Refs & VAR 2021/22

So will Tierney be dropped next week for that horror show?

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout

VAR saw this and somehow thought it wasn't worthy of a review, despite the ref clearly not seeing at all (as he didn't even give a yellow...)

Behind the right goal post as "Whiteside shoots!"

VAR saw this and somehow thought it wasn't worthy of a review, despite the ref clearly not seeing at all (as he didn't even give a yellow...)
Two red cards for me. The fouls worse than the block … it actually looks like he’s forcing his arm through in a forearm smash (also lucky his foot didn’t get him). Really aggressive tackle, looked like he wanted to deck him anyway possible

Mb194dc

Supports
Chelsea
Neither looks particularly good, would like to see higher resolution video as the second one is blurry and can't see the challenge well at all.

cyberman

Right, that’s enough. We need to see replays of what the refs are seeing.

Shnabb

Can't understand the logic of watching a closeup of the refs face for one minute instead of showing some replays of the incidents. Annoying as hell.

Mb194dc

Supports
Chelsea
What was the deal with Felipe's red card yesterday..? Got shown a yellow, then a straight red. UEFA have said the red was for the tackle, what was the yellow for then? It didn't go to VAR I think.

I think it's got to be a mistake by the referee essentially. Another one involving Liverpool, who'd have thunk it. Seems like they line up with 12 nearly every match.

What was the deal with Felipe's red card yesterday..? Got shown a yellow, then a straight red. UEFA have said the red was for the tackle, what was the yellow for then? It didn't go to VAR I think.

I think it's got to be a mistake by the referee essentially. Another one involving Liverpool, who'd have thunk it. Seems like they line up with 12 nearly every match.
Commentators seemed to think the ref upgraded it to a red because Felipe pissed him off by ignoring the yellow.

DoubleDinhos

Liverpool Fan
Maybe I'm fooled by the slow-mo but it looked like Felipe raked his studs down Mane's heel as he was fouling him. It was probably more of an orange card than anything but it was a bit worse than the usual tactical foul trip.

Mb194dc

Supports
Chelsea
Commentators seemed to think the ref upgraded it to a red because Felipe pissed him off by ignoring the yellow.
That's what it looks like when you watch it, UEFA have said it's for the tackle though. Pretty standard tactical foul on initial viewing, if the card has been upgraded from Yellow to Red, why hasn't the referee gone to look at it again?

That's what it looks like when you watch it, UEFA have said it's for the tackle though. Pretty standard tactical foul on initial viewing, if the card has been upgraded from Yellow to Red, why hasn't the referee gone to look at it again?
I think the red is still for the tackle, he has just decided its a red instead of a yellow. Referees can change their decision as long as the game hasn't restarted.

Withnail

I think the red is still for the tackle, he has just decided its a red instead of a yellow. Referees can change their decision as long as the game hasn't restarted.
On what grounds would he upgrade it when he hadn't seen it again?

Can VAR just tell him it's a red?

I don't trust Uefa's explanation at all. It smacks of a cover story.

On what grounds would he upgrade it when he hadn't seen it again?

Can VAR just tell him it's a red?

I don't trust Uefa's explanation at all. It smacks of a cover story.
He can change it if he realises he has made an incorrect decision, or an assistant/VAR tells him he has. I'm guessing he was split between a yellow and a red and gave Felipe the benefit of the doubt as it was early in the game. Then when Felipe turned his back on him he decided he would give a red after all. Until play restarts he can change his mind for any reason.

Withnail

He can change it if he realises he has made an incorrect decision, or an assistant/VAR tells him he has. I'm guessing he was split between a yellow and a red and gave Felipe the benefit of the doubt as it was early in the game. Then when Felipe turned his back on him he decided he would give a red after all. Until play restarts he can change his mind for any reason.
That's what everyone thinks he did, rather than the official explanation and it's not right.

You can't arbitrarily upgrade a tackle from a yellow to a straight red due to some other event.

