RedCafe's Top 20 (30) by Position | Please check out the last threadmark

How should we proceed with the midfielders thread?

• Total voters

Šjor Bepo

Wout is love, Wout is life; all hail Wout!
id say just add wide forwards so in forwards category we have second/roaming strikers and false 9s while wide guys stay separated(pretty much all modern ones + Robben + Julinho, Bene and similar co.)

Physiocrat

Has No Mates
Here's the suggestion I had a while back for this. Four categories-

Traditional Wingers

Forwards (bad name but it is to distinguish players who are mostly about the goals and not that creative such as CR7. If your more creative you go into creative forwards, such as Messi)

Creative Forwards

Strikers

harms

Shining Star of Paektu Mountain
Staff
Forwards (bad name but it is to distinguish players who are mostly about the goals and not that creative such as CR7. If your more creative you go into creative forwards, such as Messi)

Creative Forwards
That's just impossible to do as you have to assess everyone's creativity by some scale. If Messi, despite all of his goals, goes to creative forwards (like he should), where's the distinction? Cruyff — yes, Di Stéfano — yes... Puskás? Eusébio? Henry? I'm trying to create the least subjective criteria and this one would cause a debate on too many cases.

Physiocrat

Has No Mates
That's just impossible to do as you have to assess everyone's creativity by some scale. If Messi, despite all of his goals, goes to creative forwards (like he should), where's the distinction? Cruyff — yes, Di Stéfano — yes... Puskás? Eusébio? Henry? I'm trying to create the least subjective criteria and this one would cause a debate on too many cases.
Fair enough

Gio

★★★★★★★★
Supports
Rangers
Yeah, it's not easy, although to be fair we made a distinction between our playmaking central midfielders and box-to-box midfielders on a similar basis. You could split based on which forwards rely on their tehnical attributes moreso than their physical assets - i.e. if you had to choose what stood out most for each of these players between their physical and technical, you could split the list like this (Physical - Cristiano, Eusebio, Henry, Gullit, Rummenigge, Jairzinho, Keegan, Kubala, Bale, Salah, Blokhin, Heynckes; Technical - Messi, Baggio, Ronaldinho, Cruyff, Puskas, Di Stefano, Hidegkuti, Sivori, Savicevic, Rivaldo, Totti, Del Piero, Dalglish, Cantona, Albert, Neymar, Griezmann, Bergkamp). Although perhaps the cleanest solution would have been to throw these technical guys in with the list of 10s we've already done.

I'm not really arsed though, just brainstorming - good to hear other views.

Physiocrat

Has No Mates
Yeah, it's not easy, although to be fair we made a distinction between our playmaking central midfielders and box-to-box midfielders on a similar basis. You could split based on which forwards rely on their tehnical attributes moreso than their physical assets - i.e. if you had to choose what stood out most for each of these players between their physical and technical, you could split the list like this (Physical - Cristiano, Eusebio, Henry, Gullit, Rummenigge, Jairzinho, Keegan, Kubala, Bale, Salah, Blokhin, Heynckes; Technical - Messi, Baggio, Ronaldinho, Cruyff, Puskas, Di Stefano, Hidegkuti, Sivori, Savicevic, Rivaldo, Totti, Del Piero, Dalglish, Cantona, Albert, Neymar, Griezmann, Bergkamp). Although perhaps the cleanest solution would have been to throw these technical guys in with the list of 10s we've already done.

I'm not really arsed though, just brainstorming - good to hear other views.
I'm with Gio on this. It might not be easy or as straightforward as one would like but I do think it distinguishes the types of player well without unduly reducing the number of players you could have within a particular category. Like with the difference between playmakers and B2B midfielders it also gestures to the difference in how they function within the team.

Šjor Bepo

Dont like it, at this level most fit for both.

Id go wide forwards, forwards(floaters, ss, f9, defensive ones) and strikers. Three categories that pretty much cover everything.

GodShaveTheQueen

We mean it man, we love our queen!
Dont like it, at this level most fit for both.

Id go wide forwards, forwards(floaters, ss, f9, defensive ones) and strikers. Three categories that pretty much cover everything.
I like that. Personally would prefer a separate category for wingers and wide forwards.

Physiocrat

Has No Mates
Would you both prefer harms original wingers, forwards and strikers over Gio's suggestion? Just trying to get a handle on the ranked preferences.

Šjor Bepo

Would you both prefer harms original wingers, forwards and strikers over Gio's suggestion? Just trying to get a handle on the ranked preferences.
probably, dont really understand the physical - technical thing tbh, way too many overlaps and you still dont separate wide players from central ones which is the most important task IMO

Physiocrat

Has No Mates
probably, dont really understand the physical - technical thing tbh, way too many overlaps and you still dont separate wide players from central ones which is the most important task IMO
I'm happy with wide forwards being a category. I think we need another way to distinguishing the forwards - just having it as a singular category doesn't do justice to the variety of players.

Earvin Johnson

Supports
Fc Barcelona
I really enjoy the initiative and would like to pariticipate so that's why i was asking, why is it inactive for now ? And what would be needed to be done in order to revive it ?

Synco

Lucio's #1 Fan
I really enjoy the initiative and would like to pariticipate so that's why i was asking, why is it inactive for now ? And what would be needed to be done in order to revive it ?
Yeah, do join in when we finish it!

It's just a project that takes a bit of work and got sidelined some time ago. harms has supervised it & I've assisted him a bit, so it would be us who need to pick it up again. But I don't think it would be that hard to finish it - at least the votings. harms' writeups have been the largest chunk of work, but imo that can be done at any later time as well. I guess we'll do it soon, good that you prodded us a bit.

Earvin Johnson

Supports
Fc Barcelona

It's just a project that takes a bit of work and got sidelined some time ago. harms has supervised it & I've assisted him a bit, so it would be us who need to pick it up again. But I don't think it would be that hard to finish it - at least the votings. harms' writeups have been the largest chunk of work, but imo that can be done at any later time as well. I guess we'll do it soon, good that you prodded us a bit.
I wish you good luck guys then, i like this place it feels like people are more knowledgable and respectful on average than the rest of the caf, It reminds me of the player comparison board of real gm basketball forum, they also do these kind of ranking projects and really do give great insight on the game.

Synco

Lucio's #1 Fan
I wish you good luck guys then, i like this place it feels like people are more knowledgable and respectful on average than the rest of the caf, It reminds me of the player comparison board of real gm basketball forum, they also do these kind of ranking projects and really do give great insight on the game.
I feel the same about the draft community, it's quite special. Join the discussions if you like, and there's also a new draft coming up right now, if that's something you're interested in. (Can even start out as an assistant manager.)

Otherwise you'll surely get tagged when the voting is on for the final all-time positions.

harms

Shining Star of Paektu Mountain
Staff

Actually you can do the voting bit if it’s not too much of a hassle? We just need to make a positional list.

Synco

Lucio's #1 Fan
Actually you can do the voting bit if it’s not too much of a hassle? We just need to make a positional list.
Sure, let's do so, I just need to play the draft final first.

Last edited:

Synco

Lucio's #1 Fan
Folks, we will now complete our all-time players voting project, finally. Three positions to go, first up are wingers/wide midfielders - shortlist & all details in the respective thread. (But all discussion about it only here.) There are a couple of guidelines, please read them before posting your list.

Special thanks to @Earvin Johnson, who reminded us to resume & finish this project.

Last edited:

Šjor Bepo

@Synco think you can only tag 5 people per post, more then that and they dont receive the tag