Republic Of Ireland Football Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

RaddyRed

Supports
Henrik Larsson
Does Top 3 qualify? Or is it 2? Either way we are probably fecked.
Top 2 and then we need an awful lot of good luck with other teams qualifying / not qualifying to get a play off.

To be fair, we are an awful team at the minute and finishing top 2 in and group would have been a challenge.

Looking forward to a trip to Athens anyway.

Withnail

Is there any way Kenny can survive this draw? For me yes, but I don't imagine the general patience will survive a few pastings.

Or will the obvious underdog role play well for us?
There's no disgrace losing to France and Holland. If we put up a decent performance he shouldn't have to walk for not qualifying from that group.

moses

Can't We Just Be Nice?
Staff
There's no disgrace losing to France and Holland. If we put up a decent performance he shouldn't have to walk for not qualifying from that group.
I agree but the longer it goes on the less sense or logic will prevail. It will become a topic on the Joe Duffy show and we'll have another Henry Hand ball avalanche of stupidity to factor in.

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
Unfortunately I think not. I’ve been enjoying us under Kenny, first time really being excited by Ireland in a long time. Our squad is a bit shit, but we’ve got some good young players that I’ve enjoyed watching coming through. Think this may be a bridge too far though, no chance we get through the bridge and possible that a couple of pastings by the big teams will damage morale and lead to Kenny’s exit.
Ireland FAI need to stay strong and recognise that he’s on the path to developing a style, bringing young players through. It’s a tough draw for sure but that’s all it is even in the event of finishing bottom. He’s still the right man for the longer term

BerryBerryShrew

I agree but the longer it goes on the less sense or logic will prevail. It will become a topic on the Joe Duffy show and we'll have another Henry Hand ball avalanche of stupidity to factor in.
Ugh, I still have PTSD from that. Clowns who couldn't tell the difference between a rugby ball and a football ringing up Joe to air their precious opinions on a player they didn't know existed up until a week previously.

On Kenny, I agree completely. As long as we show progress in our playing style and look competitive against Greece then he should be safe but empty cans make the most noise and the general public will vocally want him out when we lose against the big two of the group. I hope the FAI have enough cop on to listen to actual Irish fans (who all seem to hold Stee-o in high regard) rather than the irrelevant majority but I have my doubts.

Status
Not open for further replies.