Gaming RedCafe's Greatest Video Games Of All Time Contest (ROUND 3)

Fortitude

TV/Monitor Expert
Scout
1. Ocarina Of Time
2. Goldeneye
3. Mario Kart 64
4. Metal Gear Solid
5. ISS 64

I should state I've never played FF7, which probably skews my list. Virtua Fighter 2 and Tekken 3 are huge feats for the era, but sticking to my guns, they can't have a place here. Lots of top games missing as it's only a list of 5 games: Marjora's Mask; Super Mario 64; Ogre Battle; Panzar Dragoon series; Perfect Dark; Gran Turismo 2; Resi 2

I feel as those OOT and Goldeneye are not looked at through the lens of what they were at the time of release, when they revelations; Goldeneye is probably the biggest multiplayer game of that console era, followed by MK 64, and the fact four could play on the same screen was spectacular. It means nothing now, but back then, the achievement was beyond special.

The Cat

Will drink milk from your hands
1. Tekken 3
2. Brian Lara Cricket 99
3. Tony Hawk Pro Staker 2
4. NBA Showtime
5. WWF Smackdown! 2
Brian Lara was so difficult can remember being bowled out for less than 50 most of the time. Lomu I forgot about still the best effort at rugby for me. Campese was a bit cheat mode though.

P-Ro

"Full Member"
Supports
Chelsea and AFC Wimbledon
Final Fantasy VII
Wipeout 2097
Final Fantasy IX
Zelda - Ocarina of Time
Tekken 2

P-Ro

"Full Member"
Supports
Chelsea and AFC Wimbledon
Wipeout was top 10 for me.
Probably the game I played the most (along with FF7) and it was the first one of this gen which really wowed me with the visuals.

Irwin99

Feck this is going to be tough.

1. Final Fantasy VIII PS
  2. Final Fantasy VII PS
  3. Metal Gear Solid PS
  4. Resident Evil 2 PS
  5. Panzer Dragoon Saga (Sega Saturn)
Left out Goldeneye, Tekken 3, and FF IX :(

Reditus

Lineup Prediction League Winner 2021-22
1. The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time
2. Super Mario 64
3. Final Fantasy VII
4. The Legend of Zelda: Majora’s Mask
5. Metal Gear Solid

honourable mentions are many but here is a few; Symphony of the Night, Soul Blade, Silent Hill, Resident Evil 2, Tekken 3, Star Fox 64, F zero X, Goldeneye, Mario Kart 64 and ISS 98

Roosney

1. Metal Gear Solid
2. THPS 2
3. Silent Hill
4. Colin McRae Rally
5. Tomb Raider

Dirty Schwein

Has a 'Best of Britney Spears' album
Supports
Luton Town
If either MGS and FF7 aren’t first or second. I hate you all. You have bad taste and shouldn’t be allowed to vote.

1. Metal Gear Solid
2. Final Fantasy 7
3. Crash Bandicoot
4. Silent Hill
5. Tekken 3
At the same time, Tekken 3, Zelda, Mario Kart, Goldeneye etc were just as enjoyable to some!

I think we may have been friends during childhood who played a lot of games together. :lol:
I already know this!

I'll sit this one out though. I switched to PC during this time and missed out on a few big OG PS titles.
Mate even if there are a few games you enjoyed, vote. In the later generations I'll be doing the same. Your vote could be the difference between Tekken 3 making the final or not :lol:

Playing Tekken 3 on arcade is easily one of the best experiences I've ever had. Stood for absolute hours. :lol:
I used to go in with 50p and hustle... Made that coin last for hours!

Grib

Silly hard this

1. FFVIII
2. FFVII
3. MGS
4. Gran Turismo
Was going to spend ages debating over the last slot but it won't matter the winner is going to be clear here anyway
5. Dead Ball Zone (I would so play this again)

Hard choices to leave out at number 5
Diehard Trilogy (I mean this should probably actually easily be in the top 5 if we're being realistic)
Premier Manager 99
Syphon Filter
Destruction Derby
Ridge Racer Type 4
Tony Hawk
Toca Touring Cars
Broken Sword
Tenchu

The list goes on

Grib

@Grib Premier Manager 99 was great. I must have got through about 50 seasons just simulating the end result instead of watching the game.
unreal, many a night completely taken by that game

player ageing - off
first action..
transfers - 4.5 star nadal for 100k :lol:

Siorac

You kidding? That was an epic era of PC games. Won't ever trade it for anything.
1995-2000 was insane for PC gaming, with truly legendary games. By the time the PS2 rolled around, we went from the utterly silly Duke Nukem 3D (I still loved that, don't get me wrong) to the groundbreaking brilliance of Deus Ex. From Warcraft's 'control four units at a time' gameplay to Age of Empires 2 that thousands still play online and competitively to this day.

(I still have no idea what I'll do in that single measly little PC round)

FriedClams

Amazing thread, love the concept.

1. Ocarina of time
2. Majoras Mask
3. Goldeneye
4. Mario 64
5. 1080 Snowboarding

1 and 2 are childhood defining games. Growing up as link and getting the longshot gave me more joy than any educational success. Goldeneye is the most fun I had playing with my friends and cousins (although Mario kart could easily be in this spot too) and getting all 120 stars in Mario 64 just to see Yoshi for 10 seconds was another defining moment. I spent way more time playing 1080 degree snowboarding than I would ever have expected, and it was especially great during the Winter Olympics.

Siorac

Thread is full of FF nerds.
I missed out on Final Fantasy (assuming you mean that, and you didn't call us all Football Forum nerds which would be fair) back in the day but with PS Plus I've now played through the FF7 remake and it was much more fun than expected, though it had a lot of filler and padding - unsurprisingly, as I hear it's basically the first five hours of the original stretched out to 30.

Dirty Schwein

Has a 'Best of Britney Spears' album
Supports
Luton Town
1995-2000 was insane for PC gaming, with truly legendary games. By the time the PS2 rolled around, we went from the utterly silly Duke Nukem 3D (I still loved that, don't get me wrong) to the groundbreaking brilliance of Deus Ex. From Warcraft's 'control four units at a time' gameplay to Age of Empires 2 that thousands still play online and competitively to this day.

(I still have no idea what I'll do in that single measly little PC round)
As I said before, there will be a nice surprise for you PC nerds in that round.

Amazing thread, love the concept.

1. Ocarina of time
2. Majoras Mask
3. Goldeneye
4. Mario 64
5. 1080 Snowboarding

1 and 2 are childhood defining games. Growing up as link and getting the longshot gave me more joy than any educational success. Goldeneye is the most fun I had playing with my friends and cousins (although Mario kart could easily be in this spot too) and getting all 120 stars in Mario 64 just to see Yoshi for 10 seconds was another defining moment. I spent way more time playing 1080 degree snowboarding than I would ever have expected, and it was especially great during the Winter Olympics.
What a game!

Fortitude

TV/Monitor Expert
Scout
If Ocarina isn't in your top 3, does that mean you didn't play it at the time, or what?

I imagine going back to it now is a little jarring as it hasn't aged that well, and has been ripped off to the point the original might be seen as the copy, but it was a huge deal in its era. Just wondering who played it then and still give it a poor placement, really.

The Cat

I loved Xenogears, sadly my copy *cough* decided not to work near the end.
Can remember when my workplace used to ask me to go in once a month on a Sunday and they'd got a CD copier in one of the pc's and a local video shop started renting games out - that was so good.

Vidyoyo

The bad "V"
I loved Xenogears, sadly my copy *cough* decided not to work near the end.
:(

Xenogears is just something else. It's like the people who made it didn't understand how to make a videogame so decided instead to tell this really convoluted story full of psychoanalysis and religious allegory that sort of works but mostly just leaves you wondering how much further it can possibly go.

Edit - Similar to Evangelion

Spoony

The People's President
Can remember when my workplace used to ask me to go in once a month on a Sunday and they'd got a CD copier in one of the pc's and a local video shop started renting games out - that was so good.

I used to get mine for the Colosseum in Manchester. That blue tack was great.

esmufc07

Brad
Scout
If Ocarina isn't in your top 3, does that mean you didn't play it at the time, or what?

I imagine going back to it now is a little jarring as it hasn't aged that well, and has been ripped off to the point the original might be seen as the copy, but it was a huge deal in its era. Just wondering who played it then and still give it a poor placement, really.
Would have been higher but feck the Water Temple.

Grib

Imagine paying for actual ps1 games :lol:

* For the record, I definitely didn't have shoeboxes full of most of the ps games released in xtravision...

Spoony

The People's President
Games that should've got more votes...

Super Metroid, Res Evil 2, Pro Evo and if the Amiga was a part of it then Sensi would've been king.

The Cat

Games that should've got more votes...

Super Metroid, Res Evil 2, Pro Evo and if the Amiga was a part of it then Sensi would've been king.
The decathlon games need more love as well whatever the console / computer.