Refs & VAR 2021/22

Doracle

I think it’s been a big improvement but tend to agree it feels it’s gone a little too far. Personally I’d have said the Bruno one was a very obvious foul and I suspect if the referee had looked at it again, he’d have given it. It definitely was the type of situation where I’d at least expect a small delay whilst they carefully considered it.

Alex99

Rehab's Pete Doherty

00:50 in the above highlights. Only two angles though.

Regarding the Bruno incident, I thought it was a clear arm/elbow shove in the back. Whether or not it should be overturned, I didn't see or hear any reference to a VAR check on it, which I thought was strange.
Bruno didn't shield the ball well enough and it was just a strong tackle from the side. If he'd got his body round more, then yes, but it wasn't really from the back at all.

Not convinced by that as a penalty shout either. James is between Saka and the ball and their legs just tangle. Saka wasn't round him at all.

NinjaZombie

Punched the air when Liverpool beat City
It was never a foul. It was weak from Bruno and I'm sick of his diving. He could've spun or passed it, instead he waited thinking he's automatically entitled to a free kick and he was blasted out of it by a strong fair tackle.

He needs to learn from it and stop being a wimp.
This. Ole needs a word. I love Bruno as much as the next guy, but his histrionics on the pitch annoys me.

I thought Saka was fouled myself. Would've made the game interesting.

Mike Smalling

Not convinced by that as a penalty shout either. James is between Saka and the ball and their legs just tangle. Saka wasn't round him at all.
To me it looks like Saka has the momentum to reach the ball, which James definitely does not. James steps inside to stop him and clips his leg. Looks a penalty to me, but obviously not a hill I'm willing to die on.

Alex99

Rehab's Pete Doherty
To me it looks like Saka has the momentum to reach the ball, which James definitely does not. James steps inside to stop him and clips his leg. Looks a penalty to me, but obviously not a hill I'm willing to die on.
It's why I've got no issue with VAR not intervening in these specific cases.

If the ref had blown up and awarded a foul on Bruno, no one would have batted an eye. Likewise, if he'd awarded Saka a penalty the debate surrounding it would have been relatively short lived.

They both could have gone either way, and in instances like that I'm quite happy for VAR to leave it to the ref.

As I said earlier though, it does seem after the Euros that no decisions are being reviewed, which is obviously a stark contrast to last season when seemingly everything was reviewed.

Edit: I think maybe the Saka incident is one of those where the ref looks at the monitor, but I could see him sticking to his decision.

UncleBob

Bruno being a bit of a soft cnut doesn't mean it's not a freekick. Stephens barges into Bruno and then uses his arm to give the extra push, then he takes the ball. Just the way he barges in warrants a freekick, the clearly visible push just makes even more laughable that nothing is awarded. The first two screenshots are before Stephens even touches the ball.

It's shit refereeing.

Gandalf

Definitely a foul but does not alter the fact that Bruno was playing for it. The refs are going to judge things differently this season and so we need to be aware when making decisions. I won't blame Bruno for yesterday, second game of the season and all, but if it happens again then it would be squarely on him for not recognizing the rule change.

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
Arguably went against us last week, and went for us this week.

I think neither were fouls for what it's worth.

cyberman

Touching a shin pad isn’t a foul and he doesn’t limp or fall until he sees the ref isnt blowing up

JB08

Searches for nude pics of Marcos Rojo
If you watch the spin of the ball, it is literal proof that Pogba touched the ball. Nobody can deny that (the ball is spinning towards Neves, which is physically impossible without it hitting Pogba’s foot).

I can still see an argument for it being a foul, but I’m not having anybody say that it didn’t hit Pogba’s foot.

padr81

Supports
Man City
Not a foul under the new rules imo, ball then man, not a lot of the ball but because he caught it high you can the kinda backspin on it and Pogba's foot goes over the top. Last season stone wall foul, this season not a foul. Its not reckless nor intentional nor out of control he just slides over the ball off his contact. Its a contact sport. Legit goal under the current interpretation.

Shane88

Actually Nostradamus
Feck off. At most, 4 millimetres of Pogba's boot brushed off the tip of Neves' boot.

The slo-mo reaction of him continuing to play on, realising that the ball is going to Varane and then looking at the ref with a faux-pained expression says everything. Pathetic cheat.

padr81

Supports
Man City
Feck off. At most, 4 millimetres of Pogba's boot brushed off the tip of Neves' boot.

The slo-mo reaction of him continuing to play on, realising that the ball is going to Varane and then looking at the ref with a faux-pained expression says everything. Pathetic cheat.
You can clearly see Pogba move his shin pad. Still not a foul and a legit goal but he definitely catches his shin.

