Redcafe Snooker

Bertie Wooster

The results yesterday were as dominant as I can remember for the higher ranked players in each match.

Bingham went out but I don't think that even counts as a shock to be honest, he's not been the same player at all since his return to the tour.

And his 22/23 season has been an absolute train wreck, the only tournament in which he's remotely shone is the Masters and he didn't earn any ranking points for that.

Yesterdays results have set up some cracking potential matches later in the tournament.
I was pleased for Jackson Page - he's giving himself a real chance of staying on the tour this time around.

But I was gutted for Michael White - threw away two 60+ leads after going 2-0 up. That missed red in the 3rd frame! I liked him earlier in his career, and was eager to see him get back on the Main Tour. He's doing OK, but he's capable of a lot more and he can hopefully get back to challenging for ranking titles again at some point.

ChrisNelson

Yeah Michael White is an interesting one, on the main tour for a while and even a seed at the Crucible a few years ago.

Has shown signs of improvement but needs to keep going.

It was a shame for him and Mark Williams - and the local crowd of course - that they got drawn against each other.

Bertie Wooster

Interesting afternoon of Snooker so far.

Robertson and Ding Junhui both lost 4-0 - neither in great form but both being whitewashed is a shock.

Now Ronnie's tip twice coming off and him being right up against it v Amateur Ross Muir. He's clearly, and understandably, struggling to trust his cue and tip and it's changed the whole match so far.

Pleased to see young Ben Mertens get a win. Shame it was against another youngster, Jackson Page, but I'm enjoying seeing the likes of Mertens, Page, (Liam) Davies get some wins. And with Leclercq reaching the recent Shoot-Out Final, and Stan Moody qualifying for the Tour next season, then it's been a good spell for the younger group of players that I've been cheering on for the last couple of years. :)

ChrisNelson

Robertson's performance was just horrible.

Ding couldn't get going either although because he lost to another Chinese player the score was probably pre-arranged anyway :) what?

Muir spent many seasons as a pro so it wouldn't be as big a shock as some, but after struggles with his eyesight and a temporary retirement it would still be impressive.

Articles like this don't help the sport though: Ali Carter: 'Maybe 90% of players on tour have got no money' - BBC Sport

Ronnie about to go 2-2, confident he will close the match out from here.

Bertie Wooster

Now Ronnie loses a frame on the third miss rule - in angry fashion!

Set for a final frame decider with Ronnie not in a good place mentally. Anything could happen.

ChrisNelson

Now Ronnie loses a frame on the third miss rule - in angry fashion!

Set for a final frame decider with Ronnie not in a good place mentally. Anything could happen.
Oooh I missed that, blimey you don't see that very often and surprised he fell in to the trap!

As for the glove I think it's a bit of a Muir trademark from the old days!

Bertie Wooster

Great victory for Ben Mertens tonight - 4-3 against the there-or-thereabouts top 16 player Dave Gilbert. It included a 130 break for the young Belgian - although Gilbert responded with a tournament high 142.

Mertens now has a last 16 meeting with Ronnie O'Sullivan - tip permitting! Really looking forward to seeing how Ben copes with a match against Ronnie in the later stages of a ranking tournament.

Bertie Wooster

Has Reanne Evans got it in her contract that she has to be on the BBC coverage every session! :lol:

I think she's been in the studio Afternoon and Evening all four days so far. Considering she's only won about one match ever on the Main Tour, and the amount of other current / former players that I'm sure would love to do some punditry, it's strange she seems to be getting the role every session.

ChrisNelson

Has Reanne Evans got it in her contract that she has to be on the BBC coverage every session! :lol:

I think she's been in the studio Afternoon and Evening all four days so far. Considering she's only won about one match ever on the Main Tour, and the amount of other current / former players that I'm sure would love to do some punditry, it's strange she seems to be getting the role every session.
I'd get used to it because she is the only female snooker player that most people know!

And coverage of all sports now has to show a balance - rightly so - and therefore you will see Reanne everywhere on the BBC, ITV and Eurosport.

English players dominate the Womens rankings but it's a stretch to see Mink Nutcharut or On Yee Ng in the box!

Also I think generally she is very good, it's not my favourite accent to listen to but she's very knowledgeable.

Bertie Wooster

I'd get used to it because she is the only female snooker player that most people know!

And coverage of all sports now has to show a balance - rightly so - and therefore you will see Reanne everywhere on the BBC, ITV and Eurosport.

English players dominate the Womens rankings but it's a stretch to see Mink Nutcharut or On Yee Ng in the box!

