Religion Discussion | Read the OP before posting

nickm

What evidence if any was presented where everyone came to the conclusion?
Background here.https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arian_controversy

Never really went away overnight. It was a combination of agreeing the nicene creed, which asserts Jesus’ divinity (in nearly half of the 23 lines devoted to Jesus so you can see it was important) and a single uniting set of beliefs, emperor Constantine getting heavy with the heretics and it sort of dying out over time. I find it fascinating.

Last edited:

Raoul

Admin
Staff
Thoughts on the Passion of the Christ ? As an Atheist who grew up believing, I watched it and left with goosebumps.

Red Dreams

Across the Universe....from Old Trafford.
Background here.https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arian_controversy

Never really went away overnight. It was a combination of agreeing the nicene creed, which asserts Jesus’ divinity (in nearly half of the 23 lines devoted to Jesus so you can see it was important) and a single uniting set of beliefs, emperor Constantine getting heavy with the heretics and it sort of dying out over time. I find it fascinating.
Cheers.

Will read later.

Red Dreams

Thoughts on the Passion of the Christ ? As an Atheist who grew up believing, I watched it and left with goosebumps.
I have had several people say similar things.

I did not watch it because I would find it too painful.

But I should.

I once read about what scourging really was as it was done in Roman times and I thought about His suffering. A human being going through that.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
I have had several people say similar things.

I did not watch it because I would find it too painful.

But I should.

I once read about what scourging really was as it was done in Roman times and I thought about His suffering. A human being going through that.
Its a hell of a film. Definitely worth the watch.

Red Dreams

Its a hell of a film. Definitely worth the watch.
I will make it a point to do so...well before Christmas as it would change the festive atmosphere otherwise.

EDIT: My movement to fully embracing the Faith has been gradual.

But just in the last few years, certain things happened in my life that enabled me to have that personal relationship with Him. Also enabled me to reflect on many things that had happened in my life.
It all came together.

Last edited:

Raoul

Admin
Staff
I will make it a point to do so...well before Christmas as it would change the festive atmosphere otherwise.

EDIT: My movement to fully embracing the Faith has been gradual.

But just in the last few years, certain things happened in my life that enabled me to have that personal relationship with Him. Also enabled me to reflect on many things that had happened in my life.
It all came together.
Get comfortable with subtitles - the film is in Aramaic, Latin, and Hebrew - which imo gives it a bit more authenticity.

2cents

Historiographer, and obtainer of rare antiquities
Scout
This is a great quote from Abdul Hakim Murad (fka Timothy Winter), which is probably applicable for converts/“born again” types in all religions, and indeed ideologies:

“Those who come to Islam because they wish to draw closer to God have no problem with a multiform Islam radiating from a single revealed paradigmatic core. But those who come to Islam seeking an identity will find the multiplicity of traditional Muslim cultures intolerable. People with confused identities are attracted to totalitarian solutions. And today, many young Muslims feel so threatened by the diversity of calls on their allegiance, and by the sheer complexity of modernity, that the only form of Islam they can regard as legitimate is a totalitarian, monolithic one. That there should be four schools of Islamic law is to them unbearable. That Muslim cultures should legitimately differ is a species of blasphemy.”

Zlatattack

This is a great quote from Abdul Hakim Murad (fka Timothy Winter), which is probably applicable for converts/“born again” types in all religions, and indeed ideologies:

“Those who come to Islam because they wish to draw closer to God have no problem with a multiform Islam radiating from a single revealed paradigmatic core. But those who come to Islam seeking an identity will find the multiplicity of traditional Muslim cultures intolerable. People with confused identities are attracted to totalitarian solutions. And today, many young Muslims feel so threatened by the diversity of calls on their allegiance, and by the sheer complexity of modernity, that the only form of Islam they can regard as legitimate is a totalitarian, monolithic one. That there should be four schools of Islamic law is to them unbearable. That Muslim cultures should legitimately differ is a species of blasphemy.”

Far be it for me to argue with a renowned personality such as him but the use of the word "many" is out of place. The wahhabi are a tiny minority who'd be insignificant had it not been for oil. Other than them everyone else accepts Islam offers multiple paths to the same place.

I'm not saying others don't have sectarianism, but it's at the fringes, whereas with them the puritanism is central.

Dumbstar

We got another woman hater here.
Supports
Liverpool
Far be it for me to argue with a renowned personality such as him but the use of the word "many" is out of place. The wahhabi are a tiny minority who'd be insignificant had it not been for oil. Other than them everyone else accepts Islam offers multiple paths to the same place.

