Regan Poole

Sid234

Yes, plus Van Gaal deliberately reduced the size of the squad precisely because he prefers to call on youngsters to fill gaps rather than having a lot of fringe senior players just sitting around waiting for injuries. Obviously he couldn't have predicted the depth of this injury crisis but nonetheless playing all these kids hasn't been forced on him anywhere near as much as people are suggesting.
Yeah, He could have been playing McNair at RB all these weeks or Blind at LB and moved Carrick to cb.

I think he deserves credit for trusting the youngsters and giving them a shot when many other managers would have tried to improvise with new tactics or play people out of position

RedMachine03

Poster of Articles
Regan Poole says he would like a loan spell away from Manchester United next season.

The 18-year-old made his senior debut for United in February 2016.

And, while he hasn’t featured under Jose Mourinho, he has been a regular for the u23 side throughout the 2016-2017 season.

Poole is loving life in Manchester but he admits he would like to play in the Football League again after making his Exiles debut as a 16-year-old in 2014.

“I’ve settled in pretty well, I’ve been there nearly two years now and it gets easier because you seem to find your feet every day more and more.

“We’ve had a decent season and I’m looking forward to next season. I don’t really know what’s going on with me next season.

“We haven’t really had a chat about it. I suppose that will happen after the summer now.

“I’m looking forward to this tournament and then a little holiday with my family and then getting back to the hard work again.

“I would like to get out on loan, I miss playing in the League and there was nothing better than playing in the League.

“It’s a tough one because I’m developing under the best coaches in the world at United and it’s all about what the club wants and what they think is best for me.

“I’m developing every day. The coaching and the training and the facilities we have is another level. It’s out of this world.

“Coming from Newport and what I had there, sometimes you have to just step back and think ‘I’m a very lucky boy’.

“I couldn’t be developing in any better way because I have everything there for me.”

[Source: barryanddistrictnews.co.uk]

khoazany

Hope he goes on loan in the summer. Even without him and Tuanzebe we would still have Williams, Warren, Scott and O'Connor, should be enough.

RedMachine03

Poster of Articles
Northampton Town have signed Manchester United central defender Regan Poole on a season long loan deal.

The talented defender began his career at Newport County, earning rave reviews in 15 appearances and attracting the interest of a host of top clubs, before he made the move to Old Trafford at the end of the August 2015 transfer window for a six figure fee. He made his United debut as a substitute in the 2015/16 last 32 Europa League game against Midtjylland.

Poole has also represented Wales from under 17 to under 21 level.

"Regan is a player I know well from my time at Newport County and he is an exceptionally talented player," said manager Justin Edinburgh.

"I gave him his debut as a 16 year old and he is a player with a fantastic temperament and someone who is well ahead of his years.

"He is a central defender who is comfortable on the ball. He is strong, he leaps well and he has all the attributes to be a top, top player. He is mobile and he will complement the other defenders we have at the club well.

"We are delighted he has committed to spend the season with us and I am very pleased to welcome Regan to the club.

“I think we have made some very strong signings this week and while work to strengthen the squad will continue, I am delighted with our recruitment so far.”

limerickcitykid

There once was a kid from Toronto...
Good move that with the manager being his former Newport one. Also good to see the deal done early, get to Northampton and use their preseason to familiarize himself and hopefully he can grab a spot from the start. I think he is a good CB who goes under the radar a little bit with our other big names getting the attention.

WhoDaGOAT

Not sure Regan Poole's move to United was worth it for him, he was playing senior football before he joined and then junior football after.
You can pick up bad habits at smaller clubs, with less knowledgeable coaches.

No 17 year old should be playing that regularly anyway, to be honest.

He's still young now and has already had a taste of senior football, so hopefully this loan move works out for him. 30 odd starts will benefit him greatly.

Acole9

Outstanding
Good luck to him for the coming season. Meant to be quite a prospect apparently. I was quite surprised he wasn't selected for the Palace match, unless he was injured.

Classical Mechanic

So he’s back to the level he was playing aged 16 when he signed for us. I think he’s an example of why young players shouldn’t sign for big clubs to play in the reserves.

Thiagoal

I'm from Northampton and whenever I saw him play for the Cobblers I was very underwhelmed! His U23 performances have also been dire; should move permanently to get his career moving forward again!

kundalini

On loan to Newport County.

I wish him all the best....but another loan deal makes no sense for me.....just sell him.
During this summer's transfer window, Transfermarkt lists League Two clubs paying fees for 3 players in total, League One clubs 5 players, Championship 64 players. If a League Two or League One club wanted Regan Poole on a permanent basis, they'd wait until he was released by United.

So he’s back to the level he was playing aged 16 when he signed for us. I think he’s an example of why young players shouldn’t sign for big clubs to play in the reserves.
Regan Poole was on a scholar's deal at Newport. At that time, they paid their regular first team players between £500 and £700 a week. Contracts were either one or two years. A 4 year deal at United, with a salary likely to be £2K a week or possibly higher, would be very difficult to turn down unless he comes from a wealthy family. The risk of an injury ending your career is simply too great to ignore the financial aspect.

If he had similar financial offers from clubs prepared to play him in their first team, then that might have been a more sensible move than U23 football.

While his move to United hasn't turned out how he might have hoped, he did make his debut and he also got 18 starts on loan in League One for Northampton. He'll be 21 in the summer.

