Refs & VAR 2020/2021 Discussion

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
CLASSIC VAR feckery there. Minor irritation without VAR. Referees are human after all. Incandescent rage with VAR.

The stupid fecking poxy load of shite has ruined goal celebrations in return for supposedly getting rid of obvious unfair decisions like that. It really is ruining the game.

Zlatan 7

We've got bush!
I think the ref blew the whistle before the goal didn’t he? Not sure mind. So VAR can’t look at it then anyway

Zlatan 7

We've got bush!
CLASSIC VAR feckery there. Minor irritation without VAR. Referees are human after all. Incandescent rage with VAR.

The stupid fecking poxy load of shite has ruined goal celebrations in return for supposedly getting rid of obvious unfair decisions like that. It really is ruining the game.
Agree again. fecking football in the ass

Stactix

Felt degea was shoved with some force.. foul anywhere else on the pitch.

Nothing in Maguires challenge.

Feel VAR depends on if the person behind it doesn't want to go against the refs decision.

Bubz27

No I won’t change your tag line
Possible Fred pen..
Maguire disallowed v Burnley.
Martial disallowed v Sheffield United.

All since Klopp had his say about refs and us.

NinjaFletch

That's the thing isn't it.

Applying 'clear and obvious' to isolated incidents is maddeningly stupid. He's made two different decisions for the same thing happening, so one of them is obviously wrong.

Once you've set the precedent that the first is the goal, you have to give the second. Nobody wanted tech to be brought in to allow the referees to make even more inconsistent decisions.

Berbasbullet

Too Boring For A Funny Tagline
I honestly don’t understand how VAR looks at that and goes “yes maguire fouled the keeper”.

Hernandez - BFA

The Way to Fly
I genuinely can not believe they rule our goal out, but give theirs.

Their keeper absolutely fluffs it. I genuinely was 100% certain they'd overrule the ref's decision and call it a goal for us.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
This isn't vars fault though! Var showed both incidents perfectly and in slow motion. It's the officials
I wish people would stop saying this. It completely misses the point. VAR has pros and cons. The cons are the way they mess with the flow of the game and make most goals scored a little less joyous in real time. These are BIG cons.

The pros are supposed to be an end to obvious errors or unfair decisions. If we’re not getting those pros then the system is the flawed. Every system is only as good as its weakest link. If we can’t eradicate human fallibility what’s the fecking point of the stupid thing?

BenitoSTARR

One Minute Man
Scout
Fuming and a joke. Anywhere else on the pitch the push in De Gea’s back is a foul.

SER19

I wish people would stop saying this. It completely misses the point. VAR has pros and cons. The cons are the way they mess with the flow of the game and make most goals scored a little less joyous in real time. These are BIG cons. The pros are supposed to be an end to obvious errors or unfairness in those games. If we’re not getting those pros then the system is the problem because every system is only as good as its weakest link. If the system isn’t working, the system has failed.
I disagree with the weight you put on cons, and think clear footage to correct major decisions is worth it's weight in gold. The officials are rubbish.

Berbasbullet

VAR didn't look at it. Ref blew the whistle instantly, so VAR can't review it.
Eh? Why not? I thought the ref stopped to let VAR look at it?

Regardless then that’s another ridiculous part of VAR.

BenitoSTARR

One Minute Man
Scout
Just don’t see how you can’t have at least consistency in the same football match.

Berbasbullet

Just don’t see how you can’t have at least consistency in the same football match.
It’s mental, I honestly don’t get how you call that a foul, like you said some consistency.

Referee has been poor, not played on when he could have, called cheap easy fouls defenders win.

Tarrou

I find the "clear and obvious error" part of it perplexing.. its either a foul or it isn't

they should just look at each decision and call it for what it is

Corey

The refereeing of the two goals today so far has been shambolic. Even worse than our performance .

Sheffield United’s goal was more of a foul than ours. Player makes no attempt to play the ball, just deliberately pushes the keeper. Maguire, on the other hand, is clearly looking at the ball and if he does foul the keeper, it’s accidental.

The United

Dave needs to show some kind of character imo. Should have made a meal of that push or got on the Ref's face to get something out of it.

The guy is just too timid.

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
Two exactly the same incidents in the same half of football, one given one not

unexplainable

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
Why de gea isn't making more of a deal out of that and at least bringing it to the refs attention is beyond me.
The fact that he didn't makes me think he didn't really think it was much of a push.

If he felt he'd been fouled you know he'd have been irrate.

pratyush_utd

Can't tell DeGea and Onana apart.
DDG was impeded while he was jumping while SU GK fluffed the ball. What a joke! Maguire should have been in the face of officials but we didn't even complained. All it would have taken was one complain and goal would have been ruled out.

Zlatan 7

We've got bush!
I disagree with the weight you put on cons, and think clear footage to correct major decisions is worth it's weight in gold. The officials are rubbish.
Football is there for the enjoyment more than the winning. Sure winning is great but kind of pointless if the sport has turned to shit

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
I honestly don’t understand how VAR looks at that and goes “yes maguire fouled the keeper”.
Yeah I’m not too sure how that was a foul. Maguire literally tried to challenge for the ball, no intent to go to the keeper. Don’t think he even touched Ramsdale, Ramsdale was the one made the contact.

Idxomer

That was a clear push on De Gea for their goal, this ref is a coward and we're too soft for not complaining.