Reddit Video Autoplays

Skills

Snitch
Anyway to disable them? They just make the entire page of a thread completely unreadable. If not, can we just ban any videos embedded from reddit please? There's one on page 765 of the coronavirus thread now.

Wibble

In Gadus Speramus
Staff
Anyway to disable them? They just make the entire page of a thread completely unreadable. If not, can we just ban any videos embedded from reddit please? There's one on page 765 of the coronavirus thread now.
How so? The video autoplays but there is no audio for me so I don't care. To hear the audio I have to clock through to reddit and un-mute the video

Skills

Snitch
How so? The video autoplays but there is no audio for me so I don't care. To hear the audio I have to clock through to reddit and un-mute the video
The sound autoplays for me too on my laptop while I'm on chrome. Funnily enough, fine on my phone (video also doesn't autoplay)

Dr. Dwayne

Self proclaimed tagline king.
Is there any way to stop videos that are embedded in Reddit posts to not autoplay? It's kind of annoying.
@Niall
@Damien

It's truly horrendous. Once a couple of people quote one of these messages it becomes an all out assault on your ears. If we can't stop the clips from autoplaying is there at least a way to disable the embedding in quoted posts?
quoting these here, just two of a few in recent weeks.

jojojo

JoJoJoJoJoJoJo
Staff
Welcome to Manchester reception committee
I can't tell you if it's fixable, but I do know that Niall is very busy at the moment. Temporary workarounds are welcome.

The obvious ones seem to be, link to the Reddit story rather than embed it. Put the Reddit post in a spoiler with a title so people can decide whether or not to open it. If you're replying to a post containing a Reddit video, post a link to the post rather than use the quote function.

Or something like that, only better?

Olly Gunnar Solskjær

Marxist bacon-hating kebab-dodging Tinder rascal
Scout
I can't tell you if it's fixable, but I do know that Niall is very busy at the moment. Therefore workarounds are welcome.

The obvious ones seem to be, link to the Reddit story rather than embed it. Put the Reddit post in a spoiler with a title so people can decide whether or not to open it. If you're replying to a post containing a Reddit video, post a link to the post rather than use the quote function.

You can't paste just the link unfortauntely as automatically gets embedded.

And also if you put it in a spoiler it autoplays whether it's opened or not :lol: It's a bit of a pain overall really!

jojojo

JoJoJoJoJoJoJo
Staff
You can't paste just the link unfortauntely as automatically gets embedded.

And also if you put it in a spoiler it autoplays whether it's opened or not :lol: It's a bit of a pain overall really!
No Reddit video links - except for ones with deliberately malformed URLs then. :lol:

Are there any particular threads where it's currently happening a lot? It seldom happens to me when I'm using my phone, so I'm curious if browser settings could impact it now.

Dr. Dwayne

I can't tell you if it's fixable, but I do know that Niall is very busy at the moment. Temporary workarounds are welcome.

Spoliering doesn't work.

jojojo

JoJoJoJoJoJoJo
Staff
Spoliering doesn't work.
Can you give me some threads/pages/posts where it does it every time for you? As I mention above, I don't see it autorun on my phone in that example I quoted above - did that one autoplay for you? In fact, I'm not currently seeing the problem on my phone at all (and may only have ever seen the problem on my laptop) so I'm interested in playing around with browsers/browser settings.

Dr. Dwayne

Can you give me some threads/pages/posts where it does it every time for you? As I mention above, I don't see it autorun on my phone in that example I quoted above - did that one autoplay for you? In fact, I'm not currently seeing the problem on my phone at all (and may only have ever seen the problem on my laptop) so I'm interested in playing around with browsers/browser settings.
Page 765 of the Coronavirus thread in the CE. @jojojo

All on my laptop, being home I don't browse the caf on my phone as much anymore.

Invictus

Poster of the Year 2015 & 2018
Staff
Supports
Piracy on the High Seas.
Reddit's video player is notoriously intrusive, so I'd just blacklist it with ScriptSafe.

e.g. This is what I'm seeing with that post...
Achtung: ScriptSafe is very thorough in terms of blocking so you'll have to manually add domains to the whitelist.

P.S. If you have time to spare, maybe post on XenForo's community forum, they might have a less rigid solution. Good luck! :)

Skills

Snitch
Reddit's video player is notoriously intrusive, so I'd just blacklist it with ScriptSafe.

e.g. This is what I'm seeing with that post...

Achtung: ScriptSafe is very thorough in terms of blocking so you'll have to manually add domains to the whitelist.
But does it also block it while I'm on reddit?

Invictus

Poster of the Year 2015 & 2018
Staff
Supports
Piracy on the High Seas.
But does it also block it while I'm on reddit?
Yes, but there's an option to temporarily Allow or Trust the site if you do want to watch a video. I'm sorry, it's a bit of work — but it's definitely the most robust media blocker (at least in my experience).

Best wait for @Niall's response if you don't like this solution. Or trawl through Xenforo's community forum for some sort of workaround... https://xenforo.com/community/

Skills

Snitch
Yes, but there's an option to temporarily Allow or Trust the site if you do want to watch a video. I'm sorry, it's a bit of work — but it's definitely the most robust media blocker (at least in my experience).

Best wait for @Niall's response if you don't like this solution. Or trawl through Xenforo's community forum for some sort of workaround... https://xenforo.com/community/
I'll give it a go. It's not that big of a deal for me - it's not in many threads I read and I use my phone most of the time.

nimic

something nice
Scout
My Firefox is set to not allow any auto playing of audio, but for some reason embedded reddit posts with audio on the Caf still manage to do it.

And there doesn't seem to be any rhyme or reason to it. It will just suddenly decide to auto play at some random point while I am reading a thread.

jojojo

JoJoJoJoJoJoJo
Staff
At the moment the only (desktop) browser that I've been able to directly force the "no autoplay of media" on is Edge. But that is a sledgehammer setting, in that it actually sends you off site to play the video. I could switch sound off on Chrome sites though.

Oddly it behaves fine on my phone (in Chrome and in Edge).

I've had a look on the XF2 forum but it does seem like this is a question that gets asked but never gets answeref. Which probably wouldn't be the case if there was a direct solution or a browser fix. I don't know if we can stop the automatic embedding of Reddit posts (so a link stays a link) - that sounds drastic though.

Skills

Snitch
At the moment the only (desktop) browser that I've been able to directly force the "no autoplay of media" on is Edge. But that is a sledgehammer setting, in that it actually sends you off site to play the video. I could switch sound off on Chrome sites though.

Oddly it behaves fine on my phone (in Chrome and in Edge).

I've had a look on the XF2 forum but it does seem like this is a question that gets asked but never gets answeref. Which probably wouldn't be the case if there was a direct solution or a browser fix. I don't know if we can stop the automatic embedding of Reddit posts (so a link stays a link) - that sounds drastic though.
I think it's because phones aren't powerful enough to run the autoplay in the background automatically - or the apps are programmed to not do it, in case it kills your data allowance.

Samid

He's no Bilal Ilyas Jhandir
@Niall is there any way to turn this off?

This page for example. If you scroll all the way to the bottom the reddit video is autoplayed every time it's quoted.

AaronRedDevil

Go into settings, View option and “Autoplay” should be there somewhere. Just click on it and it’ll turn it off. That might help.