RedCafe has become toxic as feck.

Water Melon

This place will never be a Top Reds place and thanks feck for that. This place will never ever have a RAWK-level of delusion. People used to moan while SAF was in charge and some of that moaning was quite on spot even then, imo. You do not like a forum, ignore it. You do not like a thread, ignore it. You do not like a poster, ignore him/her. For me it is the best football forum out there, the best platform on the planet to discuss Manchester United.

UnitedSofa

You'll Never Walk Away
Oh my, how can United fans possibly discuss who should manage their club next when everybody knows we have the new Sir Alex currently managing us!?

Back in the real world, Manchester United is one of the biggest clubs on the planet which is now a team that yoyos between top 4 and 5th/6th for the last 8 seasons now. If you expect United fans to be "happy" then let's also accept that we are not an ambitious club and stop all and any complaining against the Glazers and accept our place as an also ran that is fine with watching City and Liverpool win everything.

I don't get this obsesion some have with the current state of the club needing to be seen as acceptable or just fine. And you'll respond by saying "But it's about stopping abuse and not wanting everything smiley!". Well, that's the nature of the beast which is social media in this case. Redcafe exists within modern society not outside of it. People are angry with the way the club is run, they will vent that feeling - especially on the biggest United forum.

Someone said in another thread that they havent seen another place where people are clamouring for a "safe space" as we see at the caf, and I agree with that.
You see was that needed? 'Real World'? Come on now.

Like I said, I've been guily myself of being sarcastic at times, but now I'm noticing how bad it has got around here and I have been a little condescending when maybe I shouldn't have and looking at what is going on around me, it's just not nice here anymore.

I'm not looking for a 'safe space', wanting it to be all 'smiley' nor am I a 'snowflake' but there's a distinct difference between being abusive and criticism. That's just simplfying everything for the sake of making a point, that's far more complex than "Being smiley" and "Hurling absue" there's a happy (ironcially) medium.

Nor am I saying that you can't be critical of the club or the manager, but don't go hurling personal abuse at the guy or other members of the CAF just because they don't agree with you .

@UnitedSofa you have made two threads since yesterday: One criticising how fans treat journalists and one criticising the way the CAF's gone.

Putting aside the fact that, in broad terms, I agree with you about how journalists are treated, I don't see how its okay for you to vent but nobody else to.

Basically you've started two threads telling the rest of the world that you disapprove of how many of us are prats. Personally, I have no issue with that. Nothing wrong with someone having an opinion. On one of those counts, as I said, I agree with you.

However, if you are entitled to air your opinions why be surprised at others doing the same? Why be surprised if those opinions are not relentlessly positive? We are not exactly riding high. Again, I actually agree with you that sacking Ole would not solve anything. However, I don't think you can expect people to have a happy outlook when we are in a bad place right now.

Is the CAF toxic? Well that's an opinion. Plenty on here disagree with me. That's their right. I still think its the best forum for Man Utd chat. That is just my opinion though.
Come on now. Don't go simplfying it.

Do you feel as though I'm calling you a prat? Or just the general feel of the place right now?

I haven't named anyone nor have I called anyone out for their behaviour. If you feel personally affected by the thread, then that's on you.

We are in a bad place right now, so now more so than ever we need to stick together. Even if we disagree, we all want the best for the club, so let's all stick together and don't go hurling abuse at one another and divide us even more.

'Man Utd chat. Yes, chat, not Man Utd arguments, which it usually evolves into.

Glorio

A lot of people are just dark and miserable under the facade and it leaks out when they're hidden behind a screen.

b82REZ

Is it really criticism or is it abuse?

Usually I find when people say that sweeping statement they're masking their abuse as criticism when it's just not needed.

That being said I do agree with you on this:
Isn't that exactly what you're doing though? The lack of self awareness is amazing.

Zoo

There are some people who am not sure even support United that post here often posting threads with pictures.

jeff_goldblum

Undoubtedly, the football forum is the worst it's been since I started lurking 12+ years ago. A lot of the louder posters are either entrenched in a viewpoint and only acknowledge evidence supporting that viewpoint, or else ludicrously kneejerk to the extent that a few bad results is the end of days. Like others have said, today's forum would have hounded Fergie out years before he won any Silverware.

