Gaming RedCafe's Greatest Video Games Of All Time Contest (ROUND 5)

hobbers

Portal 2 is another I think is for the PC round.

Definitely need 2 PC rounds., maybe one specifically for valve. Between all the rubbish battle royales and mobas that will no doubt heavily feature.

altodevil

Odds winner of 'Odds or Evens 2023/2024'
Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhlastiffeck

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
1. Mass Effect 2
2. Dark Souls
3. Dragon Age Origins
4. Street Fighter 4
5. Portal 2

SmashedHombre

Memberus Anonymous & Legendus
1. Mass Effect
2. Dragon Age: Origins
3. CoD: Modern Warfare
4. Skyrim
5. Halo 3

paulscholes18

1) Red Dead redemption
2) the last of us
3)GTA V
4) Assassin's Creed Black flag
5) WII Sports

CloneMC16

Mass Effect 3 (it’s for the MP, don’t taze me)
ME3 is great and I will forever die on that hill. The last 30 minutes doesn't ruin the whole journey to make it there. Playing the game again via the Legendary Edition gave me an even bigger appreciation of the game. There are many great missions and moments. The extended cut also improves the ending. The OG ending lacked major closure. The added scenes in the extended cut help a lot. It satisfies me.

Ainu

I think the lines are totally washed like this though, no?

As an example:

Not having a go at this list (at all) but it's literally all PC ports, which says nothing about the generation in question, if you see where I'm coming from? Things like Uncharted 2, Last Of Us, Mario Galaxy and so forth are all generation specific, by contrast, which, I would think this is about as we're listing titles per gen.

I'm not having a moan, btw, just putting my thoughts out because I think titles intended purely for these consoles may miss out entirely if diluted with PC titles, in fact, I'm almost certain they will, which would be pretty weird when all is said and done, no?
How is that list literally all PC ports?

Mass Effect - originally launched on Xbox 360, released about half a year later on PC
Bioshock - released on Xbox 360 and PC at the same time
Skyrim - released on Xbox 360, PS3 and PC
Fallout 3 - same as above
Deus Ex: Human Revolution - same as above

None of those games released first on PC, at worst simultaneously. You could debate about which platform they run best on, but they're definitely console games as much as PC games. This isn't like, e.g., Quake, which was clearly a PC game that received several console ports later on. Or Half-Life that got a PS2 release years after its PC version.

Fortitude

TV/Monitor Expert
Scout
How is that list literally all PC ports?

Mass Effect - originally launched on Xbox 360, released about half a year later on PC
Bioshock - released on Xbox 360 and PC at the same time
Skyrim - released on Xbox 360, PS3 and PC
Fallout 3 - same as above
Deus Ex: Human Revolution - same as above

None of those games released first on PC, at worst simultaneously. You could debate about which platform they run best on, but they're definitely console games as much as PC games. This isn't like, e.g., Quake, which was clearly a PC game that received several console ports later on. Or Half-Life that got a PS2 release years after its PC version.
Mass Effect I’ll give you, and it was pointed out previously that it came out prior to PC, but ‘released at same time’ doesn’t mean anything when the game is intended for a specific machine and is then ported to others. You said it yourself with the bolded as you know that means optimised for with it then, unsurprisingly, being a lesser version for the ports. Lots of games release at the same time on different platforms, but it’s clear what the game was intended for and who’s getting the port, especially in that era.

I marvel at anyone who endured console Skyrim: that game was buggy as hell with a need for umpteen patches on its intended home, let alone on console!

Siorac

Portal 2 is another I think is for the PC round.

Definitely need 2 PC rounds., maybe one specifically for valve. Between all the rubbish battle royales and mobas that will no doubt heavily feature.
Both Portals were released on all platforms at the same time.

I think even primarily PC-associated games must be voted for in the console rounds just to make sure that actual PC exclusives can be squeezed in to the PC round. I mean, I played The Witcher 3 on my PC but there's no way I'm not voting for that in the PS4 round instead - it shouldn't take votes from 'full PC games'.

