Relegation Jumble Sale

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
Richardson seems to spend half the game on the floor whinging. And if there's a better example of disappearing when times get hard (outside of our lot of course), I'd like to hear it.

VanDeBank

Ma’am
You have named 3 players from a list of hundreds that have been relegated and have then went on to win league titles not long after. 99% of players in relegated teams don't go on to then perform at the elite level. Just because you are able to name a tiny proportion of them, doesn't mean my initial statement is incorrect.

Not to mention the 3 players you named have went on to be managed by 2 all time great managers and top 5 PL managers of all time.
I never made the point that there are a lot of relegated players that would be good for a top club.

I only criticized your view that we should "never" go for relegated players, because "bla bla bla".
We and many others would have missed out on some real gems.

It does mean your initial statement is incorrect, because you said "never" and the reasons you gave were complete bullshit when it came to the aforementioned names.

You're missing my point. They were good players regardless of the trophies won. You keep fixating on the trophies and why they went on to win those (good managers and such), when you're missing the point that they were good signings because they were quality players.

I’m presuming those suggesting DCL from Everton haven’t actually watched much of Everton this year. He’s been crap when not injured. As someone with a family member who’s an Everton fanatic, I’ve had to listen to rants about how crap he is for ages. Godfrey decent instead of Bailly or Jones.
No, I think it's based on past performances. People know he has done the square root of feck all this season.

flappyjay

I think would be equally happy with DCL/Richarleson or Philips/Raphinha. The Everton duo have always been hardworkers and the Leeds duo are used to pressing football.

userman

If Leeds go down we should definitely go for Raphinha, an absolute no-brainer for the reported 25m relegation release clause! Would be a massive improvement on our RW!

In the more likely event that Everton goes down I would like to see us get Calwert-Lewin even though he has had a poor season. Would much rather get him for the striker role than Richarlison. Anthony Gordon looks promising but LW should not be high up on our priority list. Ben Godfrey is an interesting alternative as utility player if we manage to sell of all the deadwood. Pickford, even though he's a clown, should also be considered as we need a more modern goalkeeper.
That Dutch player Van de Beek also looks promising from the limited I've seen of him in the Everton shirt, looks like a better player than McTominay...

From Norwich I would say that Aarons is the only interesting option. A question to those that have seen him regularly over the last seasons; has he stagnated?

At Watford Dennis is perhaps the stand-out player, but as with Gordon from Everton LW should not be a priority this summer.

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
Me too. Very obvious signing in a big position of need for us.
I don't see it with Max Aarons tbh, made very little impact in prem from what I've seen.

Actually would say the Burnley FBs would be better options. think Charlie Taylor is very underrated (hit a lovely cross for the Cork header yesterday) and Connor Roberts is improving every week and already has good international experience for Wales and can play in different formations.

Pickle85

Raphinha is the only one I'd really he interested in. Phillips too, actually, though I do think he's rather overrated

Bobski

Raphinha would drive the Cafe mad in short order. Talented but his decision making is sub optimal to say the least, if you get annoyed at Bruno's hollywood passes then Raphinha is not for you.

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
I heard this guys name on a YouTube video and want to know people's opinion -

How would Dwight Mcneil from Burnley do as a potential LB if he changes to such positions after buying from a relegated Burnley?

Jacob

Only Richarlison and maybe Raphina. The latter gives me a Mahrez vibe, somebody who is obviously talented but has flaws, that we'll eventually will regret not going for.

tomaldinho1

Richarlisson is a really good player, Rafinha is a risk but we are light there so should try. Maybe Meslier as well to compete with DDG assuming Henderson is sold.

The big shame for me is Godfrey just looks so average post his injury, there was a time I thought he was exactly what we needed but I’m just not sure it’s worth the risk now.

DannyCAFC

Supports
Charlton Athletic
Raphinha is the obvious one.

DCL, Phillips, Pickford (don't laugh) would all be good short-term additions/long-term squad options.

I think that's about it. Maybe Max Aarons are he's young and better going forward than their current options but I'm not convinced. Possibly Meslier too although he's prone to errors and might not be able to overcome them playing for a club of United's size.

Don't think Richarlison would fit. The last thing United need is another player who's best off the left-hand side.

bond19821982

Last Man Standing champion 2019/20
I heard this guys name on a YouTube video and want to know people's opinion -

How would Dwight Mcneil from Burnley do as a potential LB if he changes to such positions after buying from a relegated Burnley?
Would be a good addition. Not saying he would be starting but something different to what we have.

Caesar2290

If we sell Henderson, than Nick Pope would be my pick. He'd fit right into the Ten Hag ball. His stats vs De Gea.

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
I mean it's hardly surprising the teams with the worst players were relegated but after having potentially the likes of Richarlison and Raphinha as bargains to be had its now shopping in Norwich, Watford and Burnley :(

Powderfinger

Supports
Arsenal
I hope some PL club buys Dwight McNeil. Always wanted to see what he could do in a more progressive side. He'd be a sneaky good pickup for a club like Soton or Brighton. I'd actually really like to see him as a left wing back.

Stobzilla

Official Team Perv
I would have Dwight McNeil, I think there is another level to come from him offensively and his numbers defending from the front are elite in this league the last time I checked a few weeks ago.

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
Hope someone buys Wout Weghorst. He deserves more PL games even if he's a bit cack.

Jezpeza

Only Max Aarons ''probably''
what interests me about the hype around Aarons is he is a proper FIFA signing where people are banking he will develop like he does on a video game.

But the most similar player to him statistically is a certain Aaron Wan Bissaka and I dont think besides that he has been particularly standout in either of his PL seasons. Make of that what you will

Gandalf

None of them really. Raphina would be good but he will go to Barca or Liverpool probably. Connor Roberts from Burnley is miles better than Dalot or AWB but even as a Welshman I think we should aim higher.

The Corinthian

I will not take Mad Winger's name in vain
If we manage to get rid of Bailly, Jones and one other (maybe Tuanzebe or Lindelof), we could do a lot worse than having him as an auxiliary CB. He’s on a free as well.

joedirt87

I like Todd Cantwell. I think he's a decent midfielder with some creativity and if you told me I could have him for a few million pound to be a depth piece I would take it. then again this is based on a few seasons ago when Norwich were first promoted, so it doesn't look like he's upped his level if he got loaned to a championship team and they declined to sign him.

Last edited:

Irrational.

If we can get Dwight McNeil for a reasonable price, he’d be an excellent squad option. Hard working, versatile - almost like a young Milner.

userman

Some decent squad options that should be available at cut prices from the relegated teams. Players like Pope, McNeil, Cornet and Tarkowski at Burnley, as well as Dennis and Sarr at Watford should all be considered by PL clubs.

However, for me the stand-out player that should be of interest for us is Joao Pedro at Watford. I think he's a player with the potential to develop into a top class forward in the future, still only 20.
Somewhat similar to his predecessor at Watford, Richarlison, he's a versatile and hard working forward that contributes defensively.
As Ronaldo is probably staying for another season I think Pedro would be a fine option as backup and rotation for a season with the potential of being our long term solution in the striker role.
Transfermarkt values him at €10m but lets say £15-20m and he could be a bargain for the future with a role to play already next season.

Last edited: