Refs & VAR 2021/22

Swedish_Plumber

Mic them up and the amount of shite decisions will miraculously go down. Everyone involved need to be held accountable.

Not just because of today but the amount of shite that’s gone on since it’s implementation is staggering. They give a decision like that today but allow more substantial fouls go?

Rob

Supports
Liverpool
Yeah, VAR is still terrible. Wish they’d realize that no one likes it and that it makes football incredibly frustrating to watch and drop it.

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
I mean I'll call it the worst VAR decision I can remember but it's the combined idiot of who's on VAR and Kevin Friend who's to blame rather than the technology itself

Amar__

Geriatric lover and empath
Supports
MK Dons
I think whoever is on VAR should have to explain decisions like that. What’s the logic behind it, interpretation of the rules etc.
It was Friend who decided it. He is either corrupt, or incompetent to refereee a football match if that's a penalty for him. It's pretty simple.

Anyone blaming technology for this is obviously very stupid. Technology isn't officiating football match and making decisions.

VivaRonaldo85

You would think two qualified premier league referees would be having a simple conversation along the lines of, “has the attacker lost control of the ball (yes), has the attacker subsequently moved in a false direction knowing the ball is gone (yes), has the goalkeeper made a false movement towards the ball or player (no)”. The on field ref then just looks at a ridiculous angle with no in play context and is compelled to give it with the var putting doubt in his mind when it was clear and obvious to the on field ref it wasn’t a penalty first time round. The application of the var system and it’s users are not fit for purpose!

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
And they kept repeating the worst possible angle to the ref on the screen which convinced him it was a penalty. I swear they wanted to make it look like it was entirely keeper's fault.
Yeah I noticed that too.

VivaRonaldo85

It was Friend who decided it. He is either corrupt, or incompetent to refereee a football match if that's a penalty for him. It's pretty simple.

Anyone blaming technology for this is obviously very stupid. Technology isn't officiating football match and making decisions.
But Friend got the decision right live. It’s the fool watching silly angles on a screen somewhere that has effectively instigated a change of on field decision.

arthurka

I would like to hear Klopp's take on this he always has a very good perspective on these things.

arnie_ni

Also seeing this.

How is this not offside, when he tries to win a header from an offside position and forces the last defender to challenge him and not the player free at the back?

Behind the right goal post as "Whiteside shoots!"
But the good thing is the ref will give an interview post game and explain his decision. Then the head of the PL referees will consider the decision and decide if they should ref next week.

And United will win the league this season… and I’ll have an affair with Ana de Armas… and then I’ll win the lottery, three weeks in succession.

Bobski

Mental that's given
Was that given for the contact with the keeper or the little flick the defender tries.

Neither is a pen but if it is the first then my goodness, that might be the softest pen I have ever seen.

One Night Only

Prison Bitch #24604

Those in the VAR cabin could have decided it. There's 3 of them isn't there?

Mb194dc

Supports
Chelsea

Mental that's given
Strange one, the keeper is allowed his space on the pitch. What's he supposed to do, dive out of the way?

VAR made a mistake in who moved in to who?

arnie_ni

Was that given for the contact with the keeper or the little flick the defender tries.

Neither is a pen but if it is the first then my goodness, that might be the softest pen I have ever seen.
The keeper from what I'm seeing online.

No on really knows because we can't hear their coveraations. Such an easy fix

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
Also seeing this.

How is this not offside, when he tries to win a header from an offside position and forces the last defender to challenge him and not the player free at the back?
That should have been offside too. Palace have been robbed. Farcical game.

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
Refs are crap, what else is new.

Nothing will beat that penalty Newcastle weren't given the other week for Ederson actually wiping someone out though. That was definitely the worst.

TrustInJanuzaj

'Liverpool are a proper club'
Also seeing this.

Haven’t seen this but surely this is equally scandalous.

arnie_ni

Nothing will beat that penalty Newcastle weren't given the other week for Ederson actually wiping someone out though. That was definitely the worst.
That's the maddening thing. That one wasn't given and this one was.

Ederson wiped out the Newcastle player and jota jumps into the keeper.

If you showed those two clips to a million people for the first time and asked them to answer which one was given as a pen you'd have a million incorrect answers.

Shipperley

Supports
CPFC
The second goal annoyed me even more than the penalty tbh, they’d be pouring over it looking for a reason to disallow it if we score that

arnie_ni

Haven’t seen this but surely this is equally scandalous.

Apparently he didn't impact the defender who jumps with firmino to make sure he doesn't have a free header on goal leaving the eventual goal scorer wide open.

TrustInJanuzaj

'Liverpool are a proper club'
Tear up the rule book. Sack the lot of these refs and start again. This is one of the richest industries in the world and we just have to put up with absolute incompetence. Part of me thinks the Premier League / FA enjoy the drama to add to the discussion and controversy. Complete farce.

arnie_ni

Reply 2

Apparently both these incidents had craig pawson on VAR which makes it even worse

Mb194dc

Supports
Chelsea

Apparently he didn't impact the defender who jumps with firmino to make sure he doesn't have a free header on goal leaving the eventual goal scorer wide open.
Just watched it. Should be offside as soon as he jumps to try and play the ball.

Josep Dowling

Tear up the rule book. Sack the lot of these refs and start again. This is one of the richest industries in the world and we just have to put up with absolute incompetence. Part of me thinks the Premier League / FA enjoy the drama to add to the discussion and controversy. Complete farce.
I think this as well because I can’t understand how some of these refs get away with doing such a poor job. 95% of football fans would say that’s never a penalty, surely a qualified ref should know that isn’t a penalty as well. Wouldn’t surprise me if they want Liverpool to win their games in hand to create some sign of a title race.

Longshanks

Wow that penalty decision is something else. Jota 100% plays for it, its why he has an air shot because he slows down and moves towards the keeper to make sure there is contact.

Whats truly remarkable is the original decision was correct and they have somehow decided to overturn it. Based on what? Nobody knows didn't realise if you have an air kick lose control of the ball and run into an opposition player that is now classed as a foul. What on earth is the keeper meant to do there? Stay on his line and allow jota time a space to bring it down and pick his spot, or anticipate that jota would have an air kick and collect the ball before it goes out of play!?