Last edited:

Classical Mechanic

What are you suggesting, we don't sign 16/17 year olds that don't get picked up earlier, or we stick them straight in the first-team squad ??
No. I'm suggesting that kids like Poole would be better of sticking at their lower level clubs. Its a trend we're already seeing. Daniel Adshead turned down all the major English clubs, Bayern and Barca to stay with Rochdale because many are starting to see that they have a better chance of developing that way.

The England squad that went to the recent world cup had loads of players that came up through the lower leagues.

limerickcitykid

There once was a kid from Toronto...
No. I'm suggesting that kids like Poole would be better of sticking at their lower level clubs. Its a trend we're already seeing. Daniel Adshead turned down all the major English clubs, Bayern and Barca to stay with Rochdale because many are starting to see that they have a better chance of developing that way.

The England squad that went to the recent world cup had loads of players that came up through the lower leagues.
And yet the England squad still had more players from PL academies with the others mainly coming from 2-3 lower league clubs with top tier academies like Sheffield United.

There is no proof that they have a better chance of developing that way. There is no proof playing lower league football a year or two earlier outweighs the benefit of world class training over second-rate training. The top leagues are filled with Manchester United academy graduates and other top clubs. How many from Rochdale, Newport, Barnsley etc? Daniel Adshead has accomplished nothing and proves nothing. What about all the countless others who turned down big clubs and then were never heard of again? Jose Baxter turned down a renewal with Everton for first team football, where is he? Mats Daehli turned down us in favour of moving for first team football. Where is he? Max Clayton, Forster-Caskey, Sam Magri, Tristan Plummer? The list goes on and on. How many teenagers break through at League 1/2 clubs and touted as the next best thing and within a couple years are playing non-league? Countless. Regan Poole played a few games for Newport and was quite heavily criticized by some of their fans. There is no proof at all that he even would have made it had he stayed there.

Class of 63

Sourness
Going through the Desert on a Horse with no Name

I hear what you're saying, but I can't think of anybody else since Lee Sharpe(circa 88) that we've signed at a similar age(16/17) that has already debuted in the Football League when we signed them. So it's not as though we are making a habit of it.

Classical Mechanic

And yet the England squad still had more players from PL academies with the others mainly coming from 2-3 lower league clubs with top tier academies like Sheffield United.

There is no proof that they have a better chance of developing that way. There is no proof playing lower league football a year or two earlier outweighs the benefit of world class training over second-rate training. The top leagues are filled with Manchester United academy graduates and other top clubs. How many from Rochdale, Newport, Barnsley etc? Daniel Adshead has accomplished nothing and proves nothing. What about all the countless others who turned down big clubs and then were never heard of again? Jose Baxter turned down a renewal with Everton for first team football, where is he? Mats Daehli turned down us in favour of moving for first team football. Where is he? Max Clayton, Forster-Caskey, Sam Magri, Tristan Plummer? The list goes on and on. How many teenagers break through at League 1/2 clubs and touted as the next best thing and within a couple years are playing non-league? Countless. Regan Poole played a few games for Newport and was quite heavily criticized by some of their fans. There is no proof at all that he even would have made it had he stayed there.
There is no proof in each individual case but young players are looking to move abroad and stay with lower league sides as opposed to joining major Premier League clubs more and more, as they have lost faith in those clubs to develop them.

United failed to sign every single one of the highly rated England U17s this summer they went for with only Sam Greenwood IIRC joining Arsenal I think. The rest either went abroad or stayed put.

edit: City got Ben Knight too.

yumtum

DUX' bumchum

Reuben Noble-Lazarus done the same thing when he was 15/16 being highly sought after by the big clubs, now he's in the 6th tier of English football at 25, I'm sure looking back he'd change that decision.

Can go either way really.

jb8521

There is no proof in each individual case but young players are looking to move abroad and stay with lower league sides as opposed to joining major Premier League clubs more and more, as they have lost faith in those clubs to develop them.

United failed to sign every single one of the highly rated England U17s this summer they went for with only Sam Greenwood IIRC joining Arsenal I think. The rest either went abroad or stayed put.

edit: City got Ben Knight too.
Just because United get linked to players in the press doesn't mean that we've actually gone for them. It's a fairly old tactic for agents to contact the press with a story about how United or other big clubs are after their clients when there's no actual interest or if clubs have asked for information about the players but then moved onto other targets. As far as I know the only 2 England u17s we had interest in were Greenwood & Bondswell. Greenwood decided to choose Arsenal & after initial interest in Bondswell we moved on & signed Devine instead

Salt Bailly

Auburn, not Ginger.
Currently impressing for Newport at Wembley. Only realised it was our Poole at around the hour mark!

Let's hope they can progress and he can continue his development in league one.

Thiagoal

Currently impressing for Newport at Wembley. Only realised it was our Poole at around the hour mark!

Let's hope they can progress and he can continue his development in league one.
He's 21 and so far below Premiership level! I think L1/2 is his level! Expect him to be released this summer

Kaglish10

He's 21 and so far below Premiership level! I think L1/2 is his level! Expect him to be released this summer
He looked good against an almost full strength Mancity in the FA cup. I think he's a fantastic potential.

Salt Bailly

Auburn, not Ginger.
I had no idea he was that old... I guess that explains why we're shipping him out this summer, judging by today's news.