Silas

How didn't they notice James completely take out Trincao for AWB's goal-line clearance?

kyofusho

The Pogba challenge was fine, it wasn't a foul. Neither was the challenge on Bruno during the last game.

As SS points out above though, the two-footed challenge by James on Trincao was somehow missed and was similar to Xhaka the Hacker's effort that got him red-carded. The consistency still isn't there, unfortunately.

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
The Pogba challenge was fine, it wasn't a foul. Neither was the challenge on Bruno during the last game.

As SS points out above though, the two-footed challenge by James on Trincao was somehow missed and was similar to Xhaka the Hacker's effort that got him red-carded. The consistency still isn't there, unfortunately.
I didn't even notice this during the game, so I went looking for it. Was this looked at by VAR at all? Seems like a huge oversight, if not.

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
Could it have been ignored because the contact took place over the end line?
I'm not really clear on the rules. Does it matter that it may have been an inch beyond the line? It doesn't even look like it was from this clip, but say that it was, does the foul not count?

simmee

I didn't even notice this during the game, so I went looking for it. Was this looked at by VAR at all? Seems like a huge oversight, if not.

I burst out laughing, what a tackle to make in your own box and you can see that James knows he fecked up as well :lol: To be fair I think it looks like he slipped, but that's a definite pen...

duffer

Sensible and not a complete jerk like most oppo's
Scout
"They didn't see it" is the only possible explanation for the Trincao/James incident not being given.

I can absolutely see that for the on-pitch ref but the VAR dudes not seeing it? That's insane.

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
"They didn't see it" is the only possible explanation for the Trincao/James incident not being given.

I can absolutely see that for the on-pitch ref but the VAR dudes not seeing it? That's insane.
The only thing in its favour is that those sort of incidents rarely get called as a pen for whatever inane reason.

But having said that, VAR should be here to ensure that those sort of incidents are pens.

It was weird that not a single Wolves player appealed, including Trincao himself.

duffer

Sensible and not a complete jerk like most oppo's
Scout

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout

I can't remember it exactly but did it lead to a Wolves chance and therefore advantage was played?

Yeah. There's a long history of him giving (what Chelsea fans consider) unfair decisions against us.

For example he gave this as a foul against Chelsea until VAR made him reverse the call.

Refs definitely hold grudges. Mike Dean loves to side with the underdog and hates teams with vocal players. Jon Moss hates teams that make him run. Twatkinson hates us over many years. Maybe Anthony Taylor has taken a dislike to some of your players or something.

Amar__

Geriatric lover and empath
Supports
MK Dons
So last night France vs Bosnia, we had intervention to check if the ball crossed the line for goal France apparently scored, but they didn't use goal line technology, but for some reason they used VAR and allowed the goal. It's not clear by any means, but I can't really understand the inconsistency in using the technology. Why not use goal line technology, Strasbourg stadium surely has goal line technology, why not use it?

5:12

saivet

So last night France vs Bosnia, we had intervention to check if the ball crossed the line for goal France apparently scored, but they didn't use goal line technology, but for some reason they used VAR and allowed the goal. It's not clear by any means, but I can't really understand the inconsistency in using the technology. Why not use goal line technology, Strasbourg stadium surely has goal line technology, why not use it?

5:12
They don't use goal line technology so the fall back option is to use VAR. Not sure what the reasons are though.

Recall Ronaldo scored for Portugal in qualifiers earlier this but the ref didn't give it even though it clearly crossed the line on replays. For those set of qualifiers neither goal line technology or VAR were in use.

Amar__

Geriatric lover and empath
Supports
MK Dons
They don't use goal line technology so the fall back option is to use VAR. Not sure what the reasons are though.

Recall Ronaldo scored for Portugal in qualifiers earlier this but the ref didn't give it even though it clearly crossed the line on replays. For those set of qualifiers neither goal line technology or VAR were in use.
Yeah, I am guessing they don't use it in qualifiers because not all stadiums have it, but what's the reasoning for not using it at the stadiums that have it? I don't see the logic, no one is using the advantage, it just helps out referees. But I guess it doesn't help bigger teams like France, etc., that 10-20 years later still get decisions like these given for them.

Erics_Collar

Pogba yellow was actually one of the worst decisions I've seen in a long time. How!?!

Can you appeal a yellow?

Shimo

How the hell was Sancho shot not reviewed? It was a clear handball - same one given in the Crystal Palace game - hand was way out and blocked shot on target too.

Never a red in the Leeds Liverpool game. Have they gone too far the other way and are just not using VAR when they should be doing?

Amarsdd

Snappy wrong decisions are better than making a correct decision by taking a little longer. Is this what VAR is being praised for this season?

ha_rooney

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
feck VAR. That second one was a foul.