Refs this season

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
I mean we've had the two worst refs in the league back to back in Moss and Atkinson, that's just unlucky.

Acquire Me

Premier League got a ref issue. That’s for sure. Very low standard at the moment.

Rightnr

Wants players fined for winning away.
Too many old boys in the English refs line-up. They never seem to get young blood.

We talk about competition at our club but they need some as well.

Sylar

And this is a referee that likes to blow rather than play advantage for a breather

Pavl3n

I want to see ref get asked a few question at the end of the game. Explain themselves. I really wanted to ask Athkinson what the hell was he thinking for not even bothering to look at the monitors on Sunday. That pull from Noble on Lingard in front of Moss's eyes - are you kidding me?
There was an international game which Anthony Taylor refereed - there was a clear penalty shout and he made a mess of it. It should've been a penalty.
Dan James's incident vs Newcastle is another one.
The Premier League needs referees. The ones are so full of themselves it's painful to watch. They think they're some sort of untouchable, only touched by God.
The League is suffering.

Coleyoscar

I want to see ref get asked a few question at the end of the game. Explain themselves. I really wanted to ask Athkinson what the hell was he thinking for not even bothering to look at the monitors on Sunday. That pull from Noble on Lingard in front of Moss's eyes - are you kidding me?
There was an international game which Anthony Taylor refereed - there was a clear penalty shout and he made a mess of it. It should've been a penalty.
The Premier League needs referees. The ones are so full of themselves it's painful to watch. They think they're some sort of untouchable, only touched by God.
The League is suffering.
Perfect analysis.

Everyone accepts that mistakes happen but there is a level of incompetence visible in the current crop of professional Premier League referees that's only matched by their arrogance.

To compound things we have to listen to the awful Dermot Gallagher on Sky's 'Ref Watch' using convoluted rationalisations to explain why the decisions are always right.

The excellent refereeing in the Euros seems like a century ago, doesn't it?

ElCuddlos

The problem is that the primary skillset of a football referee is the resilience to take constant abuse from fans, players and managers. Most people with the observational skills, good judgement and concentration to be great referees would rightly not want to spend their working life being harangued by millionaires acting like children.

U.N.C.L.E

With respect, if we’re relying on refs to win games that’s a bigger problem than the quality of the officiating. And yes, I believe we had a clear pen tonight but we should be scoring from open play. The reality is we learned nothing from the weekend game, Moyes came out with exactly the same tactics but this time we couldn’t score. Accept it, move on.

meninred

the first thing i checked was how long martin atkinson is a west ham fan.

Red1968

What was with the odd drop ball at the end of the game which the ref cocked up and then didnt add any extra time for?

Hughie77

Don't question the refs on here not allowed to! The premier league has a lot of poor referees. No VAR in this Cup comp. OK fair enough that means the ref and rest of the officials need to be better. I realy don't know how a ref can miss or deliberately want to not see a pulled shirt or shorts? Anywhere else on the pitch he would give a foul. That's why there is not many British refs in the world cup or Euros. Perhaps this Aussie ref coming into prem is better. M.Dean J Moss, M Atkinson, C Pawson all those are to be kind not the best.

Strelok

Not just us I think. The other day I watched the City vs Sou match and tbh I couldn't understand why Sou was not given a pen when Walker brought down Armstrong. He went from behind and didn't even touch the ball.

Champ

Refuses to acknowledge existence of Ukraine
Not just us I think. The other day I watched the City vs Sou match and tbh I couldn't understand why Sou was not given a pen when Walker brought down Armstrong. He went from behind and didn't even touch the ball.
That was just a bizarre decision.
Stonewall penalty and red, and to think the ref actually changed his original decision. Pure madness.

Red_Aaron

I thought before the game that Moss plus no VAR was a disater waiting to happen. He's not fit enough to keep up with the play. I'm sure I pointed it out last year but he referees the whole game from the middle third of the pitch to save him the running. Having said all that he had a great view of the penalty but chose to ignore it you can't help but feel that the red shirt Jesse was wearing affected his judgement

NinjaZombie

Punched the air when Liverpool beat City
I don't think there is anyone that is convinced that fat feck Moss can keep up with modern athletes in a football game, let alone make correct decisions while he's gassed.

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
They are full of mistakes week in week out. Why haven't we hear the same during the Euro? It shows the incompetence of the current PL referee.

JoaquinJoaquin

We do seem to be getting a bit of a raw deal this season from refs, and that is without Klopp influencing them.

The Corinthian

I will not take Mad Winger's name in vain
We should have had two last night.

The Noble pulling down Lingard incident. And then Areola totally missed his punch on a corner, and wiped out Bailly. Nothing given.

Couldn't believe it.

RUCK4444

Fecking awful refs that are too old, unfit and not sharp enough for this league, well off it. The demonstration of VAR at the Euro's showed our bunch up for the clowns they are.

Now they've been asked to speed up decisions and that's enough to allow them to turn down stone wall penalties, not just for us either. When you have an inept person and ask them to rush there's only one outcome, an even worse performance.

This little mates club of refs we've had in this country for the past decade or more needs clearing out from top to bottom. There will be young, fit refs across the globe keen to come to the PL and ref the best league in the world, why are we even in this position? I'm assuming it's because there is no comeback for awful decisions they make, in any normal job if your shite you get replaced, that doesn't happen with refs.

sparx99

Why don’t they offer lower league footballers £100-200k a year to referee? Apparently refs make about £70k a year. Incentivise it and get more competition.

Those guys would be retiring at 35 and have played the game to a decent standard.

sparx99

It does seem to be either incompetence or purely bias this season though. The Ronaldo pens at the weekend not even being looked at is outrageous.

And I have no idea why VAR isn’t present in the League cup. There is more than enough money in the game to put the tech in all the grounds it’s needed.

McTerminator

The League is suffering.
There was no VAR so no monitors yesterday. As a result West Ham went full sh**house mode.

In response Matic role played Rambo (which I loved!)

VivaUnited21

Atrocious! Seems like the refs are set out against us. Yeah people moaning at us getting penalties all the time (last season) but we wouldn't get those penalties if dumbass oppo defendera didn't hack us down, and they only do that cause they are scared of us.

Now the refs are not giving us anything, so our attackers are gonna get battered all season and not get any justice.. what's the point in having a ref anymore, and VAR is a fecking joke.

acrebo

What was with the odd drop ball at the end of the game which the ref cocked up and then didnt add any extra time for?
Probably the thing that pissed me off most, apart from the penalty call.

The ball was probably in play for less than 2 of the 4 minutes, then he blows up literally at the 4 minute point. The entire last minute was just lost time, due to West Ham not playing the uncontested drop ball so Bruno, quite rightly, made a point.