Gaming RedCafe's Greatest Video Games Of All Time Contest (ROUND 2)

Ødegaard

formerly MrEriksen
Scout
Next round is going to be a damn hard one for rpg lovers. The golden age.
Suikoden 2, the legend of Dragoon, Breath of fire 3, Wild Arms, Castlevania sotn, Valkyrie Profile, Vagrant Story, Xenogears, Chrono Cross... And that's before taking into account the golden age of final fantasy. Gonna be hard to put anything other than rpgs on here.

GueRed

1. Streetfighter II (SNES)
2. Super Mario Kart (SNES)
3. International Superstar Soccer (SNES)
4. Streets of Rage 2 (MEGADRIVE)
5. Jungle Strike (MEGADRIVE)

Ekkie Thump

Supports
Leeds United
1. Super Mario Kart
2. Street Fighter II
3. Super Metroid
4. Micro Machines
5. Chrono Trigger

CassiusClaymore

Is it Gaizka Mendieta?
Scout
Supports
The greatest team in history
Even though I had a Megadrive I always used to go over the road to play on my mates Snes which was a far better console let's face it. As it is my list would probably be -

1. Street Fighter 2
2. Super Mario Kart
3. Super Mario World
4. Super Metroid
5. Sonic The Hedgehog 2

Moby

Dick
Switch is where it's at mate!
Ah yes. Missed that. Yeah that's gonna be primarily a Switch round. I've never had it but I guess games like Hades should be considered as Switch games. If Silksong comes out by the time we reach there then the ultimate final can be between Hollow Knight and Silksong. :D

Dirty Schwein

Has a 'Best of Britney Spears' album
Supports
Luton Town
Ah yes. Missed that. Yeah that's gonna be primarily a Switch round. I've never had it but I guess games like Hades should be considered as Switch games. If Silksong comes out by the time we reach there then the ultimate final can be between Hollow Knight and Silksong. :D
:D

Dirty Schwein

Supports
Luton Town
The lack of ISS DELUXE makes me wonder if any of you played football games prior to the PS One generation? It was absolutely phenomenal!!

I remember working in my dad's shop every weekend for like 2 months so he would finally buy me it. Come to think of it... my dad enforced child labour on me :lol:

Spoony

The People's President
The lack of ISS DELUXE makes me wonder if any of you played football games prior to the PS One generation? It was absolutely phenomenal!!

I remember working in my dad's shop every weekend for like 2 months so he would finally buy me it. Come to think of it... my dad enforced child labour on me :lol:

Sensi is the greatest!

P-Ro

"Full Member"
Supports
Chelsea and AFC Wimbledon

I liked it how you could just sabotage the game by fouling the goalie if you were losing and being petulant.

Dirty Schwein

Supports
Luton Town
Sensi is the greatest!
Pardilla!! :lol:

I LOVED the fact that it had commentary. Not many, if any, had decent commentary like this. I remember FIFA only had the commentator say things like "free kick", "throw in" etc. This way waaaay ahead of its time.

I liked it how you could just sabotage the game by fouling the goalie if you were losing and being petulant.
And get a straight red!

There was an option to manually control the keeper. My and my brother used to do this. What he didn't know was that one of the buttons did auto-dive, which meant the keeper always would make the save. I used to thrash him every match because I never told him about this :lol:

V.O.

Last Man Standing finalist 2019/20
I think a lot of us are around the same kind of age, and when I was 7 or 8 or whatever and playing my SNES it was very much playing what me and my mates had and not knowing any better (often games that were just bundled with the console). It wasn't until I was a couple of years older and playing the Playstation that I was actively trying to get the best games I'd heard about or whatever, and so I think the rounds coming up are going to be skewed much more towards the objectively better games.

I don't doubt that ISS was better than Fifa International Soccer, but I can only vote for what I had!

Dirty Schwein

Supports
Luton Town
I think a lot of us are around the same kind of age, and when I was 7 or 8 or whatever and playing my SNES it was very much playing what me and my mates had and not knowing any better (often games that were just bundled with the console). It wasn't until I was a couple of years older and playing the Playstation that I was actively trying to get the best games I'd heard about or whatever, and so I think the rounds coming up are going to be skewed much more towards the objectively better games.

