Replacing Ole

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cal?

CR7 fan
Far fewer question marks than most of course. I’m just comparing him to the indisputably elite coaches like Pep and Klopp because I don’t recall his Madrid dominating opponents with the consistency achieved by the other two.
Personally I think Zidane is the generation manager right now, he gets it right more often than not and certainly doesn't come up with strange systems in the biggest games for no apparent reason like Pep.

The Boy

Supports
Brighton and Hove Albion
That’s interesting. What do you think of Potter? I think Spurs fans are eyeing him too.
I think the world of Potter and he's doing superbly at Brighton, this is the best the club has performed ever in our history, and that includes an FA cup final (and a replay!) against you in 1983. This however is also our best squad ever and we should definitely have finished higher last season than we did. But that certainly doesn't mean I would like to see Potter replaced any time soon.

I would be surprised if Potter went to Spurs, he Ashworth (technical director) and Bloom (Owner) have the same vision for how we play, how we recruit and how we should progress and it works very well and he has repeatedly said how happy he is, we even extended his contract by a few years after he'd been with us for just a few months. He will go eventually but it will be to a bigger club than Spurs.

Potter is making some of your average player perform good. That is what good managers does. Without Potter, i can see you lot doing much worse. Last season, your performance didn’t match your result, so I believe Potter was unlucky to be fighting relegation with the way his team performed last season.
I don't disagree with that, I disagree with ridiculous statements like "Brighton have such a bad squad!"

We have a great squad. Arguably one of the best defences last season with plenty of options and even with White gone we have an excellent set of defenders this season, who wouldn't be out of place with a bigger team.

Bissouma, Sanchez, Lamptey and Trossard are all great players who again would easily fit into bigger premiership teams. And frankly as I said above, with the squad we have we should have finished quite a bit higher last season than we did. This season is looking better so far.

lilcurt

Ole won't cut it. I think we all know that deep down and I would ask anyone who disagrees to explain what they have seen in his tenure to think otherwise?

The issue we have is that 1) the board love Ole as he is more than a manager to them. He is a shield who they know quietens the discontent in the fanbase due to being a legend. 2) when you look who is available, the choices are so limited.

I wouldn't want Conte as I think he leaves clubs in a similar manner to Jose. Zidane I am concerned isn't at the level, he has won trophies with worldie squads but hasn't shown managerial innovation in my book. People calling for Potter are jokers, we tried unproven with Moyes and Ole, we need someone with a good brand of football, tactics and a proven winner.

Our loyalty works against us as we miss the very best to stick with what we have. If we don't make it out the CL group he has to go immediately after. If we fail to win a trophy he has to go in the summer, my worry is the club don't have that expectation and as long as we reach top 4 we will 'go again next season'.

Red the Bear

Something less generic
I'm ole in to be honest and think he may turn it around but for the sake of contributing to thread I list some of our option

Safe bets
Conte:he's out of job and seems to be looking for the opportunity to manage a top club approach and has shown interest in us and has already managed in epl winning in spectators fashion with Chelsea
Concerns:he's kinda shine in Europe with turns me if a tad but maybe he turns it around here? Also is bound to fallout with the management its just a matter of time

Zidane: he seems to be targeting France nt but having Ronaldo varane and pogba might sway him around and always did seem to have an affinity for us going back through the years so can see Ronaldo pushing for it

Concerns:has not managed in epl before and might need time to settle around and English might be a problem as I don't think he speaks it well (speaks espanish and italian) also for all who bash ole for not showing "patterns of play" they're in for a treat as he's in the same vain also he's had a rather dubious record with youth so might squander the likes of hanibal and garner

Now we go into active territory
Ten hag: has a good record with Ajax in Europe and domestically and will have his darling dvb over here also might contribute to us landing de jong from barca . can see us landing him seeing we have decent relation with the them Dutch boys

Concerns: unproven at a top club and seems to have bit of bottling in him Also the change of style might be too much to take in suddenly also not epl ready a tad risky to be honest

Brandon Rogers : epl ready and would probably jump ship given the offer

Concerns: bottler and has manged them scousers

Nuclear option:

Tuchel: knowing how Chelsea are he might be out of job come January and would probably love our roster of players
Concerns:not many to be honest hes the hot manager in demand right now due to his exploits though has combative personality with the board

Hipster choice

Someone like hasshulhut or Graham Potter or etc but can't honestly see us doing it as its just too risky and not something we're used to do
Also is extremely risky and might set the club back for a long time to come

Safe and unambitious choice
Appointment of caretaker ie Carrick or God forgive just give it to gigsy
Might be wise to wait around for summer to Appoiny a manager but will almost guarantee us not winning a title this year (unless Carrick is a genius and we didn't know about it)

One last dance
Just put Fergie on the phone and go one last round for old times sake

My top 3 picks would be Zidane conte ten hag in that order as they're all proven in one way or the other and seem to like us as a club

But in end Nothing can be safely predicted in football and I still have faith in ole to turn it around

Ayoba

Poster of Noncense.
My top 3 choices would be

Mancini
Zidane
Conte

Im certain we would win something with one of those incharge.

