Refs & VAR 2020/2021 Discussion

Jack-C20

I, like most people accepted the foul on De Gea. What pissed me off was us getting a goal disallowed for a lesser foul. Fecking infuriating.

SER19

Why do you keep trying to treat officials as distinct from VAR? They’re an integral part of it.
What do you think VAR is?
I'm talking about var in terms of the technology, and the process involved in reviewing to correct decisions.

Everybody watching at home, in an instant could see those incidents and correct them, or if you've decided the first isn't a foul, then allow the second to stand also.

Getting 'rid' of the var tech is pointless. Overall it corrects plenty.

Without it this thread would just be people complaining about not having it to correct the terrible officials mistakes.

Globule

signature/tagline creator extraordinaire
Two exactly the same incidents in the same half of football, one given one not

unexplainable
They were nowhere near being exactly the same. The push on De Gea was much worse than whatever foul Maguire is supposed to have committed.

NinjaZombie

Punched the air when Liverpool beat City
Dave needs to show some kind of character imo. Should have made a meal of that push or got on the Ref's face to get something out of it.

The guy is just too timid.
Least he could do was make it obvious he was being fouled.

It would be a moot point if the refereeing was consistent and our goal allowed to stand. People like to say two wrongs don't make a right, but in this case it does.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
I'm talking about var in terms of the technology, and the process involved in reviewing to correct decisions.

Everybody watching at home, in an instant could see those incidents and correct them, or if you've decided the first isn't a foul, then allow the second to stand also.

The “var tech” made an absolute bollox of two big decisions tonight. That’s completely unacceptable when we sacrifice so much to implement the damn thing.

Berbasbullet

Too Boring For A Funny Tagline
Yeah I’m not too sure how that was a foul. Maguire literally tried to challenge for the ball, no intent to go to the keeper. Don’t think he even touched Ramsdale, Ramsdale was the one made the contact.
Exactly Maguire is entitled to challenge for it and has eyes on the ball, keeper just spills it.

Referee craps himself and blows, even though the smart thing would be to let it ride and rely on VAR/videos.

It’s like they’re worried VAR undermines them, embrace it, there to help.

arnie_ni

Nah, the ref blew the whistle before the ball went into the net. So the play was dead at that point.

Absolute shite from the ref, but nothing VAR can do.
Confirmed by bt sport. Var can't look at it because the ref blew the whistle

Shane88

Actually Nostradamus
How is pushing a goalie not a foul and why does DDG not show his displeasure of the foul.
De Gea did the exact same thing a few years ago against Everton at Old Trafford.

Got blown out of it in a clear foul, the goal was given and he shrugged his shoulders. I fecking hate it.

acnumber9

The tech can’t make decisions. VAR is the officials. If the officials are no good, VAR is no good.

padr81

Supports
Man City
Maguires wasn't a foul and Sharps was, poor officiating.

acnumber9

Confirmed by bt sport. Var can't look at it because the ref blew the whistle
That’s absolute nonsense though. We had a penalty given this season after the final whistle. Peter Walton talks absolute shite.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
Exactly Maguire is entitled to challenge for it and has eyes on the ball, keeper just spills it.

Referee craps himself and blows, even though the smart thing would be to let it ride and rely on VAR/videos.

It’s like they’re worried VAR undermines them, embrace it, there to help.
In the same way VAR/videos ruled out their goal after he let it ride?

Jonno

Peter Walton on BT Sport saying the ref made a mistake by blowing the whistle for a foul too soon on the Maguire/Ramsdale incident. It meant that VAR "cannot look at the incident"

Bobcat

Behind the curtains, leering at the neighbors
CLASSIC VAR feckery there. Minor irritation without VAR. Referees are human after all. Incandescent rage with VAR.

The stupid fecking poxy load of shite has ruined goal celebrations in return for supposedly getting rid of obvious unfair decisions like that. It really is ruining the game.
This is it.

We have fecking VIDEO replays, so why cant they be reviewed? Oh, no we cant because "the refs decision is the law"

In one instance we have a player going into the keeper with no interest in the ball

In the other we have a player jumping straight up and the keeper fumbling the ball.

SER19

The “var tech” made an absolute bollox of two big decisions tonight. That’s completely unacceptable when we sacrifice so much to implement the damn thing.
It didn't though. The referee blew his whistle so var couldn't review the second one. Referees on field mistake in a season where attacks are supposed to play out

arnie_ni

That’s absolute nonsense though. We had a penalty given this season after the final whistle. Peter Walton talks absolute shite.
Because that one was a penalty check. This time the ref blew the whistle so the goal doesn't count and VAR can't check fks.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
How is pushing a goalie not a foul and why does DDG not show his displeasure of the foul.
To be fair to De Gea, he’s in the melee and won’t have the first idea of who made contact with him from behind.

SER19

The tech can’t make decisions. VAR is the officials. If the officials are no good, VAR is no good.
Overall it still corrects more big calls and I'm glad it's there. But this referee and var officials tonight should be demoted or at least have to give a post match report explaining their decisions.

acnumber9

Because that one was a penalty check. This time the ref blew the whistle so the goal doesn't count and VAR can't check fks.
Yeah, and offsides? Where they give free kicks if it is offside. They’re talking absolute shite.

Roboc7

Ref got both big decisions wrong but they are exactly the kind of decisions that VAR never over turns whichever way they are given. It’s essentially redundant for those kind of incidents as whatever ref decides is final, whether it’s right or wrong.

Berbasbullet

Too Boring For A Funny Tagline
They should mic up refs and VAR like rugby, too cowardly to do it, might actually have to explain decisions.

Cardozo

The fact that he didn't makes me think he didn't really think it was much of a push.

If he felt he'd been fouled you know he'd have been irrate.
I don’t think he really had a clue who or why he was shoved. You get buffeted around in the box and need to be stronger but let’s be honest, it’s a clear and deliberate foul with no intention to play the ball. Must be stevie wonder doing the VAR.

Hope we put this to bed in the second half.

acnumber9

Apologies, I get what you’s are saying now. He blew before the ball hit the net.

Jonno

Yet they had plenty of time to analyse theIr goal and still cocked it up.
I think both should stand as goals to be fair. DDG is a wet lettuce when coming for corners, and Ramsdale was poor when coming for his.

Difference is VAR were not allowed to review ours, so its a critical mistake from the on field ref. Both incidents should be refereed fairly.

SER19

And their goal?
A clear mistake. Demonstrated clearly that it was a foul but somehow not given. A terrible mistake but one most people live with if we didn't get one disallowed minutes later for less. Had var been allowed to review and allow ours to stand also then it's all fair, or as fair as it can be