That's what everyone thinks he did, rather than the official explanation and it's not right.

You can't arbitrarily upgrade a tackle from a yellow to a straight red due to some other event.
Unfortunately, you can. The tackle was worthy of either card so he was free to change it on reflection. He didn't change it because Felipe showed dissent or some other offence, he changed it because Felipe pissed him off. It's not good refereeing, but it is within the law.

Withnail

Unfortunately, you can. The tackle was worthy of either card so he was free to change it on reflection. He didn't change it because Felipe showed dissent or some other offence, he changed it because Felipe pissed him off. It's not good refereeing, but it is within the law.
I agree he can change his mind if it's borderline but the motivation for changing his mind should not be an emotional one.

I can't imagine that is within the law. Of course there's no way to prove it so in the situation he can write something suitable in his report and we'll hear no more about.

Dumbstar

We got another woman hater here.
Supports
Liverpool
I didn't watch the game or the incident. So are you saying the ref was about to give Felipe a yellow and a very stern talking to that he is a lucky boy it's not a red therefore to calm down. Felipe refused to receive that stern talking so the ref decided Felipe's head was gone and he was definitely about to badly injure someone else if he continued?

In such a short space of time that's a good, and brave, decision. Imagine if Salah or Fabinho were put out for the season because Atletico were pretty much done and they wanted a world class trophy head in Simeone's summer house. Richarlison on Thiago at the end of that game last season comes to mind. :mad:

Annihilate Now!

Scout
This ignoring the yellow card seems ridiculous to me

Players literally walk away from being booked all the time, espeically when its professional fouls like that. I've seen players be shown the yellow card whilst full on sprinting back to position - and considering the challenge really didn't warrant a red, I think the ref was just being a bit of a tosser.

Annihilate Now!

Scout
That Hause elbow, looked at VAR and deemed not worthy of a red card is one of the most ridiculous decisions ever
I don't know how anyone can watch that and not think its a red. It's made worse by the fact that the ref didn't see it - so it's not like VAR were sticking with the onfield call, there was no onfield call to stick with!

I didn't watch the game or the incident. So are you saying the ref was about to give Felipe a yellow and a very stern talking to that he is a lucky boy it's not a red therefore to calm down. Felipe refused to receive that stern talking so the ref decided Felipe's head was gone and he was definitely about to badly injure someone else if he continued?

In such a short space of time that's a good, and brave, decision. Imagine if Salah or Fabinho were put out for the season because Atletico were pretty much done and they wanted a world class trophy head in Simeone's summer house. Richarlison on Thiago at the end of that game last season comes to mind. :mad:
Yes, he was writing on the yellow card and about to show it, but Felipe wouldn't come over to him so he turned his card wallet over and pulled out the red.

He was being influenced by either his anger at Felipe or the players crowding him. Either one makes for the kind of bad refereeing not unusual at Anfield.

Dumbstar

Supports
Liverpool
Yes, he was writing on the yellow card and about to show it, but Felipe wouldn't come over to him so he turned his card wallet over and pulled out the red.

He was being influenced by either his anger at Felipe or the players crowding him. Either one makes for the kind of bad refereeing not unusual at Anfield.
No. You didn't read what I said.

The ref made a decision on Felipe's mental state, tried to calm him down, found him unwilling therefore a danger to other players and correctly changed his decision.

Agree?

Hastar

Supports
Liverpool
Felipe's Red was a joke. It was more to do with the Ref's ego.
He should have given him a yellow and warned him.

No. You didn't read what I said.

The ref made a decision on Felipe's mental state, tried to calm him down, found him unwilling therefore a danger to other players and correctly changed his decision.

Agree?
OK, but that's not what happened. Felipe walked off and refused to come over to the referee when he was being asked. The referee was just pissed off he wasn't being obeyed.

Longshanks

Technically no, but it depends how the referee views the tackle.

