Refs & VAR 2020/2021 Discussion

limerickcitykid

There once was a kid from Toronto...
Breakdown of offside calls and how they would be impacted by the Dutch margin of error.

I reckon a lot of the ones that fall outside that MOE would still garner complaints.
“Only goal allowed would be ruled out on umpires call” should be proof enough that it is a stupid concept.

MikeeMike

I meant the twitter thread.

I think goal line technology is a different thing altogether and there's no issue there obviously.

It's the spirit of the offside law that isn't being served by the current laws.
Ok, to stand my ground but knowing i sound argumentative. You have introduced another “fuzzy” statement.
So far we have, in the whole VAR offside debate:
Common sense should be applied
Margin of error should be used
Spirit of offside not served

All of which deflect from the reality that VAR is 100% correcting clear calls that officials sometimes got badly wrong.
Even if you said there had to be 50cm clear daylight to give offside then 50.01cm would simply give the same issue.

Withnail

Ok, to stand my ground but knowing i sound argumentative. You have introduced another “fuzzy” statement.
So far we have, in the whole VAR offside debate:
Common sense should be applied
Margin of error should be used
Spirit of offside not served

All of which deflect from the reality that VAR is 100% correcting clear calls that officials sometimes got badly wrong.
Even if you said there had to be 50cm clear daylight to give offside then 50.01cm would simply give the same issue.
The spirit of the rule is something I've heard a lot and I haven't just introduced it.

My argument around off-side isn't really a VAR issue though. I don't really have an issue with VAR. I do think the laws around off-side need improving/reviewing with the advent of VAR.

limerickcitykid

There once was a kid from Toronto...
I can't make sense of that sentence
It’s saying that VAR showed the player as onside but it was within 10cm so it stayed with the on field call which was offside.

So you’d be ruling out goals which with evidence is onside. That alone should put to bed that stupid idea.

It makes no sense anyway, there is zero benefit to it. On close calls you can go with the infinitely more accurate VAR or go with the incredibly inaccurate guesses of linesmen. There is only one logical answer.

Anybody's Guess

How braindead can a person be? Everyone knows you can't do that, yet here we have exhibit fecking A: a professional stupid person.

cyberman

Shows why you need VAR. Ref had every chance to make the correct decision there

El Zoido

Machines aren’t making the decisions, it’s still a matter of interpretation.

RepardReece

Should easily be a red card but fed up of these players play acting like they're dying, Fred barely touched him. Send cnuts off that decide they want to dive, fed up of whimpering in a game of football.

UnrelatedPsuedo

I pity the poor fool who stinks like I do!
Anyone campaigning for a red card for that incident is part of what’s going wrong in football.

OleBoiii

It's a red card according to the rules, so we got lucky in that sense.

But I don't agree with the rules. With VAR it should be possible to see the difference between a violent headbutt and... whatever the hell that was :lol:

SER19

Reckon if the guy just holds his face and maybe crouches down, a red is given. It shouldn't be the case but can't help but feel refs disgust at the response has influenced him here. Id want a red if other way around of course

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
Anyone campaigning for a red card for that incident is part of what’s going wrong in football.
We're not campaigning for a red but nonetheless, that kind of incident consistently results in red cards, for pretty much as long as I can remember. It's odd that it hasn't here when it has in the past and will in the future. If that happened to us we would be livid.

cyberman

Can VAR check Freds tackle for a second yellow if it could lead to a red?

JJ12

Predicted Portugal, Italy to win Euro 2016, 2020
Why did Paredes confront Fred in the first place

Ralaks

Paredes is a massive twat and it is a victory for football whenever bullshit like he is pulling constantly isnt being rewarded. Same blood as that Lamela

Pink Moon

Supports
Celtic
I've always felt it's stupid when they give those red cards for those head motions when there's barely any contact but ultimately it's deemed violent conduct and an automatic red card. I can only assume the ref, by virtue of barely looking at the monitor, has made a mistake.

Although given the later Fred incident it's possible he's just a really big Fred fan :lol:

Although worth nothing none of this would've happened if Bruno, king of the playacters, hadn't went down clutching his face at the slightest of contacts. The game would've still been going on and we wouldn't have this BS controversy to talk about.

Rajma

Fantastic use of VAR from the ref, got everything spot on. Sick of these diving cnuts in the form of Paredes and Lamela.

Idxomer

This should be a step forward to stop players from overacting after incidents like these.

Amadaeus

Pochémon Fan Club Chairman
Var has become Ole cheats code along with Bruno. I recalled stats showing that United benefited from it the most last season. I won't be surprised if we are number 1 again this season. Clear red card today for Fred. Never seen a yellow given for that before.

Dan_F

100% a red card nowadays.

On a separate note, I’ve never understood why petulant things like that are treated the same as if he actually went up and nutted him properly. It’s not really violent conduct pushing your head forward like that is it.

It’s literally the same as pushing someone, expect we’ve decided one move is a red and one is barely a yellow most of the time.

Absolutely, and football is so much worse for it.
VAR has just made it even worse on these kind of incidents.
People want to see 11 v 11 and pay good money for it, for it to be 11 v 10 so often for “nothing” moments ruins the game for me, so fair play to this ref for calling it with common sense.

fergieisold

I

On a separate note, I’ve never understood why petulant things like that are treated the same as if he actually went up and nutted him properly. It’s not really violent conduct pushing your head forward like that is it.

It’s literally the same as pushing someone, expect we’ve decided one move is a red and one is barely a yellow most of the time.
Yeh it’s a red by the book but it shouldn’t be, it’s nothing. It’s like a push and a shove

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
Var has become Ole cheats code along with Bruno. I recalled stats showing that United benefited from it the most last season. I won't be surprised if we are number 1 again this season. Clear red card today for Fred. Never seen a yellow given for that before.
Nah, in terms of actual overturns for/against we're 7th in the PL so far this season, with a net +1 in our favour. You have to bear in mind the ones that went against us too, like the Lindelof handball, a retaken penalty and a couple of disallowed goals.

TommiHelm

What rule makes it a red exactly? The "other referees would give it, so it should be given" rule? The rule is that it has to be "violent intent", that's up to the referee to judge. And looking at it about 300 times in replay now I don't see any "violent intent" in that from Fred. Paredes makes a total meal of it, and the referee sees that and uses his brain, as he should.

Amadaeus

Pochémon Fan Club Chairman
Nah, in terms of actual overturns for/against we're 7th in the PL so far this season, with a net +1 in our favour. You have to bear in mind the ones that went against us too, like the Lindelof handball, a retaken penalty and a couple of disallowed goals.
Still a long time for that to change. 7th is still high up there in rank. Not actually, a bad thing. A lucky manager gives us better hope to win trophies

Pink Moon

Supports
Celtic
They need to introduce a rule where if it results in a red card that it's reviewable even if it's a second yellow. Fred is sent off through a clear and obvious error by the referee but because it was a second yellow we just ignore it? Stupid.

Zen

So why exactly isn't VAR used there then? A completely incorrect decision known within seconds by the screens?

Well and truly agree with the Milner stuff that came out recently, I literally switch on for a bit, and some absurdity that comes down to VAR makes me wonder I why bother anymore. In a baffling way, if VAR wasn't used in general.... it wouldn't bother me, they either want human error or they don't?

I never know when to celebrate a goal anymore.... so I don't watch much.