Refs & VAR 2020/2021 Discussion

Anustart89

We now have refs watching players getting fouled while taking a throw in and thinking, “yeah, nothing wrong with that”.
Yet the problem is apparently video technology and not the refs and their understanding of (or willingness to apply) the laws of the game that they're supposedly governed by and the enforcers of.

acnumber9

Yet the problem is apparently video technology and not the refs and their understanding of (or willingness to apply) the laws of the game that they're supposedly governed by and the enforcers of.
People aren’t complaining about technology. They’re complaining about VAR. The technology, a TV screen, isn’t capable of making decisions on its own. I don’t know how many times this needs to be pointed out. When people complain about VAR, they aren’t complaining about the TV screen.

cyberman

People aren’t complaining about technology. They’re complaining about VAR. The technology, a TV screen, isn’t capable of making decisions on its own. I don’t know how many times this needs to be pointed out. When people complain about VAR, they aren’t complaining about the TV screen.
The one constant are the refs though. Thats what has to be rooted out and retrained. Giving them the opportunity to review decisions shouldn't be the problem here

acnumber9

The one constant are the refs though. Thats what has to be rooted out and retrained. Giving them the opportunity to review decisions shouldn't be the problem here
It is a problem when they’re making things worse. Refs aren’t going to magically get better anytime soon.

cyberman

It is a problem when they’re making things worse. Refs aren’t going to magically get better anytime soon.
I juat cant see how letting refs make decsions now without VAR is the way forward when theyve proven how shit they are with it.

acnumber9

I juat cant see how letting refs make decsions now without VAR is the way forward when theyve proven how shit they are with it.
At least that way every game of football wouldn’t become an afterthought. I don’t know anyone that likes it.

cyberman

At least that way every game of football wouldn’t become an afterthought. I don’t know anyone that likes it.
We would be raging about players giving offside when yards on, refs making terrible decisions because they cant keep up with play or refs being intimidated by players intongiving homer decisions and lying to ourselves that it evens itself out.
VAR isnt perfect but a month without it woukd have us begging for it to return imo

awop

Odds winner of 'Odds or Evens 2022/2023'
Supports
Arsenal
I thought it could be an issue of competition and the job being not rewarding enough then i saw how much they are actually getting :eek: Not a bad gig at all even for the lessers names.
Imagine getting 30k basic + a 850fee per game to be a hidden ref with 12 slow-mo angles of everything. How many news refs are getting promoted every season ? 1 ? 2 ?

Fitchett

I thought it could be an issue of competition and the job being not rewarding enough then i saw how much they are actually getting :eek: Not a bad gig at all even for the lessers names.
Imagine getting 30k basic + a 850fee per game to be a hidden ref with 12 slow-mo angles of everything. How many news refs are getting promoted every season ? 1 ? 2 ?
And the rest, Dean, Oliver and Atkinson are on £200k pa basic, plus match fees. The rest are on either £70k or £48k basic, plus match fees.

acnumber9

We would be raging about players giving offside when yards on, refs making terrible decisions because they cant keep up with play or refs being intimidated by players intongiving homer decisions and lying to ourselves that it evens itself out.
VAR isnt perfect but a month without it woukd have us begging for it to return imo
I highly doubt it.

awop

Odds winner of 'Odds or Evens 2022/2023'
Supports
Arsenal
And the rest, Dean, Oliver and Atkinson are on £200k pa basic, plus match fees. The rest are on either £70k or £48k basic, plus match fees.
So it's either there is not enough good referees in lower leagues that are able to break through and get into contention for a PL spot. Or, there is but the system is designed so the ones in places are almost untouchable. Is there an exemple of a ref that was demoted for his performances ?
In Ligue 1 when Tony Chapron tackled a player he only got 6 months :lol:

Fitchett

So it's either there is not enough good referees in lower leagues that are able to break through and get into contention for a PL spot. Or, there is but the system is designed so the ones in places are almost untouchable. Is there an exemple of a ref that was demoted for his performances ?
In Ligue 1 when Tony Chapron tackled a player he only got 6 months :lol:
I don't know the standard of refs in the lower leagues. But the newer ones in the PL are all dreadful (Tierney, Kavanagh, Bankes, Coote). And Richardson, who I've seen ref a few of our u-23 matches at LSV is utterly appalling.