Also I think generally she is very good, it's not my favourite accent to listen to but she's very knowledgeable.
Is it 'rightly so' (i.e. necessary) in all cases, though? Or should it also depend on the individual case of the specific Sport - and the version of it ( male / female) - being shown, and it's demographic, levels of diversity, etc, and reflecting that representation in the 'balance' of the coverage?

Yes, it's now the 'Main Tour' because there's spots for some female players - but there's only 4 out of about 128 players, and they've barely won any matches between them so they're making no impact on it, so I don't see why there currently has to be a sense that 'we need a female pundit' for balance. Especially when, as you say, there's only really one to choose from compared to endless amount of current / former male players so common sense should say it's just simple numbers, not sexism, to see an all male punditry panel on Snooker.

She's as knowledgeable as most of the others, so no issue at all with her being amongst the list of many pundits - but not a great accent and a rather boring delivery, and only has about one win ever on the Main Tour, and a high ranking of about 115, so definitely doesn't deserve such a contrastingly high amount of punditry work to others when based on merit. But, as you say, she's going to be everywhere because of 'balance' - which is a contradiction as it actually creates an imbalance in terms of how much punditry work she's getting compared to others.

Last edited:

Bertie Wooster

Win for Jack today over David Lilley. Into the last 16 tonight v Yuan Sijun. :)

His route has been made a little easier with upsets, as he should (by rankings) have been facing Ricky Walden this afternoon and Neil Robertson tonight. Though Yuan Sijun is a solid player well capable of beating him so taking nothing for granted there.

And there's always a chance amateur Daniel Wells could be awaiting the winner in the QF - though he's got to get over the line v Judd, and then beat Shaun Murphy tonight, so I'm not putting any money on that.

Wells is having a very good season and is actually #1 or #2 in the 1 year list of players looking to get / stay on the Tour next season, so is very well set to be one of the 4 players who qualify through that route.

ChrisNelson

Is it 'rightly so' (i.e. necessary) in all cases, though? Or should it also depend on the individual case of the specific Sport - and the version of it ( male / female) - being shown, and it's demographic, levels of diversity, etc, and reflecting that representation in the 'balance' of the coverage?

Yes, it's now the 'Main Tour' because there's spots for some female players - but there's only 4 out of about 128 players, and they've barely won any matches between them so they're making no impact on it, so I don't see why there currently has to be a sense that 'we need a female pundit' for balance. Especially when, as you say, there's only really one to choose from compared to endless amount of current / former male players so common sense should say it's just simple numbers, not sexism, to see an all male punditry panel on Snooker.

She's as knowledgeable as most of the others, so no issue at all with her being amongst the list of many pundits - but not a great accent and a rather boring delivery, and only has about one win ever on the Main Tour, and a high ranking of about 115, so definitely doesn't deserve such a contrastingly high amount of punditry work to others when based on merit. But, as you say, she's going to be everywhere because of 'balance' - which is a contradiction as it actually creates an imbalance in terms of how much punditry work she's getting compared to others.
I just don't think you can get away with single gender punditry anymore.

I do think that they should still be of a certain level before they're put in front of the camera though - with football Alex Scott was great but she moved on to bigger and better things.

Some of the female pundits are awful but then they're all better than Agbonlahor on TalkSport - Joe Marler and Charlie Austin are pretty unlistenable and Trevor Sinclair seems to be making a comeback too.

But in snooker with Reanne I think they've got someone who's already quite good at that side of it.

The other thing is if you look at the BBC their coverage hasn't really evolved since the early 1990s.

There's no turnover of commentators or pundits, the graphics and trailers are always MS Paint standard and very lazy - their coverage needs a major overhaul.

ChrisNelson

Incredible performance from Murphy.

You can bet your bottom dollar he will lose today now!

Another defeat for Jack Lisowski just as the draw was opening up!

The seeds were so solid on the first couple of days but since then they've struggled - the shorter form matches and these Home Nations tournaments are minefields for the top players.

Lisowski would have had to play Murphy today if he'd won which obviously is a tough match but after that Joe O'Connor or Pang Junxu in the SF (appreciate O'Connor got to the final of the Scottish Open before Christmas).

The other half of the draw is a bit more exciting with Ronnie still going strong despite his tip issues, and a potentially very exciting clash between Milkins and Allen.

Bertie Wooster

good player is Stan. Plays in the club I go in. I’ve seen Sean Murphy in there doing a bit of work with him.
Which club is that?
I've listened to interviews with Stan and he talks about Shaun Murphy helping him out (which leads to jokes about him looking like a Mini-Murphy), and about practising in Halifax (his home town), Huddersfield, and how he now often practises in Leeds at the same club as Peter and Oliver Lines who also offer him advise.

He always comes across as a really level headed lad. More in the ultra focused, Snooker-first attitude of the likes of Davis and Hendry rather than the 'maverick' type of youngster.

