Refs & VAR 2020/2021 Discussion

Snow

Somewhere down the lane, a licky boom boom down
Rules are one thing but they’ve been correctly applied and it’s a non issue in that regard.
That's not what I was asking the other poster. He said he's fine with the rule as long as it's consistent so I asked him if he's fine with stupid rules.

Red_toad

Rules are one thing but they’ve been correctly applied and it’s a non issue in that regard.
We’ll have to see if the ‘rules’ are applied consistently over the season. Infuriating when you watch rivals getting away with exactly the same thing a week later.

Heinzesight

How far was he off his line? How could they tell. Looked close. And weren’t the palace players encroaching for the second pen?

Berbasbullet

Too Boring For A Funny Tagline
I actually can’t believe that decision, how much play had gone on for both of them? They both got called back miles after it happened!

Berbaclass

Fallen Muppet. Lest we never forget
How far was he off his line? How could they tell. Looked close. And weren’t the palace players encroaching for the second pen?
Don't think it matters if the penalty is scored. Only if one of the encroaching players then has an effect. Might be wrong though...

witchtrials

Still hate VAR. And hope we aren't going to start seeing more of this idiotic ref-goes-to-the-monitor theatre making it even worse.

Last edited:

prateik

You've got no problems with dumb as shit rules?
Which rule? The one about keepers not being allowed to step out of their line before the pen is taken?
No, I dont have an issue with that. It makes perfect sense.

Devil77

Still hate VAR. And hope we aren't going to start seeing more of this idiotic ref goes to the monitor theatre making it even worse.
Can’t agree more. VAR sucks the life out of football. So what if the ref misses some fauls. I hate it when a chance is gone and then all of a sudden there’s a f...ing VAR review taking forever.

RedSky

Shepherd’s Delight
Scout
You'd think they'd have attempted to make VAR better this season after the ridiculous decisions last season. Yet here we are... even more absurd. Moss and Atkinson should be thrown under the bus for that shite.

Good luck trying to enforce the goalkeeper penalty rule all season. Wankers.

Devil77

Which rule? The one about keepers not being allowed to step out of their line before the pen is taken?
No, I dont have an issue with that. It makes perfect sense.
The problem is when rules are enforced using inches. If you need 3 angles, slow motion and 25 replays to find out if there is a foul then something is clearly wrong! VAR is killing football.

UncleBob

So in an effort to stop goalkeepers being miles off his line, with the ref too incompetent to spot it, they're now retaking penalties when the goalkeeper is millimeters off his line. Mint.

Thanks to an Arsenal volleyball goal a few years ago, where the ball was knocked into the hand of an Arsenal player and then into goal, they introduced a simple handball rule that's turned out to be utter wank because players can get fouled, brush the ball with their hand on the way down, and then have it ruled off as handball if it's a goal afterwards.

It's just pure incompetence

Marcus

OK let's do this properly. Our strikers should be trained to shoot at opponents defender's arms if they are in the the way of the goal.

dev1l

Btw the "expert" VAR ref today was a certain Jon Moss - known for being a "fitness freak"

TrustInOle

Replayable technology and we still end up with Amateur refereeing. Everything about that penalty was disgraceful. Do they expect payers to sprint/ run with their hands by there sides? Doesn't surprise me that it is Atkinson though, slime ball.

OnlyTwoDaSilvas

Gullible
Penalty was harsh, it looked like it caught his arm as it was making the motion you'd expect it to whilst running, and from close range. There was no deliberate action to stop the ball or to make himself a bigger obstacle using his arms. He was simply running. Poor. I'd feel we were incredibly flukey if we got the same decision in our favour.

But the call to retake the penalty was even worse. I've seen so many keepers have both feet way off the line by the time a penalty is taken which results in a save, and hardly ever seen it have to be retaken. It's pretty much never called. There has to be consistency there, but there never will be. To rule out a saved penalty is incredibly harsh. I'm sure within the next few weeks we will see a saved penalty under similar circumstances and it won't be called the same way.

Can't find a better image of it yet, but it looks like he has one foot still on the line. I thought that was allowed?

Definitely seen way worse than that. Tim Krul in particular has a rep of being a good penalty stopper, usually because he's got both feet about a metre off his line.

Berbaclass

Penalty was harsh, it looked like it caught his arm as it was making the motion you'd expect it to whilst running, and from close range. There was no deliberate action to stop the ball or to make himself a bigger obstacle using his arms. He was simply running. Poor. I'd feel we were incredibly flukey if we got the same decision in our favour.

