Remember the name

cyberman

Football is hereditary. You just need to look at the people who played pro football and their close relatives. You just need to look at people close to our team. Ferdinand brothers, Da Silva brothers, Pogba brothers, Neville brothers, Chicharito and family, Blind and father etc. I’m pretty sure if you look deeper you will even find those that we good at football but up to maybe League 1 or 2 which is still tough for a regular guy
Yep, thats the issue im seeing with Irish footballers who move to England. Talented sons are choosing to play for England and we are losing talented bloodlines through no fault of our own

Giggs' right foot

Sorry if I was unclear, the mention of the Forlan's and Maldini's were a separate point and more a general contribution to the thread - not proof of my thesis.

Although, the fact that so many people have mentioned high level professionals with fathers or sons achieving a high standard in the game means it's not actually that rare (relatively speaking), particularly when compared to the general population.
If you re-read the post I was responding to, the poster asked which father-son dynasties there’d been, who’s been successful. Everyone can mention the likes of Paul and Tom Ince, the Wright-Phillips, the Bruce’s - constellations like Peter and Kasper Schmeichel - where both were nationals, won PL and FA Cup and generally both were class - those are rare, that’s all I’m saying.

limerickcitykid

There once was a kid from Toronto...
Yep, thats the issue im seeing with Irish footballers who move to England. Talented sons are choosing to play for England and we are losing talented bloodlines through no fault of our own
What Irish player has moved to England and then their talented son has played for the senior England national team?

That isn’t even in the top 100 issues with Irish football.

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout
Football is hereditary. You just need to look at the people who played pro football and their close relatives. You just need to look at people close to our team. Ferdinand brothers, Da Silva brothers, Pogba brothers, Neville brothers, Chicharito and family, Blind and father etc. I’m pretty sure if you look deeper you will even find those that we good at football but up to maybe League 1 or 2 which is still tough for a regular guy
Probably does play a part, where the genes that are required to excel at football are passed on, but I imagine knowing how to train them well while they’re young and then contacts plays a huge part as well. With brothers I imagine scouts pay closer attention to the other after unearthing the first one.

Classical Mechanic

It happened in my family. 7 relatives that have played professional at some level, 5 of them in a father - son lineage. All descended from my maternal great great grandfather.

antohan

gets aroused by tagline boobs
I was thinking about this with Schmeichel. How many Dad-Son combos where both are relatively successful?

Frank Lampard / his Dad was one.

I don’t think Ian Wright/ SWP quite fits
Cesare and Paolo Maldini
Johann and Jordi Cruyff
Mazinho and Thiago Alcantara
Carles and Sergio Busquets (Carles being Barca's Van der Gouw through the 90s)
Kluivert, Blind... Dutch ones always seem to have a better father than son
Sammer's dad played at the 1974 WC for East Germany

Here in Uruguay:
Pablo and Diego Forlan
Julio Montero Castillo and Paolo Montero
Néstor and Jorge Gonçalves
Roberto and Gustavo Matosas

The last two pairs had parents winning the Libertadores with Peñarol in the 60s and sons winning it again in 1987. Only the Maldinis match that.

bazza3727

Alex and David Herd (father and son) played together at Stockport, before David eventually represented United.

Lebo

Probably does play a part, where the genes that are required to excel at football are passed on, but I imagine knowing how to train them well while they’re young and then contacts plays a huge part as well. With brothers I imagine scouts pay closer attention to the other after unearthing the first one.
True it does play a huge part but no matter how much you train someone less talented, they will never be Toure, De Gea etc. It’s even more apparent when you look at the Amature football. Best players in a certain community tend to be from particular families even if we all train together. I’m almost certain that the Rooney brothers would have been the best players in their community even without much training.

Ashish Negi

United U-12 lost 4-5 against Liverpool.

Rooney scoring all 4 of them.

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
Kai and Cristiano Jr leading the line in 10 years.

Walrus

Oppressed White Male
So with Rooney Sr. off to America, Kai will presumably follow him?
That said, ive seen stories that Coleen is going to stay in the UK, so maybe he (Kai) remains with her.