I've been impressed with what I've been able to see of him so far and I'm really looking forward to seeing how well he does on the Main Tour.

Bertie Wooster

Pleased for him.

All the players I was wanting to win fell by the wayside in the last 32 and last 16. So by the QF's onwards, I was hoping Rob would win - though I wasn't really expecting it as I thought he'd have to beat Allen, O'Sullivan and Murphy which seemed a huge ask. He didn't have to get past Ronnie, but a great effort to beat Allen and Murphy - especially with the extra financial pressure of the bonus on his mind.

ChrisNelson

Well chuffed for the Milkman, he's a bit like the Peter Wright of darts, in that he's been around since the mid 90s but really it's the last decade or so which have proved most fruitful.

He's always been a great player to watch and I've been lucky enough to do so on a couple of occasions at the Crucible including in 2013 when he knocked out Neil Robertson despite Robbo hitting the tournament high break of 143.

Seems a good guy - had his issues off the table including only last year, but who doesn't like a drink :) .

I think he's a popular winner on the tour too.

He's the wrong age to think this will catapult his career to another level, although it would be amazing to see him seeded at Sheffield.

My sister's favourite player is Shaun Murphy and she finally got what she'd been craving yesterday - a personalised autograph from the man himself!

She also stood to win £240 if he'd won (the first bet she's ever placed!) but never mind!

Straight in to the Players Championship at Wolverhampton today which I'll head to on Friday.

Bertie Wooster

27 year old Ashley Carty has earned the second Q Tour card to return to the Circuit next season - having fallen off it at the end of last season.

Out of the 16 players in the play off, I was really hoping to see 16 year old Liam Davies get on the tour. But he lost 4-3 in the QF. He keeps making it to the later stages of tournaments that could get him on the tour but keeps missing out so far. But he's still only 16 and I'm sure it won't be long before he makes it.

ChrisNelson

Interesting times for snooker.

Mark King embroiled in the fixing scandal and more comments from Ronnie on the state of the game - most of which it's difficult to argue with.

The WST Classic is currently at the QF stage and I can't remember a more lopsided draw in terms of quality between the top and bottom halves of the draw!

G. Wilson v Kleckers
Pang v O. Lines
Bingham v Carter
Higgins v Selby

Great opportunity for one of the lesser names to reach a big final, it's just a shame it's not being televised, Matchroom website being the only place to watch in the UK.

predator

Youth NITK
Murphy playing so well since having that gastric band. Never was a fan of his but he's grown on me and I can't deny his ability to be honest.

Will be an interesting session here.

ChrisNelson

Big win for your boy Stan last night @Bertie Wooster , he was cool as a cucumber under pressure and a deserved winner.

Step up in class now as he faces Zhang Anda in the next round with still 2 more to win after that to reach the Crucible, but he will feel the pressure is off somewhat with the Junior WC and his 2023/4 tour card secured anyway.

Allan Taylor has a chance to complete a rare whitewash in a best of 19 today, 9-0 up on Filipp Kalnins going in to the second session.

Tomorrow should see an increase in quality as a new batch of players enter qualifying.

Bertie Wooster

@ChrisNelson, yeah, good win for Stan Moody. I thought he'd have a real chance in the first round. Any win after that is going to be very tough as, like you say, Zhang Anda, and Xiao Guodong awaiting the winner, are a big step up in quality.

I'm also hoping Liam Davies can have another decent run. Last season he won two games as a 15 year old, before only losing 6-5 to Jordan Brown. Ironically, he's drawn one of the two he beat last year, Fergal O'Brien, in the first qualifying round. After that it's another tough route - in the same section as the highest ranked seed, Ryan Day, and likely to lose before that to the likes of Scott Donaldson or Yuan Sijun. But it would be nice if he could win at least one game again.

I was initially disappointed to see that the two young Belgians, Ben Mertens and Julien Leclercq, will meet each other in the 2nd qualifying round - if Ben beats Victor Sarkis. But I guess it's at least a great chance for one of them to get to the 3rd qualifying round.

My main hope to qualify is Michael White. Who did it last year as well as an Amateur. He's got a decent round 4 match if he can get there, but a tough 3rd round game against Chris Wakelin. The winner of that would probably back themselves against Tian Pengfei or Wu Yize.

Bertie Wooster

Disappointing choices for the streamed games Wednesday morning (and evening). Was hoping to get to watch Ben Mertens and Liam Davies games, but their insistence on showing all the women's matches while they're still in it, and old players / pundits, means it's the likes of Doherty, Evans, Hendry, Ng On Yee instead.

