Books Redcafe Book Club: January: To Paradise by Hanya Yanagihara

Desert Eagle

Punjabi Dude
What say us fellow illiterate peasants get together and attempt to conquer the mythical creature known as The Book with the magic spell called Reading.

I reckon we could get a fellowship of the willing together. One book a month seems like a reasonable endeavor. If enough folks are interested, we can collectively pick something interesting to all.

Current Members:

Desert Eagle
esmufc07
Silent Witness
Champ
17Larsson
K Stand Knut
b82REZ
Carvajal
Salt Bailly
Weepat

Potentials:
Oates
Jippy

Last edited:

Champ

Refuses to acknowledge existence of Ukraine
Love reading, nearly finished Peter Hooks account of the Hacienda which I got for xmas, 'how not to run a club', not my usual go to but have to say it's a brilliant read.

Would be down for this idea.

17Larsson

Not a malefactor just a lagomorph
Yeah I'll join this, nearly finished Lord of the Rings for the third time. I need to try something new, I'm always going back to books I already read

Desert Eagle

Punjabi Dude
I’ve tried lord of the rings a couple of times but I just find it so dull.
I've read it a couple times too. It's a masterpiece of descriptive writing and world building but definitely not a page turner. I like this critics comparision of reading to "find oneself gently rocked between bleakness and luxury, the sublime and the cosy."

17Larsson

Not a malefactor just a lagomorph
I’ve tried lord of the rings a couple of times but I just find it so dull.
I've felt that with other fantasy books, I couldn't finish them cause I just couldn't get into them but I stuck this one out and it's one of my favourite books ever now.
Anyway, this book club is a great idea

Stookie

Nurse bell end
It’s a good idea. I read a lot but it’s mainly non fiction, biographies etc. Not sure my reading taste would fit in with this group. I have read a lot of fiction in the past but nowadays it’s mainly non fiction. If you guys would like any recommendations for that I’d be happy to help.

Desert Eagle

Punjabi Dude
It’s a good idea. I read a lot but it’s mainly non fiction, biographies etc. Not sure my reading taste would fit in with this group. I have read a lot of fiction in the past but nowadays it’s mainly non fiction. If you guys would like any recommendations for that I’d be happy to help.
I reckon we'll give it a week or two more to try and get more members before deciding on the first book for February. Book choice can be voted on and your recommendations would be welcome. I'm open to anything; Non-fiction or fiction, fantasy or classics etc I was thinking of picking one of the booker/Pulitzer prize nominees ( the winners aren't usually that great).

Reactions: SilentWitness

Desert Eagle

Punjabi Dude
For you bookworms when and where do you like to read? Do you find anything helps you get more in to it?
Ideal places to read for me is during travel (trains, planes, buses) or at the beach. Mental state and ambience always helps too. Can't help but feel the urge to read when you enter a nice library for eg.

Desert Eagle

Punjabi Dude
Bump. Let's try and get 3 more members so we get to a nice round figure of ten. Then we can start the discussion on what our first book will be.

oates

No one is a match for his two masters degrees
Scout
Supports
Arsenal
I will try to be in but I've currently got a three book queue on my Kindle that are looking at me with anger.

oates

No one is a match for his two masters degrees
Scout
Supports
Arsenal
Potentially, although I've now hoarded more than 40 books I haven't read yet and I need to start reading some of them.
Oh you've been a bad boy too. They either sit there in a pile looking at you accusingly or on the Kindle warning you there's some sort of expiry date and Amazon will excommunicate me. Will that be a thing one day where if Amazon takes against you then they'll be able to stop you from buying anything at all?

carvajal

Supports
Real Madrid
I would also like to participate. How does it work? We choose a book and then comment on what we liked?

Jippy

Sleeps with tramps, bangs jacuzzis, dirty shoes
Staff
Oh you've been a bad boy too. They either sit there in a pile looking at you accusingly or on the Kindle warning you there's some sort of expiry date and Amazon will excommunicate me. Will that be a thing one day where if Amazon takes against you then they'll be able to stop you from buying anything at all?
Amazon isn't great here, it's expensive cos everything is imported. Books generally are exorbitant here, but there are three decent secondhand shops and three online retailers I tend to buy in bulk from.
The shelves are full though, so my wife will moan if I buy loads more without offloading some of the ones I've that I'm not bothered about keeping.
Kindle would be way easier, but doesn't work for me.

Desert Eagle

Punjabi Dude
I would also like to participate. How does it work? We choose a book and then comment on what we liked?
Welcome! Yes we'll choose a book this month then starting February we'll attempt to do one book a month. If we end up at exactly 11 people we could even let each member pick a book they want to read otherwise we'll do a vote.

carvajal

Supports
Real Madrid
Welcome! Yes we'll choose a book this month then starting February we'll attempt to do one book a month. If we end up at exactly 11 people we could even let each member pick a book they want to read otherwise we'll do a vote.
Thank you! Sounds great! A good way to commit to reading and finishing books.

Stig

I fear that it will be too high brow for me.

I might watch from the side lines and come on when you get to Ten Acre Wood.

Desert Eagle

Punjabi Dude
@esmufc07 @SilentWitness @Champ @17Larsson @K Stand Knut @b82REZ @carvajal @Salt Bailly

Let's get this show started. I'd like one book suggestion from each of you please, then we can do a random order generator thing to decide on which book we start with.

My suggestion: Vance Packards The Hidden Persuaders:

Originally published in 1957 and now back in print to celebrate its fiftieth anniversary, The Hidden Persuaders is Vance Packard’s pioneering and prescient work revealing how advertisers use psychological methods to tap into our unconscious desires in order to "persuade" us to buy the products they are selling.