I don't doubt that ISS was better than Fifa International Soccer, but I can only vote for what I had!
That makes sense. I forget I'm an old man because I still behave like a tanager :lol:

oneniltothearsenal

Caf's Milton Friedman and Arse Aficionado
Scout
Supports
Brazil, Arsenal,LA Aztecs
  1. ISS Deluxe
  2. Samurai Showdown
  3. Killer Instinct
  4. Super Mario Cart
  5. Sonic

Dirty Schwein

Supports
Luton Town
I only ever played Killer Instinct on N64 which I loved. Probably my favourite ever fighting game (either that or Soul Blade).
I loved KI on the SNES. I felt it was everything Mortal Kombat wanted to be. Shame Rare went to Microsoft as the new game looks good but I'm not buying an Xbox just for that.

Soul Blade was bloody brilliant. Li Long!

GueRed

Football games were rubbish before International Superstar Soccer came out in 1995

I owned and played a lot of them

Sensible Soccer was very playable but ISS set the bar.

Fortitude

TV/Monitor Expert
Scout
Once again, I feel adding arcade ports bastardises things somewhat as they are not IP's of the systems so I'll do two lists.

Proper:

1. Super Metroid - SNES
2. Zelda - SNES
3. Chrono Trigger - SNES
4. Super Mario World - SNES
5. Streets Of Rage 2 - Megadrive

---

Just because it's harder to just five as the industry diversifies and shows rapid genre growth

6. ISS Deluxe - SNES
7. Revenge of Shinobi - Megadrive
8. Super Tennis - SNES
9. Final Fantasy 3 - SNES
10. F-Zero - SNES

I feel even with ten, so many great games miss the cut (no Mario Kart or Super Ghouls & Ghosts in the top 10, let alone 5 might be seen as sacrilegious! Micro Machines, another top game) - reckon by this generation, you've got grounds for genre specific top 5's. SNES utterly dominant, I think.

Special mention for:

Street Fighter 2 - SNES perhaps the greatest feat of the era to have the best and most demanding game of the arcades in a 16-bit format. This was the most coveted game of the era upon release with the Japanese and American cartridges (60hz) selling for £100+ and shifting units of both Super Famicoms and the American SNES's in UK so people could play the best version of the port. A true feat to condense this.

It's probably the #1, but again, I think unique IP's per gen should always be considered above ports.

Re. Sega's machine: as opposed to the SNES, the Sega machine was more about plug and play. Less complex games, more arcadey titles, which were great fun in the short-term and exceptional for people who didn't see the big brother arcade iterations a lot of these titles were spin offs from. Games like Gunstar Heroes and Streets Of Rage 1/2 were superb titles if you couldn't or didn't get to play arcade games like Final Fight or Sunset Riders, Super Contra etc.

But unlike the SNES - whose top games remain timeless in terms of playability - the Sega console is more a place holder.

Btw. @Dirty Schwein that Wiki or wherever that included the Neo Geo is dead wrong! That's absolutely not part of this generation! More power than both these consoles combined 10 times over - games that cost £200 - £1000, each! :lol: Literal arcade power in the home on a machine only rich people could afford. It may have come out circa that time, but that, and it being a console, are its only similarities to the 16-bit era. I didn't even think for a second of adding its titles as they would literally go into any arcade round as that's what they were.

manutddjw

1. Super Mario World
2. Street Fighter 2
3. Super Mario Kart
4. Mortal Kombat 2
5. NBA Jam TE

Dirty Schwein

Supports
Luton Town
Once again, I feel adding arcade ports bastardises things somewhat as they are not IP's of the systems so I'll do two lists.

Proper:

1. Super Metroid - SNES
2. Zelda - SNES
3. Chrono Trigger - SNES
4. Super Mario World - SNES
5. Streets Of Rage 2 - Megadrive

---

Just because it's harder to just five as the industry diversifies and shows rapid genre growth

6. ISS Deluxe - SNES
7. Revenge of Shinobi - Megadrive
8. Super Tennis - SNES
9. Final Fantasy 3 - SNES
10. F-Zero - SNES

I feel even with ten, so many great games miss the cut (no Mario Kart or Super Ghouls & Ghosts in the top 10, let alone 5 might be seen as sacrilegious! Micro Machines, another top game) - reckon by this generation, you've got grounds for genre specific top 5's. SNES utterly dominant, I think.

Special mention for:

Street Fighter 2 - SNES perhaps the greatest feat of the era to have the best and most demanding game of the arcades in a 16-bit format. This was the most coveted game of the era upon release with the Japanese and American cartridges (60hz) selling for £100+ and shifting units of both Super Famicoms and the American SNES's in UK so people could play the best version of the port. A true feat to condense this.