Obviously an array of opinions make a forum what it is and RAWK-ish clampdowns on dissent aren't good. But equally, the closed-mindedness, over-emotive hyperbole, inability to debate in good faith and general nastiness in here over the last few months (although it's been moving this way for a while now) is exactly what we used to make fun of RAWK for.

One of the major things contributing to the above is the tendency to label any poster you disagree with as being part of a larger group with an agenda (e.g - Pogba fanboys/haters Ole In-ers/Out-ers) in order to dismiss their viewpoint as irrational. Half the reason people are here instead of on Facebook or YouTube is to avoid that style of 'debate'.

Hound Dog

Supports
Whoever I bet on
People are more and more reactionary these days, not just redcafe but in general. We expect instant gratification and perfection and when it doesn’t happen people react negatively.

Man Utd fans have also been spoilt with success for a long period of time so are having a hard time accepting our current status, it’s difficult to take to be fair.

You can’t win all the time and if you can’t find joy in the game when things are not going right for your club then you will end up twisted and bitter, I am not happy with the way the club is run but the odd cup run or big night at OT keeps me going.

It probably helps that I have been a supporter since the late 80’s and so success wasn’t ever guaranteed back then.

Enjoy the bits you can and swear at the TV at the appropriate times, it’s not so bad really! Man Utd, sometimes great, some times terrible but never boring.
The instant gratification bit is all fine and well, but it is a bit of a trope not applicable to this scenario. It has been seven years.

And this entire idea of being spoilt constantly lowers the expectations. Spoiled compared to who, Rochdale fans? Sure. Bayern or Real fans? No way. And these are the clubs United should be comparing itself with.

This is a view that I can understand from English fans as I am sure you all encounter fans of Stockport West Ham etc in day to day life. However, the majority of the fanbase is international and do not view themselves as spoiled as they are colliding with other "glory hunting" fans whose clubs are far more successful than United. Actually, the majority of people who support not only United but any large club do so because the club was vastly successful at one point in time.

Apart from the Milan clubs, no other club of United's size finds itself in a similarly bad state.

And no, I do not consider Arsenal to be a club of United's size.

soapythecat

I get your point but fans reaction is driven by the reality of what we see on the pitch.
SM plays a huge part in this and it’s not just United fans. I’ve not seen them but I’ve heard some horror stories about YouTube channels.
We have every right to criticise the club, manager and players when what we see on the pitch is utter dross - which it has for a year. When we start making progress beyond 66 points getting us a very fortunate top 4 place, then perhaps opinions will change.
Is Roy Keane toxic as feck when he calls out the players and call them this and that?

b82REZ

There are some people who am not sure even support United that post here often posting threads with pictures.
Again this is an issue. Sly digs at posters without even having the decency to tag them or call them out from their threads or posts. Just passive aggressive bullshit posted to make you feel like a better supporter.

UnitedSofa

You'll Never Walk Away
Isn't that exactly what you're doing though? The lack of self awareness is amazing.
Not at all.

I'm talking about the general feel of the place, I'm not saying criticism = toxic at all! If I did, that would be a sweeping statement. I've said plenty of times, you can have both positive chat and criticism, but don't let the criticism evolve into abuse.

My self awareness is just fine, I've said in plenty of threads here that I've been sarcastic at times when I shouldn't have been.

b82REZ

Not at all.

I'm talking about the general feel of the place, I'm not saying criticism = toxic at all! If I did, that would be a sweeping statement. I've said plenty of times, you can have both positive chat and criticism, but don't let the criticism evolve into abuse.

My self awareness is just fine, I've said in plenty of threads here that I've been sarcastic at times when I shouldn't have been.
Well I suggest you edit your OP because it certainly comes across as very preachy and top reddy.

Vidyoyo

The bad "V"
I don't think it's toxic really. I've been on other forums that are much more toxic than this place, even at the worst of times (like now).

This is also obviously a really low moment for us as we lost 6-1 to Spurs at the weekend and didn't sign Sancho. People sure do love a moan but those two factors combined are massive but aren't going to happen every week. At this time, I'd say let it ride out as it'll get better next time we win.

