Film RedCafe's Favourite Movies Of All Time Contest (ROUND 1) - POLL ADDED (Genres Updated)

What method do you prefer for the contest ?

• Genre

• Decades

Results are only viewable after voting.

Dirty Schwein

Has a 'Best of Britney Spears' album
Supports
Luton Town
So we all had fun doing the video game version of this last year... well I say fun... there was a lot of bitching and moaning but I think there was equally a great amount of discussion and recommendations... so this year, we are back! But instead of video games, we're doing movies.

I want to do one of these each year so please feel free to message me suggestions.

Here's how it will work:

Each Monday, I will set up a new round for the contest (I was on a plane yesterday so that's why this round is a day late).
Each round will represent a different genre of film (I have tried to include all the big genres).

Before someone says it... I did consider doing it by decade but let's be real... only a handful of people will vote until we get to the 80s...

The genres are below (BOLDED IS THE CURRENT ROUND FOR THIS THREAD):

Round 1 - Action & Adventure
Round 2 - War & Western
Round 3 - Fantasy & Superhero
Round 4 - Crime & Noir
Round 5 - Comedy & Romance
Round 6 - Drama
Round 7 - Horror
Round 8 - Sci-Fi
Round 9 - Thriller
Round 10 - Animation
Round 11 - The Knockout Round
Round 12 - The Finals

For each round, please list your top 5 movies from the genre in list view.
Please do this by Friday 11:59pm GMT (please stick to this as last time people kept voting late and that causes me massive headaches on the weekends).
5th = 2 pts, 4th = 4 pts, 3rd = 6 pts, 2nd = 8 pts, 1st = 10 pts.
The top 5 movies from each round will go through to the knockouts.
In the event of a tie, I will refer to their Metacritic scores.
I know movie genres cross over (Alien could be horror or sci-fi) so feel free to consider that when voting but don't be an idiot and vote Alien as a comedy or musical.
If you have voted, then changed your vote, please let me know by tagging me, otherwise I may miss your vote by accident.
I will try to start each new round on the Monday after a vote round has finished.
At the opening post of each round, I will put in the results from the previous round and start the voting of the current round.
Once we have gone through the 10 rounds, there will be a randomized UCL-style knockouts round (which people asked for last time)
Then we head into the final round with 25 movies on the shortlist.
Then once that voting is done, I will post the top 25 in order from last to first and crown the overall winner.

I know this is probably not the BEST way but I doubt there is a BEST way to do this!

Remember, I have 2 kids and a full time job so there may be times where I miss deadlines or post later than anticipated. Apologies in advance.

I hope this is fun and you guys enjoy it :D

P.S. If Con Air doesn't make it... I will end the contest after round 1.

Last edited:

Dirty Schwein

Supports
Luton Town
1. Con Air
2. The Raid
3. Face/Off
4. Furious 7
5. Battle Royale

Last edited:

The Cat

Will drink milk from your hands
1. The Dark Knight
2. Terminator 2
3. Die Hard
4. Raiders of the Lost Ark
5. The Matrix

@Dirty Schwein Edited my picks with the new categories.

Last edited:

Eckers99

Michael Corleone says hello
1 - Raiders of the Lost Ark
2 - Terminator 2
3 - Aliens
4 - Die Hard
5 - Mad Max Fury Road

Last edited:

Zen86

Tough one. A lot of genres cross over into this.
  1. Terminator 2
  2. The Dark Night
  3. Die Hard
  4. Jurassic Park
  5. Raiders of the Lost Ark

Cascarino

Magnum Poopus
Supports
Swansea
1. Predator
2. Terminator 2
3. Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon
4. Die Hard
5. Highlander (I know it's not good, don't @ me)

There's a few that would be on there but I think fit better in the other lists.

altodevil

Odds winner of 'Odds or Evens 2023/2024'
Great premise but should have done decades not genre - far too many mixed genre films.

Baneofthegame

Where does crime come into the category’s?

1. Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon
2. The Raiders of the Lost Ark
3. The Dark Knight
4. Die Hard
5. John Wick

So many more amazing films have missed out.

Edit - @Dirty Schwein due to @Cascarino I’m taking Battle Royale out for a later round and have switched my order as reflected above.

Last edited:

Dirty Schwein

Supports
Luton Town
Is Con Air your Alex Kidd in Miracle World of this series? :lol:

I'll post some entries later, though I doubt I'll be as involved in this as with the video games contest.
It is but I know this one will not be possible to get to the final without either sneaking it and hoping nobody notices or doing a round about movies set on a plane! But don't worry mate, next year I am thinking of a different gaming based one.
Great premise but should have done decades not genre - far too many mixed genre films.
I really did consider but realistically, how many people will vote for the earlier stuff? Imagine the 10 rounds were:

1. 20s and earlier
2. 30s
3. 40s
4. 50s
5. 60s
6. 70s
7. 80s
8. 90s
9. 2000s
10. 2010s - present

I bet there wouldn't be much going on until around round 6... more than halfway into the contest.
Where does crime come into the category’s?

1. Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon
2. Raiders of the Lost Ark
3. Die Hard
4. John Wick
5. Battle Royale.

So many more amazing films have missed out.
Depends on the film but most of them would be down as Thriller I reckon?

altodevil

Odds winner of 'Odds or Evens 2023/2024'
It is but I know this one will not be possible to get to the final without either sneaking it and hoping nobody notices or doing a round about movies set on a plane! But don't worry mate, next year I am thinking of a different gaming based one.

I really did consider but realistically, how many people will vote for the earlier stuff? Imagine the 10 rounds were:

1. 20s and earlier
2. 30s
3. 40s
4. 50s
5. 60s
6. 70s
7. 80s
8. 90s
9. 2000s
10. 2010s - present

I bet there wouldn't be much going on until around round 6... more than halfway into the contest.

Depends on the film but most of them would be down as Thriller I reckon?
Could have done half-decades or just 50s-20s with a couple special rounds like animation or foreign etc.

Dirty Schwein

Supports
Luton Town
Could have done half-decades or just 50s-20s with a couple special rounds like animation or foreign etc.
We've only started so if people prefer this... I can still change it?

I'm a man of the people so I'll see what you guys say.

Cascarino

Magnum Poopus
Supports
Swansea
We've only started so if people prefer this... I can still change it?

I'm a man of the people so I'll see what you guys say.
Decades would be cool but I personally prefer genres. Even if Alto's point about mixed genres is fair.
I spent a good few minutes weighing up if I wanted to put Battle Royale and Aliens down as Horror or not

BusbyMalone

First Man Falling
1. Terminator 2
2. Mad Max Fury Road
3. Old Boy
4. Gladiator
5. The Raid 2

EDIT: @Dirty Schwein I'm taking The Matrix out and putting Gladiator in instead. I think The Matrix is better suited to Sci-fi. Con Air didn't make the cut I'm afraid.

Last edited:

youngrell

1. Payback
  2. Gladiator
  3. The Warriors
  4. Terminator 2
  5. Ghostbusters
Along with thriller and drama, this must be one of the genres that will get the most cross-genre picks. Really hard to pin some films down to a single genre, which makes it more fun I suppose.

Dirty Schwein

Supports
Luton Town
Decades would be cool but I personally prefer genres. Even if Alto's point about mixed genres is fair.
I spent a good few minutes weighing up if I wanted to put Battle Royale and Aliens down as Horror or not
Yeah I agree and I did deliberate a fair bit before deciding on genres. I know some mix but that can also be a good thing. I like at least 10 sci-fi's that can make my top 5 but if Terminator 2 goes through this round... now I only have 9 to whittle down for the sci-fi genre :smirk:

If I went for the decades route, there would be different complaints I'm sure :lol:

1) Die Hard
2) Predator
3) Terminator 2
4) John Wick
5) Raiders of the Lost Ark
I was gonna say "get the feck out, you're not welcome here" but your list is excellent so you can stay :D

Organic Potatoes

Supports
Colorado Rapids
What is Lawrence of Arabia? Adventure or drama?

Could almost use a ‘historical/period piece‘ round, but that may be asking too much. @Dirty Schwein is already putting in more than enough effort. :cool:

Dirty Schwein

Supports
Luton Town
What is Lawrence of Arabia? Adventure or drama?

Could almost use a ‘historical/period piece‘ round, but that may be asking too much. @Dirty Schwein is already putting in more than enough effort. :cool:
I did consider historical/period as a genre (I had 11 genres) but wanted 10 and I feel most of those can technically fall into Drama.
Is Terminator Sci Fi or Action? And Matrix?
Terminator and Matrix are both sci-fi action movies so can be voted for on both rounds in my opinion. They're both in m sci-fi top 5 but as action movies, I prefer the 5 I chose.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
I did consider historical/period as a genre (I had 11 genres) but wanted 10 and I feel most of those can technically fall into Drama.

Terminator and Matrix are both sci-fi action movies so can be voted for on both rounds in my opinion. They're both in m sci-fi top 5 but as action movies, I prefer the 5 I chose.
In that case
  1. Terminator 2 (comfortably the best for me)
  2. Matrix
  3. The Dark Knight
  4. Jurassic Park (assuming this is good as adventure)
  5. Lord of the Ring : Return of the King
I'm sure I've messed this up as I'm not good with remembering movies unlike gaming which I was crystal clear about

BusbyMalone

First Man Falling
  1. Payback
  2. Gladiator
  3. The Warriors
  4. Terminator 2
  5. Ghostbusters
Along with thriller and drama, this must be one of the genres that will get the most cross-genre picks. Really hard to pin some films down to a single genre, which makes it more fun I suppose.
Ohh, Gladiator. Shit, I forgot about that one. I may have to amend my list, but don't know what I would take out.

Vidyoyo

The bad "V"
I'm going to be a twat and name not English films for this entire thing

1. Seven Samurai
2. Kagemusha
3. Exiled
4. Violent Cop
5. The Killer

P.s. I'm defining action as films with lots of violent scenes which I think is par for the course for any action film. Movies with swords tend to be different to guns but it's action all the same.

Last edited: