Refs & VAR 2020/2021 Discussion

Paxi

Dagestani MMA Boiled Egg Expert
Struggling to think of one good ref in English football.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID

The handball rule is a mess. Or Stuart Attwell is a mess. Or both.

arnie_ni

Some people seem to think a handball has to be on purpose, when that hasn't been the case in living memory.
I'm genuinely asking? Is there anything in the rules that says contact from an attacker causing the defenders hand to hit the ball doesn't constitute a pen? Because it'd the only possible argument.

If it isn't in the rules it's a stonewall pen.

@limerickcitykid always seems on top of the rules

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
I'm genuinely asking? Is there anything in the rules that says contact from an attacker causing the defenders hand to hit the ball doesn't constitute a pen? Because it'd the only possible argument.

If it isn't in the rules it's a stonewall pen.

@limerickcitykid always seems on top of the rules
I'm sure there is a line about handball on purpose is a pen.
But there will be bits about unnatural positions of hands, which will cover that one today.

Heinzesight

I just want the ref to show some fecking bollocks when he’s got players around him at the monitor. It’s not allowed so book each one of the cnuts.

AFC NimbleThumb

At this point we need to start telling the Prem what refs we don’t want refereeing us & leaking it like Southampton did.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
How did he not? He lifted it up to the ball? Is that even in the rules?
That's not the law ffs.

Surely VAR should be advising Attwell on what the laws are if he implies he doesn't know them.
Christ knows. The handball rule is beyond me at this point. Presumably VAR were thinking it was a handball seeing as they referred it, so....

Not sure VAR should need to tell the referee how the handball law works really. I haven't a notion but you'd hope they do.

Berbasbullet

Too Boring For A Funny Tagline
Why does it matter if he moved his hands to the ball? Lindelof one start of the season is a pen but this isn’t? :lol: my god there is no consistency

arnie_ni

Christ knows. The handball rule is beyond me at this point. Presumably VAR were thinking it was a handball seeing as they referred it, so....

Not sure VAR should need to tell the referee how the handball law works really. I haven't a notion but you'd hope they do.
It's very similar to lindeloffs against Palace.

Imo neither should be penalised but the rules say they should be

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
Why does it matter if he moved his hands to the ball? Lindelof one start of the season is a pen but this isn’t? :lol: my god there is no consistency
I know the Lindelof one wouldn't be given now as the interpretation has changed since then. What the current interpretation is, no idea.

Acole9

Outstanding
The one thing I didn't like about that was the players surrounding the monitor, that shouldn't be happening.

Cpt Negative

It's very similar to lindeloffs against Palace.

Imo neither should be penalised but the rules say they should be
It’s nothing like Lindelof against Palace.
The balled was smashed at Lindelof from close range and had no time to change his arm position.

CHO misjudged the flight of the ball he watched onto his hand.

he probably didn’t mean to do it - but they should always be penalties for me

Lentwood

Let’s face it, it wasn’t the worst offence ever committed however I can’t see how it wasn’t given as a penalty once it was referred to the referee.

I fully expected that to be given at that point. There are no mitigating circumstances. Had time to get out the way, arm was in an unnatural position, takes the ball away from Greenwood, plenty of daylight between hand and body...I just can’t understand what the referee looked at and thought “that’s not handball”

Heinzesight

Is there an actual rule on how far the players should be from the ref whilst he’s looking at the pitchside monitor?

Ayush_reddevil

Éire Abú
People should remember that VAR was bang on about this but the ref has somehow decided to see it and still not change his decision. Madness

Berbasbullet

Too Boring For A Funny Tagline
I’m still in shock, disgraceful so you can control the ball with your hand providing that you think Greenwood will come into the back of you then Tyler?

arnie_ni

It is an offence if a player:

• deliberately touches the ball with their hand/arm, including moving the hand/arm towards the ball
  • scores in the opponents’ goal directly from their hand/arm, even if accidental, including by the goalkeeper
  • after the ball has touched their or a team-mate’s hand/arm, even if accidental, immediately:
    • scores in the opponents’ goal
    • creates a goal-scoring opportunity
  • touches the ball with their hand/arm when:
    • the hand/arm has made their body unnaturally bigger
    • the hand/arm is above/beyond their shoulder level (unless the player deliberately plays the ball which then touches their hand/arm

case closed.

AFC NimbleThumb

People should remember that VAR was bang on about this but the ref has somehow decided to see it and still not change his decision. Madness
Fair point.

VAR actually wasn’t the problem here, it served its purpose.

The problem was a referee refusing to admit he missed it in real time. It’s rather easy to miss in the first instance but once referred to the screen referees can turn a blind eye to incidents apparently.

arnie_ni

Tactical fouls just aren't punished in this league.

Every time James passes the ball they foul him so he can't run for a one two.

Not one yellow