RedCafe's Top 20 (30) by Position | Please check out the last threadmark

How should we proceed with the midfielders thread?

• Total voters

Šjor Bepo

Wout is love, Wout is life; all hail Wout!
Keepers

Fullbacks

Centerbacks

Midfielders - all bar offensive ones, so DMs and CMs

Offensive midfielders - 10s, attacking midfielders(Pogba, peak Gerrard etc.), wingers

Forwards - modern "wingers" aka Messi/Ronaldo, second strikers, false nines etc.

Reckon this would be decent if you dont want to many categories...

harms

Shining Star of Paektu Mountain
Staff
Chumpitaz and Santamaria aren't good enough to tie Nesta's shoelaces.
It would've made sense if the sweeper's list would've looked like this :lol:
  1. Passarella
  2. Schulz
  3. Beckenbauer

harms

Staff
No offense, but wouldn't it make sense to agree on categories first before posting rankings? Same for the question which group certain players should fall into.
Yeah, I think the format, categories and the number of nominations should be agreed upon before the beginning.

Physiocrat

Has No Mates
As for categories I think these would work without being too detailed (maybe a bit :wenger:)

Goalkeepers

Stoppers CBs

Sweepers CBs

(Possibly Liberos)

Left Backs

Right Backs

Attacking Left Backs

Attacking Right Backs

DMs

Box-to-box Midfielders

Goalscoring 8s

Midfield Playmakers

10s

Traditional Right Winger

Traditional Left Winger

Left Wide attackers

Right Wide attackers

Second-strikers

Strikers

Synco

Lucio's #1 Fan
All right @Physiocrat, I'll make a shorter suggestion partly based on your categories.

Goalkeepers

Sweepers

Center Backs

Left Backs **

Right Backs **

DMs

Box-to-box CMs ***

Midfield Playmakers & #10s ****

Traditional Wingers

Wide Forwards

Creative/Playmaking Forwards

Strikers

* All CBs not classic sweepers, including modern ball-playing CBs

** LB/RB could also be put together into just "fullbacks & wingbacks"

*** Basically a combination of your B2B and goalscoring #8s categories

**** DLPs could be done seperately, but it may be too specialized

I'm also not against putting wingers and wide forwards into one category, although I can understand the seperation.

Basic idea is that fewer categories allow for more comparison. But in the end I'm fine with anything.

Physiocrat

Has No Mates
Who would fall into your goalscoring 8s category @Physiocrat ?
Matthaus and Vidal would fit but it was mainly created for Frank Lampard/ Yaya Toure types. It's a bit of a niche position to be fair although if you just called it an 8 then Pogba would fit in there too.

Physiocrat

Has No Mates
@Synco

I think we need a second striker category. This has been debated before, but Shevchenko was best as a second-striker but he was hardly creative so I wouldn't put him in the creative forward section. That said their might not be that many second-strikers like Shevchenko so it might not matter.

Midfield play-makers and 10s makes sense as you'd likely only have one of them in your side. Unless you're @Theon

Gio

★★★★★★★★
Supports
Rangers
@Synco I’d rather see Xavi, Modric Scholes types in a CM category rather than compared with 10s. To me they’re basically 8s. The question is more about if they are combined with the vertical box to box CMs or have their own category.

Synco

Lucio's #1 Fan
@Synco

I think we need a second striker category. This has been debated before, but Shevchenko was best as a second-striker but he was hardly creative so I wouldn't put him in the creative forward section. That said their might not be that many second-strikers like Shevchenko so it might not matter.

Midfield play-makers and 10s makes sense as you'd likely only have one of them in your side. Unless you're @Theon
Just like DLPs and goalscoring #8s, it might be okay to shoehorn them, when the pool of relevant candidates is rather small - something like "Strikers & Second Strikers". But again, I'd be fine with doing a seperate category too, if people prefer that.
@Synco I’d rather see Xavi, Modric Scholes types in a CM category rather than compared with 10s. To me they’re basically 8s. The question is more about if they are combined with the vertical box to box CMs or have their own category.
Yeah, I was labouring over the problem of modern playmaking #8s a lot as well.

Enigma_87

You know who
Yeah I reckon they sit comfortably in the box to box category.
I think we discussed box to box before and some mentioned that there were goalscoring box to box (like Breitner, Matthaus, Neeskens and Robbo) and more conservative ones like Tigana and Davids purely based on output(as they were pretty key to their teams going forward), which is perhaps fair as B2B are genuinely different in terms of style and can be divided as such.

Of course if you can merge the two categories otherwise it will be difficult to tell where we draw the line.

