RedCafe Golf 2020

DVG7

We should anoint a Redcafe best swing champion. Mine has completely escaped me and looks horrible

One Night Only

Prison Bitch #24604
We should anoint a Redcafe best swing champion. Mine has completely escaped me and looks horrible
Not a prayer, my swing is truly awful. Massively inconsistent too, it's a real lottery in which direction my ball takes off. Played the first 5-6 holes amazing the other day, by the ,16th I couldn't even tee off with a 5 iron I was hitting everything that badly.

One Night Only

Prison Bitch #24604
Since golf has returned, I've had an average for me round, a best round for me, and a worst round ever. The joys of golf.

Going again today.

I managed to lose 8 balls on a nine hole course too :lol: 3 of them on a par 3 somehow. feckin rivers.

Rado_N

Yaaas Broncos!
Since golf has returned, I've had an average for me round, a best round for me, and a worst round ever. The joys of golf.

Going again today.

I managed to lose 8 balls on a nine hole course too :lol: 3 of them on a par 3 somehow. feckin rivers.
:lol: a bad round of golf can be frigging expensive, right?!

I hadn’t played for ages until visiting a nearby 9-holer a few weeks back and went round in 8 over which included one horror of a hole so not too bad but it’s a very short course - 7 par 3s.

Planning on getting out on a “proper” course in the next week or so, I’d best stock up on balls!

DVG7

One of the courses near me is notoriously difficult (the canadian amateur championship was held on it, field average was 82) and I was 75 through 15 holes. 16 is a reachable par 5, 17 a 185 yard par 3 and 18 is a shorter par 4 with one tree you don’t want to hit behind. I was absolutely certain I was going to break 90 for the first time on this course ( equivalent to breaking 80 at most others I’ve played) and had a putt for eagle on 16. Missed it, missed birdie putt, par. Woeful tee shot on 17, ended up with scramble bogey, and on 18 put the ball right up against the tree and had to play the ball out back on play and finished with a double, for a round score of 90. Still my best performance on that course, but not getting at least 80 hurt hard

One Night Only

Prison Bitch #24604

I hadn’t played for ages until visiting a nearby 9-holer a few weeks back and went round in 8 over which included one horror of a hole so not too bad but it’s a very short course - 7 par 3s.

Planning on getting out on a “proper” course in the next week or so, I’d best stock up on balls!
Aye, I've membered up to a local 9 hole course for 90 for 3 months, lost about 20 quids of balls when I done 18 (same nine twice, some different tee positions). Thought I was clever, 90 quid is all I'll spend for 3 months, plus petrol. How wrong I was.

Just been again today, had a steady front 9, started well on the back 9, then collapsed 4 holes from the end and started losing balls again. (Had an 11 with 3 lost balls ffs)

I think I fatigue by the last few and narrow my stance which throws everything else off.
Still good fun! It's nice to be able to do something.

Rado_N

Yaaas Broncos!
Aye, I've membered up to a local 9 hole course for 90 for 3 months, lost about 20 quids of balls when I done 18 (same nine twice, some different tee positions). Thought I was clever, 90 quid is all I'll spend for 3 months, plus petrol. How wrong I was.

Just been again today, had a steady front 9, started well on the back 9, then collapsed 4 holes from the end and started losing balls again. (Had an 11 with 3 lost balls ffs)

I think I fatigue by the last few and narrow my stance which throws everything else off.
Still good fun! It's nice to be able to do something.
Fatigue will definitely play a part in it, I think people underestimate the physical side of golf. You’re walking a fair distance and lugging the clubs around with you, and that’s without even swinging a club.

I’m by no means saying it’s like running a marathon, but energy levels will naturally drop after 3-4 hours out there, it’s important to keep some food and water in the bag.

Glad you’re enjoying it mate, it’s a great sport!

One Night Only

Prison Bitch #24604
Fatigue will definitely play a part in it, I think people underestimate the physical side of golf. You’re walking a fair distance and lugging the clubs around with you, and that’s without even swinging a club.

I’m by no means saying it’s like running a marathon, but energy levels will naturally drop after 3-4 hours out there, it’s important to keep some food and water in the bag.

Glad you’re enjoying it mate, it’s a great sport!
I love it, as terrible as I am, I am getting there with what I am doing wrong when I hit a bad shot.

I always thought stamina played no part in golf, I mean, you're only swinging a club 80-130 times in a 4 hour period.

The walking destroys you though, especially in the heat and up and down hills. I always take mars bars and plenty water. It's quite mentally draining when you fatigue too, your brain doesn't quite click in to what your doing wrong.

I need them to bring the buggies back for sure.