You see if he deems it as a trip with an attempt to play the ball than it is a cautionary offence.

But if he sees it as there being no attempt to play the ball than its violent conduct which is a sending off offence.

Now the referee can choose how he sees the incident, and by the book it is violent conduct there is zero attempt to play the ball and Felipe strikes Mane. But the ref i suspect was going to treat it as a tripping offence but he wanted to have a word with with the offender before booking. He blew the whistle 3 times and asked the come to him, the player choose not to and showed a lack of respect towards the referee, acting like a petulant child that doesn't want to get told off. I suspect the referee was willing to have that leniency up until Felipe showed him a complete lack of respect.

I think blatant tacital fouls should be red cards anyway it should go along the same lines as deliberate hand ball, blatant cheating so I have no problem with the red card anyway.

Dumbstar

Supports
Liverpool
OK, but that's not what happened. Felipe walked off and refused to come over to the referee when he was being asked. The referee was just pissed off he wasn't being obeyed.
But you and others above said it could have been a straight red for the challenge anyway, before his strop. So the ref was going to give him a yellow to calm him down. He refused to be calmed down.

Mb194dc

Supports
Chelsea
But you and others above said it could have been a straight red for the challenge anyway, before his strop. So the ref was going to give him a yellow to calm him down. He refused to be calmed down.
That maybe the case. The issue is UEFA are saying the red is for the tackle, not for dissent. Why say that if the red was for dissent?

Understandably the player is concerned about leaving his position and the free kick then being taken. It's something that happens in a lot of games. I can't recall a player getting a yellow then a straight red in the way happened yesterday in any prior game I've seen.

I'm pretty certain it's a mistake by the referee or VAR procedure.

Dumbstar

Supports
Liverpool
That maybe the case. The issue is UEFA are saying the red is for the tackle, not for dissent. Why say that if the red was for dissent?

Understandably the player is concerned about leaving his position and the free kick then being taken. It's something that happens in a lot of games. I can't recall a player getting a yellow then a straight red in the way happened yesterday in any prior game I've seen.

I'm pretty certain it's a mistake by the referee or VAR procedure.
I've seen clips now. Have to admit it looked a weird way of doing it. But as has been mentioned above the ref has the prerogative to change his mind before restart.

The player may be concerned about his positioning but when a ref whistles clearly three times and you still don't listen while everyone in the stadium is waiting then that's clear dissent. Should have been two yellows.

Still a red was the right decision whichever way it's seen. Uefa are probably going with the original offence committed line to move on as it's probably not a hill for anyone (Atletico, etc) to die on.

kiristao

Can't remember the last time a ref was asked to have a look on the screen and stuck to his original decision.

Mb194dc

Supports
Chelsea
Can't remember the last time a ref was asked to have a look on the screen and stuck to his original decision.
Should have done today? Everton penalty overturned today, clear and obvious error? Really, not seeing Lloris get anything much on the ball and takes the man out. Everton also lose the opportunity to shoot at an open goal with LLoris on the edge of his area because the referee whistles then overturns it. Totally ridiculous!

Everton then get a VAR red card later in the game. Guess this will be the usual for Spurs game for the rest of the season?

Kag

VAR is redundant when it’s being operated by imbeciles, isn’t it?

The technology has only exacerbated the issue of shit refereeing.

Amar__

Geriatric lover and empath
Supports
MK Dons
And they kept repeating the worst possible angle to the ref on the screen which convinced him it was a penalty. I swear they wanted to make it look like it was entirely keeper's fault.

One Night Only

Prison Bitch #24604
Wouldn't be a bad system if we didn't have a bunch of feckin bananas operating the thing. Referees who are clueless. They're supposed to be the best refs in the country? Jesus, I'd hate to see the worst.

Klopper76

"Did you see Fabinho against Red Star & Cardiff?"
Supports
Liverpool
I think whoever is on VAR should have to explain decisions like that. What’s the logic behind it, interpretation of the rules etc.