Refs & VAR 2020/2021 Discussion

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
Would love to see their second goal, looked well offside to me
Yeah, I think in the PL he might well have been offside... But you know what? I actually don't care. If that's the margins, it's a goal and I have zero complaints.

arnie_ni

Yeah, I think in the PL he might well have been offside... But you know what? I actually don't care. If that's the margins, it's a goal and I have zero complaints.
Did bt sport draw the lines after? Didn't watch after the third goal

MikeeMike

It’s saying that VAR showed the player as onside but it was within 10cm so it stayed with the on field call which was offside.

So you’d be ruling out goals which with evidence is onside. That alone should put to bed that stupid idea.

It makes no sense anyway, there is zero benefit to it. On close calls you can go with the infinitely more accurate VAR or go with the incredibly inaccurate guesses of linesmen. There is only one logical answer.
Agreed. Why can this be so hard to accept a way more accurate system that before?

Annihilate Now!

Scout
Keep reading comments (elsewhere) that the ball was "definitely out"... How the feck can anyone know that for sure?

The linesman was the man in the best position to know if it did or not.

Anustart89

Keep reading comments (elsewhere) that the ball was "definitely out"... How the feck can anyone know that for sure?

The linesman was the man in the best position to know if it did or not.
Nobody can know since there's no camera angle to prove it, but it's likely that it was out based on the bend on the ball and how close it was to the line when Bruno received it.

Think the linesman switched off or was watching the offside line. But yeah, saying that it was "definitely" out is bollocks.

OneUnited24

Personally i think the ball went out but Moyes says the linesman didnt see it so they can't make a decision - especially when VAR had no good camera angle.

I think next season we will start seeing hawkeye for throw ins.

Carl

has permanently erect nipples
I love love love absolutely buthurt stuff like this

Absolutely amazing. Love it.

limerickcitykid

There once was a kid from Toronto...
I love love love absolutely buthurt stuff like this

Absolutely amazing. Love it.
I love when people lack a basic understanding of 3D imagery :lol:

It’s like the time that pundit, unfortunately I forget who, was bitching about an offside and claimed he lined up a piece of paper against his computer screen as if that meant anything and was more accurate than actual engineered 3D imagery.

BootsyCollins

Leeds got robbed from the exact same pen Welbeck got just because the Leeds player stayed on his feet. Should not one point of VAR beeing that players dont have to go down easily because VAR sees the foul anyway?

Shane88

Actually Nostradamus
Refs are basically acting judges.

If you scream, go down and finish by rolling around, you'll will impress them and get the decision

duffer

Sensible and not a complete jerk like most oppo's
Scout
Leeds got robbed from the exact same pen Welbeck got just because the Leeds player stayed on his feet. Should not one point of VAR beeing that players dont have to go down easily because VAR sees the foul anyway?
There was no foul. Chilwell certainly made contact with him but that's not necessarily a foul.

He carried on his run and had a clear shot at goal that he hit straight at the goalie.

If he had dived he probably would've got a pen but he's not a cheat so that's all good.

BootsyCollins

There was no foul. Chilwell certainly made contact with him but that's not necessarily a foul.

He carried on his run and had a clear shot at goal that he hit straight at the goalie.

If he had dived he probably would've got a pen but he's not a cheat so that's all good.
It was the same as Welbeck got a pen for no?
And thats kinda my point, Welbeck got it because he layed down and the Leeds player did not because he stayed on his feet. I think he rather would have got the pen than the shot he took, but now this shows that even with VAR you need to go down to get the foul. Thats not good right? (Im not claiming if their actually were pens or not, just that the difference i see is that one stayed up and did not get it and one layed down and got it. Even with VAR)

duffer

Scout
It was the same as Welbeck got a pen for no?
And thats kinda my point, Welbeck got it because he layed down and the Leeds player did not because he stayed on his feet. I think he rather would have got the pen than the shot he took, but now this shows that even with VAR you need to go down to get the foul. Thats not good right? (Im not claiming if their actually were pens or not, just that the difference i see is that one stayed up and did not get it and one layed down and got it. Even with VAR)
I'm going to have to pull a Wenger here but I didn't see that.

Divers* get pens all the time, refs are shit and players cheat.

*including many, many Chelsea players over the years.

MikeKing

Supports
Bournemouth

Next time he will be diving and will get a penalty for it. You got away with one today. If VAR team wasn't as inconsistent as the referees it would be a very different game. Befuddled VAR didn't let the ref have a second look. If Chelsea player hadn't fouled him, he wouldn't have lost his balance and wouldn't have to run out of the area to chase the ball. He probably would have had a shot from a better angle inside the box if it weren't for the missed attempt from Chilwell.

Carl

has permanently erect nipples
Players that stay on their feet are idiots. Its actually incredibly shit footballing intelligence. Now more than ever.

MikeKing

Supports
Bournemouth
Players that stay on their feet are idiots. Its actually incredibly shit footballing intelligence. Now more than ever.
They just gave up on punishing diving. I remember attacking the goalkeeper was allowed for a couple of games, but that is back to being punished. Then a thing that never gets punished anymore is kicking the ball away, often with the cynical foul right before..that is just a part of every game now.

arnie_ni

Exactly. Managers should be encouraging players to go down under contact especially in the box. It should be apart of a gameplan like tactical fouling.

duffer

Scout
They just gave up on punishing diving. I remember attacking the goalkeeper was allowed for a couple of games, but that is back to being punished. Then a thing that never gets punished anymore is kicking the ball away, that is just allowed now. Everyone does it every game.
That drives me mad. You're absolutely right in that refs don't seem to care at all anymore.