A classic examination of how our thoughts and feelings are manipulated by business, media and politicians, The Hidden Persuaders was the first book to expose the hidden world of “motivation research,” the psychological technique that advertisers use to probe our minds in order to control our actions as consumers. Through analysis of products, political campaigns and television programs of the 1950s, Packard shows how the insidious manipulation practices that have come to dominate today’s corporate-driven world began. Featuring an introduction by Mark Crispin Miller, The Hidden Persuaders has sold over one million copies, and forever changed the way we look at the world of advertising.

Shakesy

WW Head of Recruiting
Out of interest, the books you guys choose could be fiction or non fiction? And another thing, is there a veto? What if someone chooses the bible or something?

Desert Eagle

Punjabi Dude
Out of interest, the books you guys choose could be fiction or non fiction? And another thing, is there a veto? What if someone chooses the bible or something?
I'm okay with anything as long as the person suggesting it has a genuine desire to want to read the book. Probably better not to include religious texts though or things could get messy when the discussions occur.

Drawfull

I love him. Now, this is what I don't understand about book clubs. No offence to anyone here, but why agree to read someone else's suggestion when you can read an author you like? Like Pratchett or King?
I suppose you'll be introduced to new authors. For example, I've read every Stephen King book multiple times because I struggle to take the plunge with something unknown.

Bondi77

I love him. Now, this is what I don't understand about book clubs. No offence to anyone here, but why agree to read someone else's suggestion when you can read an author you like? Like Pratchett or King?
I just saw the title and thought it was about people posting what they are reading but I realise now it is not
My bad :drool:

Champ

My suggestion is a book I've wanted to read for a long time but never really got round to it.

SS-GB by Len Deighton

Featured in an alternative history where America never stepped into WW2, the allies lost the war and Nazis control Britain. It tells the story of a British policeman who has to work under German rule to solve a murder.
It eventually became a BBC series a few years back.

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
Ring Shout by P. Djèlí Clark.

IN AMERICA, DEMONS WEAR WHITE HOODS.

In 1915, The Birth of a Nation cast a spell across America, swelling the Klan's ranks and drinking deep from the darkest thoughts of white folk. All across the nation they ride, spreading fear and violence among the vulnerable. They plan to bring Hell to Earth. But even Ku Kluxes can die.

Standing in their way is Maryse Boudreaux and her fellow resistance fighters, a foul-mouthed sharpshooter and a Harlem Hellfighter. Armed with blade, bullet, and bomb, they hunt their hunters and send the Klan's demons straight to Hell. But something awful's brewing in Macon, and the war on Hell is about to heat up.

Can Maryse stop the Klan before it ends the world?

Apparently a Netflix show is in development and I want to read it before then!

Desert Eagle

Punjabi Dude
1. You get introduced to books you might not have explored if left to your own devices.

2. The public commitment and time constraints make it more likely you'll actually finish the book

3. It's more fun and rewarding to have the community discussion

Shakesy

WW Head of Recruiting
1. You get introduced to books you might not have explored if left to your own devices.

2. The public commitment and time constraints make it more likely you'll actually finish the book

3. It's more fun and rewarding to have the community discussion
Good points. I'm a very picky and stubborn kinda reader, so it wouldn't work for me :( but I always want someone to discuss a good book with, so it's a pity.

esmufc07

Brad
Scout
@esmufc07 @SilentWitness @Champ @17Larsson @K Stand Knut @b82REZ @carvajal @Salt Bailly

Let's get this show started. I'd like one book suggestion from each of you please, then we can do a random order generator thing to decide on which book we start with.

Originally published in 1957 and now back in print to celebrate its fiftieth anniversary, The Hidden Persuaders is Vance Packard’s pioneering and prescient work revealing how advertisers use psychological methods to tap into our unconscious desires in order to "persuade" us to buy the products they are selling.

A classic examination of how our thoughts and feelings are manipulated by business, media and politicians, The Hidden Persuaders was the first book to expose the hidden world of “motivation research,” the psychological technique that advertisers use to probe our minds in order to control our actions as consumers. Through analysis of products, political campaigns and television programs of the 1950s, Packard shows how the insidious manipulation practices that have come to dominate today’s corporate-driven world began. Featuring an introduction by Mark Crispin Miller, The Hidden Persuaders has sold over one million copies, and forever changed the way we look at the world of advertising.
This sounds good!

Champ

Ring Shout by P. Djèlí Clark.

IN AMERICA, DEMONS WEAR WHITE HOODS.

In 1915, The Birth of a Nation cast a spell across America, swelling the Klan's ranks and drinking deep from the darkest thoughts of white folk. All across the nation they ride, spreading fear and violence among the vulnerable. They plan to bring Hell to Earth. But even Ku Kluxes can die.

Standing in their way is Maryse Boudreaux and her fellow resistance fighters, a foul-mouthed sharpshooter and a Harlem Hellfighter. Armed with blade, bullet, and bomb, they hunt their hunters and send the Klan's demons straight to Hell. But something awful's brewing in Macon, and the war on Hell is about to heat up.

Can Maryse stop the Klan before it ends the world?

Apparently a Netflix show is in development and I want to read it before then!
This sounds good.

Could see this being a Rockstar video game too:lol:

b82REZ

Sounds interesting, but I always find discussing non-fiction a bit boring. There's very little interpretation and things tend to be black and white. Obviously we can discuss the moral implications and the impact of advertising.

My suggestion is a book I've wanted to read for a long time but never really got round to it.

SS-GB by Len Deighton

Featured in an alternative history where America never stepped into WW2, the allies lost the war and Nazis control Britain. It tells the story of a British policeman who has to work under German rule to solve a murder.
It eventually became a BBC series a few years back.
This sounds right up my street.