To me the categorization should be as follows:

GK's

Sweepers/Ball playing defenders

Stoppers/Center backs

Left Backs

Right Backs

Defensive Midfielders (Anchors, Destroyers,etc)

Deep Lying Playmakers (the likes of Pirlo, Xavi, late Schuster)

Box To Box

Attacking Midfielders/ #10's / Advanced playmakers

Left wingers

Right Wingers

Left wing forwards

Right wing forwards

Second strikers

Strikers/center forwards

Enigma_87

You know who
@Synco

Sheva was also pretty good all round #9. I wouldn't call him a SS in his best days. He played many games as a #9 with Kaka behind him when Inzaghi was unavailable and with Tomasson besides him who was also a SS/CF hybrid.

Gio

★★★★★★★★
Supports
Rangers
I think we discussed box to box before and some mentioned that there were goalscoring box to box (like Breitner, Matthaus, Neeskens and Robbo) and more conservative ones like Tigana and Davids purely based on output(as they were pretty key to their teams going forward), which is perhaps fair as B2B are genuinely different in terms of style and can be divided as such.

Of course if you can merge the two categories otherwise it will be difficult to tell where we draw the line.

GK's

Stoppers/Center backs

Left Backs

Right Backs

Box To Box

Left wingers

Right Wingers

Left wing forwards

Right wing forwards

Second strikers

Strikers/center forwards
That's the list for me.

harms

Staff
@Synco

I’d say that he was a mobile striker (as in not a “target man”), but a striker nonetheless. Like Ronaldo, Henry, Elkjaer, Weah... someone who plays better in a counter attacking system with the ball passed in front of him. Not comparing their quality though and of course Ronaldo/Henry had tons of creativity on top of that, while Sheva was more of a workhorse.

2mufc0

Everything is fair game in capitalism!
Supports
Dragon of Dojima
I’d say that he was a mobile striker (as in not a “target man”), but a striker nonetheless. Like Ronaldo, Henry, Elkjaer, Weah... someone who plays better in a counter attacking system with the ball passed in front of him. Not comparing their quality though and of course Ronaldo/Henry had tons of creativity on top of that, while Sheva was more of a workhorse.
Would agree with most of this, but Sheva also had that mercurial aspect to him, he scored some spectacular goals.

harms

Staff
Would agree with most of this, but Sheva also had that mercurial aspect to him, he scored some spectacular goals.
Yeah, of course, it goes without saying. He’s one of the best strikers of his generation that won’t look out of place in any team. It’s just that I compared him to Ronaldo earlier, so I had to draw the line :)

Physiocrat

Has No Mates
I don't know enough about Elkjaer but with the others I would always really want them in a front two

Physiocrat

Has No Mates
And even in that front two Henry is the number 9 — if we take his partnership with Bergkamp as a template.
I'm probably an outlier but I'd like Henry with a proper 9 in a diamond. I think he'd work best with a 9 who can occupy the box which frees him up to do as he pleases he on the inside left with a direct 10 to slip him through. Something like this-

-------------Henry-------Batistuta--------
----------------------Kopa----------------------
----------Nedved---------Beckham--------
---------------------Stielike-------------------
R.Carlos---T.Silva---McGrath---Cafu

Skizzo

I'm probably an outlier but I'd like Henry with a proper 9 in a diamond. I think he'd work best with a 9 who can occupy the box which frees him up to do as he pleases he on the inside left with a direct 10 to slip him through. Something like this-

-------------Henry-------Batistuta--------
----------------------Kopa----------------------
----------Nedved---------Beckham--------
---------------------Stielike-------------------
R.Carlos---T.Silva---McGrath---Cafu
I’d like him in a front 4 with something similar to

Henry
Ronaldinho Laudrup Best​

Demyanenko_square_jaw

@Synco

Shevchenko was mainly a striker, just a versatile and skilled one rather than a poacher or more limited target man/hold up type so you could easily play him in a two goalscorers setup with someone like Inzaghi. Sergei Rebrov was always the supporting forward/trequartista type for Kiev and Ukraine for instance, Tomasson when Milan used one.

Shevchenko was probably the first forward in a long time that Lobanovsky letpick his battles and mainly be a finisher in and around the box, he still had to put in structured work defensively from the front, but not nearly as much as previous era main forwards like Blokhin, Onyschenko, Protasov and Belanov. I think perhaps he had learned from stifling Protasov to be less dogmatic in his approach to the front line, Protasov was a deadly versatile forward for Dnipro, but liked his tactical freedom and Lobanovsky turned him into a workhorse goal every three games false-forward that was much more subsumed into the build-up play like Belanov.