It's probably the #1, but again, I think unique IP's per gen should always be considered above ports.

Re. Sega's machine: as opposed to the SNES, the Sega machine was more about plug and play. Less complex games, more arcadey titles, which were great fun in the short-term and exceptional for people who didn't see the big brother arcade iterations a lot of these titles were spin offs from. Games like Gunstar Heroes and Streets Of Rage 1/2 were superb titles if you couldn't or didn't get to play arcade games like Final Fight or Sunset Riders, Super Contra etc.

But unlike the SNES - whose top games remain timeless in terms of playability - the Sega console is more a place holder.

Btw. @Dirty Schwein that Wiki or wherever that included the Neo Geo is dead wrong! That's absolutely not part of this generation! More power than both these consoles combined 10 times over - games that cost £200 - £1000, each! :lol: Literal arcade power in the home on a machine only rich people could afford. It may have come out circa that time, but that, and it being a console, are its only similarities to the 16-bit era. I didn't even think for a second of adding its titles as they would literally go into any arcade round as that's what they were.
Good post but I just disagree with that bolded bit because by that rule, nearly every fighting game will be excluded from your lists.

The way the FGC has been over decades, these games always go arcade first. Even the latest Tekken game was in Japanese arcades before console release.

Fortitude

TV/Monitor Expert
Scout
Good post but I just disagree with that bolded bit because by that rule, nearly every fighting game will be excluded from your lists.

The way the FGC has been over decades, these games always go arcade first. Even the latest Tekken game was in Japanese arcades before console release.
I think until the ports became literally indistinguishable, and could have been home versions put in arcades, the unique part of them having vastly superior (naturally) big brothers is important. There came a point where the only difference between the arcade and console was latency and issues revolving around it being online and not face-to-face - that’s where, to me, the ‘unique IP’ waters are murky with only the latest version of VF still having no console equivalent. It’s hard to even say modern fighters are in any way removed from console play except still being housed in cabinets in environments with zero distraction or creature comforts - even elite level tournaments are played on console now, which would have been unthinkable in previous generations when the technology was so clearly disparate.

For me, until you get to CvS2 on the Dreamcast, there’s just no way the lesser port should go over the unique IP’s as their category is wherever the superior version of the game comes from, as was initially intended by its creator. An example would be any Neo Geo MVS on an AVS system - the same game housed in two different systems, although calling it a home console is sus in the first place. :D

—————

Doing this round reminded me of how rapidly the industry diversified between generations. The 8-bit basically being a bunch of side-scrolling jumpers with the odd interlude. You don’t even need side scrollers in the next gen and you’ve loads of the best games of all time, still! The next few gens took us down the rabbit hole before everything pretty much plateaus and becomes generic.

Baneofthegame

Next round is going to be a damn hard one for rpg lovers. The golden age.
Suikoden 2, the legend of Dragoon, Breath of fire 3, Wild Arms, Castlevania sotn, Valkyrie Profile, Vagrant Story, Xenogears, Chrono Cross... And that's before taking into account the golden age of final fantasy. Gonna be hard to put anything other than rpgs on here.
Basically my childhood there and it’s hard enough for this round with games that are going to miss out.

altodevil

Odds winner of 'Odds or Evens 2023/2024'
The SNES bombardment is sickening. How many of you feckers never played a megadrive?

Baneofthegame

1. Chrono Trigger
2. Streets of Rage 2
3. Mario Kart
4. A link to the past.
5. Street Fighter 2

Special mentions to:

Secret of Mana, Micro Machines, Golden Axe, Mortal Kombat, Starfox, ISS, Super Mario World, NBA Jam, NHL 94, Super Metroid, F-Zero, Revenge of the Shinobi, Sonic, Killer Instinct and probably many more I’ve missed.

Picked the games I played the most when I was younger which is why Super Metroid didn’t make it in the top 5.

Siorac

To all those complaining about how hard it is to choose: think of PC gaming. In this thread, we're at the early-to-mid 90s now, which means Wolfenstein 3D, Doom, Myst, Warcraft, Command and Conquer, System Shock, Civilization... apparently, all these legendary, genre-defining games and then everything from the next 30 years, too, should be squeezed into that single round, somehow. I mean, in the second half of the nineties - which I guess is fifth and sixth generations? fecking hate this generation rubbish, we really should just stick to release date but that's another discussion - will have Fallout, Thief, Half-Life, Diablo, Age of Empires, Baldur's Gate, Quake, Unreal, Starcraft, Dungeon Keeper...