VivaRonaldo85

Anyone miss VAR in the Barnsley vs Chelsea game tonight? I found it quite refreshing getting on with a game and not having the continual disruptions and checks. Just like the good ol’ days.

Bubz27

No I won’t change your tag line
Human nature. VAR was good tonight and someone posts a vid of an incident a few years old moaning about VAR (when it was actually right?).

Zlatan 7

We've got bush!
But the correct outcome. Can't moan about VAR with that one.
It’s easy to say but I’d like to think if I was the manager of the team who won that penalty I’d ask the taker to just pass it to the keeper. It was ridiculous

Bubz27

No I won’t change your tag line
First Time I've seen it. Nuts really. Feels like VAR has made refereeing and common sense worse.
It's the correct decision though? It's stupid by the player but it's unintentional. Doesn't mean it's not a foul.

saintquin

Supports
Southampton, Harlequins
I wouldn't. Not my teams fault if the opponents cock up.
The subs didn't need be that close to the pitch in the first place

cyberman

Im seeing sone nonsense about the Leicester equaliser today. Do some pundits want that goal to be wrongfully disallowed?
The argument is becoming a little bit incoherent

Berbasbullet

Too Boring For A Funny Tagline
Im seeing sone nonsense about the Leicester equaliser today. Do some pundits want that goal to be wrongfully disallowed?
The argument is becoming a little bit incoherent
First it takes away too many goals; now it’s allowing my too many.

Baxter

Lindelof is shit and has to be stronger but that’s a foul.

I’m not sure how he can attack the ball with a hand pulling back on his face and being leaned over.

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
Lindelof is shit and has to be stronger but that’s a foul.

I’m not sure how he can attack the ball with a hand pulling back on his face and being leaned over.
The hand in the face is right at the end... Didn't really stop him from attacking anything because by that point he was already 2nd favourite for it

You can lean on players to gain position for headers, strikers do it all the time.

Baxter

The hand in the face is right at the end... Didn't really stop him from attacking anything because by that point he was already 2nd favourite for it

You can lean on players to gain position for headers, strikers do it all the time.
It would probably be soft but they Sheffield United and the Burnley goals disallowed were too. Diagne is all over Lindelof and certainly more contact that either of the goals United has disallowed.

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
It would probably be soft but they Sheffield United and the Burnley goals disallowed were too. Diagne is all over Lindelof and certainly more contact that either of the goals United has disallowed.
I would agree with that, but it was a travesty either of those goals were disallowed and that was the general consensus for both incidents after the fact too.

I doubt this one will have the same level of disapproval, if any.

bond19821982

Last Man Standing champion 2019/20
Yeah, first you ignore the foul on Lindelof which is fine because it was 50-50. Then you let Westbrom play the corner even after the added time but stopped it right after they lose the ball

State of PL refereeing

Berbasbullet

Too Boring For A Funny Tagline
Was a fan of VAR but I’m done with it, they just arbitrarily look at certain incidents they can be arsed to.

Honestly it hasn’t helped decisions every week are still wrong, it’s embarrassing.

Harry190

Bobby ten Hag
Not a fan of Lindelof but that was a foul. If it's hand on face, it's a fouls. No ifs or buts. Grab his shoulders and overpower him? Fine, can appreciate that. Hand on face, just no.

LuisNaniencia

Sky Sports called my bluff
At the very least, Moss should have said there's a hand in the face you should have a look at. Greame bloody Souness just called it a foul so it's not like there's no element of doubt.