Refs & VAR 2020/2021 Discussion

Mb194dc

Supports
Chelsea
Loads of football laws aren't enforced properly, foul throws, dissent and swearing at the ref, holding at corners and free kicks even kicking the ball away. Last night was first time in ages I can remember a card for booting the ball away.

Would be interesting if referees suddenly got strict on all those and GK time wasting.

Thunderhead

Supports
City
Another absolute joke today of a pen not given today.

1 player exaggerates contact and goes down and gets a pen

1 player gets fouled tried to stay in his feet and carries on and doesn't get the foul

Absolute joke

awop

Odds winner of 'Odds or Evens 2022/2023'
Supports
Arsenal
A norwegian footballing-journalist today had an interesting piece where he asked VAR to look at goalkeepers holding on to the ball for far too long. The rule today is 6 seconds - and he wrote that he had looked at several games recently to see how long goalkeepers hold onto the ball. The worst case was Sam Johnstone against United, when at the end of the game, he held the ball for about 22 seconds.

Actually quite interesting - and I agree with him. Why don't VAR look at the extreme cases like this ?
22 !? :lol: Was he wasting time or was the game already over score-wise ?

V.O.

Last Man Standing finalist 2019/20
A norwegian footballing-journalist today had an interesting piece where he asked VAR to look at goalkeepers holding on to the ball for far too long. The rule today is 6 seconds - and he wrote that he had looked at several games recently to see how long goalkeepers hold onto the ball. The worst case was Sam Johnstone against United, when at the end of the game, he held the ball for about 22 seconds.

Actually quite interesting - and I agree with him. Why don't VAR look at the extreme cases like this ?
It's funny how selectively anal referees are as a group with certain rules and just flat out refuse to enforce others. It's completely arbitrary. The last time I remember this one being enforced, I think it was on fecking Jussi Jaaskelainen about 2 weeks after they made the rule up. :lol:

Zlatan 7

We've got bush!
How the feck have VAR missed that blatant encroachment by Veratti. What’s the point anymore, the make up pens when they feel like.

V.O.

Last Man Standing finalist 2019/20
How the feck have VAR missed that blatant encroachment by Veratti. What’s the point anymore, the make up pens when they feel like.
In the CL it seems even worse. They give you one replay from a shit angle (Barca pen incident) or absolutely nothing (check afterwards).

Botim

Supports
Royal Antwerp FC

It seems like every game now has a "VAR controversy". Wasn't the very point of video reviews to eliminate controversies?

The latest excuse I've heard over here in Belgium: the video ref doesn't have high definition replays like the people back home :houllier:

awop

Odds winner of 'Odds or Evens 2022/2023'
Supports
Arsenal
Every day the conspiracy/corruption theory gets a little bit closer to reality. He almost destroyed his left ankle too, 1s later with a firmly planted foot and he's gone for months. :rolleyes:

arnie_ni

It seems like every game now has a "VAR controversy". Wasn't the very point of video reviews to eliminate controversies?

The latest excuse I've heard over here in Belgium: the video ref doesn't have high definition replays like the people back home :houllier:
That's the easiest pen you're likely to see

Ralaks

Thats shocking. Even outsite the penalty area it could arguably been checked as potential red?

Berbasbullet

Too Boring For A Funny Tagline
That’s a red card :lol: absolute blatant pen, the referees are absolutely disgraceful this season.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
Is anyone starting to think the English referees might resent VAR and have been doing their best to sabotage it this season in the hope it’s just a fad and that fans that think it’s ruined the magic of the game will eventually get their way and see it scrapped?

Statue of Limitations

I obviously don't have much love for City but that isn't just a penalty, it's a red card.
I can understand not giving it in a split second decision, but to look at the tape and think "oh no foul there" is crazy, and frankly dishonest.

They don't want to undermine the referees maybe, but it's to aid them not diminish them.

I would have lost my mind if this was against us in a tight game, incredible idiocy from the FA officials.
Imagine a decision like this in a CL Final.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID

I don't get that decision. Maybe they thought he played the ball first and that was enough for it not to be a pen? It does look like the direction of the ball changes again after Foden touches it. But even then.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
Referees encourage diving. If Foden goes down holding his ankle and crying out he'll get a penalty and maybe a red for a dangerous tackle.

Instead he tries to do the "right" thing and carry on and score, he unfortunately loses his balance and can't get up to gain an advantage.

I can understand the Referee erring on the cautious side as it happens quickly and the contact isn't massively obvious at full speed - but what the hell are VAR doing?

You can see quite clearly the goalkeeper touches him twice :lol: I just cannot understand what they're thinking or how they've come to that conclusion?

Yet again we hear nothing from them to explain it, so we're left with thoughts of corruption or gamesmanship, is that really what the PL want?

The crazy thing is this is happening every game with every referee set they have - they're all either completely incompetant or just doing it on purpose.

I don't get that decision. Maybe they thought he played the ball first and that was enough for it not to be a pen? It does look like the direction of the ball changes again after Foden touches it. But even then.
If they can't see the goalkeeper land on his ankle on a slow motion replay why are they doing that job in the first place?

It's not like it's a rush either they get to see it multiple times, it's bonkers.

