Relegated Bargains?

groovyalbert

it's a mute point
Ake is the only name that really sticks out as an option for the top teams.

Shame Villa or West Ham didn't go down for the bargain hunts.

diarm

The only player I'd take for United is Ake, think he's a good player who is ready for the step up.

In terms of players for other clubs, Crystal Palace or alike should snap up Troy Deeney, he's a proper leader.

Brooks, Doucoure and Cantwell will get good moves but the rest will go down with their clubs.
My Villa supporting mate is mad for them to sign him.

Web of Bissaka

Bournemouth -- Brooks and Ake (King Jan next year)
Watford -- Sarr
Norwich -- Cantwell, Godfrey

I like Doucore, but we don't need him. He is best attacking so CMF than playing DMF. Don't see why we should get a good 27 year old squad player, better younger.

CF - King
RW - Sarr
CAM - Cantwell, Brooks
CB - Ake, Godfrey

:devil: Bargains, get them all!

Inigo Montoya

Leave Wayne Rooney alone!!
Sarr- astonishing pace and strength. Puts James to shame
Cantwell- impressed me every time.
Buendia- very skilful
Godfrey- developing CB
King- great back up,quick. Better option than Ighalo

Nou_Camp99

what would Souness do?
Sarr and Lewis for me. Really like the look of Jamal Lewis. Think he'd be a good foil for Shaw. Brandon looks lost on his left foot. I think i'd get rid of Dalot and move Brandon over to the right to compete with AWB so he's on his natural right side. Wouldn't shock me to see him go ahead of him either.

Zelex

l am not really sure what people see in Sarr. I agree that he has good physical attributes and would probably be a better option than James, however I think many would find him an extremely frustrating. Technically inconsistent from what I've seen from him.

I think Brooks would be a decent signing (although I'm thinking more about his pre-injury form).

Craig Ward

Sarr- astonishing pace and strength. Puts James to shame
Cantwell- impressed me every time.
Buendia- very skilful
Godfrey- developing CB
King- great back up,quick. Better option than Ighalo
Sarr- astonishing pace and strength. Puts James to shame. To add: criminally inconsistent, no end product. Doesnt seem to have the basic footballing ability to make it at a top top club. One to avoid
Cantwell- impressed me every time. To add: Inconsistent. In and out of a poor Norwich team. Some good moments, overall not good enough to make the step up to a club like ours
Buendia- very skilful. To add: Looks a hardworking player, some good traits. Would do well in a better team/environment than Norwich. Not the worst shout for us, but surely our targets would be of a higher standard
Godfrey- developing CB. To add: He is developing, he looks half decent. Very over worked in a team that gets battered most week. Not better than anything we have. Probably a good target for West Ham/Newcastle
King- great back up,quick. Better option than Ighalo. To add: Talented. Works hard, probably deserves to stay in the prem. Would do well in a better team. an option

Also hear Brooks mentioned. For me, he looks a talent but similar to Buendia, not sure if he's what we are looking for right now.

Sancho and Grealish are the stand out targets and rightly so. We should be after a DM rather than scouting relegation teams for bargains anyway.

Ake is the only high quality relegated player, and he looks like he's off to City

Inigo Montoya

Sarr- astonishing pace and strength. Puts James to shame. To add: criminally inconsistent, no end product. Doesnt seem to have the basic footballing ability to make it at a top top club. One to avoid
Cantwell- impressed me every time. To add: Inconsistent. In and out of a poor Norwich team. Some good moments, overall not good enough to make the step up to a club like ours
Buendia- very skilful. To add: Looks a hardworking player, some good traits. Would do well in a better team/environment than Norwich. Not the worst shout for us, but surely our targets would be of a higher standard
Godfrey- developing CB. To add: He is developing, he looks half decent. Very over worked in a team that gets battered most week. Not better than anything we have. Probably a good target for West Ham/Newcastle
King- great back up,quick. Better option than Ighalo. To add: Talented. Works hard, probably deserves to stay in the prem. Would do well in a better team. an option

Also hear Brooks mentioned. For me, he looks a talent but similar to Buendia, not sure if he's what we are looking for right now.

Sancho and Grealish are the stand out targets and rightly so. We should be after a DM rather than scouting relegation teams for bargains anyway.

Ake is the only high quality relegated player, and he looks like he's off to City
Cheers for that. I didn't think this was about dissing everyone's choices,unless you want to be consistent and go back and cut and paste your opinions for everyone that has mentioned the names above.

I think the thread was, who of the relegated teams' players we should go for. I don't believe Sancho and Grealish fit that category and unless you've been living underground for the last year...we kinda knew they are the type of buys we should be after.

