Redcafe's Greatest Players' Peaks Project

Eddy_JukeZ

Hey Redcafe. So I had this idea of us coming together and compiling a top 25 or top 10 list of the greatest peaks in football history.

Basically my inspiration comes from this http://forums.realgm.com/boards/viewtopic.php?f=64&t=1404723

Realgm basketball compiled a list of the best peaks in basketball.

Now I think it's easier to do it for basketball, because of the stats being more applicable when comparing players.

So we could limit this list to player seasons from the 1990s going forward, so more people can contribute and it'd be easier to judge/compare since it's relatively recent.

Criteria would be: ability(individual and ability to improve a team), consistency over the course of a season, productivity, portability and big game performances.

If there's enough interest, we could expand the list and have separate lists for attackers, midfielders and defenders.

And there can't be multiple seasons of a player, so we don't have numerous Messi or C.Ronaldo seasons taking up the list.

So if people want to contribute to the project, post according to the threadmark. Each spot will be 24-48 hours. If it's taking too long, the process can be sped up.

You give a description of why you went with that player and also note the season in which they think that player had their peak. I'd compile the votes at the end of everything and come up with a top 25(or 10) list that the Redcafe chose.

So, what does the cafe think? Would people be interested in this? As far I'm aware, I've never seen anything done like this on here.

If anything is confusing, please note so I could clarify it. Would love to do this, but only if people are interested.

And if you have any improvements for this potential project, feel free to share.

Template Example:

#1 peak: Lionel Messi 2010-2011

One of the seasons commonly referred to Messi's peak. Personally think it's between this and his 2014-2015 season as the best of his career so far, but I sided with 2010-2011. The first full season where he played as a false 9 for Pep's Barcelona. Games here and there before where he occupied that role, but he spent pretty much the entire season in that role.

Went with 2010-2011 over 2014-2015, because I felt this was Messi's physical peak(slightly ahead of 2009-2010 for me). His mobility and endurance were at his greatest this season and his explosiveness while dribbling was unrivaled in world football at the time. Felt like this was the hardest season to mark Messi out of games because of his physical prowess at the time. Similar productivity compared to 2014-2015(slightly less) while having just as much impact in the biggest games and arguably more. Felt he performed better in the Clasicos that season than 2014-2015. Notably in the 5-0 win where he didn't score, but provided 2 assists to Villa and was highly influential all game. Was the CL Final MOTM and was basically unplayable. Scored the deciding goals in the El Clasico 1st leg including one of his trademark solo goals. Excellent passer in the final third this season, but will concede his passing range wasn't as diverse as in 2014-2015.

Greatest individual player in the world easily at the time, while being a superb team player. Highly consistent over the course of the season, very few lows and multiple highs. Great big game performances notably the 2 El Clasico performances and the CL Final vs Manchester United.

Summary: Best player on the best club team of all time arguably having his finest season individually. Individual success coupled with team success. Plenty of big game performances and clutch goals.

Defining moment: The solo goal at the Bernabeu to give Barcelona a commanding 2-0 vs Real Madrid in the CL Semi-Finals.

Last edited:

Dion

You've chosen a dead time of night to get this off the ground!

Deleted member 101472

Ronaldo Luis nazario da Lima

His season at Barca

mazhar13

Kermit Inc. 2022
Scout
Yeah, why not? It'll be a good way to recognize some amazing players' peaks rather than always focus on the same couple of players. I'd be down for that, for sure.

harms

Shining Star of Paektu Mountain
Staff
No point in creating a separate thread for every position, just use threadmarks. And it'll still work better with people posting their full lists with explanations, imo

Eddy_JukeZ

No point in creating a separate thread for every position, just use threadmarks. And it'll still work better with people posting their full lists with explanations, imo
Good point, I forgot about threadmarks.

You think people posting their list right off the bat is best? I thought it'd be better to give people a day to figure out how they'd rank the players.

harms

Shining Star of Paektu Mountain
Staff
Good point, I forgot about threadmarks.

You think people posting their list right off the bat is best? I thought it'd be better to give people a day to figure out how they'd rank the players.
It just that it'll require people to follow the thread for 15 days at least, without any breaks, which is quite hard

Billy Blaggs

Flacco of the Blaggs tribe
Hey Redcafe. So I had this idea of us coming together and compiling a top 25 list of the greatest peaks in football history.

Basically my inspiration comes from this http://forums.realgm.com/boards/viewtopic.php?f=64&t=1404723

Realgm basketball compiled a list of the best peaks in basketball.