Zlatan 7

We've got bush!
It’s
Is anyone starting to think the English referees might resent VAR and have been doing their best to sabotage it this season in the hope it’s just a fad and that fans that think it’s ruined the magic of the game will eventually get their way and see it scrapped?
It’s ruined the magic of the game whether they’re trying to sabotage it or not

bsCallout

There is a reason players make a meal of tackles and they've just been reminded to keep doing it.

cjj

Supports
Spurs
That's the only thing I can think of, and I believe that was behind it - it looks like McCarthy might get a nibble on the ball literally just before (just) he takes his ankle. I know GKs get a little more benefit like Areola did the other week, so I gather that the ref wasn't sure, and the VAR also couldn't call it enough to say it was definitely incorrect.

I dont know if it's worthy of the hyperbole that it's been given. The Pickford one was far worse in terms of impact etc.

Champ

Refuses to acknowledge existence of Ukraine
That's the only thing I can think of, and I believe that was behind it - it looks like McCarthy might get a nibble on the ball literally just before (just) he takes his ankle. I know GKs get a little more benefit like Areola did the other week, so I gather that the ref wasn't sure, and the VAR also couldn't call it enough to say it was definitely incorrect.

I dont know if it's worthy of the hyperbole that it's been given. The Pickford one was far worse in terms of impact etc.
I think he gets a slight touch on the ball - the issue is whether or not the touch of the ball is before the trailing leg of the keeper hits Fodens standing leg, thats definitely close.

cyberman

I obviously don't have much love for City but that isn't just a penalty, it's a red card.
I can understand not giving it in a split second decision, but to look at the tape and think "oh no foul there" is crazy, and frankly dishonest.

They don't want to undermine the referees maybe, but it's to aid them not diminish them.

I would have lost my mind if this was against us in a tight game, incredible idiocy from the FA officials.
Imagine a decision like this in a CL Final.
The entire way they feck up using VAR undermines them anyway.
Instead of criticising VAR we need to use it as a stepping stone to address referees egos and wild use of law interpretation. Blaming VAR is like blaming the refs eyeballs.

I'm becoming more and more convinced the referees are sabotaging it. They know most of the decisions will be blamed on VAR instead of them, and they want rid of it so they can avoid scrutiny.

Zlatan 7

We've got bush!
I'm becoming more and more convinced the referees are sabotaging it. They know most of the decisions will be blamed on VAR instead of them, and they want rid of it so they can avoid scrutiny.
Just the prem or are they sabotaging it in the champions league too because that’s just as bad

Mb194dc

Supports
Chelsea

I don't think he touches the ball myself but even if he does, surely he's nowhere near being in control of it. He floors Foden.
It's a foul and a Pen 8 days a week on Foden. I wonder why not given....?

The Southampton penalty looks like a clear dive as well. Only seen it on the youtube highlights not many angles.

Encroachment in the PSG Barcelona game looks close though not on number 6 (Veratti) player next to him maybe. Edit, guess like me thinking about the line not the D....

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
The encroachment on the penalty was a major mistake, yeah. English refs at it in europe too :lol:

saivet

Unless they have some conclusive replays that haven't been shown, it's bizarre that they gave a handball on Kessie.

RedSky

Shepherd’s Delight
Scout
Unless they have some conclusive replays that haven't been shown, it's bizarre that they gave a handball on Kessie.
Got moaned at for saying the same thing, i've looked at several angles and there wasn't any proof it hit the arm. Maguire is staring right at Kessie when he controlled it and not once did he claim it was a handball. Why? It wasn't. We've had some shit luck with VAR and Ref decisions lately mind so about time we got away with one.

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
Got moaned at for saying the same thing, i've looked at several angles and there wasn't any proof it hit the arm. Maguire is staring right at Kessie when he controlled it and not once did he claim it was a handball. Why? It wasn't. We've had some shit luck with VAR and Ref decisions lately mind so about time we got away with one.
I'm waiting for someone to show an angle that shows the definite handball... I'm currently just going on the word of others that it was handball.

MU655

It didn't look like a handball. VAR changing a correct on-field decision to a wrong one.

NinjaFletch

It's hard to have much sympathy for it.

In the two games I've watched today it's ruled out a goal for no real reason and then failed to give an incredibly blatant penalty on N'Dombele. I struggle to understand how refs are getting it so wrong.

Samid

He's no Bilal Ilyas Jhandir
"Heavy flag" on a clear offside has caused a serious injury. This was always a matter of time...

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
Was always going to happen at some point. The semi-automated offside system will stop it being an issue but that's still a couple of years away, so I suspect we'll see more before then.

cyberman

"Heavy flag" on a clear offside has caused a serious injury. This was always a matter of time...
Dont think it caused an injury. Its like claiming a missed offaide pre VAR injured a player as well. Its just unfortunate.

calodo2003

Flaming Full Member
Surprised we haven’t seen more injuries due to the silly ‘allow the play to flesh out’ current offside rule...

Murray3007

its clear the Ref's and the rules are the biggest problem to VAR, need to get these correct first and foremost or just scrap the whole thing but considering the money they have invested in to it, i cant see it changing anytime soon, need to get Refs and ex players around a table and get these things sorted. actually turning me away from Football, used to watch nearly every game i could but last couple of seasons its getting less and less games, so much now if it was not United playing i dont really watch it.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
Dont think it caused an injury. Its like claiming a missed offaide pre VAR injured a player as well. Its just unfortunate.
I think it’s different. You can see defenders hesitate a beat when they realise the striker is clearly offside, then frantically rush to get back when it isn’t called. You could argue that they should be like boxers “defend yourself at all times” but it’s another fundamental change to the way the game is played. VAR should be fixing poor decisions. It shouldn’t be changing the game.