Craig Ward

Cheers for that. I didn't think this was about dissing everyone's choices,unless you want to be consistent and go back and cut and paste your opinions for everyone that has mentioned the names above.

I think the thread was, who of the relegated teams' players we should go for. I don't believe Sancho and Grealish fit that category and unless you've been living underground for the last year...we kinda knew they are the type of buys we should be after.
Your welcome.

Its not dissing - just adding more realistic context.

Its ok to have opinions and disagree you know. Cheer up a little.

Im aware of the thread - We shouldnt focus our attention on bargains from relegated team. We're a much bigger club than that.

Apart from Ake - no names are really worth serious discussion. Maybe J.King, maybe Buendia but unlikely.

Inigo Montoya

Your welcome.

Its not dissing - just adding more realistic context.

Its ok to have opinions and disagree you know. Cheer up a little.

Im aware of the thread - We shouldnt focus our attention on bargains from relegated team. We're a much bigger club than that.

Apart from Ake - no names are really worth serious discussion. Maybe J.King, maybe Buendia but unlikely.
We're also on budget. We can spend in excess of £100m on Sancho but there's not going to be much left to get international class players, hence the thread. They are worth serious discussion and I'm sure that will be happening right now with the coaches. Which players have impressed them and the players?

It's obvious we're a bigger club but if Liverpool can get a Robertson etc from lower down, why can't we? Who's to say the players mentioned can't function in a team of Utd's stature? We've done it before

Walrus

Oppressed White Male
No mention of Josh King as a backup striker?

Also Deulofeu is a good player and would be a good rotation option.

SambaBoy

I'd probably take King as back-up, replacement for Ighalo. Someone to come on for the last 15-20minutes if need be, put pressure on defences and utilise his pace. Can also cover the wings if need be. That would be a shrewd signing. Jamal Lewis to compete with Shaw might be a good option. He's young and talented and may develop into a top player. I'm comfortable with Shaw as a LB, I think he's solid and half decent going forward. I wouldn't be spending £40-60m to replace him just yet but when he is injured, we need a more able back-up than Williams who has done well this season but is always going to struggle being naturally right footed.

Dalot clearly isn't in favour so ship him out. Buy Lewis and then have RB: AWB/Williams, LB: Shaw/Lewis. Forward positions: James, Martial, Rashford, Sancho, Greenwood, King is a good blend of starters, youth and options to rotate in the league and cups. Then focus on a CB and DM if we have the budget.

Craig Ward

We're also on budget. We can spend in excess of £100m on Sancho but there's not going to be much left to get international class players, hence the thread. They are worth serious discussion and I'm sure that will be happening right now with the coaches. Which players have impressed them and the players?

It's obvious we're a bigger club but if Liverpool can get a Robertson etc from lower down, why can't we? Who's to say the players mentioned can't function in a team of Utd's stature? We've done it before
Players are only worth discussion if they are good enough and are able to significantly improve.

I dont think many of the relegated players would improve us.

Ake is the only name that springs genuine quality, Josh King maybe as a rotational option to replace Ighalo when he leaves.

I understand budgets and the need to be shrewd, and some players may well step up and adapt.

Buendia and Brooks may fit the criteria of enhanced performances around better players, but i dont think i'd advocate for us signing any of them.

We will likely blow a big chunk of money on Sancho, your right. But we have at least 7 players who can be sold which leaves us money to re-invest.

GBBQ

Ake is the only one worth pursuing I reckon (and likely he's City bound as everyone mentions).

We have decent (but frustrating) options in most positions I just don't see many of the names being mentioned as being significant upgrades that would take us to the next level. We'd likely just be filling the squad with more eventual driftwood.

Wolverine

Sancho is obviously the priority as a "big" signing who will be a game changer for us
Grealish would be a good alternative for him but Villa now that they're not relegated will feel in a better position to want more for him
Apart from the front-three which Sancho will hopefully slot into then from the aforementioned relegated bargains, in terms of need I'd say our priorities are central defense, attacking full-back, then perhaps centre-mid.
Centre-back Ake is the real standout but he is city bound. Ben Godfrey is decent but not the tallest but is quite brave and now has had decent bit of exposure at highest level too. I think we'll probably opt for somebody more accomplished and experience for the centre-back position but not sure how much we'll be willing to fork out after a Sancho-esque big money transfer. And Jamal Lewis as an attacking left back I agree to challenge Shaw for that spot because we desperately need some quality on the left flank overflap by way on an attacking end product. AWB is getting better on the right from an attacking POV and we've got Dalot, Williams, TFM who can slot in there too.

