Refs & VAR 2020/2021 Discussion

Bubz27

No I won’t change your tag line
Varchester United with another decision going their way.

Since Klopp opened his mouth, we've had a number of ridiculous decisions go against us.

Anustart89

I agree with that. Shouldn’t be handball.
His hand’s got absolutely no business there and they’ve been instructed that above shoulder height isn’t a natural position and the hand moves towards the ball. How would you argue that the laws of the game support not giving a handball for that?

Berbaclass

Fallen Muppet. Lest we never forget
His hand’s got absolutely no business there and they’ve been instructed that above shoulder height isn’t a natural position and the hand moves towards the ball. How would you argue that the laws of the game support not giving a handball for that?
Was below shoulder height.

SER19

This is the worst officiated season in the history of the PL. They are most incompetent officials I've ever seen. Almost Every single club can make a case for being shafted by them

Member 90887

Var is starting to be tiring.

Klopp's comment definitely had an effect. Just like lampard last year.

If that's not a penalty I don't know what is.

The handball by Greenwood afterwards doesn't matter. Moreover, if the Chelsea player doesn't touch it, it does not hit Greenwood.

He clearly saw the ball which was moving at a slow speed. He had ample time to remove his hand.

Shane88

Actually Nostradamus
Every cnuting game the rules are different.

12pm today; Ndidi hand above head. Ball hits hand. Penalty.

4:30pm today; Odoi hand above head. Ball hits hand. No penalty.

cyberman

I agree with that. Shouldn’t be handball.
How though? Its not fired at him, he sees it coming the whole way. He panics by reaching out because Greenwood is getting in front of him and its at an unnatural height.
It covers all the bases.

Berbaclass

Every cnuting game the rules are different.

12pm today; Ndidi hand above head. Ball hits hand. Penalty.

4:30pm today; Odoi hand above head. Ball hits hand. No penalty.
Two very different incidents. CHO hand was nowhere near above his head.

Zen86

Just get rid of VAR. If refs are going to insist on making bad calls then we may as well make it quicker.

littlepeasoup

Do think it’s a bit odd that as the ref is at the monitor he’s go Chelsea players behind him yelling why it’s not a penalty. That’s got to have some influence on his decision.

SER19

How though? Its not fired at him, he sees it coming the whole way. He panics by reaching out because Greenwood is getting in front of him and its at an unnatural height.
It covers all the bases.
It's a stonewall penalty. No point having a conversation about why it isn't.

NinjaFletch

Do think it’s a bit odd that as the ref is at the monitor he’s go Chelsea players behind him yelling why it’s not a penalty. That’s got to have some influence on his decision.
I mean you can't expect these referees to have read basic points of the laws of the game.

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
The only thing it could be is he believes Mason's arm is affecting CHO hand as its underneath it... But that's reaching a little in my opinion.

However without that it's an absolute 100% under the laws

Grinner

Not fat gutted. Hirsuteness of shoulders TBD.
Staff
Supports
Arsenal

Why don't the mancs yelling that it is have the same amount of influence?

Berbaclass

doesn’t matter whether it’s accidental or not. Even so, makes a movement towards the ball.
Like I said I don’t think it’s a penalty because he didn’t intentionally make himself bigger. I think there is some contact between Mason and CHO and he moves his arm jostling with Mason and it hits him. I wouldn’t have given it.

Grinner

Not fat gutted. Hirsuteness of shoulders TBD.
Staff
Supports
Arsenal
The only thing it could be is he believes Mason's arm is affecting CHO hand as its underneath it... But that's reaching a little in my opinion.

However without that it's an absolute 100% under the laws

That's what I thought I saw. It looked like your player pushed his arm up to the ball.

ajay1002

Utd have had an inordinate amount of decisions go against them since Klopp's whinge. CHO's hand was at his shoulder and also appeared to flick out towards the ball. It was a definite penalty, I really cannot understand how it wasn't given.

cyberman

Y
Like I said I don’t think it’s a penalty because he didn’t intentionally make himself bigger. I think there is some contact between Mason and CHO and he moves his arm jostling with Mason and it hits him. I wouldn’t have given it.
You dont have to intentionally make yourself bigger to give away a pen. And is flicking the ball away not making yourself bigger anyway? It didnt hit his hand by accident. Thers a a definite movement to the ball and it should have killed the whole argument.

arnie_ni

That's not In the rules though is it?

The entirety of a handball decision doesn’t depend on the notion that you have to be making yourself bigger.

Amarsdd

I've been a big proponent of VAR since the start, but this season the implementation of VAR has really put me off. I'm now thinking just scrap the whole VAR thing if you can't use it properly.

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
That's what I thought I saw. It looked like your player pushed his arm up to the ball.
That's the only thing it could be... And the picture above does show there is contact between the arms effect he handles it.

Still think most refs give it though.

arnie_ni

Look at their arms. Can you say masons arm isn’t interfering with CHO?
How does that matter? If CHO bumps greenwood a bit, the ball hits his arm and he scores they don't say it's not handball because CHO made contact.

It should be irrelevant