Refs & VAR 2020/2021 Discussion

Statue of Limitations

First of all

LOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOOLOOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOL

Now that's out of the way, Liverpool got done there. Noway was that offside.

Also, LOLOLOLOL!!!!!
+1 - happy who it hurt but objectively it is garbage.
And if that was v US I would probably have an aneurysm!! :D

Utd heap

Models for Coin.
No idea why people find this funny.

Look at the bigger picture, it's completely shit and making a mockery of the game.

Surely something has to happen?

arnie_ni

So can anyone explain why they looked at whether cash touched that?

I thought have after the mings City incident they clarified the rule so that a mis control incident like that or mings didn't count, but only a incident with a poor back pass was what the rule was intended to encompass?

Or is that not the case?

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
Not sure why this thread has been bumped? No reason for it whatsoever

:smirk:

NieThePiet

Supports
Werder Bremen, Arsenal
Why some don't understand, thats their job to do excactly this and as long this is the rule for close offsides, they have to do this.

Otherwise they would just manipulate the game.

arthurka

Why some don't understand, thats their job to do excactly this and as long this is the rule for close offsides, they have to do this.

Otherwise they would just manipulate the game.
Agree but it's shit non the less. It's only funny because it's Liverpool but dear me this is a shit system.

Utd heap

Models for Coin.
No idea at all? On a Man Utd forum? Really?

I second the opinions that objectively it was a(nother) shite call, but also HAHAHAHAHA
It's not funny, it's depressing.

The fact it happened to Liverpool is the only positive.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
The rules are shit. The people who apply the rules are shit. The people who operate VAR lack any common sense and are shit.

Var itself isn't the issue, but is making the issue much, much bigger because it's highlighting how inept the people operating it are and giving them replays and slowed down views to identify any tiny touch.

Dinghy

The only time VAR is working properly is in these offside situations. 1 millimeter offside is offside. In all the other situations it's completely random what to expect, if the situations will be reviewed, etc, but on offsides you have perfect decisions all the time and people are moaning like shit about it. Mental.

SalfordRed18

Netflix and avocado, no chill
Supports
Ashwood City FC
No idea why people find this funny.

Look at the bigger picture, it's completely shit and making a mockery of the game.

Surely something has to happen?
Got no idea why this might be funny on a united forum?

Utd heap

Models for Coin.
The only time VAR is working properly is in these offside situations. 1 millimeter offside is offside.
If that's how you want to watch the game then yes - the offside calls alongside goal line tech are the only ones not subjective.

Personally I hate the offside calls the most. I reckon in 5 years I wont be attending matches.

Bulldog United

That offside call is not even debatable. You're either offside or you're offside if you're Liverpool, it's really that simple. :drool:

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
So can anyone explain why they looked at whether cash touched that?

I thought have after the mings City incident they clarified the rule so that a mis control incident like that or mings didn't count, but only like a poor back pass was what the rule was meant to encompass?

Or is that not the case?
As I remember it the issue with the Mings one was that the offside player actively interfered with Mings' ability to play the ball by tackling him almost as soon as he had controlled it. So IFAB clarified that in situations like that, the offside should be given.

In this case Jota wasn't interfering with Cash's ability to play the ball, so it's a different scenario. More like this goal, which was rightly given:

If Cash had touched it, offside would similarly have been reset.

SalfordRed18

Supports
Ashwood City FC
I like football mate.

Don't patronise me with this 'how can you not find it funny' nonsense. I'm not 15, I love seeing Liverpool get beat, but properly.
Everyone here likes football here you're not special. It's quite obvious why people on a Manchester United forum would find that decision funny.

You're telling me you didn't giggle when they lost to Sunderland via a beach ball years ago? Because they weren't beat "properly" then.

Utd heap

Models for Coin.
Everyone here likes football here you're not special. It's quite obvious why people on a Manchester United forum would find that decision funny.

You're telling me you didn't giggle when they lost to Sunderland via a beach ball years ago? Because they weren't beat "properly" then.
It's not comparable, anyway yes Liverpool got fecked over by a rule that will slowly kill football as a live event.

loooooooool PMSL.

arnie_ni

As I remember it the issue with the Mings one was that the offside player actively interfered with Mings' ability to play the ball by tackling him almost as soon as he had controlled it. So IFAB clarified that in situations like that, the offside should be given.