Siorac

Mass Effect I’ll give you, and it was pointed out previously that it came out prior to PC, but ‘released at same time’ doesn’t mean anything when the game is intended for a specific machine and is then ported to others. You said it yourself with the bolded as you know that means optimised for with it then, unsurprisingly, being a lesser version for the ports. Lots of games release at the same time on different platforms, but it’s clear what the game was intended for and who’s getting the port, especially in that era.

I marvel at anyone who endured console Skyrim: that game was buggy as hell with a need for umpteen patches on its intended home, let alone on console!
This is why it would have been better to make categories based on initial release date. This 'generations' thing is needlessly murky. Going by your criteria, multiplatform games should ALL be in the PC round - and that would mean the PC round would have several orders of magnitude more games to choose from than any other.

b82REZ

It's getting tedious reading the same arguments week in week out by the PC wankers.

Yes we all know most games run better on PC, you don't need to pollute the thread every week crying about how PC is not getting a fair representation. Most people play games on console.

Moby

Dick

I get you but we really cannot be that pedantic in terms of what platform a game belongs to. Especially as with these titles a lot of people played them entirely on consoles and they are pretty much the biggest sellers for consoles as well. So in terms of cultural impact, they impacted the console market as much as the PC market. I mean we are going to be left with console exclusives going by that and that would be wrong for a lot of people who only played these multiplatform games on consoles. Games like ME, TES, Arkham series 100% belong to these gens of consoles as much as TLOUs and UCs. If there's something I personally don't usually associate with consoles it is multiplayer FPS like COD but again a lot of people play them entirely on consoles as well. So they should be able to nominate them for the platform they played it on.

Also this way we reserve the PC rounds for pretty much dedicated PC games which have very little presence in the console market. And of course strictly PC games as well.

Ainu

I have to disagree. Beyond better performance (which is a given) and modding (which is not necessarily in the developer's control), it's not a given that those other games were designed to be best on PC. It sounds like a lazy assumption because they're first person titles. Bioshock ran and controlled great on Xbox 360, that definitely did not feel like a compromised version. Skyrim, I still remember how much people were complaining that it was catered to console gamers, with its control scheme and menus etc. These games aren't ports.

Fortitude

TV/Monitor Expert
Scout
This is why it would have been better to make categories based on initial release date. This 'generations' thing is needlessly murky. Going by your criteria, multiplatform games should ALL be in the PC round - and that would mean the PC round would have several orders of magnitude more games to choose from than any other.
I wasn’t going to go down that route and was just pointing out to @Ainu that there is still the issue of optimisation with multis as we often see the differences between intended machine and the remainder, but essentially, yes sort of - the waters do get murky if there’s a claim that PC games are multis when the other versions are what the developers manage to port successfully.

I will say that I’ve been consistent with my pov in previous rounds, but just with ‘arcade’ in place of ‘PC’ as wherever a game is originally intended for, is its home, imo.

As I mentioned in a previous post, this is a very strange round in that it could ultimately end up with PC ports totally usurping games made specifically for this generation’s consoles, making them/the round pretty redundant as those games are not representative of this particular set of consoles.

Fortitude

TV/Monitor Expert
Scout
It's getting tedious reading the same arguments week in week out by the PC wankers.

Yes we all know most games run better on PC, you don't need to pollute the thread every week crying about how PC is not getting a fair representation. Most people play games on console.
This is the first round where PC issues have taken precedence, is it not? How can it be repetitive if that’s the case?

Fortitude

TV/Monitor Expert
Scout
I get you but we really cannot be that pedantic in terms of what platform a game belongs to. Especially as with these titles a lot of people played them entirely on consoles and they are pretty much the biggest sellers for consoles as well. So in terms of cultural impact, they impacted the console market as much as the PC market. I mean we are going to be left with console exclusives going by that and that would be wrong for a lot of people who only played these multiplatform games on consoles. Games like ME, TES, Arkham series 100% belong to these gens of consoles as much as TLOUs and UCs. If there's something I personally don't usually associate with consoles it is multiplayer FPS like COD but again a lot of people play them entirely on consoles as well. So they should be able to nominate them for the platform they played it on.

