Refs & VAR 2020/2021 Discussion

TheReligion

Abusive
The penalty call is actually even worse to be fair. Not only that but he watched the replay about 40 times. Was probably thinking to himself “well I’ve been paid by City to throw the match but even I can’t give that without looking corrupt.”
There's more? What was that one

TrustInJanuzaj

'Liverpool are a proper club'
There's more? What was that one
He gave a penalty to city about 5/10 mins before the bellingham shocker, for a ‘challenge’ made by Can onto Rodri. Only Can didn’t even touch Rodri who actually handballed it and was already kneeling down. Outrageous call!

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
Why a red card for Ederson? He didn’t deny a goal-scoring opportunity?

Agree with points 1 through 5.
Depends how you look at it I guess... Imagine if the ref thought it was a foul on Bellingham initially and just blew up early without allowing advantage, he'd have to send off Ederson right?

The funny thing is if Bellingham goes down and doesn't score, VAR probably does review it and may well have come to that outcome. Once again a footballer is punished for not going to ground.

TheMagicFoolBus

Supports
Chelsea
Depends how you look at it I guess... If the ref thought it was a foul on Bellingham initially and just blew up early without allowing advantage, he'd have to send off Ederson right?

The funny thing is if Bellingham goes down and doesn't score, VAR probably does review it and may well have come to that outcome. Once again a footballer is punished for not going to ground.
Didn't even think of that - great point. Again just highlights the utter idiocy of the current system.

Longshanks

The ref was Romanian was he not? I'm assuming he refs in the romanian league which dosent use VAR, meaning his instincts will be to blow up when he sees a foul.

He cant reasonably be expected to flit between refereeing with and without VAR it's a different style needed and mistakes will be made. UEFA should only be using refs who regularly officiate in VAR leagues if they want to use VAR.

None of that excuses the fact it was a poor decision by the ref in the first place and was exactly the sort of situation that VAR was bought in to sort out.

Rossa

Don’t think so. He certainly did nothing to prevent Bellingham from having an opportunity to score. The fact the ref blew up before he took that opportunity doesn’t change the nature of the prior incident.
Well, in fairness, Ederson kicks Bellingham after the ball was played. If Bellingham goes down, then its a red?

Another shocking fact is that the ref dis not give the City player that atamped a Dortmund player dor their free kick that Reus wasted later on. It was much mich more obvious - no card

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
Depends how you look at it I guess... Imagine if the ref thought it was a foul on Bellingham initially and just blew up early without allowing advantage, he'd have to send off Ederson right?

The ref blowing up early doesn’t change what Ederson did. To get sent off Ederson would have had to have done something to prevent Bellingham having an opportunity to score. Which didn’t happen.

Don’t get me wrong. It was an atrocious piece of refereeing but there was no scenario in which that sequence of events should have ended up with Ederson being sent off.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
Well, in fairness, Ederson kicks Bellingham after the ball was played. If Bellingham goes down, then its a red?

Another shocking fact is that the ref dis not give the City player that atamped a Dortmund player dor their free kick that Reus wasted later on. It was much mich more obvious - no card
It is. But he didn’t go down, nor was he even put off to an extent which made it more difficult to score. The goal-scoring opportunity wasn’t denied in the slightest. And if has to be denied in order for Ederson to get sent off.

Rossa

It is. But he didn’t go down, nor was he even put off to an extent which made it more difficult to score. The goal-scoring opportunity wasn’t denied in the slightest. And if has to be denied in order for Ederson to get sent off.
We’ve seen players go down for less, and the contact is certainly there. Could the ref not give it then, or VAR? I doubt it.

TheMagicFoolBus

Supports
Chelsea
We’ve seen players go down for less, and the contact is certainly there. Could the ref not give it then, or VAR? I doubt it.
Problem is that Ederson can't have been judged to deny a goal scoring opportunity as Bellingham continued and would have scored, but the idiot ref blew his whistle early so the goal itself then also can't be reviewed by VAR. Just a clusterfeck from a ref from a poor league. Still astonishing that UEFA continues to give huge matches to refs from mediocre leagues - they just aren't used to the pace of play or to the specifics of VAR.

garnier

Supports
Manchester City
Some really poor refereeing in that game last night. He nearly ruined the game. Fair play to Dortmund for keeping their heads up and giving us a game in the second half.

Dansk

https://www.clippituser.tv/c/nmmqey

Referee gave a yellow for that. How does that even happen? Yes, it's the CONCACAF which has a reputation for dodgy refereeing, but that may possibly be the worst decision I have seen in my life. That kind of tackle is an undisputable red that should probably come with a long suspension, and he just books the player. Clear view of it, no way he didn't see exactly what happened. I doubt you could find many laymen who wouldn't agree that it's a red, and this is a professional referee. It wasn't some amateur game in the ninth tier, it wasn't in the eighties, it was yesterday in the knockout stage of the American CL. That referee should be under immediate investigation for corruption. How does something like that even happen these days?

