Redcafe Snooker

T00lsh3d

T00ly O' Sh3d
I’m sure he used to be more of a jovial character when he was younger. I think he’s got more miserable in recent years which probably coincides with how good he has become
Absolutely and I like it. He used to be a bit more fun loving when he was younger, as he got older and realised he could go down as one of the best of all time then he got more serious. Ronnie could take note

Cutch

Northern Ireland. Stretty W3102, Row 2, Seat 129
I’m sure he used to be more of a jovial character when he was younger. I think he’s got more miserable in recent years which probably coincides with how good he has become
Nah. Randomly both Selby and Murphy have both been at Pool comps/exhibitions in my extremely small hometown. Selby was there about 15 years ago at a competition and had the charisma of a lettuce. Murphy was there a couple of years later and was much more likeable and engaging

Ayush_reddevil

Éire Abú
Absolutely and I like it. He used to be a bit more fun loving when he was younger, as he got older and realised he could go down as one of the best of all time then he got more serious. Ronnie could take note

What a weird argument. I think Ronnie is doing fine with his 6 titles & universal recognition as the best ever player

Duafc

Village Lemon
What a weird argument. I think Ronnie is doing fine with his 6 titles & universal recognition as the best ever player
Yeah its such an odd take.

I wish one of the quickest, most fluid, enigmatic and entertaining snooker players ever as well as one of the most successful, was more dedicated like big boring bollocks Selby.

Ronnie’s absolutely fine as he is, wishing him different is an insult.

T00lsh3d

T00ly O' Sh3d
Oh no disputing he’s the best, but his attitude is crap. Tell me you don’t cringe hearing a forty year old bloke come out saying, “it’s all a larf, innit, snooker....I just do it for a bit of fun” when he loses.

Duafc

Village Lemon
Oh no disputing he’s the best, but his attitude is crap. Tell me you don’t cringe hearing a forty year old bloke come out saying, “it’s all a larf, innit, snooker....I just do it for a bit of fun” when he loses.
Cringe at times, absolutely.

That said I can’t really remember anything Selby’s said ever. Except maybe yapping about Ronnie not respecting snooker.

Parma Dewol

Is it possible for snooker tables to have a fair amount of variance in the pockets from one tournament to the next?

Got to be honest it is something I know nothing about, but it does seem to me that the pockets at this year’s World Championship seem noticeably forgiving.

That might not be a bad thing, mind. Balls are flying in from all over and it has been a fantastic tournament to watch. On the other hand, is it easier than usual?

Seen so many balls hit the near jaw and then still somehow find their way into the pockets. Even the commentators have mentioned it on occasion - “can’t believe that’s gone in” - and I wonder if the way the table is playing has dictated tactics. Every player is going for every shot and I think the century record has been beaten as a result.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
Is it possible for snooker tables to have a fair amount of variance in the pockets from one tournament to the next?

Got to be honest it is something I know nothing about, but it does seem to me that the pockets at this year’s World Championship seem noticeably forgiving.

That might not be a bad thing, mind. Balls are flying in from all over and it has been a fantastic tournament to watch. On the other hand, is it easier than usual?

Seen so many balls hit the near jaw and then still somehow find their way into the pockets. Even the commentators have mentioned it on occasion - “can’t believe that’s gone in” - and I wonder if the way the table is playing has dictated tactics. Every player is going for every shot and I think the century record has been beaten as a result.
Theres a number of factors which dictate the tables. If it’s particularly damp or humid venue they put a quicker cloth on (shorter nap) and firmer cushions which makes the pockets a bit less forgiving. The actual pockets are a standard size, it’s the cushions which decide if they’re forgiving or not.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
Harder clearance than it looks this. Easy to leave it in a position where angles are blocked.

Parma Dewol

Theres a number of factors which dictate the tables. If it’s particularly damp or humid venue they put a quicker cloth on (shorter nap) and firmer cushions which makes the pockets a bit less forgiving. The actual pockets are a standard size, it’s the cushions which decide if they’re forgiving or not.
Very useful insight, thanks for that. Figured the pockets must be the same size with very tight tolerances, they just seem to be playing bigger. Now I know it must be the cushions, or my eyesight.

Wilt

Very useful insight, thanks for that. Figured the pockets must be the same size with very tight tolerances, they just seem to be playing bigger. Now I know it must be the cushions, or my eyesight.
Think they’ve softened the angles... those middle pockets look ridiculous

Ayush_reddevil

Éire Abú
The funny bit is that I know that the Qualifiers are played at a different venue but if you watched that this year you would have been stunned with the type of balls that were being missed . These clothes are great no doubt but these blokes are pretty amazing too

Ayush_reddevil

Éire Abú
I struggle to see when someone who is not already a world champion will next win the title. Wilson is probably the only one who is close but even he has a lot of flaws which kind of show up against the best. This format means that you really have to be a top top player to have a sniff

esmufc07

Brad
Scout
I struggle to see when someone who is not already a world champion will next win the title. Wilson is probably the only one who is close but even he has a lot of flaws which kind of show up against the best. This format means that you really have to be a top top player to have a sniff
@Pexbo is close to qualifying to next years WC.

Ayush_reddevil

Éire Abú
That's such a bad shot under the circumstances. Selby was so tight and Murphy has gifted this to him

Salt Bailly

Auburn, not Ginger.
Are the crowd listening to the BBC comms through headphones? Sure sounded like they reacted to the commentary directly then.

WR

Frankie Barwell ITK
Are the crowd listening to the BBC comms through headphones? Sure sounded like they reacted to the commentary directly then.
Yeah Virgo hyped up the shot to say it was the pot to win the championship and then Selby played safe. Must be annoying for the players when they hear the laughter, even worse when it’s on the back swing sometimes

Gringo

Supports
Portugal
Jesus Christ this red is huuuge down the cushion

Fair play he went for it. But I would have played safe, you're always leaving it over the pocket if you miss, especially at that pace.

Zen

Murphy you crazy nutter. I was ready to call him a bottle job for not taking it on, so kudos to him losing in style.