Refs & VAR 2020/2021 Discussion

UweBein

Creator of the Worst Analogy on the Internet.
Supports
Chelsea
As far as I'm aware there's no distinction between attack and defence in this instance.
In your quote, there seems to be one. They are talking about creating goal scoring opportunities and scoring goals. It implies that it does not apply to all situations.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
In your quote, there seems to be one. They are talking about creating goal scoring opportunities and scoring goals. It implies that it does not apply to all situations.
The rules I quoted also talk about attack-specific handball situations (like scoring directly after handling the ball) but those are separate points. The relevant piece of the law here applies to both attackers and defenders.

If you look at the tweet thread @Mb194dc posted on the previous page talking about the handball law then you'll see those same rules being cited in regards to the Can handball.

Last edited:

Shane88

Actually Nostradamus
More of that narrative refereeing bullshit. Amad through on goal and blatantly tripped but "Nah, it makes no difference on the game and I'll have to send him off so I'll leave them away with it."

Bearded One

As much as I hate to admit it, I think it was a penalty. How stupid Can was there. That’s the height of negligence, I mean nobody is holding your hands and so you should show full awareness of your body movements.

He basically gifted City that win because up to that point they had contained City easily.

Berbasbullet

Too Boring For A Funny Tagline
More of that narrative refereeing bullshit. Amad through on goal and blatantly tripped but "Nah, it makes no difference on the game and I'll have to send him off so I'll leave them away with it."
Yep! Ref didn’t want to make a difficult decision. Simple as that.

Fitchett

Dortmund were robbed in this tie. Bellingham's goal was ruled out for no reason at all, ref couldn't wait to blow the whistle when he could have waited for VAR to check (like every other ref does) and then bs call for penalty. Can headed the ball first, it shouldn't be penalty.
Agreed. Refereed correctly and the scores should have been 2-2 and 1-1, with Dortmund going through on the away goals rule.

Fitchett

Yes, absolutely shocking decision. Up to the last round of matches involving United and city, I had been impressed with the higher standard of refereeing in European matches. Not that that is difficult in comparison with PL refs. But the two games with Granada and the two city v Dortmund matches have had appalling refs. Fortunately, we weren't deprived of progressing, so we should be thankful for that.

Bearded One

Yes, absolutely shocking decision. Up to the last round of matches involving United and city, I had been impressed with the higher standard of refereeing in European matches. Not that that is difficult in comparison with PL refs. But the two games with Granada and the two city v Dortmund matches have had appalling refs. Fortunately, we weren't deprived of progressing, so we should be thankful for that.
The decision at Granada was shocking as was the one at the Etihaf but let’s be real Can’s arm influenced the direction of the ball and though it was an unfortunate situation, it was a foul and a penalty.

Blades1889

Supports
Sheffield United
How they missed the studs up challenge on Brewster and Brewster was given a yellow says it all. Won’t miss this that’s for sure :houllier:

Mb194dc

Supports
Chelsea
Just saw West ham highlights. Very good play on from the referee for the first Newcastle goal. Think a few might blow up for the second yellow. Just to say something positive for a change..

Jaxa

I’m sh*tting it with Jon Moss today, I just know there will be some controversy in the match with him

It’s quite ironic that we’re in an era where they have technology to supposedly aid the referee and get more decisions correct however it’s probably been the most controversial and worst performing season from referees that I can remember , some right shockers against us alone never mind all the other teams.

cyberman

Just saw West ham highlights. Very good play on from the referee for the first Newcastle goal. Think a few might blow up for the second yellow. Just to say something positive for a change..
Always thought a red card had to be stopped there and then due to the player being able to influence the rest of play. He could literally hack a player down knowing hes off anyway.
Obviously im wrong.

Mrs Smoker

Supports
Panthère du Ndé
Always thought a red card had to be stopped there and then due to the player being able to influence the rest of play. He could literally hack a player down knowing hes off anyway.
Obviously im wrong.
For red the play would be stopped I'm pretty sure, but this was yellow, second one, but still a yellow.

Djemba-Djemba

I was all in favour of VAR but if this is how it's going to be used the last 2 years have changed my mind.

I don't want it anymore, get rid of it. I hate not really being able to celebrate a goal for fear of someone's toenail being offside in the buildup to the goal.

Keep the goalline technology but everything else, bin it.

NieThePiet

Supports
Werder Bremen, Arsenal
This red will be given in every league.
I don't know whats the exactly rule is, if you play the ball first. But this happens in every league.

Think it should be maximum a yellow if you play the ball first, because everything else is just an accident after that.

Berbasbullet

I don't know whats the exactly rule is, if you play the ball first. But this happens in every league.

Think it should be maximum a yellow if you play the ball first, because everything else is just an accident after that.
You genuinely think so? I’m not convinced but might be wrong.

It’s a disgusting decision, he’s literally just leathered the ball which is a huge action which leaves your leg hanging.

Jev

Slow-motion makes everything look more malicious and intentional because it looks like players had more time to think that they actually did. The fact that referees don't seem to account for that is one of many, many problems. The red card today was just ridiculous, nobody wants a sport where that's a red.