Physiocrat

Has No Mates
Shevchenko was mainly a striker, just a versatile and skilled one rather than a poacher or more limited target man/hold up type so you could easily play him in a two goalscorers setup with someone like Inzaghi. Sergei Rebrov was always the supporting forward/trequartista type for Kiev and Ukraine for instance, Tomasson when Milan used one.

Shevchenko was probably the first forward in a long time that Lobanovsky letpick his battles and mainly be a finisher in and around the box, he still had to put in structured work defensively from the front, but not nearly as much as previous era main forwards like Blokhin, Onyschenko, Protasov and Belanov. I think perhaps he had learned from stifling Protasov to be less dogmatic in his approach to the front line, Protasov was a deadly versatile forward for Dnipro, but liked his tactical freedom and Lobanovsky turned him into a workhorse goal every three games false-forward that was much more subsumed into the build-up play like Belanov.
Thanks for the info :)

Synco

Lucio's #1 Fan

GK's

Stoppers/Center backs

Left Backs

Right Backs

Box To Box

Left wingers

Right Wingers

Left wing forwards

Right wing forwards

Second strikers

Strikers/center forwards
I like the solution of putting DLPs and playmaking #8s (Xavi) into one category.

What I don't quite get: Are playmaking forwards like Cruijff, Messi, Bergkamp, Totti seen as advanced playmakers or second strikers here? They're kind of both at once to me, so maybe best put into a category of their own?

And as a matter of personal preference, I don't favour splitting the winger categories into LW/RW. I'd rather have Ronaldo & Robben on the same list for example, similar for players in the "classic" winger bracket like Giggs, Pires, Beckham, Figo. But if the majority prefers otherwise it's okay of course.

Physiocrat

Has No Mates
What I don't quite get: Are playmaking forwards like Cruijff, Messi, Bergkamp, Totti seen as advanced playmakers or second strikers here? They're kind of both at once to me, so maybe best put into a category of their own?
I think my previous Shevchenko discussion means we should probably replace second striker with central creative forward, or something like that, to accommodate the creative second striker types like Baggio, Del Piero and Rivaldo. Cruyff would probably fit well in there as would Messi and Bergkamp. I'd put Totti as advanced playmaker mainly because of his role in the 2000 Roma Scudetto winning side where he played behind Batistuta and Montella.

And as a matter of personal preference, I don't favour splitting the winger categories into LW/RW. I'd rather have Ronaldo & Robben on the same list for example, similar for players in the "classic" winger bracket like Giggs, Pires, Beckham, Figo. But if the majority prefers otherwise it's okay of course.
That's reasonable but then we should then not distinguish between left and right backs for a similar reason.

Synco

Lucio's #1 Fan
I think my previous Shevchenko discussion means we should probably replace second striker with central creative forward, or something like that, to accommodate the creative second striker types like Baggio, Del Piero and Rivaldo. Cruyff would probably fit well in there as would Messi and Bergkamp. I'd put Totti as advanced playmaker mainly because of his role in the 2000 Roma Scudetto winning side where he played behind Batistuta and Montella.
Alright, if the second striker category means exactly that, then all's cleared up. (I'd have Totti in that bracket, not least because he was deployed as a false 9 for Roma in some seasons, even winning the Golden Boot in that role in 06/07.)
That's reasonable but then we should then not distinguish between left and right backs for a similar reason.
I suggested that too in post #48, although I have to say it still feels better to divide fullbacks than wingers. I can't really say why.

But in the end I could live with any outcome, the main purpose is the voting. So I think I'll take a step back now & wait what people decide.

Physiocrat

Has No Mates
What does everyone think of renaming the second striker role to a creative central forward position? It would be more descriptive and would allow us to put in players like false 9s there too.

For context see my previous few posts with Synco.

Enigma_87

You know who
I like the solution of putting DLPs and playmaking #8s (Xavi) into one category.

Well to me you can easily fit all those mentioned in some of the categories like Messi In wise forwards, Bergkamp, Totti as second strikers etc.

The reason why we have wide forwards and wingers imo is because they serve a very different purpose and tactics schemes. For example you can’t put Messi and Neymar in 4-4-2 as wide midfielders. And we have Becks who isn’t really a wide forward.

Second strikers generally are more advanced than #10 but that doesn’t mean that they can’t be creative.

Synco

Lucio's #1 Fan
The reason why we have wide forwards and wingers imo is because they serve a very different purpose and tactics schemes. For example you can’t put Messi and Neymar in 4-4-2 as wide midfielders. And we have Becks who isn’t really a wide forward.
Misunderstanding, I meant dividing each category into right and left sided players, not the distinction between classic wingers and wide forwards. So I was basically rooting for two categories instead of four.