Red the Bear

Something less generic
My top 3 choices would be

Mancini
Zidane
Conte

Im certain we would win something with one of those incharge.
Mancini is not available at least till 2022 winter and even then that's assuming Italy have a disaster class in wc

duffer

Sensible and not a complete jerk like most oppo's
Scout
Ole isn't going anywhere (nor should he after 1 bad result, remember Tuchel getting battered by West Brom?).

That being said, Zidane at Man United would be fascinating.

Rash Decision

not to use the cream
I think the world of Potter and he's doing superbly at Brighton, this is the best the club has performed ever in our history, and that includes an FA cup final (and a replay!) against you in 1983. This however is also our best squad ever and we should definitely have finished higher last season than we did. But that certainly doesn't mean I would like to see Potter replaced any time soon.

I would be surprised if Potter went to Spurs, he Ashworth (technical director) and Bloom (Owner) have the same vision for how we play, how we recruit and how we should progress and it works very well and he has repeatedly said how happy he is, we even extended his contract by a few years after he'd been with us for just a few months. He will go eventually but it will be to a bigger club than Spurs.

I don't disagree with that, I disagree with ridiculous statements like "Brighton have such a bad squad!"

We have a great squad. Arguably one of the best defences last season with plenty of options and even with White gone we have an excellent set of defenders this season, who wouldn't be out of place with a bigger team.

Bissouma, Sanchez, Lamptey and Trossard are all great players who again would easily fit into bigger premiership teams. And frankly as I said above, with the squad we have we should have finished quite a bit higher last season than we did. This season is looking better so far.
I see, misunderstood your earlier post then! Thanks for the reply.

Edit: and yes I hope he won’t go to Spurs! Deserves a chance to excel at Brighton.

Godfather

None of may favorites available as other teams like Bayern were - as always - quicker and more progressive. Nagelsmann or Tuchel would have been great. From the rest probably Zidane

E-mal

I still think that the best scenario is that Ole pulls his finger out and sorts out this team. Not that hopeful of that, but it would be the best option. When I look at other options across Europe I don't see anyone who ticks every box. Conte would certainly get more out of this team than Ole, but that would also take us backwards on the things that Ole has done well, like building the squad and making the club a positive environment. Zidane is a decent manager but I can't help think that Real is his natural environment and he'd struggle elsewhere.

There are lots of up and coming managers around but it would be a huge step for most of them. Most of the experienced coaches are in positions they're unlikely to leave. So for the time being I think Ole is as good as it gets.
Get Enrique from Spain, simple as that.

Majima

Supports
Ralf Rangnick.
It's Zidane. He makes too much sense. The squad is ready to win today, and no-one knows how to win more than him. Pogba, Varane and Ronaldo are already here, and his style would suit us. Bonafide winner. A level up in all regards from Ole, and worthy of managing this squad we now have.

Last edited:

Rash Decision

not to use the cream
Personally I think Zidane is the generation manager right now, he gets it right more often than not and certainly doesn't come up with strange systems in the biggest games for no apparent reason like Pep.
I don’t agree because I think Pep’s teams are more dominant and consistent, and he’s much more of an innovator, but that’s fair. Zidane is better at some things and Pep is better at some other things.

lsd

The Oracle
It's not a kneejerk thread just wondering who can replace him that is available and will take United up a notch or two.

It couldn't be more kneejerk if you called it the kneejerk thread

Champ

Refuses to acknowledge existence of Ukraine
This season. You don't give up after so much backing/investment over the summer after 1 result. Even Chelsea don't do that

If you didn't lose last night this thread wouldn't exist
Says something about the level of posts on here when an opposition fan is the voice of reason!

(No offense of course, as your one of the decent ones!!)

Idxomer

Zidane obviously and one of the advantages of having him is that he wouldn't overstay his welcome.

Conte would also be good if only for his obsession with fitness and details.

Acheron

Supports
Real Madrid
Think Zidane would win a UCL or two, it's not prime Real Madrid but he would do better than this. :D

Jokes aside Manchester United should be trying to secure someone at the end of the season or the next one.

Ayoba

Poster of Noncense.
Says something about the level of posts on here when an opposition fan is the voice of reason!

(No offense of course, as your one of the decent ones!!)
An opposition fan who wants Ole to stay?? Hmm I wonder why

Bwuk

I've said it for a long time now - I think Ole does a lot of things right. He's built a good squad and improved the morale around the team massively.

I don't see us getting to the next level under him though.

Majima

Supports
Ralf Rangnick.
This season. You don't give up after so much backing/investment over the summer after 1 result. Even Chelsea don't do that

It's a thread that needs existing though. It's not 1 result. This was meant to be 'the one' for Ole, but we've started the season so poorly, last night or not. Southampton, Wolves, Newcastle, Young Boys. That's 4/5 opening games. We have been all over the place in them. Same old mistakes already happening again, like as if nothing has been learnt. Whilst Ronaldo has truly papered over the cracks so far.