Last edited:

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
Someone made a point on the Second Captains podcast that CL referees are always very fussy about high feet. It’s usually a free when someone plays a waist high ball with their studs in a coming together with another player. Even if the other player makes no attempt to head it. Hard to disagree with that tbh. I always think it’s a terrible decision but it’s the way CL games are usually refereed. So maybe a VAR review wouldn’t have changed the decision?

garnier

Supports
Manchester City
Someone made a point on the Second Captains podcast that CL referees are always very fussy about high feet. It’s usually a free when someone plays a waist high ball with their studs in a coming together with another player. Even if the other player makes no attempt to head it. Hard to disagree with that tbh. I always think it’s a terrible decision but it’s the way CL games are usually refereed. So maybe a VAR review wouldn’t have changed the decision?
I had this thought at the time. It struck me as a very "continental" high foot for the Ederson-Bellingham incident. The type that English audiences would look at and think is ridiculous (like we have done), but maybe someone watching in Spain or Italy would understand why it was given. Still don't think it was a foul on Ederson. It won't decide the tie or anything -- and Dortmund did get level in the end only to chuck it away -- but it might change the way high feet are refereed in the future.

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
https://www.clippituser.tv/c/nmmqey

Referee gave a yellow for that. How does that even happen? Yes, it's the CONCACAF which has a reputation for dodgy refereeing, but that may possibly be the worst decision I have seen in my life. That kind of tackle is an undisputable red that should probably come with a long suspension, and he just books the player. Clear view of it, no way he didn't see exactly what happened. I doubt you could find many laymen who wouldn't agree that it's a red, and this is a professional referee. It wasn't some amateur game in the ninth tier, it wasn't in the eighties, it was yesterday in the knockout stage of the American CL. That referee should be under immediate investigation for corruption. How does something like that even happen these days?
Embedding for the masses.

Barely touched him Clive...

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
Good example of how stupid VAR has made offside officiating in United’s game tonight. About eight minutes in. Granada float a free kick in towards a striker who has been caught at least two yards offside. The linesman doesn’t flag because that’s what they do now. Bruno can’t risk the ball reaching a completely unmarked opponent without seeing an offside flag so heads it out for a corner. Ref gives the corner because a) there was no flag and b) the offside player didn’t get anywhere near the ball. In any one of a hundred previous seasons that’s a clear offside and possession to United. In this fecked up, post-VAR world it’s a corner to Granada. Absolute nonsense.

Swedish_Plumber

Can’t express just how much I despise the refs who buy every little scream and hand out yellows because of it above every other ref type.

Matriac

Is the ref bought or just really bad?
Doesn't see any of the late tackles on our boys, and we get yellow for just about anything.

Granada are acting like cnuts.

V.O.

Last Man Standing finalist 2019/20
Come to think of it, I can't recall too many ridiculously tight offside goals ruled out in the CL?
The CL method is a bit dodgy for its own reasons as well, though. There have been a good few goals that looked pretty close that they don't even show a replay from a decent angle for, and just quickly moved on as if nothing happened.

cyberman

Come to think of it, I can't recall too many ridiculously tight offside goals ruled out in the CL?
I dont think this is true. They have already taking away flexibility of VAR from England and has already made it uniform hence the wider use of pitchside monitors this season.
There was a massive deal about it. Plus Collina makes the decisions since its his job, he wouldn't just be making calls

redrobed

Just reading some of the comments above - there was nothing new there in the bias against Utd last night. You’re going to have to get used to it I’m afraid guys, referees and governing bodies seem to hate us - it’s been this way ever since I started supporting over 20 years ago. We defy the odds.

FujiVice

How can you possible give a red card for a follow through? We're fecked man. This game is being ruined.

Kag

How can you possible give a red card for a follow through? We're fecked man. This game is being ruined.
Because the follow through was at knee height and not remotely necessary to win the ball.

Cooper is a halfwit and blaming a television monitor for his inability to use his noggin’ is frankly laughable.

FujiVice

Because the follow through was at knee height and not remotely necessary to win the ball.
Its a yellow all day. Unless you suddenly started watching football five minutes before todays game. Its not ballet.

Kag

Its a yellow all day. Unless you suddenly started watching football five minutes before todays game. Its not ballet.
It wouldn’t look out of place in ballet; he lifted his leg high enough.

Cooper is a mug. It’s an absolutely brainless tackle and there was no need to go in like that to win it.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
If people want to argue that isn't a red then go for it but Cooper playing the ball first is utterly irrelevant. If the tackle is dangerous then playing the ball first doesn't matter in the slightest, you still get punished for the dangerous tackle.

FujiVice

First of all

LOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOOLOOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOL

Now that's out of the way, Liverpool got done there. Noway was that offside.

Also, LOLOLOLOL!!!!!