In this case Jota wasn't interfering with Cash's ability to play the ball, so it's a different scenario. More like this goal, which was rightly given:

If Cash had touched it, offside would similarly have been reset.
Thanks for that explanation.

Still not convinced that's what the rule should be. The Newcastle player is only trying to cut that out because the player is behind him, who happens to be offside.

I think that's gaining an unfair advantage and should be flagged even with the attempted deliberate play of the ball there.

But that's not VAR or even the refs fault.

SalfordRed18

Supports
Ashwood City FC
It's not comparable, anyway yes Liverpool got fecked over by a rule that will slowly kill football as a live event.

loooooooool PMSL.
You can disagree with rule, be completely against it, and still laugh at Liverpool's misfortune. The two aren't mutually exclusive believe it or not. You've honestly got no point here.

Utd heap

Models for Coin.
You can disagree with rule, be completely against it, and still laugh and Liverpool's misfortune. The two aren't mutually exclusive believe it or not. You've honestly got no point here.
My point was about VAR! You and the other chap jumped on the laughing at Liverpool point!

Anyway we move on...

Until VAR does us at a crucial moment.

TheReligion

Abusive
Just watching Rugby League and why can't the PL emulate how they do things? Refs micd so you can understand their decision making and when they go to the video referee they talk you through their thought process and why and what they are giving.

It's the same in cricket actually and is utterly transparent.

It's no wonder people end up with all these conspiracy and corruption thoughts about football as there's a clear reluctance to be transparent and copy sports which do this so well, and have done for a long time.

R'hllor

Just watching Rugby League and why can't the PL emulate how they do things? Refs micd so you can understand their decision making and when they go to the video referee they talk you through their thought process and why and what they are giving.

It's no wonder people end up with all these conspiracy and corruption thoughts about football as there's a clear reluctance to be transparent and copy sports which do this so well, and have done for a long time.
Imagine that in PL with those incompetent clowns :lol:

arnie_ni

The biggest issue is probably the players disrespect towards the refs which rarely happens in those sports.

I wonder could you have an on off switch.

TheReligion

Abusive
The biggest issue is probably the players disrespect towards the refs which rarely happens in those sports.

I wonder could you have an on off switch.
Again though, just bring it in and players would soon adjust and it would make the game better. The foul mouthed gobshites would wilt.

Eugenius

I'm all for an objectively applied offside rule, but there should be a 'beyond reasonable doubt' type threshold in which you give the advantage to the attacker.

If you have to start splitting pixels to see if they're offside, just give the goal.

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout

Imagine getting to watch this on a TV screen, as many times as you want and from multiple angles... And coming to the conclusion it isn't a penalty.

I mean he's only kicked him in the head... Big dash.

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
Stuff like this is why we need to bring indirect free kick in the box back

It was a penalty. Foot at head height is a foul, period. It's dangerous play

Heinzesight

Piss take once again. Football is a joke.

For VAR to even look at it for what was nearly 4 minutes then send the ref to the screen then the ref to think it’s a foul is pathetic. The game is fecked if this shit carries on.

El Zoido

Can’t believe what’s happening to this sport. This is beyond a joke. I have no words for how awful that decision is.

hobbers

Football is being slaughtered by VAR.

Is it supposed to be clear and obvious incorrect decisions only? Nope, apparently not.

Spineless, incompetent referees following rules that are written by morons who change their minds on the regs at least 2 times a month.

This absolute shite, plus no fans, kills football as a spectacle. Cant even be fecked watching the rest of this.

cyberman

Son isnt in control of the ball, nowhere near it, the ref says its accidental and.. Its a foul? It was a flick to the fecking face

Lay

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
VAR is one of the reason I barely watch games now.

ha_rooney

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
I thought they only review “clear & obvious” errors? That was never an error, it was accidental contact & the ref didn’t deem it a foul in real time. The inconsistencies with the application of VAR are ridiculous.