Refs & VAR 2020/2021 Discussion

sebsheep

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Referee and VAR were mainly ok today in the Utd game, only adding on extra minutes after the 95 was a bit controversial. That is the premier league, if don't like it don't watch I guess. They're allowed to give penalty in last play with VAR even if whistle goes and that was a penalty with current laws. Overall referee's been better this year in games I've seen with the monitors in use finally like everywhere else.

Just the early pen in the Liverpool game v Leeds they've got wrong as a matter of law.

Brighton have themselves to blame for poor defending and missing chances for losing. As much as would like to see Utd drop points again...
Considering the 5 minutes is time added on for events in the 45 minutes of the 2nd half, it's really not controversial for the ref to add more time after a goal is scored.

Last edited:

Bobski

Saying it every week now but there are an incredible volume of penalties being awarded, easy to say that is all VAR, but the defensive ill discipline and poor decisions made are striking.

NoLogo

Today was finally an application of the technology that other leagues have been using for a while and that is much better. If the VAR thinks the ref has made a mistake tell him and let him have a second look, otherwise there is like absolutely no need for this technology.

groovyalbert

it's a mute point
Wouldn't it make a lot more sense to blow up before the kick is taken (if time is up)? Either time is up or it isn't.

Similar to refs seeming to love blowing the final whistle after a goal kick is taken. Just blow it before, you bellend!
I thought for a game to be officially ended, the ball has to be in play. Assuming that, and if it happens that the last play is a corner, then you can't end a game at that point until the attack is concluded/deemed over - cleared, missed opportunity or goal. It's why a ref can blow up after a keeper takes a goalkick, but not until a corner has come to a natural end of sorts.

duffer

Sensible and not a complete jerk like most oppo's
Scout
I thought for a game to be officially ended, the ball has to be in play. Assuming that, and if it happens that the last play is a corner, then you can't end a game at that point until the attack is concluded/deemed over - cleared, missed opportunity or goal. It's why a ref can blow up after a keeper takes a goalkick, but not until a corner has come to a natural end of sorts.
That's not the case.

PoTMS

Our players should be just told to scoop the ball onto other players hands once they get in the penalty area. Easiest way to score a goal these days.

Kounan

Considering the 5 minutes is time added on for events in the 45 minutes of the 2nd half, it's really controversial for the ref to add more time after a goal is scored.
Actually the added time shown is the minimum of minutes the ref wants to prolong the game, but it can be and actually should be prolonged even more if there is a reason for it, otherwise the winning team players would just "pretend to be injured" and wait till the game is over.

Bobski

After the Lindelof penalty last week, any contact with the hand in the box should be a penalty.
An awful, awful concept, players aiming for hands in the box, defenders trying to defend with their arms hidden. Going the way of US sport where defensive play gets more and more restrictions.

kiristao

An awful, awful concept, players aiming for hands in the box, defenders trying to defend with their arms hidden. Going the way of US sport where defensive play gets more and more restrictions.
I agree. I would much rather have the grey area of a ref deciding if it's hand to ball or ball to hand as it used to be rather than practically any contact with the hand being a penalty.
The Lindelof one and the Ward one today was clearly a hand being in a position that it naturally is when you are running or turning. The Brighton one was a clear attempt to block the header

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
VAR doesn't half ruin the emotion of celebrating a goal.

But it does offer a great get out clause. You used to hope the flag might be up when your opponent scored, now you always have the hope it might not be given.

We must have had at least 10-15 incidents where VAR has saved us

OldSchoolManc

Officially now a disgrace on VAR and handball penalties.
CP player could do nothing for penalty given to Everton, he even tried to move his hand away.
Then Everton player actually controls the ball with his hand and it isn’t given. Friend even went to watch it.
Done with this nonsense.

sebsheep

Actually the added time shown is the minimum of minutes the ref wants to prolong the game, but it can be and actually should be prolonged even more if there is a reason for it, otherwise the winning team players would just "pretend to be injured" and wait till the game is over.
Ah, seems I missed out the word 'not' there. :wenger:

Anustart89

Considering the 5 minutes is time added on for events in the 45 minutes of the 2nd half, it's really controversial for the ref to add more time after a goal is scored.
So if the ref adds five minutes and a team scores to go in front after one of those minutes, all they need to do to win the game is prolong their celebrations so that time runs out?

