Religion, what's the point?

Moby

Dick
Well I’m genuinely sorry that you had that experience. Had I had it too, then I may have developed a similar mindset to yourself.
It was no big deal here. Of the 12 years of schooling, I spent 6 years in a convent school (run by nuns) and the other 6 in one embedded with Hindu traditions.

So I am in a decent position to say how laughable it is to assert having religious values taught in a school has any effect whatsoever to the educational growth of any student.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
@Carolina Red the study that you shared is also true in France, it applies to religious schools and in general to private schools. In reality public schools are better, they simply on average start with worse students, that are in worse social conditions and with a larger difference of level between pupils which require more work and yet the end product is roughly the same.

tomaldinho1

I actually just posted a study a little bit above this that shows the schools he mentioned in England only do marginally better and only because they are selective in who they let in.
In the UK many Catholic schools do well but will be all girls schools and/or highly selective as you say. I went to C of E primary, the other side of the same coin, which for all intents and purposes is the common school system in the UK with some "light" religious aspects (we'd go to church many times a year, all school plays were Christianity themed etc. and we sung hymns exclusively). What pains me is that age for children is when they need to be learning useful things and yet, 30 odd years later, I remember word for word about 20 hymns about a God who I am certain doesn't exist and a religion I see as no more than a piece of fantasy literature which got a head of steam up and changed the world.

Moby

Dick
What pains me is that age for children is when they need to be learning useful things and yet, 30 odd years later, I remember word for word about 20 hymns about a God who I am certain doesn't exist and a religion I see as no more than a piece of fantasy literature which got a head of steam up and changed the world.
Amen to that brother.

nimic

something nice
Scout
Yes, they call it less and less that. The term meant the lack of evolution of humanity, between the advances of the Romans and close to the industrial revolution, the renascence (do you know why they call it that?). History like all facets of life is more and more infected by the virus of "don't upset" the believers.
No, that's not why. I'm not trying to defend the Catholic Church here (heh!), but your views on the Dark Ages are simply incorrect. I would suggest reading some more modern literature on it, and not just go into it with the idea that modern historians are "faking" history to not upset Christians.

Carolina Red

Staff
@Carolina Red the study that you shared is also true in France, it applies to religious schools and in general to private schools. In reality public schools are better, they simply on average start with worse students, that are in worse social conditions and with a larger difference of level between pupils which require more work and yet the end product is roughly the same.
That’s awesome and I appreciate the insight!

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
That’s awesome and I appreciate the insight!
Also I have an anecdotal example, I know people that have not been retained during their last year of highschool and the reason was that the school didn't want to take the risk of having a lower success rate, It was the Nevers Highschool in Montpellier.

Carolina Red

Staff
Also I have an anecdotal example, I know people that have not been retained during their last year of highschool and the reason was that the school didn't want to take the risk of having a lower success rate, It was the Nevers Highschool in Montpellier.
And this was at a faith based school, or just a private one?

Fingeredmouse

It's very difficult to cleanly separate religion and faith from culture though, particularly when it has provided the bedrock for cultures around the world for millennia now. Culture is like the air we breathe - it's just there, and it influences the identity of people (for good & bad) wherever they may be.

People don't exist in the abstract. They never have and never will.

Ok but let's examine the follow on from that. If this indoctrination is a bad thing (and it seems to me that indoctrination is intrinsically bad), what do you propose to replace it with and who decides? If we were to remove any kind of religious influence from education for example...well firstly that removes parental choice, and creates a situation where third parties know what's best for other people's children.
On the second point, yes I'd remove religion being taught as fact in schools but not education about religions in a an exploration of beliefs and cultures in a secular manner. Parental choice about whether they want to raise their child into a religion or not is a matter for their private lives and not the education system.

jackal&hyde

No, that's not why. I'm not trying to defend the Catholic Church here (heh!), but your views on the Dark Ages are simply incorrect. I would suggest reading some more modern literature on it, and not just go into it with the idea that modern historians are "faking" history to not upset Christians.
Ok. My point was about endless discutients on subjects that are not just poorly understood by the religious people, but made to be of importance to discuss (like this here). My point is the true nature of believing, the fear of death; through that, endless side stepping happen.

With all due respect, it is absurd of the highest degree to even attempt to discus real life issues, with a person that believes they are immortal or being re incarnated or what not. The very nature of there even being a dialoged between the "I'll be in heaven" people and reason, is testament to the patience of rational people.

