Refs & VAR 2020/2021 Discussion

OnlyTwoDaSilvas

Gullible
I didn't think they'd top Maguire's disallowed goal vs Burnley this season, but this one is worse. Especially when VAR decided the exact same 'foul' on Rashford was nothing.

SemiPro

Wasn’t a clear and obvious error and had no bearing on whether or not the goal was scored. VAR really has just ruined football entirely, if it was done properly it would be great but the implementation is atrocious and never consistent. Absolute shambles for a massive league like the Premier League.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
If you want to give that as a foul, that's fine.

But that call should be consistent with the other decisions in the game where similar incidents weren't punished. And it isn't.

The ref when looking at it should know how he's refereed the rest of the game and know that disallowing the goal is inconsistent with other calls he's made.

It's hard to know whether something is "clear and obvious" as we don't know what the ref told them he initially saw. But once he's viewing it himself, it's his subjective call again.

People whine about offsides but the way these subjective calls are handled is by far the worst thing about VAR.

padr81

Supports
Man City
Second time this season the refs & VAR have fecked is against Spurs.
As a City fan, all I can say is Spurs have had some crazy decisions vs Manchester clubs with VAR.

That was a crazy decision, if thats a foul, football is officially a non-contact sport.

acnumber9

Results are being decided by a guy sitting in a portacabin watching tv. fecking joke.

LoneStar

This was supposed to better the game, it has completely ruined it. I fear for the state of football in the next decade.

SER19

Every single team is getting battered by this. Today's was arguably the worst yet. Fans need to stop watching for a week or some sort of effort. Each game is being played by different rules and its absolutely insane to call this a sport

hobbers

It's not VAR. It's the ref.
It is VAR. VAR turns one shit referee's performance into two shit referee's collaborative performance.

When you take a lump of shit and square it you just end up with more shit.

17Larsson

Not a malefactor just a lagomorph
Son and Rashford both embarrass themselves with dropping to the ground after barely being touched.

VAR gets a second look at Son's and deems it a foul worthy of disallowing a goal? What a joke. What kind of a sport is this these days?

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
I don't think the ref saw it live hence why VAR intervened here

It's the only explanation that makes sense

But damn this ref is weird...inconsistent refs are the worst

Zen86

Somebody may as well go down every time the opposition have the ball. It’s pretty much guaranteed any goals scored will go to a protracted VAR review.

The Man Himself

asked for a tagline change and all I got was this.
Nothing like football authorities and refs finding a way to feck up available technology which instead could be used to great effect to overturn howlers.

OverratedOpinion

I am about to go on a rant on the internet but I am fuming and can not help myself.

Son is a pathetic, cheating little coward and the referee either wanted attention or has no idea how to referee a football game.

Absolute shambles and I have no interest in watching the rest of this nonsense. They said for years "referees need help" well now they have it and they consistently cock everything up. They do not need help, they need accountability.

Varun

Staff
Results are being decided by a guy sitting in a portacabin watching tv. fecking joke.
It's the ref on the pitch that's judged that to be a arm to the face. He also decided it isn't worthy of a yellow card though because obviously it'd mean sending the player off. The problem isn't with the tech, it's with how inept these refs are.

hobbers

I would much rather go back to watching the odd shit decision happen in real time.

Instead of this catalogue of shit decisions compounded by more inconsistent applications of rules, taking minutes of gametime each time to sort out, and still getting the wrong decision at the end of it half the time.

El Zoido

I am about to go on a rant on the internet but I am fuming and can not help myself.

Son is a pathetic, cheating little coward and the referee either wanted attention or has no idea how to referee a football game.

Absolute shambles and I have no interest in watching the rest of this nonsense.
I’m just sick of it. It’s completely ruining the game.

lilcurt

Wasn’t a clear and obvious error and had no bearing on whether or not the goal was scored. VAR really has just ruined football entirely, if it was done properly it would be great but the implementation is atrocious and never consistent. Absolute shambles for a massive league like the Premier League.
It was bought in because the referees weren't keeping up with the elite level of the game. The problem with it is that fundamentally it is still controlled by the same incompetent officials.

acnumber9

It's the ref on the pitch that's judged that to be a arm to the face. He also decided it isn't worthy of a yellow card though because obviously it'd mean sending the player off. The problem isn't with the tech, it's with how inept these refs are.
Because he was told he’d made the wrong decision. That’s when they’re sent to view it. The tech is a tv. A ref watching tv. Therefore there is something wrong with the ‘tech’.

Heinzesight

I would much rather go back to watching the odd shit decision happen in real time.

Instead of this catalogue of shit decisions compounded by more inconsistent applications of rules, taking minutes of gametime each time to sort out, and still getting the wrong decision at the end of it half the time.
Absolutely, there’s the same amount of wrong decisions as without so may as well feck it off and keep the enjoying of celebrating a goal.

Amarsdd

Remind me if we have gotten a 50-50 or even 60-40 VAR decision going our way since Klopp started crying about it?

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons

This this this.

What you say is so bleeding obvious I’m genuinely astonished that anyone could see this shambles any differently.

And you can add to that multiple rule changes over the course of a season. Each in response to the latest VAR fiasco. Complete nonsense.

Hephaestus

Absolutely. Watching them spend ages looking at this, or the Newcastle one earlier, and still having to deal with shite decisions is so much worse than just accepting refs getting it wrong in real time.