I'm not saying others don't have sectarianism, but it's at the fringes, whereas with them the puritanism is central.
I might be wrong but the wahhabi movement was heavily funded and strategised by, ahem, 'other people' at least decades before oil was found. No? Oil was just the icing on the cake for the house of Saud.

2cents

Historiographer, and obtainer of rare antiquities
Scout
Just wondering, has anybody in here felt a pull towards religion in adulthood, where they’d previously been relatively apathetic? If so, can you explain how this played out in your life?

vidic blood & sand

Just wondering, has anybody in here felt a pull towards religion in adulthood, where they’d previously been relatively apathetic? If so, can you explain how this played out in your life?
Ok here goes.....

Was brought up in a church (70s), went to sunday school but never understood the relevance of religion at all. Hated it even. Despised the fact that my parents were christians. Hated it.
Was very embarrassed about my family being very spiritual. Rebelled massively, but my parents let me do my own thing.
At the age of 18 (1988) I was so disgusted with my parents being Christians, I set out to expose Christianity as a lie. So I started to listen to tapes of ministers preaching the gospel in order to prove the messages factually wrong.
Every time I listened to them I became very uncomfortable. Although the message seemed factually flawed to me, I couldn't stop feeling like I was flawed in some way. I became afraid of the very thing I was trying to be superior to.
I remember playing darts with my dad at nights, and I used to mock his faith and laugh, but when he'd talk about his faith, I'd curse him out and run off terrified.
How I became a christian was odd really, because I was sick with a nasty flu (early 90s), and one night when I couldn't sleep I asked God to prove himself to me if he existed or not. I can only say that the strangest thing happened. I was aware that Jesus was next to me and experienced a peace I couldn't describe. Fell asleep and woke a new person. In the morning I found an old bible and started to read it, and could believe a word of it. The whole account of creation was completely ridiculously to me. What nonsense I thought. After reading it five times, I told God that his version of creation was nonsense and impossible to believe. It's difficult to come into faith in a person, and yet not believe the bible at the same time.
I felt God saying, read it again, but thought, what's the point? It's just no good. Read it again, and believed it with a faith that wasn't my own. Later I understood what happened.

Heb 11:3 By faith we understand that the worlds were framed by the word of God, so that the things which are seen were not made of things which are visible.

Trying to grasp creation with the human mind is impossible. By faith we understand.

It's been 29 years ago, and to be honest I've not been a good christian at all. I don't go to church, and am a hypocrite with the way I've lived, but have never doubted my faith.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2cents

Dumbstar

Supports
Liverpool
Good account vidic. I'd like to read more. I know there must be others.

Penna

Kind Moderator (with a bit of a mean streak)
Staff
Just a word of solidarity for other Christians during Lent, when you can't go to Holy Communion or Mass - you can keep connected online, there are many sites available.

For Catholics, a link to the Mass online in English from many churches in different countries: https://mass-online.org

The Holy Rosary online - you can join in live, it runs continuously: http://www.comepraytherosary.org

Foxbatt

I always wondered why in the Anglophone countries there is no Jesus. I may be wrong but I have never heard of the name. In the Latino countries they have a lot of Jesus. In Islam too there are plenty of Mohameds.

DOTA

wants Amber Rudd to call him a naughty boy
Just a word of solidarity for other Christians during Lent, when you can't go to Holy Communion or Mass - you can keep connected online, there are many sites available.

For Catholics, a link to the Mass online in English from many churches in different countries: https://mass-online.org

The Holy Rosary online - you can join in live, it runs continuously: http://www.comepraytherosary.org
I've been looking all through the TV and radio schedules in the UK for any Christian services, as my partner's ninety odd year old nonna is not in a position to learn how to use the internet. I'm struggling to find much. She's used to going to mass twice a week and it's gonna be really hard for her without it. I really hope they get something broadcast on the older forms of distribution soon.

Dumbstar

Supports
Liverpool
@Sultan, @Zlatattack, etc. Are you guys using kolanji (nigella sativa seeds) daily? Didn't want to put this in the coronavirus thread due to 'untested' treatments but this seed has naturally occurring hydroxychloroquine.

I've started giving a quarter teaspoon daily to my daughter who's had painful covid for the last 16 days and also taking a smaller dose myself and giving to my mum just in case as she is the highest risk category for my household.