MikeeMike

Moyes quoted as saying the ball went over his head. Much like most of his career.

Dorkstorm

Supports
Liverpool
I'm with you on that one. I saw it happen, Immediately thought they would pull it back for a pen, but the game just went on. It shouldn't matter if someone stays on his feet and gets an awkward / bad shot away. But that will be the counter argument. "He stayed on his feel so no pen"

I don't think either should have been a pen..... Unless it was a call in favor of the team I support, or a call against a rival (which is where the crux of the issue lies.)

Withnail

Refs are basically acting judges.

If you scream, go down and finish by rolling around, you'll will impress them and get the decision
A lot of soft ones lately.

Sterling's was an absolute joke. They should be able to tell by looking at the replay that he just jumped on the ground himself.

FireballXL5

If anything I would have booked the Southampton player for playacting. Rubbish decision.

klayton88

How was this not a red? How can you send Xhaka for grabbing the throat but Elneny literally looked right at a guy and punched him. Ref goes to monitor and says nah, totally not worth a red. So inconsistency. How do they expect fans to get behind the inconsistency. Refs should have to come out post game and explain decisions. Far too protected.

The Oracle

How was this not a red? How can you send Xhaka for grabbing the throat but Elneny literally looked right at a guy and punched him. Ref goes to monitor and says nah, totally not worth a red. So inconsistency. How do they expect fans to get behind the inconsistency. Refs should have to come out post game and explain decisions. Far too protected.
It was a red card every day of the week.

VAR is good for a factual decision, such as an offside call - you are either offside or you are not

What VAR cannot do, is change the mindset of referee's.

For example, these are typical mindsets of referee's throughout the 90 minutes:
- It's too early in the game to give a yellow card (usually first 10 minutes)
- I've awarded a free-kick and the team has scored. I've now reviewed the footage at half-time and I've now seen that it should not have been a free-kick. I will try and make amends by being more lenient in the 2nd half with the team that my wrongful decision affected. I will undoubtedly award the affected team dubious free-kicks to try and make up for my error
- I've sent off a big team's player at their home ground, there is no way I am sending off 2 players from the big team in the same match**

**That's the reason I believe Elneny remained on the pitch.

UncleBob

Elneny on Tarkowski video

I honestly have no idea whatsoever how Graham Scott goes over to the monitor and reckons that's a yellow card.

Compare it to what Martial got sent off for against Tottenham, christ.

Mb194dc

Supports
Chelsea
Not a penalty my a**

Made worse by a non penalty for Liverpool at the other end.

In the wall not using arms to make body bigger, arms not above his head, definitely not intentional. Should be reviewed on VAR and cance, it's a clear mistake.

I would complain but it's just how the Premier league is officiated and its nothing new.

Annihilate Now!

Scout
Made worse by a non penalty for Liverpool at the other end.

In the wall not using arms to make body bigger, arms not above his head, definitely not intentional. Should be reviewed on VAR and cance, it's a clear mistake.

I would complain but it's just how the Premier league is officiated and its nothing new.
It hit Kamara's elbow which was away from his body... Under the new rules its a 100% penalty

Fulham's was also a penalty but they scored anyway 5 minutes later so it worked out in the end... Plus they'd have probably missed it anyway!!

Berbasbullet

Too Boring For A Funny Tagline
Not a penalty my a**

That slow mo is damning, and you’d argue the kind of decision VAR is there to make, absolute failure, at first I thought it was a cracking tackle but he knocks the other players foot out the way first on the way to winning the ball, which you can even see the way it unbalances the Fulham player.

Absolute blatant pen, and the handball might be technically correct it’s still a little frustrating .

Mb194dc

Supports
Chelsea
It hit Kamara's elbow which was away from his body... Under the new rules its a 100% penalty

Fulham's was also a penalty but they scored anyway 5 minutes later so it worked out in the end... Plus they'd have probably missed it anyway!!
That is not away from his body and he's not making himself bigger. The ball hits him in the chest if not his arm. His chest isn't the main part of his body now?

Its 100% not a penalty under the new rules.

"Equally, a player is not deemed to have committed an offence if he/she handles the ball and “the hand/arm is close to the body and does not make the body unnaturally bigger”."

Annihilate Now!

Scout
That is not away from his body and he's not making himself bigger. The ball hits him in the chest if not his arm. His chest isn't the main part of his body now?

Its 100% not a penalty under the new rules.

"Equally, a player is not deemed to have committed an offence if he/she handles the ball and “the hand/arm is close to the body and does not make the body unnaturally bigger”."
Kamara is the guy on the left... With his back turned and arm out. It hits him before it hits the guy on the right.

If it had only hit the guy on the right it's definitely not a penalty, but it hit both of them

Steve Bruce

Kamara is the guy on the left... With his back turned and arm out. It hits him before it hits the guy on the right.

If it had only hit the guy on the right it's definitely not a penalty, but it hit both of them
That's correct. I also think if you jump & turn your back to the ball you have lost control & if it hits your arm it's a hand ball. There's absolutely no reason to turn your back.