I don't think it's even debatable that VAR has made the game worse, and two seasons in, we're not seeing nearly enough improvements to convince me that's about to change. Really hope the football community get together again this summer and put an end to this nonsense.

NinjaZombie

Punched the air when Liverpool beat City
I was all in favour of VAR but if this is how it's going to be used the last 2 years have changed my mind.

I don't want it anymore, get rid of it. I hate not really being able to celebrate a goal for fear of someone's toenail being offside in the buildup to the goal.

Keep the goalline technology but everything else, bin it.
Agreed mate. I've always wanted VAR but the way they've implemented it with the bloody offside lines, the slow motion replays, the delays in celebrating a goal etc, has all been very daft. Get rid of it.

cj_sparky

What about Coufal's one then?

Berbasbullet

I honestly don’t get how you can watch that in real time and conclude he has left his foot in with intention? It happens in less than a second after he has slipped over, you’re surely more focused on trying not to fall over and hurt yourself?

Slow motion replays are ridiculous.

Vidyoyo

The bad "V"
Slow-motion makes everything look more malicious and intentional because it looks like players had more time to think that they actually did. The fact that referees don't seem to account for that is one of many, many problems. The red card today was just ridiculous, nobody wants a sport where that's a red.

I don't think it's even debatable that VAR has made the game worse, and two seasons in, we're not seeing nearly enough improvements to convince me that's about to change. Really hope the football community get together again this summer and put an end to this nonsense.
Agree, they need some training on the implications of video replays and their decision-making in terms out of it. I don't know if it's them going to simple heuristics as a result of running around the pitch and being mentally tired after 80 minutes but something about seeing an incident in slow-motion and addressing it as if it's real time just doesn't add up.

The FA need to pull their finger out and sort it out because it's getting farcical. The cynical part of me thinks they're all just a bunch of old farts who don't understand anything about VAR.

Vanrouge

In this case, I think it's the ref who's the problem, not VAR. A competent ref would have watched the replay and immediately determined it wasn't a clear and obvious error, and the game would have continued. But this is the same ref (Kavanagh) who decided McTom had fouled Son in the build up to a great Cavani goal, and I'm gobsmacked that a ref at this level doesn't understand physics and how bodies move at speed and all the basic stuff we know from playing the game ourselves.

Andersonson

That Balbuena sending of just proves how far off the refs are.

Baffling.

FA must do something about this, and fast!

Šjor Bepo

Wout is love, Wout is life; all hail Wout!
Time to put ex football players in the VAR room alongside refs, this is beyond ridiculous.

Ayush_reddevil

Éire Abú
Kavanaugh once again proved after the Mctominay decision that he is absolutely clueless in terms of how football works as a sport . He has no confidence either and as soon as the VAR asks him to see it he just has no balls to say no . It's fecking killing the game

klayton88

Players needs to take any fines that come their way and start calling these refs and these decisions out. It's the sheer inconsistency of it that is pissing fans off. Refs need to do a post match an explain decisions. Soon as a ref goes to the monitor you know it's a red/disallowed goal. Same spineless cnut who ruled our first out against spurs for Sons shithousery. The worst is the lines they draw for offsides. Apparently your arm can be deemed offside and a factor for being offside but if it hits that's same part of the arm in the build up to a goal it's considered an illegal part of the body. WHICH IS IT? Can't have it both ways.

Vidyoyo

The bad "V"
In this case, I think it's the ref who's the problem, not VAR. A competent ref would have watched the replay and immediately determined it wasn't a clear and obvious error, and the game would have continued. But this is the same ref (Kavanagh) who decided McTom had fouled Son in the build up to a great Cavani goal, and I'm gobsmacked that a ref at this level doesn't understand physics and how bodies move at speed and all the basic stuff we know from playing the game ourselves.
Honestly, I think this is 5x worse than the McTom decision. I didn't agree but could at least give the referee some benefit of the doubt there because it included hands and a face.

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
He obviously shouldn't be reffing at this level.

And yet he will probably continue to do so, because you know... Incompetence

Vidyoyo

The bad "V"
Players needs to take any fines that come their way and start calling these refs and these decisions out. It's the sheer inconsistency of it that is pissing fans off. Refs need to do a post match an explain decisions. Soon as a ref goes to the monitor you know it's a red/disallowed goal. Same spineless cnut who ruled our first out against spurs for Sons shithousery. The worst is the lines they draw for offsides. Apparently your arm can be deemed offside and a factor for being offside but if it hits that's same part of the arm in the build up to a goal it's considered an illegal part of the body. WHICH IS IT? Can't have it both ways.
Agree but refs don't do anything in terms of justifying their decisions. They're like a politburo when it comes to facing any kind of outward pressure. None of them use social media and the FA seems loathe to have them involved in any kind of media activity. It's obvious enough that there's loads of politics involved in basically everything they do. No mics either.

Edit - I don't mean to suggest they deserve to be hounded but they should be held accountable in some way. It's the first step to giving them the help they obviously need.

awop

Odds winner of 'Odds or Evens 2022/2023'
Supports
Arsenal
These american referees are stealing the game from us ! #REFSOUT