If you don't like it, then you can always:

a) create a decent thread that isn't just a knee-jerk positivity thread as that tends to be half the problem (they never seem sincere)
b) disengage, make fun of posters nicely and remember that you're here for a bit of fun, not to get into heated debates
c) concentrate your anger on glaston. controversy fuels him so he'll be happy

Finally, you can do it. I believe in you.

UnitedSofa

You'll Never Walk Away
I get your point but fans reaction is driven by the reality of what we see on the pitch.
SM plays a huge part in this and it’s not just United fans. I’ve not seen them but I’ve heard some horror stories about YouTube channels.
We have every right to criticise the club, manager and players when what we see on the pitch is utter dross - which it has for a year. When we start making progress beyond 66 points getting us a very fortunate top 4 place, then perhaps opinions will change.
Is Roy Keane toxic as feck when he calls out the players and call them this and that?
Again, I'm not saying criticism = toxicity. That's what a lot of posters need to understand.

You can have critisicm and you can even be scathing, but you can't throw abuse at people and expect it to be a happy place:

I.e.:

Maguire was poor there, he left his man and he's slow as anything, he needs to read the game better = Fine.

Maguire is fecking shit, he's slow as anything and what a wet blanket, can't even stand up to the ref, what a cretin. = Abuse.

Not the greatest abuse example but you get my point

Mihai

This place will never be a Top Reds place and thanks feck for that. This place will never ever have a RAWK-level of delusion. People used to moan while SAF was in charge and some of that moaning was quite on spot even then, imo. You do not like a forum, ignore it. You do not like a thread, ignore it. You do not like a poster, ignore him/her. For me it is the best football forum out there, the best platform on the planet to discuss Manchester United.
I think it has become a lot more like rawk recently. I don't remember this level of toxicity when i signed (with the exception of match day threads maybe).

Zoo

Again this is an issue. Sly digs at posters without even having the decency to tag them or call them out from their threads or posts. Just passive aggressive bullshit posted to make you feel like a better supporter.
Why should I tag him when he starts a thread, then when City get smashed for 5 and his OP gets questioned he refuses to come back into that thread. He’ll carry on starting new ones though.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
I'm not looking for a 'safe space', wanting it to be all 'smiley' nor am I a 'snowflake' but there's a distinct difference between being abusive and criticism. That's just simplfying everything for the sake of making a point, that's far more complex than "Being smiley" and "Hurling absue" there's a happy (ironcially) medium.
I mean, when there's anger there is going to be some abuse. I don't believe I go in that direction except possibly the odd time calling Woodward or our transfer activity clownish etc, but you get all types here. As much as it would be great for each individual to channel his/her critique in the most logical, rational and well-thought out manner possible, it's also unrealistic, when you look at the state of other platforms /social media and the situation the club finds itself in. As I said, recafe is a part of the United fan base and society as a whole and will reflects it's mood.

Btw, you should have seen this place in the early 2000s. Much less filter on people back then and much more abuse. It's just that we were a better team then.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
You are right but it's a reflection of the club at the moment. Everybody from the fans to the players feel it.
Reflection of society more like.

People seem to use Social media as a release that they can trash on and abuse anybody they aren't happy with - with no come backs.

Talk to somebody like that in real life and you'd most likely get put on your ass, but everbody is safe behind their screens. Kids/young adults seem the worst for it these days as they've grown up doing it.

RedChisel

What really grinds my gears is how reactionary some fans are. Players written off after a couple of bad games. Calls for Maguire to be stripped of the captaincy and even sold after one bad game and AWB written off as dead wood already, I've even seen Bruno labelled as such. Players are either world class or terrible and it changes from game to game. There's no perspective and sensible thinking with some fans anymore.

cyberman

This place is over the top though. To the point posters were attacking match going fans for not creating a toxic atmosphere at games.
Outside of here or twitter im not reading or hearing any Rashford v Martial arguments or fans shitting on other fans who want to give Ole time as Ole cultists or whatever over the top phrase thats used these days. Hell we shit on players who havent even played for us yet. Match day threads are a no go for a reason.
A lot of discussion has disappeared over time in here, its just tweets in longer forms.
Quiet when we are winning, stampeding on when we dont.