We can't put up with that for long, if we're serious about our ambitions this season. We should be able to see the writing on the wall, and react to it, no matter how it looks/feels.

Last edited:

The Boy

Supports
Brighton and Hove Albion
I see, misunderstood your earlier post then! Thanks for the reply.

Edit: and yes I hope he won’t go to Spurs! Deserves a chance to excel at Brighton.
No problem I was just responding to the poster that said Brighton had such a bad squad.

Nou_Camp99

what would Souness do?
Or how about you self entitled fans who would probably support Chelsea or City if you were born in a latter decade get behind our manager. We are top of the PL FFS.

We lost last night because of a red card. We would have won 2 or 3 nil most likely 11 vs 11. Chelsea had Thiago Silva sent off in 30th minute at home to Westbrom in April and lost 5-2. It's not easy playing with ten men.

Wan Bissaka is the reason we lost and obviously Lingard has to take some of the Blame too for a horrendous pass.

largelyworried

Or how about you self entitled fans who would probably support Chelsea or City if you were born in a latter decade get behind our manager. We are top of the PL FFS.

We lost last night because of a red card. We would have won 2 or 3 nil most likely 11 vs 11. Chelsea had Thiago Silva sent off in 30th minute at home to Westbrom in April and lost 5-2. It's not the easy playing with ten men.

Wan Bissaka is the reason we lost and obviously Lingard had to take some of the Blane too for a horrendous pass.
I'm not advocating getting rid but that is no sort of defence. The problem with our inability to keep controlled possession stems back years under Ole. And while Chelsea did indeed lose 5-2 with ten men, Tuchel had only been there a couple of months and they've since proven their credentials by winning the Champions League. All that shows is how quickly a good manager can improve a team.

Godfather

Yeah I get where you are coming from but some on here make you believe yesterday was something out of order. The circumstances where special with going down to 10 men so early on but the way Ole reacted was something we've seen quite often. He looked out of ideas and frankly overwhelmed, which is worrying.

mav_9me

I've said it for a long time now - I think Ole does a lot of things right. He's built a good squad and improved the morale around the team massively.

Well said. I think a lot of posters would agree with you.

Nou_Camp99

what would Souness do?
I'm not advocating getting rid but that is no sort of defence. The problem with our inability to keep controlled possession stems back years under Ole. And while Chelsea did indeed lose 5-2 with ten men, Tuchel had only been there a couple of months and they've since proven their credentials by winning the Champions League. All that shows is how quickly a good manager can improve a team.
And why was he joining Chelsea mid season in the first place?

He got sacked for being 2nd in the farmers league with PSG. Lille had a budget a tenth of their size and were ahead.

So he does make mistakes clearly....

Godfather

We lost last night because of a red card.
No we lost because they scored two goals when we were down to 10 men. Which was a result of us completely giving up on any control, sit back and invite pressure. Instead of trying to keep the ball within our ranks, we sat deep in our own box and hoofed the ball forward at any opportunity. We looked panicky and scared. I hoped for a bit more control even down to 10, which I agree is not easy. But look at our squad and compare it to theirs for heaven's sake.

mav_9me

I would say the frustration does not come from the result but from the performance ending in that result. And his record in Europe which does not bode well for the rest of the group stage.

YikesSchmeics

While I agree that last night was another Ole clanger, lets retain some perspective shall we?

Klopp lost all 3 away games to PSG, Napoli and Red Star Belgrade in 2019, but went on to win the competition.

Ita game week 1. Nobody is getting sacked, so lets calm the jets.

Nou_Camp99

what would Souness do?
No we lost because they scored two goals when we were down to 10 men. Which was a result of us completely giving up on any control, sit back and invite pressure. Instead of trying to keep the ball within our ranks, we sat deep in our own box and hoofed the ball forward at any opportunity. We looked panicky and scared. I hoped for a bit more control even down to 10, which I agree is not easy. But look at our squad and compare it to theirs for heaven's sake.
Teams who get a man sent off in first half often go on to lose. You should look it up.

Green Arrow

Yep I would agree with this statement, he's stabalised the club he has gotten rid of deadwood (Smalling and James not nearly enough should be more).

I think he's reached his ceiling as what he can do as a manager and he needs to go. Only thing is he's signed a new contract with the club and as long as he's gets top four he ain't going no where. His subs last night did not make sense at all he changed formation to a back five to a team that was not a threat. Ronaldo is only here for another two years do you think he will put up with that kind of performance again I don't think so.

mav_9me

If Ole was to be sacked anytime soon, which he won't be, it would be Zidane for me.
I guess I agree but I worry how good a coach he is, and if he can overcome our lack of midfield and improve us. I am not convinced but we may not have any other option.

Status
Not open for further replies.