Sounds foolproof.

sebsheep

So if the ref adds five minutes and a team scores to go in front after one of those minutes, all they need to do to win the game is prolong their celebrations so that time runs out?

Sounds foolproof.
Sorry, as above I'd missed the word 'not' out. Edited now to avoid future confusion.

Nico87

Can this new handball rule be altered mid-season, or are we stuck with it until the next one?

Bubz27

No I won’t change your tag line
Chelsea have just got away with a handball with their equaliser now. VAR checked for it but looked at a different replay.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
Once again refs are inconsistent. Chelsea player clearly touched the ball with his hand for the third goal.

padr81

Supports
Man City
Thats a stonewall handball under the rules.

kiristao

As clear a handball as per the new rules as possible. How they can be inconsistent even with all the technology and rules is beyond me

Bubz27

No I won’t change your tag line
When they checked for handball, they looked at Abraham tapping it in. How would there be a handball there? Bonkers.

Gio

★★★★★★★★
Supports
Rangers
He only kneed him in the back of the leg because the attacker ran about two metres to the side (away from the ball) to get the contact. It's the same as deliberately sticking out a leg to initiate contact and pretend you've been fouled.

The other angle (which the on-field referee never looked at for some reason) shows it blatantly. The fact he didn't see that angle had me worried that he'd allow the goal because this angle doesn't show it as clearly.
This. It’s a classic case of engineering the contact. Cuts across, stops dead - away from the ball - and flings his legs back like a horse on its two front feet.

Zlatan 7

We've got bush!
VAR doesn't half ruin the emotion of celebrating a goal.

But it does offer a great get out clause. You used to hope the flag might be up when your opponent scored, now you always have the hope it might not be given.

We must have had at least 10-15 incidents where VAR has saved us
You see today after rashford scores he checks over his shoulder at the linesman to see if flags raised, it’s not so they celebrate. How long before they wait for the check and then celebrate.

I can’t believe how many people are so for this when even managers and people in the game don’t like it.

terraloo

Supports
Chelsea
Like I said, if they’re consistent with it I’m okay with it, but point me to an example of a similar call over the last year or 2(regarding the coming off the line).
FIFA issued clarification of the rule for this season so looking back over the last year is not appropriate.

terraloo

Supports
Chelsea
They can blow up before the corner is taken but once it is it needs to be cleared before blowing.
Not actually correct.

That said most referees will allow the phase of play to continue but there is no requirement to add anything extra on save when a penalty is awarded

Berbasbullet

Too Boring For A Funny Tagline
FIFA issued clarification of the rule for this season so looking back over the last year is not appropriate.
Fine, but like in the post quoted I don’t mind if this carries on and it is applied consistently.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
What's the criteria after a goal, does 30 seconds always have to be added after a goal is scored? I just assumed he'd blow up at kick off at 2-2 given it was 95th minute. Whole handball stuff occurred nearly at 97th mintue so extra 90 seconds were found from somewhere.

Watched many matches abroad when they blow the whistle when a team is about to take a corner (can remember Real Madrid players going mental one time when it happened to them at Bernabeu) but that dosen't tend to be a thing in premier league.
Stoppage time is minimum time added, if the play was stopped a lot in that stoppage time then refs add time on top of that.

acnumber9

Not actually correct.

That said most referees will allow the phase of play to continue but there is no requirement to add anything extra on save when a penalty is awarded
I’d say it’s one of those unwritten rules that all refs apply.

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
What's the criteria after a goal, does 30 seconds always have to be added after a goal is scored? I just assumed he'd blow up at kick off at 2-2 given it was 95th minute. Whole handball stuff occurred nearly at 97th mintue so extra 90 seconds were found from somewhere.

Watched many matches abroad when they blow the whistle when a team is about to take a corner (can remember Real Madrid players going mental one time when it happened to them at Bernabeu) but that dosen't tend to be a thing in premier league.
March scored at 94:30.

Game restarted at 95:45

Corner won at 96:10 - less then 30 seconds after the restart.

So time keeping shouldn't even be an issue here.

Santos J

Absolutely ridiculous that. Stupid from Tony but no idea how he can get sent off and Lamela can't, Lamela's was worse ffs.