RedNed77

Whilst I agree that it is sad that it has got to this, I think a lot of fans are feeling pretty helpless right now whilst watching the club continuously make mistakes. Not only this, but they try to fob the supporters off with obvious PR spin in the media, which only serves to stir the pot with those of us that can recognise when we're being 'had on'.

Unfortunately, it feels to most of us that to 'play nice' and offer constructive criticism whilst biting our tongues on other issues, simply lets those running the club off the hook. As fans we want to bring change, but we feel helpless because our owners and CEO insulate themselves from the public completely. There simply is no other way for us than to voice our discontent through any channel we can and, for once, I fully endorse it. I, and obviously most of you, can see that this club is just not meeting the standards expected of them. And let's be honest, they benefit immensely from the fans. The level of income we collectively spend to support them, the leverage such a huge and loyal fanbase brings in discussions with sponsors etc. We absolutely have every right to criticise. This club was started and built into what it was by the supporters and the local community. Never forget that this is our club, not theirs, and we are absolutely entitled to get angry when we can see it being run into the ground and sucked dry for all the money they enjoy because of us.
I'm kind of torn on this. I've been a moaner in the past, then I reformed and tried to not take everything so seriously after realising how grindingly depressing it was for all concerned to read constant moaning. Now I feel like I want to complain about stuff and would be justified in doing so but don't want to contribute further to what has become a grim atmosphere.

b82REZ

Why should I tag him when he starts a thread, then when City get smashed for 5 and his OP gets questioned he refuses to come back into that thread. He’ll carry on starting new ones though.
So mention it in his thread, don't make a completely irrelevant comment in a different thread.

Most of the "toxicity" on the forum comes from the sort of bullshit you've posted in this thread. It happens in most threads and adds nothing to the forum.

Cloud7

Toxic has become the buzzword around the caf since SAF left. The posts on here now aren’t even as bad as they were under Moyes or Jose. Whenever I see these things I can’t help but feel like it’s just people who aren’t seeing what they want to see. What’s the point in forced positivity about football? It’s not like it’s your real life where there are tangible benefits to being positive about things. It’s a fecking football club. You aren’t obligated to force yourself to be positive even when things are bleak.

tomaldinho1

Personally I find the match day thread are usually pretty vile but it's hardly toxic for people to make threads about predicting Ole getting sacked - it's a bit ridiculous but it's relevant and also possible. It'd be no different to creating a thread saying predict when Woodward gets sacked but no doubt that would be lauded as a funny and good use of a poll/thread.

The club is in a really bad moment (comparatively) but you have to be able to have open discussions. There's a definite argument, from a business perspective, that Woodward has actually done well. There's an argument every manager has been well backed and, whilst our board could (and probably should) sanction more spending it's sensible they don't because so far we've not found the right manager. There's pretty overwhelming evidence, in people's opinions, that Ole isn't up to the job and that a number of our players are probably not the level we thought/want them to be. It doesn't matter if you agree or disagree that's why the caf is popular because you can find some knowledgeable and interesting people on here and debate viewpoints.

My biggest issue is there seems to be a huge section of United supporters who simply can't separate the owners from anything we see on the pitch. 'Not even SAF could get top four with this team',' it doesn't matter if Poch came he'd be thrown under the bus by the board as well' and so on & probably that viewpoint factors in to this thread being created. We should report anything that is truly toxic but not just label things we disagree with as such.

Lennon7

nipple flasher and door destroyer
Well said mate. I’m just going to be taking the opportunity to tell the fickle, nasty portion of our fans (who I’d have no doubt would boo at games) to feck off

JohnZSmith27

Yeah I don't particularly like the incessant moaning but at least people are allowed to speak their mind. If you look at places like r/reddevils its insane. They delete threads and posts constantly.