As I've only recently found out (shame on me) this is Sunnah of the Rasool (SAAW):

https://thecognate.com/nigella-sativa-every-disease-has-a-cure-decelerating-the-covid-19-pandemic/

Zlatattack

@Sultan, @Zlatattack, etc. Are you guys using kolanji (nigella sativa seeds) daily? Didn't want to put this in the coronavirus thread due to 'untested' treatments but this seed has naturally occurring hydroxychloroquine.

I've started giving a quarter teaspoon daily to my daughter who's had painful covid for the last 16 days and also taking a smaller dose myself and giving to my mum just in case as she is the highest risk category for my household.

As I've only recently found out (shame on me) this is Sunnah of the Rasool (SAAW):

https://thecognate.com/nigella-sativa-every-disease-has-a-cure-decelerating-the-covid-19-pandemic/
I've not used it myself - it's been suggested by others. I'm also all corona'd up.

Penna

Kind Moderator (with a bit of a mean streak)
Staff
I've been looking all through the TV and radio schedules in the UK for any Christian services, as my partner's ninety odd year old nonna is not in a position to learn how to use the internet. I'm struggling to find much. She's used to going to mass twice a week and it's gonna be really hard for her without it. I really hope they get something broadcast on the older forms of distribution soon.
@DOTA, it's a shame she can't use the internet (although not surprising at her age), as there's something on virtually all the time from somewhere in the UK and Ireland (and from other English-speaking countries). You can even tune in for evening prayer, the Rosary, the Angelus ... I watched a 99-year-old lady's funeral Mass this morning, from Omagh!

There has been a recent plea for Mass to be broadcast on TV and/or radio, for people who aren't on the internet. Let's hope they do something quickly, as Holy Week is fast approaching. You can pick up some channels on international shortwave radio (the big Catholic resource EWTN has some), but I couldn't find any info about the frequency they use for broadcasting.
https://www.thetablet.co.uk/news/12654/catholics-plea-for-bbc-to-broadcast-mass

Sultan

Gentleness adorns everything

Salaams

I've definitely started using kalonji oil teaspoon twice a day. The biggest virtue is its recommendation by the Prophet(SAW). Take this with the intention of it also being Sunnah and you will also be rewarded. May Allah (SWT) give Shifaa and guard your family. Its a natural product and can't do any harm.

@Zlatattack @VidaRed

VidaRed

Unimaginative FC
Salaams

I've definitely started using kalonji oil teaspoon twice a day. The biggest virtue is its recommendation by the Prophet(SAW). Take this with the intention of it also being Sunnah and you will also be rewarded. May Allah (SWT) give Shifaa and guard your family. Its a natural product and can't do any harm.

@Zlatattack @VidaRed
My father has been having it since a few months ago, he has it with honey.

Prometheus

Supports
Chelsea

I've never seen this put so well before.

Wibble

In Gadus Speramus
Staff
The opposite has been true for me. Raised Catholic and schooled at Catholic schools. Gradually realised that the things I was being told actually sounded like nonsense and began to seriously question religion/god once at high school. Probably intellectually an atheist by my mid teens but the fear that is trained into you takes quite some time to totally decline. Even though I'm now in my 50's I find zero pull to go back. I can see that is tempting to think we don't just end but I see no reason to think that. You get one go around, make the most of it and you live on in the memories of your loved ones.

Last edited:

Im red2

Prophet of Doom
In the begining(time), God created the Heavens(spa
Being a Christian I have just found something that made the hairs stand up on the back of my neck. In the book of Revelation Chapter 6 , It talks of the first of the 4 horsemen of the Apocalypse, He is wearing a crown (Corona), and carries a bow, and goes out conquering and to conquer. Bow is translated from the ancient Greek word Toxon The same word also has other meanings, a google search using "toxicom origin toxon bow biological" will show that instead of the word Bow, it could also mean biological agent.

RedTiger

Half mast

First time I've seen this quote from him. This is so on point and speaks so much.

Dumbstar

Supports
Liverpool
Being a Christian I have just found something that made the hairs stand up on the back of my neck. In the book of Revelation Chapter 6 , It talks of the first of the 4 horsemen of the Apocalypse, He is wearing a crown (Corona), and carries a bow, and goes out conquering and to conquer. Bow is translated from the ancient Greek word Toxon The same word also has other meanings, a google search using "toxicom origin toxon bow biological" will show that instead of the word Bow, it could also mean biological agent.
Series 6, Sam and Dean save us right?

RedTiger

Half mast

I've been trying to get some from my local halal shop, they were like 10 quid a bottle 2 weeks ago and now they're sold out.