Also this way we reserve the PC rounds for pretty much dedicated PC games which have very little presence in the console market. And of course strictly PC games as well.
I get that. I’ll leave it now.
I have to disagree. Beyond better performance (which is a given) and modding (which is not necessarily in the developer's control), it's not a given that those other games were designed to be best on PC. It sounds like a lazy assumption because they're first person titles. Bioshock ran and controlled great on Xbox 360, that definitely did not feel like a compromised version. Skyrim, I still remember how much people were complaining that it was catered to console gamers, with its control scheme and menus etc. These games aren't ports.
C’mon now… but I’m not going to go on and on about this as I don’t want @Dirty Schwein to have an aneurysm via thread derailment. :lol:

b82REZ

This is the first round where PC issues have taken precedence, is it not? How can it be repetitive if that’s the case?
Week on week people have moaned about PC games.

Your view that all multi plats this gen are poor PC ports is laughable tbh.

Ainu

I get that. I’ll leave it now.

C’mon now… but I’m not going to go on and on about this as I don’t want @Dirty Schwein to have an aneurysm via thread derailment. :lol:
Just because you keep repeating it doesn't make it true. People were literally claiming that the PC version of Skyrim was an Xbox 360 port back when it was released, that's how PC gamers viewed it. We all know these games are best played with a million mods, but that's besides the point.

Moby

Dick
Just because you keep repeating it doesn't make it true. People were literally claiming that the PC version of Skyrim was an Xbox 360 port back when it was released, that's how PC gamers viewed it. We all know these games are best played with a million mods, but that's besides the point.
Let's get to the elephant in the room for which this whole activity is being done.

Is Hollow Knight a PC, PS4 or Switch game? :wenger:

Eriku

1. Dark Souls
2. Deus Ex: Human Revolution
3. Red Dead Redemption
4. The Last Of Us
5. Portal

Last edited:

Siorac

I wasn’t going to go down that route and was just pointing out to @Ainu that there is still the issue of optimisation with multis as we often see the differences between intended machine and the remainder, but essentially, yes sort of - the waters do get murky if there’s a claim that PC games are multis when the other versions are what the developers manage to port successfully.

I will say that I’ve been consistent with my pov in previous rounds, but just with ‘arcade’ in place of ‘PC’ as wherever a game is originally intended for, is its home, imo.

As I mentioned in a previous post, this is a very strange round in that it could ultimately end up with PC ports totally usurping games made specifically for this generation’s consoles, making them/the round pretty redundant as those games are not representative of this particular set of consoles.
In the end, my opinion still is that if a game was released for multiple platforms simultaneously, then it's fine to include for any of those platforms, especially as we don't really have definite information about the development process, what platform was each game originally developed for and how.

And, well, considering console gaming's overall much higher market share, I'd say it's more important to give a chance to PC exclusive titles to compete than to worry about console exclusives getting defeated by multiplatform games.

Dirty Schwein

Has a 'Best of Britney Spears' album
Supports
Luton Town
The PC talk is going nuts, I kind of wish I just made this console specific. Although I have said many times that the PC round will have something special done to it for the PC gamers in here so please have patience.

I don't however include @Fortitude in this. From what I gather, he is not arguing that there should be more PC games or anything like that, I think he is saying that the amount of games that are optimized for PC are taking away from the generational games. I think he would rather see a top 5 including TLOU, Mario Galaxy, Gear of War etc. However, as we progress through the generations, this was always likely to happen as most games are released cross platform. There are barely any console exclusives these days outside of Nintendo games.

At the end of the day, this is all about what games people in here enjoyed and a lot of people played games on consoles (myself included) so that's where most of us will draw our lists from. This actually helps PC games as at the end of the day, it's all about finding the best games. In the final list, the games will appear and it won't mention what consoles they are from.

Let's get to the elephant in the room for which this whole activity is being done.

Is Hollow Knight a PC, PS4 or Switch game? :wenger:
Switch ya bellend!

In no particular order:

Skyrim
Red Dead Redemption
The Last Of Us
Dark Souls
Deus Ex: Human Revolution
Please number these in order otherwise I can't tally them up.