Bestietom

I have followed Manchester United since 1959. I have seen bad times and good times. Relegation and winning the League and Cups. I have been to see them play all over, and seen some world class players from different countries as well as ones that played with us. Many managers have come and gone in that time and this will happen again.
When in Manchester for several years I seen young players in our academy , including 1992 and before. I have been over earlier this year Feb. and seen some of the youngsters and My Opinion is that we have got some great prospects coming through, and we are on the right track. I hope I live to see these young players become United Legends like I have seen in the past. We could certainly do with a Best, Law, and Charlton now.

MyOnlySolskjaer

Creator of Player Performance threads
I think Redcafe is the best it's ever been. Constant entertainment, feels like we'll get a "can Fred replace Mike Phelan?" thread at any moment. Keeps you on your toes.

Zoo

So mention it in his thread, don't make a completely irrelevant comment in a different thread.

Most of the "toxicity" on the forum comes from the sort of bullshit you've posted in this thread. It happens in most threads and adds nothing to the forum.
That’s your opinion. Mine is that posters who won’t back up what they say adds to the toxicity of the forum which is what this thread is about. It’s not irrelevant.

makes new threads with tweets in the OP
You see was that needed? 'Real World'? Come on now.

Like I said, I've been guily myself of being sarcastic at times, but now I'm noticing how bad it has got around here and I have been a little condescending when maybe I shouldn't have and looking at what is going on around me, it's just not nice here anymore.

Nor am I saying that you can't be critical of the club or the manager, but don't go hurling personal abuse at the guy or other members of the CAF just because they don't agree with you .

Come on now. Don't go simplfying it.

Do you feel as though I'm calling you a prat? Or just the general feel of the place right now?

I haven't named anyone nor have I called anyone out for their behaviour. If you feel personally affected by the thread, then that's on you.

We are in a bad place right now, so now more so than ever we need to stick together. Even if we disagree, we all want the best for the club, so let's all stick together and don't go hurling abuse at one another and divide us even more.

'Man Utd chat. Yes, chat, not Man Utd arguments, which it usually evolves into.
No.

I don't but that was the point I was making. You don't like the state of the CAF at the moment and that's fine. You are entitled to broadcast your view. Nobody has an issue with it. By the same token you gotta accept other people may have different views. What's good for the goose is good for the gander.

Again, that's your opinion and you are entitled to express it. Many people are going to take the opposite view. They are equally as entitled to say so too.

Undoubtedly, the football forum is the worst it's been since I started lurking 12+ years ago. A lot of the louder posters are either entrenched in a viewpoint and only acknowledge evidence supporting that viewpoint, or else ludicrously kneejerk to the extent that a few bad results is the end of days. Like others have said, today's forum would have hounded Fergie out years before he won any Silverware.

Obviously an array of opinions make a forum what it is and RAWK-ish clampdowns on dissent aren't good. But equally, the closed-mindedness, over-emotive hyperbole, inability to debate in good faith and general nastiness in here over the last few months (although it's been moving this way for a while now) is exactly what we used to make fun of RAWK for.

One of the major things contributing to the above is the tendency to label any poster you disagree with as being part of a larger group with an agenda (e.g - Pogba fanboys/haters Ole In-ers/Out-ers) in order to dismiss their viewpoint as irrational. Half the reason people are here instead of on Facebook or YouTube is to avoid that style of 'debate'.
Again, its a discussion forum. You are going to get a range of views. Some people are just negative people. Lots of people were complaining when we were winning title after title under Fergie. The Zombie Football thread was one of the most popular threads on the CAF in Sir Alex's last couple of years as manager.

I don't really understand why it affects anyone that someone else has a different point of view. We're not drones working for a Queen bee.

Some people swear blind that Poch will solve everything. Personally, I think that's fanciful. However, its an open forum and they have the right to say what they think even if I dislike it.

All that stuff about 'agenda' posters. It is what it is. People say their piece and then people are free to agree or disagree with it. Is the value of an opinion measured by how many people acknowledge it or don't? The CAF is here for us to express our opinions to others. That's it. You put it out there. Some people will say 'great' some people will say 'BS.' That's life.

tombombadil

Not too sure where to put this, but I enjoyed coming to this place over the years and only lately have started to post more.

But I have seen far too many posts lately that are being abusive to our own manager, abusive to our own players, abusive to the owners, abusive to the CEO it's just disgusting to see.

