Relegation battle 2019/20.

Discussion in 'Football Forum' started by FootballHQ, Aug 25, 2019.

1. Aug 25, 2019

FootballHQ Full Member

Supports:
    Aston Villa
    Three games in and all three promoted have won a game. Wonder if that's happened as early before, can remember plenty of teams going until October-November without winning.

Brighton started better than expected. I also thought Newcastle were worst team in the league and they go and win at Spurs. :lol: Also predicted Palace to go down after their wretched display in Sheffield and they get their away wins up and running at Old Trafford.

Watford only team without a point and indeed not to be even on 3 points. Got some tough fixtures up to November aswell and without Deeney for next six weeks. Guess there's still a hangover from end of last season. They tend to be a streaky team with players with Pereya and Deulofeu so can see them winning 4 out of 5 at some stage of the season.

When you think back to last season Huddersfield and Fulham were pretty much down by start of December. Cardiff didn't win a game until October 20th and despite giving it a really good go in the end you always felt their lack of quality would hurt them. It was a very predictable bottom three in the end.

This season I really have no idea from what I've seen in first three games. Think I went for Norwich, Newcastle and Brighton. Guess I could still be right but they'll have given their fans hope in at least one of the three games.
  2. Aug 26, 2019

Sean_RedDevil Twitter bot

Since July in NYC :) Before in Manchester+Hamburg
    My prediction were Brighton&Hove, Newcastle and Crystal Palace.

And i agree with you that the relegation battle will be much tougher and better this season because last season it was easy to see which 3-4 clubs will go down after so 20 games.....i reckon all clubs will get at least 35 points (Cardiff as 18th have had 34 points last season).
  3. Aug 26, 2019

TheReligion Abusive

Hopefully United get enough points to stay up. If we keep Maguire fit we should be ok.
  4. Aug 26, 2019

AlwaysRed66 Full Member

If the first three games are anything to go by, this years league is going to be quite tight, except for Man City & Liverpool sailing away at the top. Newcastle win & remain 19th, yet only a point behind 5th place Man Utd.
  5. Sep 28, 2019

horsechoker Sailor vee, this is a right off.

Might be too early but I think Watford's time has come, they haven't had a new manager bounce.

I think Wolves have too much quality to go down.

Newcastle will be contenders.

United will reach 40 points in March.
  6. Sep 28, 2019

haram New Member

Watford need to go.
  7. Sep 28, 2019

FootyGirl88

Watford look a sure thing
  8. Sep 28, 2019

R'hllor Full Member

If we stay above Watford, think we will survive.
  9. Sep 28, 2019

Vidyoyo Self-confessed coffee shop chat-up expert

Watford, Sheffield United and Brighton

Expect Norwich and Villa to stay up by the skin of their teeth.
  10. Sep 28, 2019

Cheech Wizard Liverpool fan

Supports:
    Liverpool
    Watford have some quality but they look like a bad mix of players put together now bit like Fulham looked when they came up, plus I can see them sacking Flores if they carry on by xmas and having a caretaker or 3rd manager in a season usually spells relegation.
  11. Sep 28, 2019

NJM78 Full Member

We lose to Arsenal and Liverpool we could be in it in a few weeks.
  12. Sep 28, 2019

Rafaeldagold Full Member

If we can try & not sell any more strikers & not replace them we should survive. And midfields for that matter.

Although if Rashford keeps taking free kicks were doomed. And if we keep bringing on Chong.
  13. Sep 28, 2019

Nou_Camp99 Full Member

We are 3pts above drop zone and we've got a pretty tough run of games coming.

Do I think we will go down? Of course not but I do think we are going to finish closer to 17th PTS wise than for a long long time.

The sad truth is teams in bottom half are as good as us now if we are missing just 2-3 of our better players which we are currently.

Depressing.
  14. Sep 28, 2019

Idxomer Full Member

Wrong forum.
  15. Sep 28, 2019

bond19821982 Full Member

Man united isn't far from that battle though. Currently at 1.3 points per match with Arsenal,Newcastle and Liverpool next. Could be easily 9 points from 9 matches and that's relegation form.
  16. Sep 28, 2019

Big Ben Foster Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016

Supports:
    Also support Vasco da Gama
    Watford
    Newcastle
    Sheffield United

Think Norwich will be fine as long as GOAT stays fit.
  17. Sep 28, 2019

Ban Full Member

We're close to it.
  18. Sep 28, 2019

FootballHQ Full Member

Supports:
    Aston Villa
    We're playing well in spells but blowing so many points with lack of in game management. Dean Smith is painfully slow with using subs and changing shape when opposition start to dominate and we're letting points slip through our grasp.

Table slowly starting to shape up as expected. Norwich aren't a bad team but they're shipping two goals every week and that's simply not sustainable to stay up. Brighton started off o.k but are now struggling to score goals just like last season.

I suspect Watford will go on a run at some stage. Bottom 3 coming from us, Newcastle, Brighton, Watford, Norwich, Southampton and Sheffield United.
  19. Sep 28, 2019

Megadrive Man New Member

Supports:
    Liverpool
    The one thing Solskjaer has poven at this level is that he's capable of getting a team relegated.
  20. Sep 28, 2019

Banana Republic New Member

If we lose to Arsenal, then looking at next weekend’s full set of EPL fixtures, a loss away at Newcastle is likely to leave us in 13th or 14th spot and possibly just 2 points above the relegation zone.

Then next up comes Liverpool.

I hate to say this, or admit it to myself even, but unless some drastic change in form and results occurs over the next 2 games, it’s looking odds on we’ll be in a bottom of the table scramble by November.

Trying to look on the positive side, 3 points against Arsenal and a draw at Newcastle, puts us back up with the chasing pack.

I’m dreading this Monday nights game like no other I can remember.
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 28, 2019
  21. Sep 28, 2019

Alabaster Codify7 Full Member

Gun to head based on what I've seen so far:

Watford
    Aston Villa
    Newcastle

We'll spend a few months dicing with 15th or so.
  22. Sep 28, 2019

Casanova85 New Member

Supports:
    Cruyff/SAF
    Watford might not even win 5 matches this season.

They peaked last season and felt dizzy and sick, and now it's just a long, miserable way down from there.
  23. Oct 19, 2019

FootballHQ Full Member

Supports:
    Aston Villa
    Mad this is on page 8, shaping up to be most incredible relegation battle in years.

We're in 11th, 1 point off 7th and 2 points off 18th. This is something you expect maybe in first game in September, we're a quarter of the way through the season now.

Would've been even more dramatic if Watford had held on as they'd have properly been back into the mix then. I get the feeling in any case they'll have a run of some stage of 3 wins in 4.
  24. Oct 19, 2019

DWelbz19 Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016

You’d imagine they’ll spend some money in January/nick some Granada and Udinese players. Or whoever it is.

Still... they concede at an alarming rate. Watford and Norwich have both conceded 21 goals thus far; 5 higher than the next weakest defence.