Now I think it's easier to do it for basketball, because of the stats being more applicable when comparing players.

So we could limit this list to player seasons from the 1990s going forward, so more people can contribute and it'd be easier to judge/compare since it's relatively recent. It'd only be club seasons. So their performances for the national team during that said season would be excluded(unless people would prefer to include that as well).

Criteria would be: ability(individual and ability to improve a team), consistency over the course of a season, productivity, portability and big game performances.

If there's enough interest, we could expand the list and have separate lists for attackers, midfielders and defenders.

And there can't be multiple seasons of a player, so we don't have numerous Messi or C.Ronaldo seasons taking up the list.

So if people want to contribute to the project, I'd start another thread starting from the top to the bottom for nominations(1 to 25).

People nominate their chosen player. You give a description of why you went with that player and also note the season in which they think that player had their peak. The thread would last for 24-48 hours, before moving on to the next spot. I'd compile the votes at the end of everything and come up with a top 25 list that the Redcafe chose.

So, what does the cafe think? Would people be interested in this? As far I'm aware, I've never seen anything done like this on here.

If anything is confusing, please note so I could clarify it. Would love to do this, but only if people are interested.

And if you have any improvements for this potential project, feel free to share.
I'm interested but I think the basketball thing will be hard to compare. Generally speaking English go like for like. Plus over which leagues?

Eddy_JukeZ

It just that it'll require people to follow the thread for 15 days at least, without any breaks, which is quite hard
That's true I suppose. People can then compile their lists right away to avoid loss of interest.

Eddy_JukeZ

I'm interested but I think the basketball thing will be hard to compare. Generally speaking English go like for like. Plus over which leagues?
Any league. Just their club season taken into account(no national team performances).

Enigma_87

You know who
Suggest 2 seasons minimum and eliminate one season wonders. Multiple Jon consecutive seasons permissible.
Three season peak is a good barometer.
If you don't break it into positions the list is meaningless IMO.

Eddy_JukeZ

Suggest 2 seasons minimum and eliminate one season wonders. Multiple non consecutive seasons permissible.
I think the 1st idea is a good shout, but if multiple seasons are allowed, there won't be as much variety. Even if it's only non-consecutive seasons.

Raees

Pythagoras in Boots
Its best if we split up who covers which players.. so that one person can focus on a player and properly research in depth.

Eddy_JukeZ

Its best if we split up who covers which players.. so that one person can focus on a player and properly research in depth.
That's why I thought my original idea of 24-48 hours for each spot was good, so people can post more in-depth descriptions of the player and the discussion would be better.

That's what the realgm forum did for their peak project.

Edit: Can just threadmark and then people can give their input 1 to 25.

#1 Peak

Eddy_JukeZ

Well if people are interested, you can post what you think has been the best peak club season from a player since the 1990's.

State the season and a small description of why you went with that player + a moment that defined their season or ability.

I'll post my number 1 pick later. Pretty much know who I'll pick, but want to let others go 1st.

Ecstatic

Cutie patootie!
Supports
PsG
If you give a template or an example of profile, then it will be more clear and you will get more replies.

Eddy_JukeZ

Here's an example of a template(will include in OP)

#1 peak: Lionel Messi 2010-2011

One of the seasons commonly referred to Messi's peak. Personally think it's between this and his 2014-2015 season as the best of his career so far, but I sided with 2010-2011. The first full season where he played as a false 9 for Pep's Barcelona. Games here and there before where he occupied that role, but he spent pretty much the entire season in that role.

Went with 2010-2011 over 2014-2015, because I felt this was Messi's physical peak(slightly ahead of 2009-2010 for me). His mobility and endurance were at his greatest this season and his explosiveness while dribbling was unrivaled in world football at the time. Felt like this was the hardest season to mark Messi out of games because of his physical prowess at the time. Similar productivity compared to 2014-2015(slightly less) while having just as much impact in the biggest games and arguably more. Felt he performed better in the Clasicos that season than 2014-2015. Notably in the 5-0 win where he didn't score, but provided 2 assists to Villa and was highly influential all game. Was the CL Final MOTM and was basically unplayable. Scored the deciding goals in the El Clasico 1st leg including one of his trademark solo goals. Excellent passer in the final third this season, but will concede his passing range wasn't as diverse as in 2014-2015.

Greatest individual player in the world easily at the time, while being a superb team player. Highly consistent over the course of the season, very few lows and multiple highs. Great big game performances notably the 2 El Clasico performances and the CL Final vs Manchester United.

Summary: Best player on the best club team of all time arguably having his finest season individually. Individual success coupled with team success. Plenty of big game performances and clutch goals.

Defining moment: The solo goal at the Bernabeu to give Barcelona a commanding 2-0 vs Real Madrid in the CL Semi-Finals.

Joga Bonito

The Art of Football
Will split them into categories

Defenders - Sammer (1995-1997)

Very few defenders can claim to being the driving force towards their country's win in a major competition such as the Euros in 1996 and he was truly a behemoth at the back for both club and country with his brilliant all-round displays, capable of influencing play at both ends of the pitch. His display in the CL final against Real was one of the best that I've seen from a defender too, fwiw.

Midfielders - Too many to choose from. Right from Xavi, Keane, Davids, Matthäus, Rijkaard etc. Will go for a tie between Lothar and Xavi. Would say the former is the better individual whilst the latter is damn near unbeatable in the right set-up.

Forwards - Once again too many to choose from but it has to be Messi, simply put, with the likes of Cristiano, Ronaldo, Ronaldinho, Rivaldo, Baggio, Stoichkov etc all having brilliant peaks too.

Keeps It tidy

Hates Messi
Messi 11-12. You really could pick 5 different Messi seasons but, I think that one was the most dominant. And really anyone who does not pick Messi first is lying to themselves.

Pat_Mustard

I'm so gorgeous they want to put me under arrest!
A never-nude? I thought he just liked cut-offs.
Any league. Just their club season taken into account(no national team performances).
Ignoring national team performances is a mistake IMO. I don't why the likes of Roberto Baggio and Romario shouldn't get extra credit for capping stellar seasons at club level with brilliant performances at international tournaments.

Eddy_JukeZ

Ignoring national team performances is a mistake IMO. I don't why the likes of Roberto Baggio and Romario shouldn't get extra credit for capping stellar seasons at club level with brilliant performances at international tournaments.
I mean if you want to, you can. I've nothing against that.

Will edit OP.

oneniltothearsenal

Caf's Milton Friedman and Arse Aficionado
Scout
Supports
Brazil, Arsenal,LA Aztecs
I'd like do a write up a one point here but my first choice might be Zico '81 with a great season from Flamengo. There is definitely enough information about the 80s to be able to include them. For Zico there are dozens of Placar articles from that time,footage of a good number of matches and a lot of documented information on rsssf and other sites. For people willing to research itd be worth it to not have some time period limit.

Also I agree with @Pat_Mustard about including NT tournaments because the goals seems to be finding the best 1 year peaks yes? So that would include the NT matches as well.

Enigma_87

You know who
I'll do the same as Joga and split them into categories.

This is since the 90ish(included Baresi and Matthaus who overlap a bit)

LB: Maldini 93-95 - hard to look past him, especially during those 3 seasons. Top class defender who can play both centrally and on the left.
CB: Baresi 89-91 - the best central defender I've ever seen. Some notable performances of course the WC 94 against Romario and in 1990 against Holland of Gullit, Van Basten etc.
CB: Nesta 00-02 - pure defender, very subtle, elegant hard to look past him, despite some other stoppers from the 90's like Kohler, Desailly, etc...
RB: Zanetti 97-99 - personal preference, but Cafu of course has a serious claim for that spot.

DM: Redondo 97-99 - still remember that performance against us in CL.
CM(Playmaker): Xavi 08-10(11) - notch above anyone else. Bossed the midfield for probably one of the best club and national sides of all time.
B2B: Matthaus 89-91 - again notch above some of the rest memorable players since the 90's(Keane, Vieira, Davids, etc..)

LW: Ronaldinho 04-06
- unplayable on his day. The most entertaining player I've ever seen. He changed Barca and laid the foundations for its domination couple of years later. Highlights - the games against Milan and Chelsea.
CF: Fenomeno 96-98- best player I've seen live - that season with Barca was incredible and unstoppable.
RW: Messi 11-13 - I think many will cover him in their descriptions.

Tommy

bigot with fetish for footballers getting fingered
Supports
Liverpool
07 Kaka would get a spot in any team in the world right now. Imagine him playing #10 with MSN?

Suarez
Messi Kaka Neymar

Fantasy football nonsense? Maybe, but that dude was immense, and at his peak was just a ridiculously talented player.