Refs & VAR 2020/2021 Discussion

Berbasbullet

Too Boring For A Funny Tagline
it was struck harder and the defender had his back turned, very similar for me. it's funny cos lindelof usually defends with his arms behind his back.
Except when you’re running full pelt it’d be a little redundant to have your arms behind your back.

Berbaclass

Fallen Muppet. Lest we never forget
Because that how naturally hands move when someone is running. The other hand isn't by his side but rather waved backward while his right arm flung forward because he is in a running motion.

I'm not going to discuss the rule and merit of this penalty(The rule about handball have been somehow made strict, black and white for some reasons, ball touches the hand it's a penalty. Stupid rule but it is what it is) but I'm going to argue against anyone pretending that Lindelof motion wasn't natural.
More like swimming :lol:

Giggs' right foot

Can you just scoop the ball up to someone's hand now?
Yes. Exactly how Liverpool got their pen in the CL final. Sissoko was pointing to tell a teammate where to focus, and Mané (I think) just - as you propose - scooped the ball onto the arm.

kiristao

Want to explain why one hand is waving in the air and the other is by his side then?

Is Ayew also trying to block the shot? Why is his hand is literally the same position as Lindelof unless that's how your hand naturally moves?

Snow

Somewhere down the lane, a licky boom boom down
Which rule? The one about keepers not being allowed to step out of their line before the pen is taken?
No, I dont have an issue with that. It makes perfect sense.
Keepers can't dive without taking a step. The reason why the step is made is so they can get the power to dive to the side. The rule goes against every instinct that keepers have had drilled into them since they were kids. What's next? No run ups for penalties?

Cpt Negative

Want to explain why one hand is waving in the air and the other is by his side then?

because he’s running backwards. Generally, when you run, one arm goes up whilst the other goes down, then up and down, up and down.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
It was never a pen. I hate lindelof but to give that as a pen is just ludicrous.

I doubt the shot would even reach the goal

Now compare that to Gabriel at Arsenal just now! they didnt even give that :lol: ridiculous

kiristao

it was struck harder and the defender had his back turned, very similar for me. it's funny cos lindelof usually defends with his arms behind his back.
It's possible to defend like that when you are facing the ball which is what Lindelof does. Much harder when you are running full spend constantly moving directions to match the striker.

ha_rooney

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
Neither was a pen but if you give the first based on the new rules, then that is a penalty too. fecking useless.

Fluctuation0161

Jesus Christ, stop being such hypocrites. Lindelofs handball was in the same mould as kimpembe's handball in our CL- game against PSG. We deserved to lose today.
The penalty decision was a joke, both of them. Yes, we deserved to lose. But that penalty happened at a critical moment in the game. Terrible decisions.

Berbaclass

because he’s running backwards. Generally, when you run, one arm goes up whilst the other goes down, then up and down, up and down.
That's not the motion his arm is making its more of an overarm movement, almost like he's swimming. When you sprint it looks completely different to that.

Champ

Refuses to acknowledge existence of Ukraine
Wow, the inconsistency in decisions between Gabriel and Lindlelof is alarming.

Champ

It was never a pen. I hate lindelof but to give that as a pen is just ludicrous.

I doubt the shot would even reach the goal

Now compare that to Gabriel at Arsenal just now! they didnt even give that :lol: ridiculous
It was going a fecking mile wide.
Atrocious decision, the Gabriel one just now is more of a hand ball yet not given...

izec

It wasn't a clear pen, otherwise Atkinson wouldn't go to look for it and VAR would give it immediately. The inconsistency will be there, VAR or no VAR. Same with the pen retake. Some refs won't give it and others will. There was always inconsistency and there always will be with humans as refs, no matetr the rules, since some don't apply them the same and judge subjectively.

Champ

Was just going to post this, and glad the commentators mentioned it too. When VAR is involved, it's hard to understand such obvious inconsistency.
Yup, it was meant to take the obvious wrongs decisions out of the equation, all it's done is highlight then even more!!
Zero inconsistency, zero confidence in the system.

Anustart89

The penalty roll-back was so ridiculous that we're not even mentioning how Rashford was straight up elbowed in the head with Atkinson not even thinking it was a foul. I mean, if you can't apply the simplest rule in the book, ie that elbowing someone in the head isn't allowed, then what hope is there for you in terms of any other decision?

How do you expect those guys to understand and apply something as complex as a handball rule and understand that you can't rake someone's achilles with your studs to the point that you take their shoe off?

They're all just shit and make it up as they go along. Now they're all onto the "United got a lot of pens" agenda and are trying to make up for it, because when United get decisions it's a national talking point but when United get shafted nobody bats an eyelid.

Berbaclass

For people that think the re-take was the wrong decision. This angle clearly shows otherwise...

Strats

The penalty decision was a joke, both of them. Yes, we deserved to lose. But that penalty happened at a critical moment in the game. Terrible decisions.
No t wasnt, mate. He blocked the shot with his arm. That is enough for someone like Atkinson to give a penalty

Nickelodeon

Just aim towards the opponents hands. That should be the default tactic now. Not even 2 yards out, hit straight at his hand, not going anywhere near the goal, nothing the player could do, arm not in an unnatural position but still a penalty. I’m sure the rule makers have forgotten what the rules are for. Was that genuinely an illegal effort to stop an offensive action?

Berbasbullet

Too Boring For A Funny Tagline
For people that think the re-take was the wrong decision. This angle clearly shows otherwise...

What are you on about? I bet almost every single penalty taken in the last year will have the keeper in highly similar positions.

Berbaclass

What are you on about? I bet almost every single penalty taken in the last year will have the keeper in highly similar positions.
I'm talking about DDG being clearly stood off his line.

What happened last year is irrelevant to me saying it's the right decision today.

Santoryo

ripping the reward
Thats not the motion you make when running.
In the meantime I invite you to watch Gabrielle handball with no penalty given. Not going to discuss this natural motion any further with you since we'll never agree.