But the call to retake the penalty was even worse. I've seen so many keepers have both feet way off the line by the time a penalty is taken which results in a save, and hardly ever seen it have to be retaken. It's pretty much never called. There has to be consistency there, but there never will be. To rule out a saved penalty is incredibly harsh. I'm sure within the next few weeks we will see a saved penalty under similar circumstances and it won't be called the same way.

Can't find a better image of it yet, but it looks like he has one foot still on the line. I thought that was allowed?

Definitely seen way worse than that. Tim Krul in particular has a rep of being a good penalty stopper, usually because he's got both feet about a metre off his line.
The behind the goal angle shows it very clearly. That angle is deceptive.

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
Who wants to bet that GK encroaching to that minute level will be enforced for the rest of the season? Cos it feckin won't

Strats

Jesus Christ, stop being such hypocrites. Lindelofs handball was in the same mould as kimpembe's handball in our CL- game against PSG. We deserved to lose today.

Cpt Negative

Jesus Christ, stop being such hypocrites. Lindelofs handball was in the same mould as kimpembe's handball in our CL- game against PSG. We deserved to lose today.
No, it really wasn’t. He jumped and made the shape of his body bigger. Lindelof was just running.

Berbaclass

Arguably worse IMO as Kimbempe's hand was closer to his body. Lindelof's arm was at shoulder height and away from his body. No excuses.

Strats

No, it really wasn’t. He jumped and made the shape of his body bigger. Lindelof was just running.
Victor was not just running. His arm blocked the shot(even if it was on a trajectory to Mars) with his arm. Are you blind?

kiristao

The difference is how far the strike was from and also it's possible to jump to block a strike without lifting your hand. It's virtually impossible to run next to a striker with arms next to your sides like a penguin.
If Lindelofs arm is not a text book example of being in a 'natural' position I don't know what is.

The Irish Connection

thought it was a penalty, I said it as soon as the shot was taken. he took a shot that was on target and lindelof blocked it with an outstretched arm.
we wouldn't have won against PSG for a very similar call.

kiristao

Victor was not just running. His arm blocked the shot(even if it was on a trajectory to Mars) with his arm. Are you blind?
Are you telling me that when you watch it at actual speed you think Lindelof moved his arm intentionally into a position to make himself bigger to block the shot?
No one, including the striker, didn't think the ball would go that high. Why would Lindelof put his hand up there?

Berbaclass

The difference is how far the strike was from and also it's possible to jump to block a strike without lifting your hand. It's virtually impossible to run next to a striker with arms next to your sides like a penguin.
If Lindelofs arm is not a text book example of being in a 'natural' position I don't know what is.
His hand was at shoulder height outstretched away from his body.

I get people are upset with the result and want something to blame etc. but it's a penalty under the current laws. If people take issue with that then fine. Until they change the correct decision was made today.

kiristao

His hand was at shoulder height outstretched away from his body.

I get people are upset with the result and want something to blame etc. but it's a penalty under the current laws. If people take issue with that then fine. Until they change the correct decision was made today.
We lost because we were poor. Nothing to do with the penalty. My issue is with the rule. How someone can actually see that to be an unfair movement of the arm that needs to be penalized is beyond me.
Watch his arm leading up to the goal. It continuosly is moving up and down in the exact same manner as it does when the ball hits his arm because that is how one runs when you are trying to move quickly.

Berbasbullet

thought it was a penalty, I said it as soon as the shot was taken. he took a shot that was on target and lindelof blocked it with an outstretched arm.
we wouldn't have won against PSG for a very similar call.
Except the PSG one travelled about a billion light years before it hit an out stretched arm?

Berbasbullet

Has there been any other pen saves since the restart? Curious to see if they were an inch off the line?

Alejandro Angel

It's the rules we should discuss not the referee today.
Not really they have changed the rules for Handballs but that was still the same subject to the previous rules, the clarification was with regard to the part of the body that is a handball ie below the shoulder to the hand. And then with regard to attacking players handling the ball before a goal. The rules are the same with regard to whether they thought it was a handball to gain advantage which it clearly was not as the ball is struck at speed and he is running back. Souness did not obviously read the rules. Along with John Moss and atkinson

Santoryo

ripping the reward
Want to explain why one hand is waving in the air and the other is by his side then?

Because that how naturally hands move when someone is running. The other hand isn't by his side but rather waved backward while his right arm flung forward because he is in a running motion.

I'm not going to discuss the rule and merit of this penalty(The rule about handball have been somehow made strict, black and white for some reasons, ball touches the hand it's a penalty. Stupid rule but it is what it is) but I'm going to argue against anyone pretending that Lindelof motion wasn't natural.