Of the rest Buendia I think technically would fit in well with us, technically skillful but also tough, he'd do well in centre mid and he is the type of dribbling, creative, ball-playing but tough midfielder I think we have lacked compared to the other more successful European sides.

We need to get rid of quite a few as well (to get our bloated wage bill under control) and make sure our squad depth is up to par because despite Ole's hesitancy to mix it up in his first XI, the new 5 sub rule potentially and now CL fixtures we could do with having quality options to challenge the starting XI and chip in for rotation/injuries so can see the value in looking at one or two from the teams that went down.

One thing we need to learn is that "big name" signing are no guarantees of success either so it'll be tough, I get though the hesitancy of accumulating more "driftwood" given what's been the issue with our signings last few years but you get that risk too by signing a Di Maria, a Sanchez too but even more of a financial hole because of wages, so its not easy.

eltigreFalcao

Shame to see such good players being relegated. From the list I reali like:

Grealish
Sarr
Buendía
Ake
Brooks
Doucouré

Not that I think United will go for any of them, maybe Grealish which I also like very much but dont feel quite confident in him

Scarecrow

Having a week off
I'd pick Buendia and it's not close. He's perfect for our game, to be honest.

sincher

"I will cry if Rooney leaves"
I can't understand why you lot like Buendia so much. He seems decent but nothing special.

I think the most interesting player of those relegated has to be Sarr. Ake is obviously good as well.

Irrational.

I can't understand why you lot like Buendia so much. He seems decent but nothing special.

I think the most interesting player of those relegated has to be Sarr. Ake is obviously good as well.
Agree with his. Buendia reminds me a lot of Mata - he's very silky on the ball but he's not particularly fast and would struggle against physical opposition.

Lash

Supports
Millwall, Saint-Etienne
I don't really think there's anyone I'd want for the first team tbh.

Sarr is frustrating as hell, no guarantee he'd be any better than James. Cantwell is nothing amazing and never seem to see the hype with Buendia, despite the stats. Brooks has looked pretty meh since coming back.

From Norwich, Godfrey would be someone I would look at a bit closer. For the future id keep an eye on Idah. I think he looks like a good prospect up top.

Don't think I'd take anyone from Bournemouth.

Watford, I'd look at Estupian who's been out on loan and João Pedro for the future - huge prospect when he came from Brazil.

-Supreme-

It's a shame we already have James as I feel Sarr has much better potential.

We certainly don't have room nor time to work on their game given they play in the same position.

SAFMUTD

Marc Roca from Espanyol is a CDM, with really good distribution, young , strong, technical and available for only 18M. I dont know why arent many teams interested in him.

For that price he's a real bargain.

Brooks, Buendia, Jamal Lewis and Ake. Would be great depth signings imo alongside Sancho.

I believe Buendia would be a huge upgrade on Mata/Andreas/Jesse and a great rotational option for Pogba.

Last edited:

lsd

The Oracle
Isn't Cantwell a huge Liverpool fan and always tweeting about them ?

Jam

Marc Roca from Espanyol is a CDM, with really good distribution, young , strong, technical and available for only 18M. I dont know why arent many teams interested in him.

For that price he's a real bargain.
I’m seeing this.

It’s a good opportunity too, CDM is a high priority for us but not as big as RW for this window (or CB depending on us selling our spares). With Matic renewing if we got Roca it would give him a season to blood in.

If he’s the real deal then stick with him 21/22 onwards as first choice, if he isn’t then buy a more prominent player for that position and simply keep him as squad depth. For £18m you can’t go wrong.

Albeit I haven’t seen a great deal of him so I’m happy to be told he’s shite by more avid Espanyol watchers.

passing-wind

Sarr, Ake, Brooks and Aaron's. Everytime I've seen Godfrey he looks like someone who just lacks composure and is terrible positionally. Sarr and Ake are the best for me amoungst the relegation fodder. Brooks would also be a much better option than James on the right.

Siorac

Yes, unfortunately. I couldn’t get the United game live
But you could get City v Norwich? It was literally the only game where there was absolutely nothing at stake. Can't imagine which TV channel picked THAT game... unless you actually went to the stadium instead which I doubt somehow.

Harold_Giles

Buendia would be a huge upgrade on Mata/Lingard/Pereira.

Whenever I've see Norwich play (probably 10 games this season) he's looked class apart from his team mates. Very good close control, vision and constantly looking for a forward pass.
I also like that he's very tenacious and would suit a high pressing team.

Would be an excellent squad option for any top team.

Leg-End

Max Aarons is worth a punt at the reported price, would give us a good backup to AWB and I think in time probably push him for his starting position.