Gaming RedCafe's Greatest Video Games Of All Time Contest (ROUND 2)

Siorac

Firstly, I apologise for that but it would be much more difficult trying to figure out what game came out what year, especially as we have many users in different countries. It's much simpler to go down the generational route.

With that said, if enough of you want it, we can do a PC specific version of this in the future. I don't mind putting the work in to host it despite not playing many PC games myself.

EDIT: I was going to save this for later but the PC round and the final round will have special surprises, which will make all you PC nerds happy. I promise.
I realise this sounds like I was blaming you and criticising the thread - apologies for that. I meant more in general, that I dislike the whole idea of console generations, particularly in the era of multiplatform games being the norm and exclusives the exception. What about games like Dragon Age: Inquisition, that came out for both PS3 and PS4, as well as Xbox 360 and Xbox One (and PC, obviously). What generation does it belong to? I have no idea. It's just a highly ambiguous and confusing way of classifying games overall. Does Doom belong to any of the generations? It was ported to both the SNES and the Playstation, among other things. Like thermostats.

Dirty Schwein

Has a 'Best of Britney Spears' album
Supports
Luton Town
Hmm.. I guess my take here is that the feat with the game was condensing it into a cartridge for a home console at an affordable price (the CPS1 at that time would've cost you over £2500, understandably) and making a really fantastic port for people to play, or improve, away from the setting the game was made for. Like I said, it's all incorporated now, with the home user in mind, perhaps even over arcade players, which is why so much money and time is going into developing netcode and trying to get the GGPO model into as many homes as possible.

I'd say it was the most expensive and sought after the cartridge of the era, literally having people go out and buying a whole new setup of 60hz machine with stepdown converter (plus the game) to play it at its best, but it's the unique IPs that show progress and development, and more particularly, the games made for said machine from the ground up, which is always an amazing feat to think, before whatever amazing IP came along, there was nothing, or certainly only the broad framework for them to expand upon (lest we forget 'Super' usually meant an upgrade on an 8-bit version where Nintendo were concerned); I just think that's special and should be held in higher esteem than taking something that was already magical in its own field (SF2 being the revelation of its era in the arcades) and dropping it down to lesser hardware, despite the feat to achieve that being a revelation in its own right.

This will be ongoing for me as Tekken 3 was a similar marvel to have such an amazing version on Sony's machine, but it shouldn't trump unique IP's despite the feat, imo. Making a game out of nothing, or from scratch on these consoles is gonna get my vote every time, but then, I'd put these arcade games in the arcade section, where I'm guessing the majority doing these lists wouldn't.

Nowadays there's no real money in developing top of the line arcade PCB's so the company's stopped doing it (except Sega with VF), so not only have consoles caught up, there's almost no question they've usurped arcade boards by now, which is why I said what I said previously - titles like Tekken 7 or SF V can just as easily be claimed as unique console IP's as arcade ones as they're pretty much nomadic with no definable home and no distinguishing between home and arcade in terms of looks or playability.
You seem to know a lot about fighting games. I would love you have played you on something like SFV or Tekken 7. Unfortunately, I only own the Switch now, which has USF2. I guess there's also SF Anniversary Collection but that's a straight port of arcade versions of the SF games... I would have preferred if they just dropped the definitive versions of each game (e.g. SF1, SSF2 Turbo/USF2, SF Alpha Max & SF3: 3rd Strike Online Edition). Then given these games full online capability. Instead, we get SF1, a few versions of SF2, 3 versions of 3rd Strike and 3 versions of Alpha :houllier:

Dirty Schwein

Supports
Luton Town
I realise this sounds like I was blaming you and criticising the thread - apologies for that. I meant more in general, that I dislike the whole idea of console generations, particularly in the era of multiplatform games being the norm and exclusives the exception. What about games like Dragon Age: Inquisition, that came out for both PS3 and PS4, as well as Xbox 360 and Xbox One (and PC, obviously). What generation does it belong to? I have no idea. It's just a highly ambiguous and confusing way of classifying games overall. Does Doom belong to any of the generations? It was ported to both the SNES and the Playstation, among other things. Like thermostats.
No offense taken mate. I see your point but I guess we can vote for any game as long as it was released on that specific console. For example, The Last Of Us can be voted across two consoles, although I suspect most people will vote on the console that it first came to and had most popularity in terms of console gaming goes.

As I edited into my post, there'll be a nice surprise in the PC round that will definitely make things better for you PC gamers in here.

Vidyoyo

The bad "V"
No offense taken mate. I see your point but I guess we can vote for any game as long as it was released on that specific console. For example, The Last Of Us can be voted across two consoles, although I suspect most people will vote on the console that it first came to and had most popularity in terms of console gaming goes.

As I edited into my post, there'll be a nice surprise in the PC round that will definitely make things better for you PC gamers in here.
I'm hoping it's the inclusion of special Microsoft Office round because frankly there's no other reason for using a PC :)

Fortitude

TV/Monitor Expert
Scout
You seem to know a lot about fighting games. I would love you have played you on something like SFV or Tekken 7. Unfortunately, I only own the Switch now, which has USF2. I guess there's also SF Anniversary Collection but that's a straight port of arcade versions of the SF games... I would have preferred if they just dropped the definitive versions of each game (e.g. SF1, SSF2 Turbo/USF2, SF Alpha Max & SF3: 3rd Strike Online Edition). Then given these games full online capability. Instead, we get SF1, a few versions of SF2, 3 versions of 3rd Strike and 3 versions of Alpha :houllier:
MAME and GGPO for you, if you want to play those games at the highest level online. Straight emulations of original roms, too.