Plenty of Ole Out threads that come up time and time again, 'predicting the date of when Ole gets the sack', "next man utd manager xx/xx" - I hate to see it because those type of threads are just full of the typical toxic football fan.

"Predict the date Ole gets the sack" What the fcuk?!

Our club has become divided and this isn't the place nor is it the time to discuss those matters, which have contributed to it.

But I'm fed up of seeing people attributed to our club get personal abuse and disgusting takes thrown their way.

Just now the Maguire one, where someone is calling for a new captain at the club. Calling Maguire all the names under the sun over a 30 second clip of him calming Rashford down, accepting the ref's decision and getting the players to get back into the game again. (Again not the time to discuss it, go to the thread) - 30 seconds! They're basing his whole captaincy on 1 30 second clip. What's he gonna do shout and scream at the ref and get booked himself?

The toxicity has skyrocketed since not getting Sancho and people are slating every single player we have bought this summer. Yet we haven't even seen them play yet.

RedCafe is in danger of becoming a toxic place to be for Man Utd fans and we need to get back to how it used to be. A fun place to discuss, everything Man Utd related.
You're right. People voicing their frustrations is one thing.

It's gone beyond that into people being toxic for the sake of gratifying themselves. The amount of toxic, vitriolic, bile thrown by "fans" beggars belief. It's a mob. The torches are lit and the pitch forks are waving in the air.

Lentwood

It’s because they changed the rules on letting newbies post. This used to be one of the best football forums on the Internet, full of knowledgeable and sensible fans from clubs all over the world

Now it’s flooded with the kind of idiots who should stick to writing “Ole out” on the clubs latest instagram post

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
I do think the newbie rule is a bit shit to be fair. There are some good posts by them, but I also see a wide array of bizzare ones.

shaky

Toxic has become the buzzword around the caf since SAF left. The posts on here now aren’t even as bad as they were under Moyes or Jose. Whenever I see these things I can’t help but feel like it’s just people who aren’t seeing what they want to see. What’s the point in forced positivity about football? It’s not like it’s your real life where there are tangible benefits to being positive about things. It’s a fecking football club. You aren’t obligated to force yourself to be positive even when things are bleak.
Is not feeling positive an excuse to be constantly negative, to the point of abusive? Because that's how many people seem to be acting.

GDaly95

Says he's one of the best posters
The worst part for me is the way in which people disagree with each other. It's as patronizing as possible.

You'll see really unnecessary put-downs laced through most comments. Just don't see the point in it.

Gavinb33

I see it on here and on Twitter, I think I was probably like it at some point to be honest.

I think when you put a lot of your happiness into the results your football team get on Saturday and they are not performing you need an outlet to vent your anger, now this anger might not be just at football but because you don't have another avenue to vent that anger you take it out on people/things that you can notably players/board/club.

That result on Sunday wouldve infuriated me for days in my younger years, but now I was pissed for like an hour or so and then my wife made me laugh we went out for a walk and I realised my life is to good to waste be angry about a football match.

I have a similar outlook on what has happened this week players come and players go, we have missed players in the past and gone on to do great things, we have signed unheralded players in the past who have failed however some have succeeded I am of the wait and see bunch maybe because I have always deep down been an optimist

Foxbatt

A lot of the toxicity just originates from a sect of our fans having a cult like devotion to whoever our manager is. This was there under Moyes, Van Gaal and especially under Mourinho too.

Whenever the cult leader is under any type of pressure, the sect will burn down the entire club to deflect attention away from him.
so a bit like the followers of Donald Trump?

Cloud7

Is not feeling positive an excuse to be constantly negative, to the point of abusive? Because that's how many people seem to be acting.
Well if you’re not being positive, then chances are you’ll be negative. Football is rarely something that people are neutral about. Abusive? What a joke. Abusive is the people that tag Lingard in all those vicious stuff on twitter. Abusive is the guy that was almost in Pogba’s face shouting at him during Jose’s time here. That’s abusive, and those things have no place anywhere.

An online forum where we post among each other, I fail to see how things we see on here are abusive.

Tarrou

the internets turned us normal folk into cnuts, and all the cnuts into conspiracy nuts or right-wing terrorists