Basically, the PC gaming round will be a bloodbath.

Dirty Schwein

Supports
Luton Town
I think until the ports became literally indistinguishable, and could have been home versions put in arcades, the unique part of them having vastly superior (naturally) big brothers is important. There came a point where the only difference between the arcade and console was latency and issues revolving around it being online and not face-to-face - that’s where, to me, the ‘unique IP’ waters are murky with only the latest version of VF still having no console equivalent. It’s hard to even say modern fighters are in any way removed from console play except still being housed in cabinets in environments with zero distraction or creature comforts - even elite level tournaments are played on console now, which would have been unthinkable in previous generations when the technology was so clearly disparate.

For me, until you get to CvS2 on the Dreamcast, there’s just no way the lesser port should go over the unique IP’s as their category is wherever the superior version of the game comes from, as was initially intended by its creator. An example would be any Neo Geo MVS on an AVS system - the same game housed in two different systems, although calling it a home console is sus in the first place. :D
But the question here is: is the lesser console port of Street Fighter 2 still better than most unique SNES IPs? To me it was for sure. I played that game so much and even now, I play whatever remake of it I can find on the latest consoles :lol:

Dirty Schwein

Supports
Luton Town
To all those complaining about how hard it is to choose: think of PC gaming. In this thread, we're at the early-to-mid 90s now, which means Wolfenstein 3D, Doom, Myst, Warcraft, Command and Conquer, System Shock, Civilization... apparently, all these legendary, genre-defining games and then everything from the next 30 years, too, should be squeezed into that single round, somehow. I mean, in the second half of the nineties - which I guess is fifth and sixth generations? fecking hate this generation rubbish, we really should just stick to release date but that's another discussion - will have Fallout, Thief, Half-Life, Diablo, Age of Empires, Baldur's Gate, Quake, Unreal, Starcraft, Dungeon Keeper...

Basically, the PC gaming round will be a bloodbath.
Firstly, I apologise for that but it would be much more difficult trying to figure out what game came out what year, especially as we have many users in different countries. It's much simpler to go down the generational route.

With that said, if enough of you want it, we can do a PC specific version of this in the future. I don't mind putting the work in to host it despite not playing many PC games myself.

EDIT: I was going to save this for later but the PC round and the final round will have special surprises, which will make all you PC nerds happy. I promise.

Last edited:

Fortitude

TV/Monitor Expert
Scout
But the question here is: is the lesser console port of Street Fighter 2 still better than most unique SNES IPs? To me it was for sure. I played that game so much and even now, I play whatever remake of it I can find on the latest consoles :lol:
Hmm.. I guess my take here is that the feat with the game was condensing it into a cartridge for a home console at an affordable price (the CPS1 at that time would've cost you over £2500, understandably) and making a really fantastic port for people to play, or improve, away from the setting the game was made for. Like I said, it's all incorporated now, with the home user in mind, perhaps even over arcade players, which is why so much money and time is going into developing netcode and trying to get the GGPO model into as many homes as possible.

I'd say it was the most expensive and sought after the cartridge of the era, literally having people go out and buying a whole new setup of 60hz machine with stepdown converter (plus the game) to play it at its best, but it's the unique IPs that show progress and development, and more particularly, the games made for said machine from the ground up, which is always an amazing feat to think, before whatever amazing IP came along, there was nothing, or certainly only the broad framework for them to expand upon (lest we forget 'Super' usually meant an upgrade on an 8-bit version where Nintendo were concerned); I just think that's special and should be held in higher esteem than taking something that was already magical in its own field (SF2 being the revelation of its era in the arcades) and dropping it down to lesser hardware, despite the feat to achieve that being a revelation in its own right.

This will be ongoing for me as Tekken 3 was a similar marvel to have such an amazing version on Sony's machine, but it shouldn't trump unique IP's despite the feat, imo. Making a game out of nothing, or from scratch on these consoles is gonna get my vote every time, but then, I'd put these arcade games in the arcade section, where I'm guessing the majority doing these lists wouldn't.

Nowadays there's no real money in developing top of the line arcade PCB's so the company's stopped doing it (except Sega with VF), so not only have consoles caught up, there's almost no question they've usurped arcade boards by now, which is why I said what I said previously - titles like Tekken 7 or SF V can just as easily be claimed as unique console IP's as arcade ones as they're pretty much nomadic with no definable home and no distinguishing between home and arcade in terms of looks or playability.