Reditus

Lineup Prediction League Winner 2021-22
The lack of ISS DELUXE makes me wonder if any of you played football games prior to the PS One generation? It was absolutely phenomenal!!

I remember working in my dad's shop every weekend for like 2 months so he would finally buy me it. Come to think of it... my dad enforced child labour on me :lol:

I loved it but doesnt crack my top 5. Also my prefered ISS was on N64.

This for me has never been beaten from any footyball game

Dirty Schwein

Supports
Luton Town
Once again, I feel adding arcade ports bastardises things somewhat as they are not IP's of the systems so I'll do two lists.

Proper:

1. Super Metroid - SNES
2. Zelda - SNES
3. Chrono Trigger - SNES
4. Super Mario World - SNES
5. Streets Of Rage 2 - Megadrive
Can you clarify which Zelda game this is mate?

Irwin99

I played games on the megadrive (road rash was a fave) but as my choices indicate, SNES was a better system for me.

BusbyMalone

First Man Falling
This was a difficult one. So many great games left out.

1 .Street Fighter 2 Turbo
2. Super Mario Kart
3. Streets of Rage 2
4. Sonic The Hedgehog 2
5. The Revenge of Shinobi

Dirty Schwein

Supports
Luton Town
Good to clarify but wasn't there only one Zelda game on SNES? Pretty sure that was the case (you've made me think now)
I think there was (Link to the Past) but there's always hidden games you find out that were released across different territories, which is why I wanted to double-check.

Organic Potatoes

Supports
Colorado Rapids
Hmm.. I guess my take here is that the feat with the game was condensing it into a cartridge for a home console at an affordable price (the CPS1 at that time would've cost you over £2500, understandably) and making a really fantastic port for people to play, or improve, away from the setting the game was made for. Like I said, it's all incorporated now, with the home user in mind, perhaps even over arcade players, which is why so much money and time is going into developing netcode and trying to get the GGPO model into as many homes as possible.

I'd say it was the most expensive and sought after the cartridge of the era, literally having people go out and buying a whole new setup of 60hz machine with stepdown converter (plus the game) to play it at its best, but it's the unique IPs that show progress and development, and more particularly, the games made for said machine from the ground up, which is always an amazing feat to think, before whatever amazing IP came along, there was nothing, or certainly only the broad framework for them to expand upon (lest we forget 'Super' usually meant an upgrade on an 8-bit version where Nintendo were concerned); I just think that's special and should be held in higher esteem than taking something that was already magical in its own field (SF2 being the revelation of its era in the arcades) and dropping it down to lesser hardware, despite the feat to achieve that being a revelation in its own right.

This will be ongoing for me as Tekken 3 was a similar marvel to have such an amazing version on Sony's machine, but it shouldn't trump unique IP's despite the feat, imo. Making a game out of nothing, or from scratch on these consoles is gonna get my vote every time, but then, I'd put these arcade games in the arcade section, where I'm guessing the majority doing these lists wouldn't.

Nowadays there's no real money in developing top of the line arcade PCB's so the company's stopped doing it (except Sega with VF), so not only have consoles caught up, there's almost no question they've usurped arcade boards by now, which is why I said what I said previously - titles like Tekken 7 or SF V can just as easily be claimed as unique console IP's as arcade ones as they're pretty much nomadic with no definable home and no distinguishing between home and arcade in terms of looks or playability.
This is all very interesting and all, but you’ve left out the most important point regarding fighting games: people spelling Street Fighter II as “Street Fighter 2” should be ostracized.

Fortitude

TV/Monitor Expert
Scout
This is all very interesting and all, but you’ve left out the most important point regarding fighting games: people spelling Street Fighter II as “Street Fighter 2” should be ostracized.
:lol: And made to play the Amiga version for eternity! (Don’t put me there! :()

Dirty Schwein

Supports
Luton Town
Anyone here play any of the obscure fighting games? I'm talking:

Garou: Mark of the Wolves
Kensei: Sacred Fist
Fighters Destiny
Eternal Champions
Primal Rage
Rival Schools :drool:
VS
Bushido Blade

Fortitude

TV/Monitor Expert
Scout
Yes, but was on ROM as I got into fighting games competitively from PS One era.

Back in my SNES days, my dad used to buy the games so I had to be more selective...
Very complex game

Tried to carve out a niche during the time massive arcade games had nearly all the marketplace to themselves.

Never knew it was made by namco until today!

Dirty Schwein

Supports
Luton Town
Very complex game

Tried to carve out a niche during the time massive arcade games had nearly all the marketplace to themselves.

Never knew it was made by namco until today!
I guess it was like the spiritual ancestor of the Soul Calibur series.

Fortitude

TV/Monitor Expert
Scout
I guess it was like the spiritual ancestor of the Soul Calibur series.
Don't know how much it made in the end, but for the money, effort and promotion, I'm guessing it was a bit of a let down because it was a very niche game at the time, and expensive; if they got anything to carryover to their successful franchises, it was well worth it, mind!

Think it's still a really hard game to get to grips with, which is a testament to the thought they put into it.