Refs & VAR 2020/2021 Discussion

terraloo

Supports
Chelsea
Oh yeah the palace players in the box for the second is just fine, only one pedantic rule at a time!
Have seen the picture frozen at the point of contact by Zaha and there were not any Palace players in the box.

As for all the talk about a keeper only being an inch or two off the line I suspect the majority arguing that point were the ones that probably were arguing the polar opposite with marginal, but correct off side calls.

Back to the question of a retake then this explanation of the rules and the chart at the end may help

https://www.thefa.com/football-rule...laws/football-11-11/law-14---the-penalty-kick

sewey89

Incorrectly predicted the de Jong transfer 2022
We bash it, but that Brighton goal is why we need it. Also, whoever decided on the new offside rule, well done. If a player isn’t active, he shouldn’t be offside.

Well done ref and VAR on this one. Credit where credit is due.
I agree. I’m not against the idea of VAR. but the PL implemented it weirdly last year. This year seems much better in how it’s being implemented. I think the problem this year is the new handball rule

MadDogg

Manchester Utd never lose, just run out of time
That's just a handball regardless how shit the other decisions have been this weekend.
Yep. That one is a clear handball under any rules. He was in full control of the situation, mistimed what he was doing and it hit him on his bicep.

I'm leaning towards the Spurs one being handball as well since he had his arm out in an unnatural position. He didn't have time to move it out of the way, but if you have your arm outstretched it's your fault if it hits it.

The one against us was ridiculous as it was just a natural running motion from Lindelof.

Berbasbullet

Too Boring For A Funny Tagline
Have seen the picture frozen at the point of contact by Zaha and there were not any Palace players in the box.

As for all the talk about a keeper only being an inch or two off the line I suspect the majority arguing that point were the ones that probably were arguing the polar opposite with marginal, but correct off side calls.

Back to the question of a retake then this explanation of the rules and the chart at the end may help

https://www.thefa.com/football-rule...laws/football-11-11/law-14---the-penalty-kick
Like I said, if they’re consistent with it I’m okay with it, but point me to an example of a similar call over the last year or 2(regarding the coming off the line).

Comet49

I’m sure I read a few weeks about the the handball rule, if it’s towards the shoulder, above elbow, it’s not necessarily a penalty. the penalty rules have changed, a few year ago the keeper couldn’t even move, now they must stay on the line. It’s a line, the goal line. If the ball is a little over, it’s a goal so it follows that if the goalkeeper is a little over it will be taken again. It’s tough but relying on cameras it should be consistent with no refs favouring team arguments etc. What would be wrong is changing the rule mid season. Couldn’t believe how bad we were yesterday.

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
First time ever VAR gives a decision after the Full Time whistle?

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Brilliant peformance today by the referee especially in his use of technology. Whether it was confirming or turning around decisions, for or against us, it's a good avert for VAR.

ha_rooney

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
The referee going to the screen is a positive change & at least allows them to make the decisions rather than someone sitting miles away. Referee/VAR got all the decisions right.

cyberman

The fact VAR sends the ref to the screen tells me they would have changed it anyway. It still has to be clear and obvious to send the ref off to the screen anyway

duffer

Sensible and not a complete jerk like most oppo's
Scout
The referee going to the screen is a positive change & at least allows them to make the decisions rather than someone sitting miles away. Referee/VAR got all the decisions right.
I don't really see any benefit to the on pitch ref having to go over and watch it. If it's a similarly qualified ref making the call and telling him via the headset, it could massively speed things up.

Decisions should not be subjective, dependant on the mood of the ref.

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
What's the criteria after a goal, does 30 seconds always have to be added after a goal is scored? I just assumed he'd blow up at kick off at 2-2 given it was 95th minute. Whole handball stuff occurred nearly at 97th mintue so extra 90 seconds were found from somewhere.

Watched many matches abroad when they blow the whistle when a team is about to take a corner (can remember Real Madrid players going mental one time when it happened to them at Bernabeu) but that dosen't tend to be a thing in premier league.

MadDogg

Why does the ref ignore Pogba kneeing the back of his leg?
He only kneed him in the back of the leg because the attacker ran about two metres to the side (away from the ball) to get the contact. It's the same as deliberately sticking out a leg to initiate contact and pretend you've been fouled.

The other angle (which the on-field referee never looked at for some reason) shows it blatantly. The fact he didn't see that angle had me worried that he'd allow the goal because this angle doesn't show it as clearly.

Bobski

Why does the ref ignore Pogba kneeing the back of his leg?
Because the attacker is already beginning his dive, hoping for contact. Look, it could have been given, some of our pens last season were as soft as that but the game should not reward blatant fishing for pens. Include Utd players in that.