Last edited:

Flying high

On the second point, yes I'd remove religion being taught as fact in schools but not education about religions in a an exploration of beliefs and cultures in a secular manner. Parental choice about whether they want to raise their child into a religion or not is a matter for their private lives and not the education system.
Well said.

Freedom from religion is just as important as freedom of religion.

BEST No7

Isn't it convenient too that planet earth is around 4.5 billion years old, and modern humans have only been around for a fraction of that time. Why wait that amount of time to "create" a species in his image? To spread his word? And all the other promises bestowed on man. The chosen ones....it's arrogant to believe we're special. Especially...when it was man that created this myth

Withnail

Isn't it convenient too that planet earth is around 4.5 billion years old, and modern humans have only been around for a fraction of that time. Why wait that amount of time to "create" a species in his image? To spread his word? And all the other promises bestowed on man. The chosen ones....it's arrogant to believe we're special. Especially...when it was man that created this myth
Oh the 'in his image' thing is a good one too. An omnipresent, omnipotent being with no need for a corporeal form somehow looked like a bi-pedal vertebrate life-form which evolved on this tiny planet billions of years after it was created.

BEST No7

Oh the 'in his image' thing is a good one too. An omnipresent, omnipotent being with no need for a corporeal form somehow looked like a bi-pedal vertebrate life-form which evolved on this tiny planet billions of years after it was created.
Well exactly. If we where, we sure as hell wouldn't be sitting here discussing it. If I was a god...I'd pick the dinosaurs. No mention in religion texts of the most dominate species to ever roam the planet. Or anything before modern man. Likes to keep his secrets the all knowing does...eh

calodo2003

Flaming Full Member
Well put.

nimic

something nice
Scout
Hell, take it one step further. Modern humans have been around for two or three hundred thousand years, and yet God waited until just 2000 years ago to send Jesus for our salvation. Think about all those uncountable people who never even had the opportunity to achieve salvation.

BEST No7

Hell, take it one step further. Modern humans have been around for two or three hundred thousand years, and yet God waited until just 2000 years ago to send Jesus for our salvation. Think about all those uncountable people who never even had the opportunity to achieve salvation.
He was on holiday after all that work he done Monday to Saturday...everyone needs a day off...even god

Zlaatan

Parody Account
It's because of culture and tradition, which some are labelling as indoctrination.
If your culture and tradition promotes religion X as the only religion and as the truth, and it's hammered into the minds of kids from the moment they are born then it is by definition indoctrination. Just because you don't like the word doesn't mean it's the incorrect one to use.

Carolina Red

Staff
If your culture and tradition promotes religion X as the only religion and as the truth, and it's hammered into the minds of kids from the moment they are born then it is by definition indoctrination. Just because you don't like the word doesn't mean it's the incorrect one to use.
Well said.

VidaRed

Unimaginative FC
He was brutal. He was not a barbarian (it means you weren’t Roman / Greek)
As far as i am concerned the word barbarian means primitive and uncivilized. Just because the greeks and then the romans were ignorant of other civilisations doesn't mean they were correct.

Fingeredmouse

As far as i am concerned the word barbarian means primitive and uncivilized. Just because the greeks and then the romans were ignorant of other civilisations doesn't mean they were correct.
The poster was referring to the fact that the effective word for foreigner in ancient Greek literally meant barbarian. Now that's cultural xenophobia for you.

Carolina Red

Staff
What my fingered friend said
The poster was referring to the fact that the effective word for foreigner in ancient Greek literally meant barbarian. Now that's cultural xenophobia for you.

Wibble

In Gadus Speramus
Staff
It's because of culture and tradition, which some are labelling as indoctrination.
Indoctrination is the process of teaching a person or group to accept a set of beliefs uncritically. The Catholic schools I went to and others I later taught in not only encouraged this uncritical acceptance but were proud of it.

Wibble

In Gadus Speramus
Staff
I agree about the Fermi Paradox. It's interesting as hell, but it's just guesswork.
And it is only a paradox because of the way it is worded. Obviously intelligent life capable of communication isn't that common but to fill the gaps with a god is baseless nonsense. It is also setting yourself up for a fall if we do discover life elsewhere.

MrMarcello

In a well-ordered universe...
“Men create gods after their own image, not only with regard to their form, but with regard to their mode of life.” Aristotle

PepG

Supports
Ajax
There is no point in religion except it is an opium of the people..

nimic

something nice
Scout
Carolina Red with the new, hot, right-off-the-presses memes. All the big brands are represented: Enron, Internet Explorer, Toys R Us :D

(I have no idea what the flag one is)