RedCafe Golf 2020

Thunderhead

Supports
City
general golf thread for 2020, for pro comps and bets also for hackers to post how they're playing.

Just bought a new set of bats, Mizuno MP18-SC's on golfbidder, to replace by ancient MP33 I got off a mate a couple of years ago when thinking of taking it up again, got the 4-PW for £599 also going to purchase the MP18-MMB in the 2 and 3 iron in the new year. Currently playing off 5 after starting the season off 9 but was off 3 when playing regularly as a junior and just took it up again last year after 15 years off. Reckon if I can play 2-3 times a week next season hope to get down to 2 or at worst 3.

The Cat

Will drink milk from your hands
Hope to get back into it next year. Work has taken over this year. Usually play off 15-18 depending how much I'm able to play. No intention of buying any new clubs again bar damage. Got a spare set of the original Callaway s2H2 irons I might flog though.

Thunderhead

Supports
City
Hope to get back into it next year. Work has taken over this year. Usually play off 15-18 depending how much I'm able to play. No intention of buying any new clubs again bar damage. Got a spare set of the original Callaway s2H2 irons I might flog though.
and I thought the MP33's I had were old, though my sand iron is an old Mizuno TP11 which I've had since I was about 16, my putter is even older 1980 Wilson 8802 I got off an old bloke at the club for a £5er when I was about 13.

RexHamilton

Gumshoe for hire
Was actually going to start a thread. I got the bug again over the summer. Played a little over the years, but never got lower than 17, which I'm currently off. Aim is to get to 15 by this time next year. Hoping a little lower. Currently getting out once a week and to the range once or twice too, but being a teacher, the evenings come spring and the summer I should be able to play loads.

Recently enough, I invested in a new Taylormade M6 driver to replace my 10 year old Ping G10 one and got the M6 irons to replace a set of Wilsons that were a cheap set 20 years ago. Clubs won't make all the difference, but the difference in striking a modern iron is noticable already.

Also got a black Friday deal on these Arccos sensors because I'm a bit of a geek and reckon I'll love the stat tracking and seeing where my misses are and stuff like that. I've tried doing it on certain apps, but it's impossible to track stuff like that manually.

Anyway, hoping to play loads. Be nice to follow some of the caf members 2020 journeys too.

As for the pro golf, not his biggest fan, but I reckon McIlroy will win 2 majors in 2020.

Last edited:

DVG7

Heading to Hawaii late January and playing the plantation course, and wailea emerald. Getting new irons for Christmas (Titleist ap3) so they will get a good run out then!

DVG7

think I have the driver swing down, just about adding consistency with direction now

DVG7

Nice swing, when and where was that taken? looks a nice course
this was In September at black bear ridge in Belleville Ontario, really nice course but very tough, yet to break 80 on it

DVG7

Not a lot of golfers on the forum eh? Very few things I’d rather spend my time doing these days.

Thunderhead

Supports
City
Shot -3 today, course is playing short with winter tees and a couple of winter greens but was happy enough with that

DVG7

Shot -3 today, course is playing short with winter tees and a couple of winter greens but was happy enough with that
Where at?

Just watching the final round of the sentry tournament or champions, both JT and Schauffele had their second shot on the 7th within 170 yards and both left it terribly short nowhere near the green, great to see the best in the world struggle with conditions sometimes

One Night Only

Prison Bitch #24604
Not a lot of golfers on the forum eh? Very few things I’d rather spend my time doing these days.
I would love to retire and play golf for the rest of my days! Shame I'm only 33 and not rich though :(

I am membering up to a club this year though, played a few times but never got into it properly because I didn't drive, now I drive so it's more accessible, getting lessons too :drool: can't wait.
Where at?

Just watching the final round of the sentry tournament or champions, both JT and Schauffele had their second shot on the 7th within 170 yards and both left it terribly short nowhere near the green, great to see the best in the world struggle with conditions sometimes
The end of that tournament was great to watch, Thomas losing his ball and not bothering to look for it, Xander (no chance spelling his surname) 3 putting, and Reed managing to get into the playoff due to the shitness of the other 2 on the 18th! Amazing! Hope the rest of the tournament's go the same way :drool:

Thunderhead

Supports
City
Where at?

here never saw any of the golf, pleased Xan lost as he's my usual go to in betting and I didn't have a bet, my youngest has the same name, up here we call Schauffele, Xander Soufle as no fecker has a clue on how to pronounce it never mind spell it.

Oh yeah and the new bats I started this thread for are ace, cracking investment, I also used a mates unwanted Titleist D913 driver with a cut down shaft to drive with, lost hardly any distance but hit the ball far straighter so may have to invest another £75 in that.

RexHamilton

Gumshoe for hire
Played 8 times in the two weeks over my Christmas break which I was delighted with. Can feel the improvements in my game already. Still have the odd disaster off the tee which can be a round/score ruiner. But slowly gaining that bit of consistency.

Thunderhead

Supports
City
Played 8 times in the two weeks over my Christmas break which I was delighted with. Can feel the improvements in my game already. Still have the odd disaster off the tee which can be a round/score ruiner. But slowly gaining that bit of consistency.
that's good going, more you play the more confident you get. I like Bubba Watson theory on driving the ball, imagine you've just had a disaster on the last hole or you've just put one out of bounds, you generally rip the next one so that's what I do now, get angry with the drive, funny enough it seems to work

DVG7

here never saw any of the golf, pleased Xan lost as he's my usual go to in betting and I didn't have a bet, my youngest has the same name, up here we call Schauffele, Xander Soufle as no fecker has a clue on how to pronounce it never mind spell it.

Oh yeah and the new bats I started this thread for are ace, cracking investment, I also used a mates unwanted Titleist D913 driver with a cut down shaft to drive with, lost hardly any distance but hit the ball far straighter so may have to invest another £75 in that.
I used that driver in Florida, with a 10.5 loft and it’s the best I’ve ever driven a ball.

Currently playing callaway x2hot irons which I love, but I really want to get p790s

RexHamilton

Gumshoe for hire
that's good going, more you play the more confident you get. I like Bubba Watson theory on driving the ball, imagine you've just had a disaster on the last hole or you've just put one out of bounds, you generally rip the next one so that's what I do now, get angry with the drive, funny enough it seems to work
Haha, that's actually so true. I'll try it at the weekend. There's definitely a lot of truth in driving mistakes being mental. I generally fade my driver, sometimes becomes a slice, but generally have that left to right shot that's somewhat dependable. Then stand up on a tee where the trouble is left and this hook comes out of nowhere.

DVG7

So, managed to add in an extra course for my visit to Hawaii in what is a perfect example of “if you don’t ask you don’t get”

Messaged the director for memberships at King Kamehameha in Maui (the course used to be $250,000 to join, now a more modest $40k) and made out like it was a dream to play the course and was travelling a long way and even though it’s private, was there any chance of a tee time. Playing at 7:50am on Monday 27th Jan, probably going to end up being my favourite course ever it’s stunning.

RexHamilton

Gumshoe for hire
So, managed to add in an extra course for my visit to Hawaii in what is a perfect example of “if you don’t ask you don’t get”

Messaged the director for memberships at King Kamehameha in Maui (the course used to be $250,000 to join, now a more modest $40k) and made out like it was a dream to play the course and was travelling a long way and even though it’s private, was there any chance of a tee time. Playing at 7:50am on Monday 27th Jan, probably going to end up being my favourite course ever it’s stunning.
That's deadly. Enjoy it!

DVG7

That's deadly. Enjoy it!
Thanks! It’s still an expensive round (he charged me the rate that a member would have to pay for a guest) but to get on and play that course is really cool!

RexHamilton

Gumshoe for hire

Not bad. I always was unsure about paying big money for a round of golf. Then I got a free round at the new Adare Manor last year and I honestly can't wait to go back, €300 or not.

Spiersey

Supports
Chelsea
Not bad. I always was unsure about paying big money for a round of golf. Then I got a free round at the new Adare Manor last year and I honestly can't wait to go back, €300 or not.
Paying decent money for a round is fine if the experience is good. Unfortunately the cost doesn't always relate to it. I played Belfry and Trumps last year and both were definitely worth what they cost. Played a few in the past that I wouldn't play again though that cost £100 +

DVG7

Yeah I don’t have to pay for a membership at my home course (I do a lot of work with them and it comes with the perk of free golf on a very nice course) so I don’t have an issue when I play away from home paying month for it that would otherwise have gone towards a membership.

This one in Hawaii will take a lot to beat Cabot Cliffs in Cape Breton, think it’s top 10 in the world at the moment excluding the US courses

DVG7

Golf simulators are really stupid. Played the back 9 of spyglass last night and shot 74, could not get a hang of the putting at all and if you hit behind a tree, you’re fecked.

diarm

I've a wedding in Fort Lauderdale in August. I've never been to Florida but I reckon there have to be some cracking courses to be found in the Miami/FL area. Anyone have any recommendations?

There will be 4 of us going together and myself and the other lad have got the go ahead from the wives for at least 3 rounds seeing as we sprung for the flights and nice hotels.

We're thinking two nice but normal courses and then one special course if we can.

DVG7

I've a wedding in Fort Lauderdale in August. I've never been to Florida but I reckon there have to be some cracking courses to be found in the Miami/FL area. Anyone have any recommendations?

There will be 4 of us going together and myself and the other lad have got the go ahead from the wives for at least 3 rounds seeing as we sprung for the flights and nice hotels.

We're thinking two nice but normal courses and then one special course if we can.
palmetto is a good course, and Miami shores is supposed to be really good.

it’ll be absolutely scorching in August so I would recommend a later tee time, but when you do book be sure to use this;

https://www.golfnow.com/tee-times/hot-deals#date=Jan+28+2020

About a week out, they usually have some amazing deals. I managed to get a tee time on one in Hawaii that’s normally $219 for $90

diarm

palmetto is a good course, and Miami shores is supposed to be really good.

it’ll be absolutely scorching in August so I would recommend a later tee time, but when you do book be sure to use this;

https://www.golfnow.com/tee-times/hot-deals#date=Jan+28+2020

About a week out, they usually have some amazing deals. I managed to get a tee time on one in Hawaii that’s normally $219 for $90
Thanks man, that's great advice. I've heard that it's going to be fairly toasty alright! What are early mornings like there at that time of year?

DVG7

Thanks man, that's great advice. I've heard that it's going to be fairly toasty alright! What are early mornings like there at that time of year?
I was there in August in 2015 and it was really hot the entire time. Definitely gonna be an uncomfortable heat to golf in unless you can tee off first and get a 3/3.5 hour round in

RexHamilton

Gumshoe for hire
Played my worst round in years yesterday. Frustrating game. Couldn't string two decent shots together and handed in an embarrassing score. There's always next week I suppose.

Big Andy

Bloke
I don't really play in Winter, it's too cold, wet and generally the courses aren't great. All the gains I make during the summer seem to then take ages to get back. Over the last 3 years I've been tracking my scores (same course) and they've been improving year on year on average scores. Last year I broke 90 for the first time (I actually shot an 86) 5 shots better than my second best round ever, and during that round, I can easily remember 5-10 shots where I've fluffed it, taken 2 to get out of a bunker or missed an easily makeable putt. So the sub 80 round has to be my aim.

This year I'll start playing in April through to September, culminating in me and 3 or 4 friends competing in our own open for The Cobra (basically our own trophy we had made for the occasion). We've played it for 4 years now, and having been beaten in years 1-3, finally took it home this year.

Last year I treated myself to a full set of Callaway Rogue irons, driver and 3 wood, and an odyssey putter, all custom fit. I never thought the clubs would make much of a difference tbh, but it's mad how much they do. The irons I previously had were Sports Direct specials (Dunlop, graphite shafts) the fitter at American Golf said the clubs I had were perfect in every way, if I was a 5ft 10in 65 year old. I gained about 20 yards with each club purely by having the right length clubs.

RexHamilton

Gumshoe for hire
Yeah, new technology in clubs, along with a fitting, can make a huge difference.

I'd be the same as you normally, only playing April to September/October. And it wouldn't even be every year, some years I might only play 7/8 rounds in the whole year. But I played a lot last summer and decided to play as much over the winter as I could this year and hoping that will help me start shooting better scores earlier in the year when the proper scoring comes back into play (winter rules mean your handicap cant get cut at the minute)

DVG7

This place in general is unreal, but the golf is surreal. Shot 88 yesterday, 40 on the back 9 which was just too beautiful to put into words.

Thunderhead

Supports
City
This place in general is unreal, but the golf is surreal. Shot 88 yesterday, 40 on the back 9 which was just too beautiful to put into words.

nice, glad you enjoyed it, nothing better in golf than enjoying a course you want to play and playing it well

DVG7

Shot 85 on the wailea emerald course, had only booked 9 holes at a special rate of $96 and ended up playing the full 18 so all in all maybe the best golf experience I’ve ever had.

Thunderhead

Supports
City
Watched the Phoenix Open at the weekend, great fun and cracking finish with the putter from Simpson though Finau threw it away to give him the chance. Would be mint playing that 16th with 16000 people in stands.

DVG7

Looks like they are finally cracking down on the equipment and going to make some rule changes. Right decision, saw it with the first hole at bethpage, 20 years ago you couldn’t cut over the trees, now half the tour can