Zlatan 7

We've got bush!
Decisions could have gone either way again today, especially the Pogba foul. Guess pro VAR live this today and praising the decisions because they went for us. Flawless use :lol:

Zlatan 7

We've got bush!
He only kneed him in the back of the leg because the attacker ran about two metres to the side (away from the ball) to get the contact. It's the same as deliberately sticking out a leg to initiate contact and pretend you've been fouled.

The other angle (which the on-field referee never looked at for some reason) shows it blatantly. The fact he didn't see that angle had me worried that he'd allow the goal because this angle doesn't show it as clearly.
Exactly what shaw did in the second half And got the defender booked. Yeah great the decisions went for us today but it’s a farce

Pink Moon

Supports
Celtic

I totally agree with that but I'm not sure that's grounds to overlook the fact that the actual contact still occurs?

One Night Only

Prison Bitch #24604
How the feck are you debating the pogba foul. The little hobgoblin pulled pogba into him as much as possible. He commited the first foul. Can't commit a foul to gain a foul.

MadDogg

I totally agree with that but I'm not sure that's grounds to overlook the fact that the actual contact still occurs?
As I said, it's the same as deliberately sticking out a leg to initiate contact which is actually classed as diving and gets a yellow card. There's contact, but it's the attacker deliberately causing the contact so it's him that is making the foul.

Exactly what shaw did in the second half And got the defender booked. Yeah great the decisions went for us today but it’s a farce
Agreed, but that's only because it wasn't in the box so VAR couldn't call it back. Both situations fooled the referee but only one could be checked and was rightfully fixed.

acnumber9

What's the criteria after a goal, does 30 seconds always have to be added after a goal is scored? I just assumed he'd blow up at kick off at 2-2 given it was 95th minute. Whole handball stuff occurred nearly at 97th mintue so extra 90 seconds were found from somewhere.

Watched many matches abroad when they blow the whistle when a team is about to take a corner (can remember Real Madrid players going mental one time when it happened to them at Bernabeu) but that dosen't tend to be a thing in premier league.
They can blow up before the corner is taken but once it is it needs to be cleared before blowing.

acnumber9

I don't really see any benefit to the on pitch ref having to go over and watch it. If it's a similarly qualified ref making the call and telling him via the headset, it could massively speed things up.

Decisions should not be subjective, dependant on the mood of the ref.
It allows slightly more consistency having the same man making the decisions. There was a lot of conjecture last year that refs didn’t want to make each other look bad by saying their mate was wrong.

duffer

Sensible and not a complete jerk like most oppo's
Scout
It allows slightly more consistency having the same man making the decisions. There was a lot of conjecture last year that refs didn’t want to make each other look bad by saying their mate was wrong.
I agree that that probably happened because refs are so utterly spineless.

If they implemented the system properly it would take a huge amount of pressure off of the refs.

VivaRonaldo85

Basically the new handball rule based on the one we had against us last week and the one we got for us today reminds me of hockey where if the ball hits the players foot in the penalty area, it is an automatic penalty corner whatever the circumstances. The new rule is an ass and not VAR in this case.

red woppit

Supports
Northampton Town
The "expert" ex-refs they have in the studio are utterly pointless. Have they ever disagreed with a given call?
Peter Walton disagreed with the penalty given against Bailly last season v Bournemouth at home, said, if I remember correctly, that the ball hit the top of his shoulder, therefore not his arm, and was fractionally outside the box, so yes they do disagree. Can't remember who was ref in that game, but Walton was amazed that he gave a penalty after viewing it on the screen.

bleedred

I agree that that probably happened because refs are so utterly spineless.

If they implemented the system properly it would take a huge amount of pressure off of the refs.
It does help not having fans in the stadium. That's the main reason, refs avoided going to the screen last year. Imagine being a fan in the stadium, where the ref walks over to the screen every 10 minutes and you have no clue what its about?

Mb194dc

Supports
Chelsea
Referee and VAR were mainly ok today in the Utd game, only adding on extra minutes after the 95 was a bit controversial. That is the premier league, if don't like it don't watch I guess. They're allowed to give penalty in last play with VAR even if whistle goes and that was a penalty with current laws. Overall referee's been better this year in games I've seen with the monitors in use finally like everywhere else.

Just the early pen in the Liverpool game v Leeds they've got wrong as a matter of law.

Brighton have themselves to blame for poor defending and missing chances for losing. As much as would like to see Utd drop points again...

acnumber9

Wouldn't it make a lot more sense to blow up before the kick is taken (if time is up)? Either time is up or it isn't.

Similar to refs seeming to love blowing the final whistle after a goal kick is taken. Just blow it before, you bellend!
Probably. It’s cost me bets before though. You need to think of the corners betting market.