Replacing de gea should be the priority

avgp_1

Should have a look at Lafont from Nantes. Pulled off some amazing saves against Lille recently. Looks a fine shot stopper while being decent at collecting crosses and is comfortable with the ball as well.

Is quite young and Leicester are reportedly looking at him for around 20m

CloneMC16

The first signing should have been a #6. We don't even have a #6 in the squad. That had to be the first signing. The second should have been a replacement for De Gea. We've done neither. De Gea isn't only a problem for ETH. He has been a problem for a long time. United have continuously bought new defenders and all of them look shit. There is one man that never changes. We can keep buying new defenders and none will look good with him behind them.

Longshanks

Fair enough, but EtH knew who De Gea was and didin't replace him. I think he even said in one interview that De Gea can do what he needs him to do, when asked directly about it. There is no way we can replace De Gea now, definitely not this season. So if he cannot learn - EtH has to adapt his style accordingly - right? What other choice do we have? Can't just be bashing on De Gea and blaming him for everything.
Which Amsterdam coffee shop was ETH in when he said that!?

It does not take a genius to realise that De gea isn't capable of playing in a 'progressive side' infact I don't reckon there are many keepers around that are less capable.

There is nothing to suggest that De gea can play in a progressive side he has zero positive attributes to help towards.

ETH won't change his style, if he dosent sort the GK situation out it will cost him his job.

Shame he spent a third of his transfer budget on a CB that can't defend high balls against big strikers. I mean we already have lindelof so why?

Lee565

I don't even think getting an upgrade or a keeper at his level that is good with distribution is the hard or costly to come by.

He is by far the most over hyped player in the team when the general idea is that it would take signing a high profile world class keeper to replace him

rochdale31

De Gea's contract runs out next year. Unless the Glazers decide to extend his contract again he will have to be replaced next summer anyways.

Boondog

I've always liked De Gea for some reason. No idea why, as I think back on things. But obviously he's not long for this team.

It's kind of strange how he wasn't identified as a piece that had to be changed out. Almost as if they want to see him fail or something. Or maybe he was identified to be moved but the Glazers just aren't up for it this year.

hazldinho

De Gea's weaknesses come to the front when there isn't a strong defense and defensive midfielder in front of him. His distribution and command of his area are a big problem in this current Manchester United team.

He's always reminded me of Shay Given back at Newcastle years ago now, fantastic shot stopper and amazing highlight reel but you still lose.

Oh how I miss Edwin Van Der Sar at this club.

Lee565

Not as much disruption as de gea has already caused just playing, another naive decision by ten hag, other high profile managers have done far bigger revamps in their first season and manged fine, christ mourinho created a new 11 at Chelsea.

justsomebloke

Not as much disruption as de gea has already caused just playing, another naive decision by ten hag, other high profile managers have done far bigger revamps in their first season and manged fine, christ mourinho created a new 11 at Chelsea.
Yep, that is by now I think the main question hanging over ten Hag. He went with a strategy of leaving the core intact and supplementing it by incomings rather than move any important player out. He was clear about this in pre-season, and prioritised playing together a first XI from the existing pieces because he felt it was crucial to hit the ground running as this would generate buy-in for the system. And you can see the sense in that. After all, there were plenty of holes to fill without beginning to change key players he already had. And also, it makes sense to work with the players already there when you have limited time to install a new system.

However, that approach is running out of time. There can't be be many more results like the first two before it becomes a question of whether there's any buy in for the new system at all, or if you have to make the sort of pragmatic adjustments OGS did after Tottenham in 2020. Or before it becomes a pressing question if some starters should really be at the club.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
After casemiro fixing dm, he's easily the#1 priority to replace. He's complete dead as a player right now and with his mentality, I can see a really bad season from him. Will make too many mistakes with his shot stopping and handling, and the rest of his game is horrid.
Thanks for 2011 to 2018, but he's done now and will hold us back. A confident, strong goalkeeper who can be consistent with claiming crosses, not do what de Gea did at brenford ever, sweep half decently and not be an idiot with the ball at his feet... All I ask for.

ROBSON No7

I think his interview after the Brentford game was an insight into his mental state. He's devoid of confidence and struggling to adapt to the current situation. He's a liability.

I watched the recap of how we won the League Cup in 2017 and there was De Gea in the quarter final against West Ham, palming a Payet shot into the path of Fletcher for a tap in. An all too familiar sight and this was 5 years ago.

I doubt we will see him replaced this season though and Forest now have Hendo.

Jazz

Just in case anyone missed it. I don't like Mount.
I think his interview after the Brentford game was an insight into his mental state. He's devoid of confidence and struggling to adapt to the current situation. He's a liability.

I watched the recap of how we won the League Cup in 2017 and there was De Gea in the quarter final against West Ham, palming a Payet shot into the path of Fletcher for a tap in. An all too familiar sight and this was 5 years ago.

I doubt we will see him replaced this season though and Forest now have Hendo.
Yes for sure.

Jazz

Just in case anyone missed it. I don't like Mount.
It's the club's fault all the way. They allowed the players too much power, and now Erik has to navigate through a volatile dressing room to make changes. I kind of understand him not wanting to make too many changes. I suspect this was in part because the club was not 100% committed to getting rid of under performers (especially Dave who is on high wages), so ETH has to try and navigate the whole rotten situation.

Hopefully, we at least get a replacement or someone to 'challenge' him before Sept 1st. We really need to.

RopersReturn

It’s actually the biggest priority we have right now ( more important than the captaincy and the McT debacle).
If the Keeper isn’t dependable it affects the confidence of the whole squad. I remember the last time we had a slump and it was linked to de Gea going into meltdown, it’s clearly is a situation that needs to be addressed as a matter of urgency.

poleglass red

We've seemingly finally addressed the lack of a DM, if we bring in, even short term, a keeper comfortable with the ball at his feet and willing to come of his line, it would make a massive difference to our porous defence. Hell, thrown in a decent right back, who is somewhat comfortable in wanting to get up and down the wings, and we'd be in a lot better position moving forward