I used to love watching Stephen Hendry, but it's been depressing seeing him perform so poorly in his (half hearted) comeback. So I think I'll start with Hugill v Pragnell while, mainly, following the Mertens and Davies scores.

ChrisNelson

I was out last night so couldn't catch any but hoping to get back in to it tonight, hopefully the Doherty v Evans and Hendry v Cahill matches will still be close going in to their second sessions.

At work but will try and keep half an eye on the Jimmy White opening session this afternoon.

I love the guy and he was far and away my favourite player growing up, I've been lucky enough to watch him a few times and meet him.

He still has a lot of confidence in his own game which is great, and he has been playing well recently but I think it will take a miracle to see him at the Crucible.

cyberman

I was out last night so couldn't catch any but hoping to get back in to it tonight, hopefully the Doherty v Evans and Hendry v Cahill matches will still be close going in to their second sessions.

At work but will try and keep half an eye on the Jimmy White opening session this afternoon.

I love the guy and he was far and away my favourite player growing up, I've been lucky enough to watch him a few times and meet him.

He still has a lot of confidence in his own game which is great, and he has been playing well recently but I think it will take a miracle to see him at the Crucible.
Not a chance Hendry gets anywhere near Cahill sadly

Bertie Wooster

Wins last night for Ben Mertens and Liam Davies.

Davies again beat Fergal O'Brien, as he did last year. But like Stan Moody (8-1 down :(), he'll find it a much tougher task in the 2nd round against Scott Donaldson.

Mertens win sets up a match against his good friend, and fellow Belgian teen, Julien Leclercq. A shame one has to knock the other out, but a good chance for one of them to reach the 3rd round.

I was hoping, and expecting, to get to see Michael White this morning but his match isn't being streamed. Still, hope he can get through against Aaron Hill.

Big Andy

Bloke
Not a chance Hendry gets anywhere near Cahill sadly
I can't see why Snooker players decline as they get older, it's not like they need super longevity powers or stamina. They're sat down most of the time. Why has Hendry gone shit as he's got older? Is it eyesight? Concentration? Or just can't be arsed practising all day anymore?

ChrisNelson

I can't see why Snooker players decline as they get older, it's not like they need super longevity powers or stamina. They're sat down most of the time. Why has Hendry gone shit as he's got older? Is it eyesight? Concentration? Or just can't be arsed practising all day anymore?
The last one.

He's spent a lot of time in commentary boxes since he retired, and missed out on a lot of tournaments where he had a spot reserved, therefore costing someone else the chance who was perhaps close to being on tour but just missed out.

So unfortunately (for him at least) there was simply no way he was ever going to make it through qualifying this year.

predator

Youth NITK
The last one.

He's spent a lot of time in commentary boxes since he retired, and missed out on a lot of tournaments where he had a spot reserved, therefore costing someone else the chance who was perhaps close to being on tour but just missed out.

So unfortunately (for him at least) there was simply no way he was ever going to make it through qualifying this year.
Not sure that is the reason for his form, more so a consequence of it.

He has said himself that he suffers from 'the yips' which is debilitating for him and has been for a while. He is commentating alot but that's because he simply can't perform anymore. He's still heavily invested in the sport but can't perform anymore. It really is quite strange really.

Bertie Wooster

Very much enjoyed the Matthew Stevens - 'Mad' Dechawat Poomjaeng game.

Great ending, with Stevens coming to the table needing two Snookers, and in one himself, and managing to get them to win 10-8 when a final frame decider looked a certainty.

I'd like to see Stevens qualify. Always liked him in his prime and it's a shame he's not won anything of note since his 20's.

I know some of the reasons for his decline over the last 10-15 years were off the table issues - losing his father, divorce / financial issues, etc. But even in his prime it was weird how he did so well in the Triple Crown events but not in any other ranking tournament.

He won only one ranking title - the UK Championship - but he also won The Masters and lost in 2 World Championship Finals and was also runner up in another UK Championship final. So came so close to being a member of the prestigious Triple Crown group, and yet has only ever won one ranking event!

jeff gurr

Supports
Leicester City
The World Snooker Championship starts tomorrow . There are some interesting match-ups in the opening round.

Bondi77

Not sure that is the reason for his form, more so a consequence of it.

He has said himself that he suffers from 'the yips' which is debilitating for him and has been for a while. He is commentating alot but that's because he simply can't perform anymore. He's still heavily invested in the sport but can't perform anymore. It really is quite strange really.
I found it quite strange when I found out that Stan Moody has a form of yips in that he has to keep standing up when addressing the shot and had to have counselling to stifle the issue.
If it was just practice then Jimmy White would still be a force but I think it is a concentration issue and maybe a fear of missing or scared of losing that affects players when they get older.