Referees need to give TV interviews

RedStarUnited

Yes im hot off the West Ham game and that blatant foul on Lingard with John Moss right behind it.

If not the ref then someone representing them needs to come out and answer questions. Just like when a manager who loses 7-0 still has to face the public, so should refs.

Okey

Yep. I'd love to hear how a Ref watches that from a few yards and doesn't call it. It's becoming indefensible.

Harry190

Bobby ten Hag
They only want to the enjoy the power, not the scrutiny that comes from wielding it. It's an old boy's club.

A-man

I think the refs already experience enough pressure as it is and I believe the most of them actually try their best. Giving explanatory interviews afterwards would hardly improve their decisions.

SirAF

Ageist
Refs should be accountable. Their performances can cost a manager his job, lose a club millions if they are relegated etc. It’s common sense that they should have to face the cameras and explain their actions after a match. From an entertainment POV it would also add to the «spectacle».

DOTA

wants Amber Rudd to call him a naughty boy
Refs should be accountable. Their performances can cost a manager his job, lose a club millions if they are relegated etc. It’s common sense that they should have to face the cameras and explain their actions after a match. From an entertainment POV it would also add to the «spectacle».
I'm not sure how it's common sense but it would add to the spectacle, sure. I think it comes at the cost of worse decision making though.

AnotherLondonManc

I actually thinks refs would get a lot of respect for coming out of their comfort zone to address decisions in a post match interview. If they had a platform to explain their decisions, we the fans could empathise with them more. I don't see this happening though.

What really drives me bonkers is the lack of transparency with VAR. I would love football to adopt a system closer to rugby, where we hear the conversation between the video ref and the on field ref. Why the feck not?! It's like they're deliberately hiding their decision making criteria, or they feel so insecure about their ability as refs that they want to keep their conversations private to avoid scrutiny. Let us hear your thought process!

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
Spot on, officials get to give horrendous performances and answer publicly to no one. Even privately does anyone think anyone is going to ask Moss to explain his decision about that penalty today?

Acquire Me

I like this idea. Disgraceful ref yet again. They are a big part of the game and they should speak up just like managers and players.

DOTA

I'm convinced most of you want this as a form of punishment.

AnotherLondonManc

Not at all. We just want accountability. By the same token, refs can come out and be praised for their brilliant decisions. As I said before, I'd rather they wore a mic. Let us hear your live decision making instead of just leaving us guessing

DOTA

Not at all. We just want accountability. By the same token, refs can come out and be praised for their brilliant decisions. As I said before, I'd rather they wore a mic. Let us hear your live decision making instead of just leaving us guessing
I'm infinitely more convinced by the wisdom of mic wearing than of having them grilled on Sky Sports after games.

Barnslig

What does this achieve?
They don't want to be humiliated or caught lying on live TV, so they would give the foul in the game, so they wouldn't be lynched after the game. Refs needs to suck it up and take some responsibility, they are coasting as is.

Acquire Me

I don’t think most feel that way. When you think a ref was shit or disgraceful, it would actually soften the bad feelings when he had the chance to explain what happened. That’s not punishment at all.

Vidyoyo

The bad "V"
I read earlier on here about Clattenburg, who said sometimes refs do want to come out but the FA don't allow it. I'm assuming part of the reason is to protect referees as individuals, and the other half to protect the organisation from being criticised. But it does seem a bit behind compared to other sports. At the v. least I think the VAR team should be mic'd up for the sake of openness.

Last edited:

Dominos

What does this achieve?
Completely agree it achieves nothing. I said in the Atkinson thread, people just want ref interviews as part of their revenge fantasy, they want refs to be grilled and humiliated as punishment for their shit decisions.

What good would it do anyone if Jon Moss came out and said "I didn't see the shirt pull", or "I didn't think there was enough in it", or "I thought at the time he went down too easy"? Would that solve anything? Is that going to appease the fans, or just wind everyone up even more?

They should be held accountable by being dropped to a lower level for their poor performances and replaced with refs who aren't shit. Jon Moss doing an interview today where he says some generic bullshit like "didn't think there was quite enough contact" is going to do absolutely nothing to help anyone, it's not going to turn back time and give us the pen, and it's not going to stop him being a shit ref in future games. All it does is satisfy the fans' desire to see them publicly ridiculed as revenge for not giving their team a pen.

Barnslig

I read just earlier on here about Clattenburg, who said sometimes refs do want to come out but the FA don't allow it. I'm assuming part of the reason is half to protect referees as individuals, and the other half to protect the organisation from being openly criticised. It does seem a bit behind compared to other sports. At the very least I think the VAR team should be mic'd up.
I hate this protect the refs at all costs bs. They are doing a highly compensated, public job that they've CHOSEN themselves, no one forces them to do anything, and they could all quit and go do something else if they wanted. If they don't possess the backbone to clarify their position on their refereeing, then they can feck right off in my opinion.

Barnslig

Completely agree it achieves nothing. I said in the Atkinson thread, people just want ref interviews as part of their revenge fantasy, they want refs to be grilled and humiliated as punishment for their shit decisions.

What good would it do anyone if Jon Moss came out and said "I didn't see the shirt pull", or "I didn't think there was enough in it", or "I thought at the time he went down too easy"? Would that solve anything? Is that going to appease the fans, or just wind everyone up even more?

They should be held accountable by being dropped to a lower level for their poor performances and replaced with refs who aren't shit. Jon Moss doing an interview today where he says some generic bullshit like "didn't think there was quite enough contact" is going to do absolutely nothing to help anyone, it's not going to turn back time and give us the pen, and it's not going to stop him being a shit ref in future games. All it does is satisfy the fans' desire to see them publicly ridiculed as revenge for not giving their team a pen.

But no ref seemingly ever gets any reprimand? Regardless of how shockingly bad the performance is. It's maybe happened a handful of times in the whole of the PL era? The problem is the refs are t being punished or placed in lower leagues, they are still here week in, week out making shit decisions with no recourse.

Dominos

I don’t think most feel that way. When you think a ref was shit or disgraceful, it would actually soften the bad feelings when he had the chance to explain what happened. That’s not punishment at all.
Do you honestly think Atkinson's smug face being on TV saying "I thought Ronaldo was looking for it" would soften the bad feelings towards him? Really? If a ref has made a bad decision there's nothing he can say to make it better, what they need a time machine so they can go back and get the decision correct.

Dominos

But no ref seemingly ever gets any reprimand? Regardless of how shockingly bad the performance is. It's maybe happened a handful of times in the whole of the PL era? The problem is the refs are t being punished or placed in lower leagues, they are still here week in, week out making shit decisions with no recourse.
Exactly, that's the problem. The lack of interviews is not the problem, or a solution to anything.

The "recourse" people on here seem to want is that they get embarassed in their interviews as punishment for being shit. And that helps absolutely no one as they'll be back to being shit in the next game.

slyadams

I don't get this, I'd love to see refs come out, but they shouldn't have to. When I make a mistake at work I don't have to go on TV to explain it. Frankly, they're not paid enough to have that much spotlight on them. Some of these guys earn £48k a year and you think that's enough to go on TV and be grilled?

Acquire Me

Do you honestly think Atkinson's smug face being on TV saying "I thought Ronaldo was looking for it" would soften the bad feelings towards him? Really? If a ref has made a bad decision there's nothing he can say to make it better, what they need a time machine so they can go back and get the decision correct.
Well, maybe that bastard would not get away with it :lol:

But usually it helps to let people talk it out. At least if it feels honest.

I would respect a ref who said he got a decision wrong or a ref who said he had a bad game. It’s only human to make mistakes.

Barnslig

Exactly, that's the problem. The lack of interviews is not the problem, or a solution to anything.

The "recourse" people on here seem to want is that they get embarassed in their interviews as punishment for being shit. And that helps absolutely no one as they'll be back to being shit in the next game.
I do feel a person like John Moss would learn more from public humiliation than a stern word in private. He seems an absolute tosser.

phenry

Theyll be more reluctant to make those bullshit calls because they'll have to face an interview and explain themselves after.

SER19

Id pay to see moss trying to justify that decision while watching the replay showing his perfect view of it.

Couldn't care less how it sounds, Jon Moss is a Leeds fan and didn't want to give it. Simple

Acquire Me

I don't get this, I'd love to see refs come out, but they shouldn't have to. When I make a mistake at work I don't have to go on TV to explain it. Frankly, they're not paid enough to have that much spotlight on them. Some of these guys earn £48k a year and you think that's enough to go on TV and be grilled?
When you work in a high profile job you would have to do it. That’s for sure.

Dominos

Well, maybe that bastard would not get away with it :lol:

But usually it helps to let people talk it out. At least if it feels honest.

I would respect a ref who said he got a decision wrong or a ref who said he had a bad game. It’s only human to make mistakes.
And what good would it do anyone if a ref came out and said he made an error? He's still cost a team points that can't be undone, and I don't see how it makes them less likely to make mistakes in the future.

DOTA

That's less than I would've guessed. I have thought for a while it's ridiculous that clubs import the world's top talent in players and staff but we're somehow happy to settle for a pool of almost exclusively British referees rather than offering attractive wages to the best officials from around the world.

Dominos

I do feel a person like John Moss would learn more from public humiliation than a stern word in private. He seems an absolute tosser.
I very much doubt if we publicly humiliated refs after every game it would somehow raise the standards of the decisions they were making. They're just useless.

Football has survived fine without refs doing interviews.

It's a horrible job that someone has to do. Of course errors are made but on the whole most decisions are correct.

What I do find unacceptable is VAR being used some competitions and not others.

Acquire Me

And what good would it do anyone if a ref came out and said he made an error? He's still cost a team points that can't be undone, and I don't see how it makes them less likely to make mistakes in the future.
Most of us respect that people do make mistakes. We all do them. If a ref continues to do mistakes and apologise again and again, maybe the FA would have to make changes.

It seems like the refs in England are protected in all ways possible. That’s not a good thing either.

Barnslig

I very much doubt if we publicly humiliated refs after every game it would somehow raise the standards of the decisions they were making. They're just useless.
My point is the refs will want to avoid the humiliation of explaining their shit, or unbelievable decisions, so they might actually give being decent refs a try? Instead of keep being as useful as a wet noodle. If they can't do that, then they are in the wrong line of business anyway and should move on, for the betterment of everyone involved in the sport. There's something seriously wrong with the refs in England, and the quicker we get to the bottom of it, the better.