RedCafe's Top 20 (30) by Position | Please check out the last threadmark

How should we proceed with the midfielders thread?

• Total voters

Gio

★★★★★★★★
Supports
Rangers
Comes down to whether you want to load up the stoppers with modern all-rounders, or put them in with the sweepers and liberi. It's almost 3 different types of player.

Physiocrat

Has No Mates
Comes down to whether you want to load up the stoppers with modern all-rounders, or put them in with the sweepers and liberi. It's almost 3 different types of player.
Yeah they are really are. Three lists would be excessive because the genuine sweeper list is so small comparatively. I reckon the complete CBs should be dealt with on a case by case as to whether they are more of a creator or stopper type. This partially correlates with whether they are the main organiser in defence, those tend to be the ball player/libero type

oneniltothearsenal

Caf's Milton Friedman and Arse Aficionado
Scout
Supports
Brazil, Arsenal,LA Aztecs
After looking at strikers list, I think in hindsight a few like Rooney and Elkjaer maybe should have been forwards.

oneniltothearsenal

Caf's Milton Friedman and Arse Aficionado
Scout
Supports
Brazil, Arsenal,LA Aztecs
I'd add Henry in this category, especially considering that you include Greaves, Shevchenko or Villa, strikers who came out of the area and lateralized as much or much than the French, however, if he doesn't meet the requirements I'd include one of the 6 below.

I would not classify Rooney here, but as a support striker/forward by sure.

I loved Weah, but I think his prime was too short, while I think Drogba had very variable performances between seasons.

I'm not sure which category Labruna should be in.
Are you the glavisted from: http://glavisted.blogspot.com?

Great blog if you are and welcome to the draft forum!

harms

Shining Star of Paektu Mountain
Staff
Thinking about it today, I’m not sure why I put Henry as a forward as he should clearly be in that Law/Sheva category. But we’ll never be completely happy with those lists :(

Synco

Lucio's #1 Fan
Thinking about it today, I’m not sure why I put Henry as a forward as he should clearly be in that Law/Sheva category. But we’ll never be completely happy with those lists :(
In my mind, all of this is the great test run for the Caf All-Time Rankings 2024, when we'll do everything properly :lol:

We may never do that, but it sure helps for being relaxed about the bumpy parts & little inconsistencies.

Lay

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
@Lay
I guess that list is only comprised of strikers you've seen?
Yes. If it’s a problem I can redo it with players I know about and their reputation rather than what I’ve seen. I was too young to see Van Basten, Muller, Riva but I know about them and their reputation.

Synco

Lucio's #1 Fan
Yes. If it’s a problem I can redo it with players I know about and their reputation rather than what I’ve seen. I was too young to see Van Basten, Muller, Riva but I know about them and their reputation.
Understandable, I think we all have that problem to whatever degree.

But yes, it would be cool if you could do an all-time list for the vote (since 1950, that is) - only reason is to keep voting as even as possible, so the oldies don't lose out by default. Can be shorter than 30 names too.

But leave your original list in if you want, it's of course interesting as a personal perspective.

Synco

Lucio's #1 Fan
Final call for the strikers voting, the thread will (probably) be closed some time tomorrow.

antohan

gets aroused by tagline boobs
Final call for the strikers voting, the thread will (probably) be closed some time tomorrow.
Thanks for the heads up. Been procrastinating on that. Keep finding where some players are a bit mind-boggling.

Synco

Lucio's #1 Fan
Hi everyone, you won't believe it, but something is happening with the all-time voting project!

We have decided to no longer sit on the results, and the missing positions (AMs, wingers, forwards, strikers) will be published in the upcoming days.

When the first round of results is posted, I'll tag those who have voted but haven't been regularly on here lately.

Synco

Lucio's #1 Fan
All positional rankings are up now, with the exception of the #10s. If you want to see that one, you have to prod @harms a bit more.

harms

Shining Star of Paektu Mountain
Staff
All positional rankings are up now, with the exception of the #10s. If you want to see that one, you have to prod @harms a bit more.
They're in the OP, I've edited them in as soon as we agreed upon it.