Relegated Bargains?

youngrell

Brooks is a real talent if he can overcome his injury troubles. Not sure he will make it right to the top, though.

Personally don't think anyone in the list is of the required quality. Maybe Wilson and King would be decent back options for us.

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
But you could get City v Norwich? It was literally the only game where there was absolutely nothing at stake. Can't imagine which TV channel picked THAT game... unless you actually went to the stadium instead which I doubt somehow.
City game was on sky1 free
Was quite entertaining too, KdB gave a MasterClass

Skåre Willoch

With only a year left on his contract, how much would be required to sign Josh King? £10m? I think he'll be worth a punt. Can play both on the left, as a second striker, and as a striker. Would complement our front three very well, and give good depth.

Rashford, Martial, Greenwood and Sancho as the main 4 to compete for the three spots up front, with King, Ighalo and James to provide depth/something different when needed.

SirReginald

Supports
Chelsea
Abdoulaye Doucouré - 27 and for me probably the best of the defensive midfielders that never get mentioned in the premiership. Personally think he is just as good as the likes of Ndidi
He isn’t a defensive midfielder. Doucoure plays 2 roles for watford.

Primarily he is used a deep playmaker, despite his gangly appearance he is actually a very good passer of the ball. On the defensive side of things, he is more of a disrupter, he fouls and generally just likes to ruin teams momentum.

His second role has been as a box to box midfielder when watford have been chasing games. He has had a few decent goal scoring chances inside the box but generally doesn’t have the composure to finish.

Rumour is he wants PSG move (presumably to warm their bench) but I do rate him highly. Watford got him for a relatively modest fee.

On form I reckon he could quietly improve most the teams in the league.Tall, strong, good passing ability.Put him in a team where he has less pressure to provide goals and assists and I could see him totally bossing a midfield.

Red_Orchestra

Marc Roca from Espanyol is a CDM, with really good distribution, young , strong, technical and available for only 18M. I dont know why arent many teams interested in him.

For that price he's a real bargain.
Yup, definitely Marc Roca. He would solve our midfield problems for a very long time.
I don't know why we're not in for him, especially at a bargain basement price during a worldwide economic crisis.
Do our club / scouts even know who the f*** Marc Roca is ???

Baneofthegame

Players are only worth discussion if they are good enough and are able to significantly improve.

I dont think many of the relegated players would improve us.

Ake is the only name that springs genuine quality, Josh King maybe as a rotational option to replace Ighalo when he leaves.

I understand budgets and the need to be shrewd, and some players may well step up and adapt.

Buendia and Brooks may fit the criteria of enhanced performances around better players, but i dont think i'd advocate for us signing any of them.

We will likely blow a big chunk of money on Sancho, your right. But we have at least 7 players who can be sold which leaves us money to re-invest.
So who are these 7 that will bring in another 100 million? What players are we reinvesting in with it?

No one is suggesting these players will be starters, except maybe Ake, but they would be an improvement on our squad depth.

liamp

Biggest potential bargain at Watford is someone who hasn't been mentioned yet...Pervis Estupinan is still their player. Would be a fantastic target to compete with Shaw.

My only Eric

I'll take Marc Roca.

The lad is mint. He would improve our midfield and can replace any of our starting midfielders.

Can dribble, tackle, play long passes with both feet accurately, cross. He's fast and has great vision.

He really fits Ole's strategy.

Young with first team experience. Cheap too.. Go check him out.

Last edited:

jamesjimmybyrondean

I'll take Marc Roca.

The lad is mint. He would improve our midfield and can replace any of our starting midfielders.

Can dribble, tackle, play long passes with both feet accurately, cross. He's fast and has great vision.

He really fits Ole's strategy.

Young with first team experience. Cheap too.. Go check him out.
Have you watched him play last season? Genuine question because I only know him based on highlights

Mark Pawelek

Luca Kilian (Paderborn). Young centre-back. Cultured on the ball, not slow. German alternative to Joe Rodan. Younger, cheaper, and arguably better.

Emiliano Buendía (Norwich). Likes to play fast, attacking football. Can play in 2 positions United need. Even if we buy Sancho, we still need a 25 man squad. He can play #10, or #7. Has good assist score at Norwich which will be better at United because our forwards are better. No brainer for the £20m he'll cost.

Sandro Tonali (Brescia). Young (20 next week) DCM with attacking flair. Good assist record (7 in 33 Serie A matches) and key passes (2 per 90 minutes). Will suit the counter attacking game. Plays DCM but has the talent to play anywhere in midfield. Won't actually be "cheap". Sought after by top Italian teams.

Pervis Estupiñán (Osasuna on loan from Watford). Left-back. Not slow, unafraid to get forward. 4 assists and 1.2 key passes per 90 min.

Jack Lahne (Örebro SK on loan from Amiens). Young (19) fast, Swedish striker who can play on the wing too. Buy as a prospect.

My only Eric

Have you watched him play last season? Genuine question because I only know him based on highlights
I watched a few games. The team played shit but you can see his individual brilliance.

His ability to handle himself under pressure is what I like best.

Craig Ward

So who are these 7 that will bring in another 100 million? What players are we reinvesting in with it?

No one is suggesting these players will be starters, except maybe Ake, but they would be an improvement on our squad depth.
Read my posts again, i've been quite clear.

I said Brooks/Buendia/King may be the only namaes that may make the step up and have enhanced performances around a better squad. Still dubious over whether any are what we need right now.

Ake is the stand out name and would probably displace Lindelof in our team.

It is tricky because on paper i'd take King over Ighalo - but i cant see us putting effort into signing King when Ighalo is here until Jan and if we sign a RW (Sancho) then Greenwood plays through the middle as back up/competition to Martial.

We have at least 7 squad members who could leave on a permanent deal:
Smalling/Rojo/Sanchez/Jones/Lingard/Mata/Periera
If Henderson stays then he replaces Romero as well.
Doubts over Bailly/Dalot.

There's scope to make money from sales

Untied

Biggest potential bargain at Watford is someone who hasn't been mentioned yet...Pervis Estupinan is still their player. Would be a fantastic target to compete with Shaw.
This is a really good shout

cmacgregor93

So I would focus on the roles we need filled and go from there, rather than buying a bargain in a position that's far too clogged with players.

CB: Ben Godfrey (22) - Norwich; Nathan Ake (25) - Bournemouth;
DM: Marc Roca (23) - Espanyol; Sandro Tonali (20) - Brescia;
AM: Todd Cantwell (22) - Norwich; David Brooks (23) - Bournemouth;
ST: Joshua King (28) - Bournemouth; Callum Wilson (28) - Bournemouth; Danny Welbeck (29) - Watford;

Try and make a go for Ake, Roca/Tonali, King and that would be good. Not so keen about the others.

Reactions: Sultan

cyril C

If Abdoulaye Doucouré is a defensive midfielder then Luke Shaw is a goalkeeper. Was it a typo?

I personally think Ake would be the best option. He'd make our squad better atleast and he's left footed. A left footed centreback would be nice.

Unsure if he's any better than Lindelof, but he's certainly better than Bailly/Jones.
Yes, me too. Unfortunately gone or we are too late to respond.

RDCR07

Not a bad guy (Whale Killer)
No one is good enough to even be backup for us. Let’s get some quality in. Let’s not make the same mistakes we have made in the transfer market and just buy players for the sake of adding depth.