Relegation battle 2019/20

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
Three games in and all three promoted have won a game. Wonder if that's happened as early before, can remember plenty of teams going until October-November without winning.

Brighton started better than expected. I also thought Newcastle were worst team in the league and they go and win at Spurs. :lol: Also predicted Palace to go down after their wretched display in Sheffield and they get their away wins up and running at Old Trafford.

Watford only team without a point and indeed not to be even on 3 points. Got some tough fixtures up to November aswell and without Deeney for next six weeks. Guess there's still a hangover from end of last season. They tend to be a streaky team with players with Pereya and Deulofeu so can see them winning 4 out of 5 at some stage of the season.

When you think back to last season Huddersfield and Fulham were pretty much down by start of December. Cardiff didn't win a game until October 20th and despite giving it a really good go in the end you always felt their lack of quality would hurt them. It was a very predictable bottom three in the end.

This season I really have no idea from what I've seen in first three games. Think I went for Norwich, Newcastle and Brighton. Guess I could still be right but they'll have given their fans hope in at least one of the three games.

Sean_RedDevil

Twitter bot
My prediction were Brighton&Hove, Newcastle and Crystal Palace.

And i agree with you that the relegation battle will be much tougher and better this season because last season it was easy to see which 3-4 clubs will go down after so 20 games.....i reckon all clubs will get at least 35 points (Cardiff as 18th have had 34 points last season).

AlwaysRed66

If the first three games are anything to go by, this years league is going to be quite tight, except for Man City & Liverpool sailing away at the top. Newcastle win & remain 19th, yet only a point behind 5th place Man Utd.

horsechoker

The Caf's Roy Keane.
Might be too early but I think Watford's time has come, they haven't had a new manager bounce.

I think Wolves have too much quality to go down.

Newcastle will be contenders.

United will reach 40 points in March.

Cheech Wizard

Liverpool fan
Supports
Liverpool
Watford have some quality but they look like a bad mix of players put together now bit like Fulham looked when they came up, plus I can see them sacking Flores if they carry on by xmas and having a caretaker or 3rd manager in a season usually spells relegation.

Rafaeldagold

If we can try & not sell any more strikers & not replace them we should survive. And midfields for that matter.

Although if Rashford keeps taking free kicks were doomed. And if we keep bringing on Chong.

Nou_Camp99

what would Souness do?
We are 3pts above drop zone and we've got a pretty tough run of games coming.

Do I think we will go down? Of course not but I do think we are going to finish closer to 17th PTS wise than for a long long time.

The sad truth is teams in bottom half are as good as us now if we are missing just 2-3 of our better players which we are currently.

Depressing.

bond19821982

Last Man Standing champion 2019/20
Man united isn't far from that battle though. Currently at 1.3 points per match with Arsenal,Newcastle and Liverpool next. Could be easily 9 points from 9 matches and that's relegation form.

Big Ben Foster

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Supports
Also support Vasco da Gama
Watford
Newcastle
Sheffield United

Think Norwich will be fine as long as GOAT stays fit.

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
We're playing well in spells but blowing so many points with lack of in game management. Dean Smith is painfully slow with using subs and changing shape when opposition start to dominate and we're letting points slip through our grasp.

Table slowly starting to shape up as expected. Norwich aren't a bad team but they're shipping two goals every week and that's simply not sustainable to stay up. Brighton started off o.k but are now struggling to score goals just like last season.

I suspect Watford will go on a run at some stage. Bottom 3 coming from us, Newcastle, Brighton, Watford, Norwich, Southampton and Sheffield United.

Megadrive Man

Supports
Liverpool
Man united isn't far from that battle though. Currently at 1.3 points per match with Arsenal,Newcastle and Liverpool next. Could be easily 9 points from 9 matches and that's relegation form.
The one thing Solskjaer has poven at this level is that he's capable of getting a team relegated.

Banana Republic

We lose to Arsenal and Liverpool we could be in it in a few weeks.
We are 3pts above drop zone and we've got a pretty tough run of games coming.
......Currently at 1.3 points per match with Arsenal,Newcastle and Liverpool next. Could be easily 9 points from 9 matches and that's relegation form.
We're close to it.
If we lose to Arsenal, then looking at next weekend’s full set of EPL fixtures, a loss away at Newcastle is likely to leave us in 13th or 14th spot and possibly just 2 points above the relegation zone.

Then next up comes Liverpool.

I hate to say this, or admit it to myself even, but unless some drastic change in form and results occurs over the next 2 games, it’s looking odds on we’ll be in a bottom of the table scramble by November.

Trying to look on the positive side, 3 points against Arsenal and a draw at Newcastle, puts us back up with the chasing pack.

I’m dreading this Monday nights game like no other I can remember.

Last edited by a moderator:

Alabaster Codify7

Gun to head based on what I've seen so far:

Watford
Aston Villa
Newcastle

We'll spend a few months dicing with 15th or so.

Casanova85

Supports
Cruyff/SAF
Watford might not even win 5 matches this season.

They peaked last season and felt dizzy and sick, and now it's just a long, miserable way down from there.

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
Mad this is on page 8, shaping up to be most incredible relegation battle in years.

We're in 11th, 1 point off 7th and 2 points off 18th. This is something you expect maybe in first game in September, we're a quarter of the way through the season now.