DVG7

Golf is amazing. It’s the only sport that doesn’t get ruined by officials from time to time, there’s absolutely no debating who the best golfer is at a tournament and the prize money reflects it perfectly. I even love the etiquette of it all, and if you have great people to golf with it’s the best way to spend 4 hours of your time IMO. The scenery is usually spectacular too, even if there was no golf course on pebble beach it would still be one of the nicest spots on the west coast.

One Night Only

Prison Bitch #24604
Golf is amazing. It’s the only sport that doesn’t get ruined by officials from time to time, there’s absolutely no debating who the best golfer is at a tournament and the prize money reflects it perfectly. I even love the etiquette of it all, and if you have great people to golf with it’s the best way to spend 4 hours of your time IMO. The scenery is usually spectacular too, even if there was no golf course on pebble beach it would still be one of the nicest spots on the west coast.
Exactly this! I could just walk a course with one of my mates and not play it and still enjoy it I reckon, they're always set in picturesque places.

Ruined by officials occasionally though, there was a thing with the women's a couple year back where a viewer phoned in and they looked at it and docked her so many shots and caused her to lose iirc.

By rules it was correct, but nobody on course had picked it up. Was weird as hell tbh

One Night Only

Prison Bitch #24604
113 today, probably my best round ever :lol: slacked the last 4-5 holes again and got atrocious scores on those.

The Cat

Will drink milk from your hands

I've not played for over a year but fancy a game at some point. I've still got a load of balls stored away - bought them slightly used off ebay I'd never buy all my balls brand new again, to someone like me (hover around 15 handicap) it makes no difference whatsoever.

DVG7

I've not played for over a year but fancy a game at some point. I've still got a load of balls stored away - bought them slightly used off ebay I'd never buy all my balls brand new again, to someone like me (hover around 15 handicap) it makes no difference whatsoever.
yep, theres no way youll catch me spending $70 on 12 golf balls, it's absurd. Ricky and JT recently played a round against each other with left handed clubs and both had scores average golfers would kill for using their normal hand. The balls are the least important piece of the puzzle, although some do spin more than others but then again, the average golfer can't consistently spin a golf ball.

The Cat

yep, theres no way youll catch me spending $70 on 12 golf balls, it's absurd. Ricky and JT recently played a round against each other with left handed clubs and both had scores average golfers would kill for using their normal hand. The balls are the least important piece of the puzzle, although some do spin more than others but then again, the average golfer can't consistently spin a golf ball.
I am quite happy to pay a bit extra for used Titleist v1s than other balls just because I like the feel of it on the putter and it gives me as much stop as any ball will. Most important though I reckon is to use the same ball all the time where you can as I find it makes a massive difference to the speed of putting even for a mid handicapper like me. I certainly don't expect an extra 20 yards off the tee just because it says Titleist on it.

The perfect solution for me would be to allow you to use a different ball just for putting - I'd never have to buy them again :)

DVG7

I am quite happy to pay a bit extra for used Titleist v1s than other balls just because I like the feel of it on the putter and it gives me as much stop as any ball will. Most important though I reckon is to use the same ball all the time where you can as I find it makes a massive difference to the speed of putting even for a mid handicapper like me. I certainly don't expect an extra 20 yards off the tee just because it says Titleist on it.

The perfect solution for me would be to allow you to use a different ball just for putting - I'd never have to buy them again :)
what’s stopping you doing that? Surely no one would bother, as long as it goes down where it should

The Cat

what’s stopping you doing that? Surely no one would bother, as long as it goes down where it should.
Up until last year I've mostly been a club member playing comps most weekends - I know people who would grass you up any chance they get.

DVG7

Up until last year I've mostly been a club member playing comps most weekends - I know people who would grass you up any chance they get.
suppose it makes sense. Do they count your clubs before every game?M

i always putt with this ball.

The Cat

suppose it makes sense. Do they count your clubs before every game?M

i always putt with this ball.

Personally I wouldn't have any problem with anyone else doing it but you know the type - telling people off for minor clothes indiscretions etc.

One Night Only

Prison Bitch #24604
Yeah, that's the thing with comps, it's a lot of people who are strict rules (which is right I suppose). I prefer just playing with mates and having a laugh, can't be arsed with George the gimp telling me I tee'd off half an inch Infront of the tee pegs, or that I wasn't wearing the correct socks for my outfit.

I agree about the balls, using the same brand consistently helps with putting, and even gives you a better yardage reference too, only a couple yards but that's the different between a bunker or the green. It's amazing the difference of a soft ball to a hard ball for a little chip onto the green imo, then again, that could just be my swing :lol:

Incidentally, what colour balls does everyone use? I started using green last year as I was always losing white in the air, struggled more with yellow, brother used orange and I hated finding them on the floor for some reason. Green really seems to stand out quite well for me on the courses we play. Get some snotty looks for using a coloured ball but it seems to becoming more and more common.