Fortitude

TV/Monitor Expert
Scout
Having user friendly, non-mouse and keyboard setups (pre-configured 360 controls, for example) was just becoming mainstream then as the porting/blending was just picking up and PC throttling to cater to console was in the fledgling stages. Complaints were more aimed at that than the optimisation of the game, which was wholly intended for PC, particularly with Bathseda’s track record of needing umpteen patches to get even the proper versions of their games running correctly.

I’m not a PC snob, but I think it’s disingenuous to not point these things out. I’ll also reiterate that it’s games made for this generation of consoles specifically that lose out, which, to me, kind of defeats the purpose of them having a round. Super Mario Galaxy or Uncharted 2 etc. getting thwarted by ports is odd in their own round.

Moby

Dick
Believe me I've thought about this. :lol: It should just win every round it's eligible for.
This is the way @Dirty Schwein .

I had it marked for the PS4 round as I played it on that. But if you asked me overall I feel it is a PC game which is where most of the content has been created on it as well. But since I can find other options for PC, I'd put it for PS4. Given PS5 round is gonna be a bit shite we can put it there as well. :D

balaks

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
I think Dark Souls and any of the 'Souls' games are incredibly boring, repetitive and far too frustrating to be enjoyable. It really amazes me to see so many people not only like it but think it's one of the best games ever made - it is a bit rubbish if you ask me.

Fortitude

TV/Monitor Expert
Scout
In the end, my opinion still is that if a game was released for multiple platforms simultaneously, then it's fine to include for any of those platforms, especially as we don't really have definite information about the development process, what platform was each game originally developed for and how.

And, well, considering console gaming's overall much higher market share, I'd say it's more important to give a chance to PC exclusive titles to compete than to worry about console exclusives getting defeated by multiplatform games.
That’s also a more than valid point. The saturation goes both ways: console specific games getting washed by multi plats in reverse.

But yeah, I’ve said my piece, whether disagreeable or not, I won’t belabour it.

Volumiza

The alright "V", B-Boy cypher cat
Even this thread has to turn into an argument? :lol: How to suck the joy out of everything #101.

Does it really matter about the platform, either PC or Console? Aren't we just looking for a general idea of the greatest game?

Ainu

This is the way @Dirty Schwein .

I had it marked for the PS4 round as I played it on that. But if you asked me overall I feel it is a PC game which is where most of the content has been created on it as well. But since I can find other options for PC, I'd put it for PS4. Given PS5 round is gonna be a bit shite we can put it there as well. :D
I'm also just going to list it under the PS4 round I think. In terms of hours it's close between that and PC for me, but I played it first on PS4.

Fortitude

TV/Monitor Expert
Scout
The PC talk is going nuts, I kind of wish I just made this console specific. Although I have said many times that the PC round will have something special done to it for the PC gamers in here so please have patience.

I don't however include @Fortitude in this. From what I gather, he is not arguing that there should be more PC games or anything like that, I think he is saying that the amount of games that are optimized for PC are taking away from the generational games. I think he would rather see a top 5 including TLOU, Mario Galaxy, Gear of War etc. However, as we progress through the generations, this was always likely to happen as most games are released cross platform. There are barely any console exclusives these days outside of Nintendo games.

At the end of the day, this is all about what games people in here enjoyed and a lot of people played games on consoles (myself included) so that's where most of us will draw our lists from. This actually helps PC games as at the end of the day, it's all about finding the best games. In the final list, the games will appear and it won't mention what consoles they are from.

Switch ya bellend!

Please number these in order otherwise I can't tally them up.
Yeah spot on, Schwein: that’s my overarching point. Your conclusion is also pretty apt.

Moby

Dick
I think Dark Souls and any of the 'Souls' games are incredibly boring, repetitive and far too frustrating to be enjoyable. It really amazes me to see so many people not only like it but think it's one of the best games ever made - it is a bit rubbish if you ask me.
You are having a laugh. Bloodborne is literally one of the most fun and enjoyable games I've ever played. Yeah, that is faster paced so a bit more fun than DS probably but still, these games have the highest replayability value given the amount of builds and strategies you can try. I have been playing the NG+ of Bloodborne using a different weapon and it feels like an entirely new game. If I ever feel I have an hour or so to just kill some time this is the first thing that comes to mind, far far better to replay this than most story based RPGs.