Would've been even more dramatic if Watford had held on as they'd have properly been back into the mix then. I get the feeling in any case they'll have a run of some stage of 3 wins in 4.

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Mad this is on page 8, shaping up to be most incredible relegation battle in years.

We're in 11th, 1 point off 7th and 2 points off 18th. This is something you expect maybe in first game in September, we're a quarter of the way through the season now.

Would've been even more dramatic if Watford had held on as they'd have properly been back into the mix then. I get the feeling in any case they'll have a run of some stage of 3 wins in 4.
You’d imagine they’ll spend some money in January/nick some Granada and Udinese players. Or whoever it is.

Still... they concede at an alarming rate. Watford and Norwich have both conceded 21 goals thus far; 5 higher than the next weakest defence.

MackRobinson

Supports
Football
9 points separates 5th (Crystal Palace) and 18th (Southampton) and Palace has a game in hand over every team below them.
Everton 2 points off relegation.
Bournemouth 4 points off relegation
Arsenal is equal distance from relegation and top 4
United to closer relegation than top 4

Pretty surprised as I haven't looked at the table in a month or so. A run of bad form by any team 5 or below and they are probably in a relegation battle.

Last edited:

PaulRich

We lose these next two games and we are deep in the shit. Properly.

André Dominguez

Supports
Benfica, Académica
Europa League took a toll on Wolves, but I think they will be safe from relegation in the long run. They will struggle on short term though. They can rotate their players on next EL game since they already secured qualification, though.

Paul_Scholes18

Watford may survive with the right manager. Think Norwich and villa will go down with Southampton or Watford.

Lay

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Norwich are my only certainties. I see Watford staying up under Hughten if they get him

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
Europa League took a toll on Wolves, but I think they will be safe from relegation in the long run. They will struggle on short term though. They can rotate their players on next EL game since they already secured qualification, though.
Wolves have been great recently. No league defeats since first game in September when Chelsea thrashed them. Also no subs in the weekend game so clearly their players still have plenty of gas in them.

Last edited:

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
Watford may survive with the right manager. Think Norwich and villa will go down with Southampton or Watford.
O.k I'm biased but are you even aware of our results?! :lol:

Since middle of September the only league games we've lost have been to Man. City, Liverpool and Wolves (worst performance of the season). 3 losses in ten games so we're picking up points in the games we need to to comfortably survive e.g beating likes of Norwich, Newcastle and Brighton.

We're also incredibly 5th highest scorers in the league despite our pool of strikers not being great at all for this level.

Guess you're just looking at the table and seeing us still just above the drop zone which is fair enough but then about ten other teams are in the same boat.

One frustration is the amount of shock wins that have happened so we can't quite create a points buffer to bottom 3 as likes of Man. United, Arsenal and Spurs have gifted so many points to bottom half teams already.

When you look back to this time last season Huddersfield and Fulham were all but relegated and Cardiff had about ten points.

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
Watford now 7 points off safety
Got Liverpool away and Man. United at home in two of their next three so will struggle to get new manager bounce aswell.

Have to say Southampton have bounced back really well from 9-0. These two huge wins, should've won at Arsenal and only lost last minute at Man. City so shows they have enough to stay up despite being weak at both ends.

MsNuno

Supports
Wolves
We’re really not struggling! Last defeat was 14 September

Perseus

We’re really not struggling! Last defeat was 14 September
Only 12 clubs battling now, Wolves and Leicester excluded.

At the beginning of the season, I fairly confidently tipped Watford, Sheffield United and one other to go down.

Last edited:

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
How is this on page 9? :lol: I'm sure it was regularly bumped last season even though at this point Fulham and Huddersfield were all but relegated.

Anyway over two teams have less than 20 points now at basically the halfway stage. One of those (Watford) will be flying past that soon enough given they've taken 10 points from Pearson's first five games in charge.

I can see Newcastle on 25 points being the mid table team that keeps falling down the table. Getting injuries now and don't want to dominate possession in games.

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
Norwich are doomed, Villa depend on Moyesie and Bournemouth's health

If the football gods pay attention, newcastle will join them

Paul_Scholes18

I have been saying Villa and Norwich for most of the season. Although Villa might actually stay up.
Bournemouth have been really terrible for a long period of time and still did beat us. They could turn it around, but right now they look like they will go down.
Watford look like they will probably stay up.
I think Moyes will keep West Ham up in the end too.

Burnley or Newcastle may go down too I think. They have started to decline and are pretty crap in attack in general.

Dancfc

Supports
Chelsea
Bournemouth are fecked unless they sack Howe, they've stagnated as badly as Brighton under Hughton last season and unlike them don't have the points buffer to get with it.

With the rest it's hard to tell, I can't help but feel Norwich will (like Southampton of late) hit form out of nowhere at some point and pull out, with the way they play there's bound to be a period it all clicks at some point.

Last edited:

Paul_Scholes18

Bournemouth are fecked unless they sack Howe, they've stagnate as badly as Brighton under Hughton last season and unlike them don't have the points buffer to get with it.

With the rest it's hard to tell, I can't help but feel Norwich will (like Southampton of late) hit form out of nowhere at some point and pull out, with the way they play there's bound to be a period it all clicks at some point.
Next week is the chance for Norwich against us. If they can win that it might give them a small boost. Although still think they are going down.