DVG7

Played yesterday at fox Harb’r resort, tiger woods set the course record of 63 in 2009. Maybe my favourite course I’ve ever played.

calodo2003

Flaming Full Member
I stopped topping everything after half a round and instead I now just slice everything off the tee after about the 10th-11th.

I need to get myself some lessons
They do help. If you have time on the course, have someone tape your swing on a couple of troubling shots. Visual aid can help stem the tide on manor swing issues.

One Night Only

Prison Bitch #24604
They do help. If you have time on the course, have someone tape your swing on a couple of troubling shots. Visual aid can help stem the tide on manor swing issues.
I wouldn't dare watch it, I feel like I would look like an octopus being electrocuted.

Kag

I stopped topping everything after half a round and instead I now just slice everything off the tee after about the 10th-11th.

I need to get myself some lessons
Best thing you’ll ever do. Four lessons and a bit of practice and you’ll be shooting into the 90s quite comfortably. Good luck getting rid of your slice - I’ve been there.

calodo2003

Flaming Full Member
I wouldn't dare watch it, I feel like I would look like an octopus being electrocuted.
It’s enlightening, watching yourself swing. It also gives you the ability to put the instructor’s words into physical context. Typically, lessons nowadays are recorded, which is only helpful.

Just think of it like when you heard your voice recorded for the first time. It’s a bit of a shock, but you will become desensitized to it.

Rado_N

Yaaas Broncos!
:lol:

I'd echo the above though, lessons and watching your swing will absolutely help.

Finding a few points of focus is good too, I've noticed in the past that at times my swing could get lazy and I'd bend my elbows on the backswing. My natural poor shot is also a slice. So I'll carefully position my feet, then move my right foot ever so slightly backwards and make a point of checking my shoulders, and then always be sure I'm keeping my left arm straight for as long as possible to ensure a nice wide backswing.

These little points give you a consistent focus on the structure of your swing and once you find your rhythm it should help things click a little.

Thunderhead

Supports
City
just good to be playing again but I stll hate putting with the flag in, don't trust it at all

Buchan

has whacked the hammer to Roswell
First major of the year tees off tomorrow from Harding Park, San Francisco, a testing par-70 municipal course on the Pacific coastline. There’s few events previously hosted there to go from but it did hold WGCs in 2005 and 2015 (won by Woods and McIlroy respectively) and the Presidents Cup in 2009.

There’s indications that the fairways have been narrowed up to 60% of their usual width and the rough left very long, which should make a difficult test for the players and great viewing for fans.

Trying to reduce my shortlist at the moment but I have some combination of the following in mind: Schaufelle @ 16/1, Cantlay @ 22/1, Woods @ 30/1, Berger @ 33/1, Day @ 33/1 and Fleetwood @ 35/1.

What are your thoughts on what we have in store this week?

calodo2003

Flaming Full Member
Hopefully we will see the silliness of Bryson forgotten this week & shotmaking come to the fore. This is a good golf course.

calodo2003

Flaming Full Member
First major of the year tees off tomorrow from Harding Park, San Francisco, a testing par-70 municipal course on the Pacific coastline. There’s few events previously hosted there to go from but it did hold WGCs in 2005 and 2015 (won by Woods and McIlroy respectively) and the Presidents Cup in 2009.

There’s indications that the fairways have been narrowed up to 60% of their usual width and the rough left very long, which should make a difficult test for the players and great viewing for fans.

Trying to reduce my shortlist at the moment but I have some combination of the following in mind: Schaufelle @ 16/1, Cantlay @ 22/1, Woods @ 30/1, Berger @ 33/1, Day @ 33/1 and Fleetwood @ 35/1.

What are your thoughts on what we have in store this week?
Schaufelle & Berger are good shouts.

diarm

Looking forward to watching the Koepka/Rose pairing this evening. Two quality golfers and an interesting clash of styles, I fancy one or both of them to go well tonight.

croadyman

SPOILER ALERT (don't read if you want to avoid the result)

What an absolute heartbreaker for Casey and much like the 2009 Open was Westwood's last chance you can't help but feel the same applies here for him.

Typical that Morikawa gets a fortunate bounce of the ball on the 16th and then rubs salt in the wound by nailing the eagle putt.

Last edited:

diarm

SPOILER ALERT (don't read if you want to avoid the result)

What an absolute heartbreaker for Casey and much like the 2009 Open was Westwood's last chance you can't help but feel the same applies here for him.

Typical that Morikawa gets a fortunate bounce of the ball on the 16th and then rubs salt in the wound by nailing the eagle putt.
Heartbreaker for Casey? I had a tenner on him at 26/1.

croadyman

QUOTE="diarm, post: 25879605, member: 90032"]
Heartbreaker for Casey? I had a tenner on him at 26/1.
[/QUOTE]

Well done, he was so unbelievably close to ending that 100 year wait for an English winner of the US PGA

Last edited: