Gaming RedCafe's Greatest Video Games Of All Time Contest (ROUND 4)

Bosws87

Feel like apart from round 2 the top ones are hard to argue with.

Zen86

Played this mainly on PC and using those editors to mod each kit, name etc was incredible. I think I painted United kit textures myself. :lol:
It was a monstrous game. Very arcadey but so much fun to play against your mates. You had the likes of Adriano who could score from the halfway line, but the fun was always in the random overpowered players in various teams. Freddy Kanoute for example was a beast on it :lol:

Desert Eagle

Punjabi Dude
1. Dragon quest 8
2. Persona 4
3. FF 10
4. Kingdom Hearts 2
5. Suikoden 5

Special mention to GTA San Andreas, Medal of Honor Frontline/Vanguard, God of war, winning eleven, MGS 3, Bully, Onimusha 2, Xenosaga 3 and Gran Turismo 4

FrankDrebin

Don't call me Shirley
Supports
USA Manchester Red Socks
I really under utilized my PS2 with other games. I can't remember spending money on any other game other than PES.

I remember I scored this beautiful goal in PES 3 outside the box with Kaka at the San Siro with the goal keeper rooted to his spot as the ball calmly rolled into the back of the net.:drool:

The Cat

Will drink milk from your hands
1. GTA Vice City
2. GTA San Andreas
3. Virtua Tennis
4. Soulcalibur
5. Tiger Woods PGA Tour 4

BusbyMalone

First Man Falling
1. Metal Gear Solid 2: Sons of Liberty
2. Resident Evil 4
3. Gran Turismo 4
4. Grand Theft Auto 3
5. SSX 3

Bosws87

Amazed people preferred MGS2 to MGS3 I thought it was a common view that MGS3 is considered the best of the series!

Vidyoyo

The bad "V"
Amazed people preferred MGS2 to MGS3 I thought it was a common view that MGS3 is considered the best of the series!
MGS3 plays better but the themes in 2 are more interesting. Few games go to the lengths it did in terms of using the narrative to pass comment on media theory. This remains a great analysis - https://junkerhq.net/MGS2/

In recent years I think only Nier: Automata has come close (in terms of big budget games).

Appreciate not everyone thinks this way and some just enjoy playing the game :)

BusbyMalone

First Man Falling
Apart from the bosses (who were awesome), I find MGS3 to be the worst in the series! I know people have issues with Phantom Pain, but the gameplay more than makes up for any issues with the story, IMO. There again, I haven't played MGS3 in years, so perhaps my opinion of it would change if I play it again now. I just remember really not liking it at all at the time.

Ainu

MGS3 plays better but the themes in 2 are more interesting. Few games go to the lengths it did in terms of using the narrative to pass comment on media theory. This remains a great analysis - https://junkerhq.net/MGS2/

In recent years I think only Nier: Automata has come close (in terms of big budget games).

Appreciate not everyone thinks this way and some just enjoy playing the game :)
The themes may be interesting but the way they are presented to you, in ridiculously long sessions of blatant exposition, is not. Of course, that's been an issue with Kojima storytelling since forever and even MGS1 had some of that, but of the first three games I've always felt Sons of Liberty was by far the worst offender. And after the third game Kojima's storytelling just fell off a cliff and never recovered (I'm including Death Stranding in that).

I also think there's just so much less emotional impact in the second game, particularly when it came to the boss fights. In MGS1 it wasn't just the fight mechanics itself, but also the story and cutscenes which made the likes of Psycho Mantis, Vulcan Raven and Sniper Wolf so memorable. I just couldn't give a shit about Fatman, Fortune and the ridiculous Vamp. MGS3's Cobra unit had more or less the same issue but at least the final boss makes up for that by being the high point of the entire series, while the overall story was also much more involving.

Still, it was my most anticipated game back then and I played through it numerous times, so I do still love the game in a way (as opposed to MGS4 which I think is an absolute clusterfeck), but MGS3 shits all over it in every single area in my opinion.

Irwin99

People putting FF12 down :confused: Game is such slog on the PS2 with it's snail speed, dungeon design and bland cast (Balthier aside). I dare anyone not to use the speed up option on the recent release. It makes the game far more playable.

Irwin99

1. MGS 3 Snake Eater- I think MGS 2 is more intelligent and really made some uncomfortable points on where the world was heading but MGS 3 beats it for sheer fun, emotion and a legendary cast.
  2. FFX - The last classic offline FF game in my opinion.
  3. Shenmue- Has aged pretty badly but was a really important game and was amazing at the time.
  4. Quake 3- lot of fun, surprised it's not remembered more fondly
  5. Resident Evil 4- Every time i play this game my opinion on it changes. Absolutely mental, cheesy, OTT, ridiculous...but somehow works.
Special mention for Resident Evil Code Veronica on the Dreamcast which was probably the best version of the game.

Vidyoyo

The bad "V"
People putting FF12 down :confused: Game is such slog on the PS2 with it's snail speed, dungeon design and bland cast (Balthier aside). I dare anyone not to use the speed up option on the recent release. It makes the game far more playable.
The international edition fixed some of those issues but I agree - speeding up the game is a must. Personally I've put it down for PS2 even though I first played it on PS4 because that's console it first came out on.

Last edited:

Zen86

I know it's not the most popular, but I really enjoyed FF12. I liked the novel new combat system at the time, and while the story/characters don't quite hit the same emotional notes as others in the series, I thought the political direction all worked very well. The voice acting and production I thought was solid too. Granted I haven't played it since the original release.

AaronRedDevil

Yeah very weird people on here. Since MGS 3 is considered one of the best games ever made.

Ainu

Snail speed? I don't get that. It's pretty much lightspeed compared to some other popular JRPGs like Persona 5 and Dragon Quest XI. The dungeons themselves weren't great but the interconnected overworld was pretty good back then. It felt like a good compromise between the actual world maps of earlier games and the mostly linear sub areas of FFX. The gameplay was interesting with its gambit system, although it did take a while to open up. I thought it was a great game that was only let down by an uninteresting story and villain.

As for the speed up option, you could say the same any JRPG out there. I did use it during late-game level grinding in The Zodiac Age, just like I did on the FF7 PS4 version during a recent replay. I'd probably use it in any JRPG when grinding

1. MGS 3 Snake Eater- I think MGS 2 is more intelligent and really made some uncomfortable points on where the world was heading but MGS 3 beats it for sheer fun, emotion and a legendary cast.
  2. FFX - The last classic offline FF game in my opinion.
  3. Shenmue- Has aged pretty badly but was a really important game and was amazing at the time.
  4. Quake 3- lot of fun, surprised it's not remembered more fondly
  5. Resident Evil 4- Every time i play this game my opinion on it changes. Absolutely mental, cheesy, OTT, ridiculous...but somehow works.
Special mention for Resident Evil Code Veronica on the Dreamcast which was probably the best version of the game.
On Quake 3, it's definitely remembered fondly, just not on consoles I would guess. I made a similar post about Doom in the previous round. These games are mostly remembered as PC classics. Quake 3 is one of those landmark titles that defined an era of online gaming on the PC, alongside Unreal Tournament which released roughly at the same time.

Last edited:

Moby

Dick
On Quake 3, it's definitely remember fondly, just not on consoles I would guess. I made a similar post about Doom in the previous round. These games are mostly remembered as PC classics. Quake 3 is one of those landmark titles that defined an era of online gaming on the PC, alongside Unreal Tournament which released roughly at the same time.
Exactly this, Quake was pretty much one of the first ones for multiplayer FPS on PC for me, and it was mind blowing. :lol:

The Cat

Will drink milk from your hands
Exactly this, Quake was pretty much one of the first ones for multiplayer FPS on PC for me, and it was mind blowing. :lol:
Doom was mine - a few of us went to where my mate was working in Cardiff he was the network engineer and when we were able to play each other I couldn't believe it.

hobbers

1. Metal Gear Solid 3
2. GTA: Vice City
3. Halo 2
4. Shadow of the Colossus
5. GTA: San Andreas

JP77

1. GTA: San Andreas
2. Final Fantasy X
3. PES 4
4. Mario Kart: Double Dash
5. WWF Smackdown: Here Comes The Pain

Organic Potatoes

Supports
Colorado Rapids
So I guess I give RE4 a vote here even though it’s specifically the Wii version that I am thinking of?

Dirty Schwein

Has a 'Best of Britney Spears' album
Supports
Luton Town
Apart from PES 6, none of my other top 5 picks got a single vote so far from anyone :lol:

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
  1. Legend of Zelda: Wind Waker
  2. Halo 2
  3. Halo
  4. Super Mario Sunshine
  5. Super Smash Bros Melee
The best Smash Bros game IMO. Best balance between the modern versions chaos and classic feel.

Organic Potatoes

Supports
Colorado Rapids
  1. Shadow of the Colossus
  2. Splinter Cell: Chaos Theory
  3. Metal Gear Solid 3
  4. Resident Evil 4
  5. Grand Theft Auto: Vice City